ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Sanders Declares for NBA Draft

What is Corey Sanders record as point guard in his career against Top 200 schools?
How bad have we been the past 2 years offensively?
How many people argue that basketball can be turned around quicker than football because it only takes 1 or 2 good players?

At some point isn't the conclusion that Corey Sanders is a part of the problem. Isn't his position the most important on the court?

I am the 1st to argue against using stats...so this may be a weak argument....

Corey is ranked 88 out of 88 in offensive rating in B1G for players who have enough minutes to qualify. Way below #87.

While I don't think Sanders will ever be an NBA player (he has almost no jump shot and still can't finish going left), it's hard to pin our problems on him. He is honestly the only B1G-level talent on this team right now. He would be a much better player if we didn't have a roster full of low-level D1 players at best.

Talent doesn't win games. Execution does.

When you can't shoot and don't pass it doesn't matter how many people you can beat off the dribble.

You can't win.

He needs to be dedicated to improve his craft.

But you've got to have talent to win in the B1G, and we don't right now.

While I feel Sanders improved defensively this year, I'm not sure if it's only because Pikiell demands defense and Jordan couldn't care less. Unlike others on this board, I don't feel Sanders improved in any other way this year.

Sanders has upside because I kind of feel like this is the first year has has been coached, and he has superior athleticism. However, although shooting can always improve, there is no way I'll ever believe that he will someday be a good shooter.

But you've got to have talent to win in the B1G, and we don't right now.

While I feel Sanders improved defensively this year, I'm not sure if it's only because Pikiell demands defense and Jordan couldn't care less. Unlike others on this board, I don't feel Sanders improved in any other way this year.

Sanders has upside because I kind of feel like this is the first year has has been coached, and he has superior athleticism. However, although shooting can always improve, there is no way I'll ever believe that he will someday be a good shooter.

My question is what is talent? Maybe Sanders is gifted athleticly, but not talented. He does NOT have the primary skills to be a useful point guard. Until he attains them his personal and our team upside is capped. Capped pretty low.

List the characteristics of the 16 point guards in the Sweet 16 and most will have similarities. NONE will sound like Corey.

Can't believe how salty people are being in this thread ... if he gets picked in the draft should we not support him 100% ?? As we would with any NBA player from Rutgers? And if you think he won't get picked then why worry at all? I don't see any reason for the "he's not ready needs to improve" posts, if it's true than he will be back so don't worry about it!! And like others said no one knows the deal maybe Pikiell and co have all agreed for him to go to the draft so he can be evaluated and given feedback to improve his game for next year with no intention of actually playing in the league next year. And then a bunch of people on here just bash him. Not the real fans

It amazes me the amount of negativity on a message board for a team of whom the people commenting are supposedly fans of.

Like any college player Corey has his flaws and that is expected to be the case at the age of 20. Anyone who watches this team regularly knows what they are (lack of left handed drive, FT shooting & to a degree the step back shot). But despite those flaws his play from Freshman year to Sophomore year are Knight and Day.

Under Jordan there was no defense played by this team, and Corey has bought into it and exceled at it this season for periods of time. His field goal efficiency has gone up, yes he was scoring more last season by a small majority, but he was also taking a lot more shots. Towards the end of the season you saw his 3 point percentage go up and make a much higher rate and hopefully that trend continues throughout his junior campaign. As for the FT shooting, yes he needs to improve, part of that may come from a true PG and therefore Corey is not spent at parts of the game and can be a 2 and have fresher legs with less minutes. I think he realizes that if he can get it to the mid 70% range how much more that will add to his scoring and threat. Also noticeable under Pike is Corey's attitude, last year he knew he got away with stuff and even though Jordan sat him, I don't think that phased him. Now under Pike despite coming back from break late he realizes that Pike will sit you for those slip ups and has matured greatly and he has become more vocal and focused.

There is no denying the world of talent that he has, and it is not fair at all to bash the kid for going to get advice from those at the next level to determine what they are seeing that he needs to work on to achieve his dream. The haters want to bash on the kid, but put yourself in his shoes and in your profession, free advice on how to get to the next level and all I need to know is where to sign me up. He has to do what is best for him and his family and that is what being a man is about, and I don't think he is doing anything but that.

We all (well most of us) would love to see Corey back on the banks and believe that he will be back, but do not criticize the kid for doing what has to do to become a better player.

When you can't shoot and don't pass it doesn't matter how many people you can beat off the dribble.

You can't win.

I would agree. However, Sanders does not have sharpshooters around him at the minute. Just give the kid some time. He has a high level of athleticism that you keep around, and work on developing. It is not all his fault. He is part of a group process.

Everyone has to take a breath. He is an 18 year old sophomore. He is not a finished, senior product.

You can't win.

My question is what is talent? Maybe Sanders is gifted athleticly, but not talented. He does NOT have the primary skills to be a useful point guard. Until he attains them his personal and our team upside is capped. Capped pretty low.

List the characteristics of the 16 point guards in the Sweet 16 and most will have similarities. NONE will sound like Corey.

Talent wins games. Period.

BUT, let's not confuse talent as a synonym for athleticism. Basketball talent includes athleticism but is not limited to it. Many people make this error (a language issue as much as anything else).

To have basketball talent you need to have the best combination of athleticism (includes hand eye coordination not just explosive traits), fundamental basketball skills (i.e. dribbling, shooting, passing, etc), and basketball IQ to cultivate those aforementioned traits in order to defend both on/off ball properly, navigating screens, identify game strategy based on situations, what type of pass to make, timing etc. So many other things.

Make no mistake we lack talent at all positions. We have athleticism at some but not many.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Everyone has to take a breath. He is an 18 year old sophomore. He is not a finished, senior product.
An 18 year old sophomore? Most freshman basketball players are older than 18 these days. Sanders will turn 20 in April

Reactions: MV9000
I really do not understand the attacks on Corey in this thread.

Firstly, it is his right to declare for the NBA draft and determine where his "value" may currently be. He is a 20 year old kid who happens to be a great basketball player. yes, great! Great enough to be in the NBA- someday- quite possibly. Does he have flaws- of course he does- its his job to work on them and make his dream a reality. Why do people here need to SH&T on them?

Secondly, as BK pointed out, we do not know what has been discussed behind closed doors. I'm sure SP and staff are communicating with him.

Thirdly, I read claims of people saying he just needs to work hard or get to work- how do any of you know what he is doing or how hard he is or isn't working?

Lastly, you can be certain that the coaching staff knows what he needs to be working on to improve as a player AND teammate.

I feel like the poor kid is being indicted for having dreams, yet some here just think its OK to chop him down!

What is Corey Sanders record as point guard in his career against Top 200 schools? . . .
Corey Sanders has a record against entire teams? I did not know that. Is this some sort of pick-up league, or is it like that guy years ago who challenged entire teams to volleyball games. Jeez, Sanders may be better than I thought.

Reactions: RickB113
Green,

You are sounding like bac now. Just really really poor understanding of the game. You know who else agrees you are wrong, Pikiel. He played Corey BY FAR the most minutes on the team. So he disagrees that we are better off without him or maybe he was trying to lose?

Green,

You are sounding like bac now. Just really really poor understanding of the game. You know who else agrees you are wrong, Pikiel. He played Corey BY FAR the most minutes on the team. So he disagrees that we are better off without him or maybe he was trying to lose?

Agree with kYk, and Knight said he is the best athlete at guard he has coached.
I would definitely say we would not be better as a team without him. He still poses matchup problems for most teams and if we can find a few more options for him, it can open better opportunities for our offense.
Next season will be better.

ADVERTISEMENT