ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Cornell beats Rutgers, 18-16

I believe Aragono problem might be more mental. I also dont agree with redshirting everyone. Some kids dont want to do 5 years of college wrestling.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Most frustrating night of my 65+ years of watching RU wrestling. We took the crowd out of the meet after 125 until 174. We can’t make the mistakes we made. Scott is right in that in most of the upcoming meets except PSU they are 5/5 matches so we need bonus points to win.

I believe Aragono problem might be more mental. I also dont agree with redshirting everyone. Some kids dont want to do 5 years of college wrestling.

Seems that way to me as well. It appears he is lacking confidence for some reason. Not sure if he is still injured or something but he is watching the clock a ton and not just wrestling constantly for 7 minutes.

Really is a shame JoJo didn’t want to red shirt. I admire the competitor in him to want to wrestle right away but if he just took this year to learn and work on his weak spots I think he’d have a great shot at competing for AA all four years. Not to say he still won’t but he would have benefited bigly. Spilt milk at this point and happy to have have him regardless.

[QUOTE="JudgeSmails56, post:
If I ever hit the powerball I’ll send 5 mil to match The psu budget.[/QUOTE]

THIS! The unique relationship among RU Wrestling, Rutgers University and Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club & NJ Regional Training Center cannot be overstated and are of vital importance to the RU Wrestling program. It is a rather technically convoluted discussion but can be simplified to the bottom line. The elite programs have a well-funded Wrestling Club that hires Resident Athletes to train with their wrestlers. The more funding, the more Resident Athletes they hire for the 10 weight classes. Other top programs have triple what SKWC has in terms of funding and Resident Athletes. It is the NUMBER ONE recruiting question...who will I train with? Enough said.

Btw, Rutgers University does everything it is allowed to do to support RU Wrestling. Rutgers University can not fund SKWC and therefore, can not fund Resident Athletes. It’s up to the tireless efforts of the volunteers of SKWC to fundraise for it. SKWC is an independent, nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization, founded in 2011. So, when you complain...maybe think about what you can do to help to make a difference as well as complain. Volunteer & spread the word (that’s free), become a member of SKWC &/or Boom Club ($25 - $150 - $600+), buy a raffle ticket for $50, make a pin pool pledge for as little as $1/pin, etc. It takes a village. Be part of the solution and the Village. If you haven’t noticed...it’s R Time to go!!! Let’s gooooooo!

Go RU!
Diane

Really is a shame JoJo didn’t want to red shirt. I admire the competitor in him to want to wrestle right away but if he just took this year to learn and work on his weak spots I think he’d have a great shot at competing for AA all four years. Not to say he still won’t but he would have benefited bigly. Spilt milk at this point and happy to have have him regardless.

I agree except for “happy to have him regardless”. The circumstances around why he is in the lineup when he’s clearly not ready should be explained by coach. This is a glaring and obvious mistake. What did coach see or say that made him think this is a good idea? If it’s “he wasn’t coming here without starting (or something along those lines), then I’m not happy with him “regardless”.

I like supporting the program, but after seeing our best recruit in years be mismanaged, I have to wonder, are my checks better spent on wrestle for life, or wrestle like a girl? And I honestly believe candor about this situation would go a lot further than the pollyanna routine.

The jury is still out on if he is wasted scholarship dollars or not, but how this whole thing was handled is just.... ugh.

I agree except for “happy to have him regardless”. The circumstances around why he is in the lineup when he’s clearly not ready should be explained by coach. This is a glaring and obvious mistake. What did coach see or say that made him think this is a good idea? If it’s “he wasn’t coming here without starting (or something along those lines), then I’m not happy with him “regardless”.

I like supporting the program, but after seeing our best recruit in years be mismanaged, I have to wonder, are my checks better spent on wrestle for life, or wrestle like a girl? And I honestly believe candor about this situation would go a lot further than the pollyanna routine.

The jury is still out on if he is wasted scholarship dollars or not, but how this whole thing was handled is just.... ugh.
I’d argue Glasgow was more mismanaged last year than JoJo has been this year. Imagine if JoJo wasn’t 100% and the coaches kept throwing him out there at 149, but I digress.

I guess the question for me is basically would u rather have started Lipari for one year and risk losing Aragona or let JoJo wrestle and have him for four years. If you’re taking the long term view it’s a simple answer...at least in my humble opinion.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
The last recruiting class had several big time recruits, they were #4 rated.
Right now, Alvarez's wrestling skills have translated better to the college Mat.
Sammi seems like he has skills in all 3 aspects of game.

Aragona needs work on bottom, but once he gains some confidence, he should be with Alvarez.

Kanniard is adjusting to college and his neutral game seems very strong.
Havent seen enough from the other RS (and turley)

The redshirts last year have been great.
Who expected this improvement from Agular?
I think Janzer needs more offense, but he seems to be picking up his game (last night wins was HUGE).

I know Lipari was a solid contributor, but he was not beating Lipari.
Is Turley injured? Possibly to apply for a medical redshirt?

We need 2 or 3 more straight good recruiting classes to stack this team.

I am hoping Shawver from Ohio can come in and RS next year.
Continue our lower weight domincance

I let JoJo walk.

I don’t think he should have been allowed to override the coaches opinion on if he was ready (if that happened).

and it’s even worse if the coaches thought he was ready.

Malcom last year wasn’t ready either. Making the same mistake over and over isn’t a good defense.

IMO Camp Aragona stipulated to Goodie he didn't want to RS and strongly hinted they would pack up their tents if asked to. Goodie, at this point, couldn't risk calling his bluff.....

IMO Camp Aragona stipulated to Goodie he didn't want to RS and strongly hinted they would pack up their tents if asked to. Goodie, at this point, couldn't risk calling his bluff.....

That doesn't sound like Goodale (from what I have seen). He has always let the best wrestler pick their weight (Richie Lewis, JVB last year). If Aragona was the best wrestler, you go with him. No one knows what injuries will occur during the year. Maybe in 2 years RU will be in a position to Red Shirt everybody, but currently, they are not.

then I hate to say but if he won’t stand up to a kid, he isn’t the right guy for the job anymore.

if he botches Aragonas career, that’s fuel for literally everyone we recruit against. By letting Aragona win this battle, every time we recruit a kid who is at the top of the rankings, the competition will say “they don’t develop talent right”.

anyway you slice it, this isn’t okay.

I let JoJo walk.

I don’t think he should have been allowed to override the coaches opinion on if he was ready (if that happened).

Malcom last year wasn’t ready either. Making the same mistake over and over isn’t a good defense.
Seems Goody bit the bullet on this to keep the “prize” recruit of the class. At least the prize recruit at the time. Right now it looks like Sammy will be the crown jewel of last years class.

Robinson, IMO, was never going to be a legitimate varsity contributor. His senior year was all over the map and far too inconsistent to expect much. Not sure how much the coaches really mattered here in terms of his freshman production. Speaks more to a failure in talent evaluation during the recruiting process.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Not sure how many on here know Aragona gpa and test scores but those who do aren't questioning the move.Some kids benefit more from the structure of being with the team.I said before this decision was made with more then just wrestling involved.If he RS and is going to opens and not around the team traveling his grades could easily become a issue

I let JoJo walk.

Not sure what you are saying about Robinson, but he redshirted last year. And really not a big deal if he did not redshirt.

Too many people get caught up on who redshirts....people were complaining that they blew Metzlers redshirt for only two duals his freshman year. Well he is in redhsirt this year(and most likely will never start again). So did that really matter.

Turley-he and coaches at beginning of season thought he was the best option at 165(which myself and many others thought also). Obviously it did not really work out, but he will redshirt behind Grello next year and compete with O'neill the following year. This reminds me of Delvecchio who started as a true frosh at 125 then could not make weight any longer and was a back up at 133. Then redshirted later on in his career.

Aragona-sure it looks like right now it was a mistake to send him out this year, but their are other reasons he/coaching staff wanted him to go this year if he was the best option.

Coaches look at roster and make decisions based on current year and upcoming years.

We knew this was a rebuilding year and Aguilar, Alvarez, Janzer look great. I am still high on Aragona as well.

Posters are making a lot of assumptions and statements about redshirting. They must enjoy complaining. Coach Goodale is very open when asked a question. Go to a membership meeting or skull session and ask. I have not seen the coach duck a question.

For those saying someone should redshirt, what would you say if a freshman consistently beats a senior in the room, in practice matches, and in the wrestle-off?

I love how some posters believe they know more than the coaches. I guess it is the right of posters to give opinions and it does make for good reading material.

Bc if the freshman is beating the senior by 1 or 2 pts or ot then there’s not much of a difference between them. So you let the freshman get a year of college wrestling under his belt, get stronger and more mature and more prepared and the senior finishes his career. It works.

Bc if the freshman is beating the senior by 1 or 2 pts or ot then there’s not much of a difference between them. So you let the freshman get a year of college wrestling under his belt, get stronger and more mature and more prepared and the senior finishes his career. It works.

There are many factors that go into who the coaches think should start.
So if a true freshman at wrestle offs beat a junior 3-1 in overtime and a junior 5-3 you would redshirt the true freshman?????

Yes, that was Alvarez beating Metzler in ot and Firestone 5-3. Think the coaching staff picked the correct starter.

I think it has to be decided based on the individuals. It seemed like Jojo and Lipari were ext close, AND Lipari has had success last year. You weren’t losing much with Lipari. Can you say that abt meltzer/Firestone?????????
What your saying is that every case be decided the same way which is bs

I think it has to be decided based on the individuals. It seemed like Jojo and Lipari were ext close, AND Lipari has had success last year. You weren’t losing much with Lipari. Can you say that abt meltzer/Firestone?????????
What your saying is that every case be decided the same way which is bs

I did not say every case should be decided the same way...you said if a true freshman is super close to a senior the true freshman should redshirt. I pointed out that Alvarez was super close at the beginning of the year.
I also think you are over-rating Lipari. He was 13-14 last season.

First of all I said freshman/ senior. You compared freshman/jr.
I don’t think you can compare Lipari to meltzer, no disrespect to SM. Lipari wrestled tough and kept a lot of matches tight vs tough comp, and qualified. How did SM do?? If you look at the body of work of all 4 (before the season) it’s obvious Jojo should’ve RS.

Relax everybody. It's ok if Aragona isn't a freshman AA. He's learning the ropes and adjusting to college wrestling. Not everyone can be Spencer Lee. We wanted Jojo to be that caliber, but let's be honest. He didnt have that type of resume. Let him develop and in the meantime, let Goody and the staff work with him and continue to bring highly rated recruits into the program at the same time.

Last edited:
JoJo probably should have redshirted but for a number of reasons, didn’t. I think we’ve covered all the points and we should move on. He’s the 141 starter for the rest of the season.

Rider match should be fun. God help this forum if Lipari comes away with a victory.

Agree I’m rooting for Jojo to beat Lipari it’s not a personal thing, just think What would have been best for both of them and the team in long run.

Agree I’m rooting for Jojo to beat Lipari it’s not a personal thing, just think What would have been best for both of them and the team in long run.

I want Lipari beat JoJo to prove to the coaches that they made a big blunder. It's clear JoJo could have significantly benefited from RS...what a waste of a year. Also, Lipari was a loyal RU wrestler with similar level as JoJo, should get the nod over the freshman.

I want Lipari beat JoJo to prove to the coaches that they made a big blunder. It's clear JoJo could have significantly benefited from RS...what a waste of a year. Also, Lipari was a loyal RU wrestler with similar level as JoJo, should get the nod over the freshman.
giphy.gif

To prove you know more than our coaches???? Loser.

Not sure what you are saying about Robinson, but he redshirted last year. And really not a big deal if he did not redshirt.

Too many people get caught up on who redshirts....people were complaining that they blew Metzlers redshirt for only two duals his freshman year. Well he is in redhsirt this year(and most likely will never start again). So did that really matter.

Turley-he and coaches at beginning of season thought he was the best option at 165(which myself and many others thought also). Obviously it did not really work out, but he will redshirt behind Grello next year and compete with O'neill the following year. This reminds me of Delvecchio who started as a true frosh at 125 then could not make weight any longer and was a back up at 133. Then redshirted later on in his career.

Aragona-sure it looks like right now it was a mistake to send him out this year, but their are other reasons he/coaching staff wanted him to go this year if he was the best option.

Coaches look at roster and make decisions based on current year and upcoming years.

We knew this was a rebuilding year and Aguilar, Alvarez, Janzer look great. I am still high on Aragona as well.

Re: Robinson I meant Glasgow. That’s my bad. Sorry.

will read rest of this later. At the airport to leave cold NJ for sunny golf in Orlando.

I agree with you and coaches have to make long term choices because of limited amount of scholarships per team. You can’t redshirt everyone especially guys receiving significant money that might not be the answer. If you want top 10 guys each year you have to some money available.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Suriano is Olympic redshirt... so it's irrelevant.... Cornell's three Olympic redhshirts injected into their lineup means Cornells wins those matches big time.....We got to plow with the horses we got....
Cornell came out with 4 ORS at 125 (NCAA 4th), 141 (Yianni), 165 (Greco-Roman U23 world team), and 184 (NCAA 2nd/8th). Injuries to starters at 157 (Yapoujian freshman 12-3 when injured), 174 (All-American), and 197 (All-American).

Reactions: nathan125
first off a disgusting loss. the 149, 157 and 165 kids at cornell were no good (for this level) . they absolutely wanted it more. i sat there is disbelief, so did the crowd, sans the quietest RAC in sometime. jojo match was hard fought and the other kid was pretty good.

Noah Baughman has a pin of Piccinninni and a 1-0 loss to then-defending NCAA champion Darian Cruz in the EIWA finals on his resume. A loss to him isn't a terrible thing.

Rooting against an RU wrestler just to satisfy your ego?? GTFO!!!! Aragona EARNED the right to represent RU at 141.... Whether he's 1pt better or 10 pts better is moot... The only thing that's clear is that he's slumping right now... Still a whole lot of season left to turn it around...

Another idiotic suggestion ..let’s all root against our own wrestler lol....and exactly what does that accomplish ...to make our coaches look bad ...that’s sure is a RU fan for you!

Reactions: scottsdaleal
ADVERTISEMENT