ADVERTISEMENT

Court Club meeting last night.

goru7

All American
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
Interesting stuff from Coach last night. We might be a little surprised that our offense might be good with better shooting and passing but our defense , which has been our signature the last 2 years is not yet up to snuff. Coach will be playing lots of guys, maybe 10 deep with different funky lineups but Coach is very impressed with the versatility of a number of players. We will have 4 legitimate 3 point shooters, Geo, Kiss, Harper, and Issa so the ball should go through the hoop more and the scoring average hopefully will be increased by 10. Interesting battle up front for minutes with both Shaq’s , Myles, , Mamadou. Gave a breakdown on each player and said that Myles is clearly the best passer on the team and can also get us a bucket down low when we need one to stop a run. Clearly the best passing team he has had in 3 years. Finally, we could not have a better coach at Rutgers right now. He loves this place, plays to win, has implemented his vision with this roster which is only going to get better and better. We will likely be dancing next year or the following. Very exciting time to be a basketball fan at Rutgers.

Thanks goru.

Seems like (at least down the road) coach is expecting a lot from Ron and Myles.

Reactions: Scangg
it was good to hear Harper had 7 threes in the two scrimmages and Myles led team in scoring in one scrimmage...Geo also had 10 assists and 0 turnovers in one scrimmage. Harper appears to be a future star and may develop into a stretch 4. He can really handle the ball and is a really good shooter. Great meeting with Coach Pike ... just love the energy and that he has a plan for success.

it was good to hear Harper had 7 threes in the two scrimmages and Myles led team in scoring in one scrimmage...Geo also had 10 assists and 0 turnovers in one scrimmage. Harper appears to be a future star and may develop into a stretch 4. He can really handle the ball and is a really good shooter. Great meeting with Coach Pike ... just love the energy and that he has a plan for success.
Anything else, re: scrimmages.

After the meeting, I picked up a tidbit from a very good source that “Mulcahy gets the ball from day 1” next year. Seems the thought is he will be very good from the get go.

Also, nothing is wrong with Montez. Coach was complimentary of him throughout, said he will play a lot and will need to work on his defense like any freshman. Pikiell said he can be a great defender.

Coach spoke very highly of Mathis. He said he is really physical and takes it hard to the basket. He thinks he will be an outstanding defensive player. He said he is a taller version of mike Williams but he takes it to the basket which Mike hardly ever did. Coach is just so upbeat.

Anything else, re: scrimmages.
Pikiell doesn't want to give out much information regarding scrimmages because future opponents might get a tape to watch.He also mentioned using different lineups that probably won't be used during games to see how players perform and also confuse future opponents .He picked the two opponents for the scrimmage because of confidence the 2 head coaches wouldn't divulge information.

Coach spoke very highly of Mathis. He said he is really physical and takes it hard to the basket. He thinks he will be an outstanding defensive player. He said he is a taller version of mike Williams but he takes it to the basket which Mike hardly ever did. Coach is just so upbeat.
I think Mike tried to, but he was a little undersized, so it wasn't always in his best interest. Don't think that will be an issue with Mathis.

What's up with Montez?

Maybe we should give Peter Kiss some love too. Perhaps he won the job for now.

He has experience and is supposed to be a good teammate and hopefully an improved shooter.

Maybe we should give Peter Kiss some love too. Perhaps he won the job for now.

He has experience and is supposed to be a good teammate and hopefully an improved shooter.
I dont think people are disrespecting Kiss by asking about Mathis... they're just excited about the highest rated recruit of Pike's tenure and want info...

I dont think people are disrespecting Kiss by asking about Mathis... they're just excited about the highest rated recruit of Pike's tenure and want info...

I misread the post then, I thought it was a question of why he isn’t starting. My bad

In wrapping up each class and ending with this freshman class, RS Johnson, Mathis, McConnell, Harper he stated " That's a BIG ten class!!"

Wasn't Ash also upbeat before football started?
But, thank God we have something else to cheer for. I'm thinking both mens and womens BB should be a lot more fun this season.

Interesting stuff from Coach last night. We might be a little surprised that our offense might be good with better shooting and passing but our defense , which has been our signature the last 2 years is not yet up to snuff. .

Uh-oh. Sounds like Iowa last year! ;)

Wasn't Ash also upbeat before football started?
But, thank God we have something else to cheer for. I'm thinking both mens and womens BB should be a lot more fun this season.
Don’t even try mentioning Pike in the same sentence as Ash. Ash is a loser , with a losers mentality, did not embrace anything about Rutgers, eliminated the Chop, which should be a criminal offense. They are Night and day or should I say a true Knight as compared to a fake coach in over his head. You never think Pike is in over his head.

Is Kiss a legit B1G player?
Per Pike: Kiss is the most athletic kid on the team. Has a 41" vertical leap; has attitude; swagger; and will be on the floor at the end of games as he can hit FT's....Also Pike raves about Kiss' 18 points vs Seton Hall and 26 Points vs Gonzaga when he played against them 2 years ago at Quinnipiac. Kid can play.

Per Pike: Kiss is the most athletic kid on the team. Has a 41" vertical leap; has attitude; swagger; and will be on the floor at the end of games as he can hit FT's....Also Pike raves about Kiss' 18 points vs Seton Hall and 26 Points vs Gonzaga when he played against them 2 years ago at Quinnipiac. Kid can play.
Kiss will be a major key this season. How well he performs will be a big factor in how the team does

I'm more concerned that 4 weeks after Kiss injured his shoulder at Midnight Madness Pikiell is still talking about it. Coach said he'll play Friday but I've heard a million times that a guy's 100% and then he's in street clothes or his contribution is limited.

Reactions: BillyC80
Just saw the facebook pics of the event. Full room, lots of red.

Need to work on recruiting some younger blood in there. I guess thats a reflection of the last few decades of despair.
That's funny. I haven't been a member of the Court Club for a few years now since I moved, but my first Court Club meeting was
the pre-season meeting before the 1975-76 season. If I remember correctly it was at a bar on Rt. 27 near George St. owned by
the Court Club president. I had 'younger blood' then.

I agree.Sit Kiss if need be. Dunks are overrated. I know coaches probably have mixed feelings about midnight madness because of this reason, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT