ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley - Rhode Island

That's all that wasting time on this bum has bought. Headlines that can do nothing more than cast RU in a negative light. As if they needed that. It's not like he's even a big name to be cover story worthy.

Per Rothstein:

But the approach first-year Rutgers athletic director Patrick Hobbs took, a source said, impressed Hurley to the point where he at least listened and weighed the pros and cons.

“Hobbs really impressed Dan,” a source said. “Hobbs did everything he could do.”

Can't blame Rutgers at all. This is all on Hurley.

Amazing to me how many people are happy with this. A coach who turns what most experts consider to be a top 25 team in Rhode Island (not exactly a powerhouse) and we are happy he turned us down. Makes no sense to me.
Because he's a POS

giphy.gif

I am a big fan of Bob Hurley Sr from my youth but now Danny blowing us off twice makes me sick of that name. Lets get a coach that wants to be here and surround him with top assistants and new facilities...... No more Hurley talk

Amazing to me how many people are happy with this. A coach who turns what most experts consider to be a top 25 team in Rhode Island (not exactly a powerhouse) and we are happy he turned us down. Makes no sense to me.

Not sure what you don't get.

He's been a head coach now for 6 years, and all he has to show for that....is ONE NIT victory.
Does that sound like someone who can rescue RU hoops.

ZERO NCAA appearances, compared to:

Lonergan - 2 NCAA, 2 NIT, one NCAA D3 Nat'l Championship
Masiello - 2 NCAA in 4 years as a head coach
Cluess - 2 NCAA, 2 NIT, and 89-25 conference record (.781 winning%) in his 5 years at Iona

he "upped his value and made himself into a URI hero" is more like it

If it was Hurley who showed interest in the job before Rutgers reached out, that would make sense. Is that what happened? Otherwise, Hurley accepted a call from Hobbs, interviewed for the job and came away thinking it wasn't a right fit. What's wrong about that? Ultimately, Rutgers is better off without Hurley. You guys will get an established, non-volatile coach.

Per Gary Parrish:

"Where the school turns next is unclear — although a source told CBS Sports George Washington's Mike Lonergan and Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell are on a short list of potential candidates."

Because I talk to enough people that would know and took a call at the same second the news hit....not trying to be arrogant or smug, but my contacts and info are rock solid....
Question for you then. Unlike some others here I'm not discouraged by the pool of coaches from the low mid majors. I think many quality coaches come from there. Having said that though. IF, and these are big ifs, your reports about the facilities are true and the reports of 2M for Hurley are true do we have any chance at a higher quality pool of candidates (high mid major types) or is it the usual names we hear like Cluess, Pikiell, Dooley etc..(which are perfectly fine with me as I've said). The future of the job doesn't look so bleak if those kind of things are true IMO.

Hurley was never coming here. This was all a way to raise his profile and get media attention. This is typical NJ. All the NJ coaches and handlers talk big about state pride and complain about Rutgers but they do nothing about it themselves. They will just say Rutgers screwed this up even though Hurley was probably asking for the moon knowing Rutgers wouldn't give it and he could go back to URI with his mythical NJ royalty tag in place and some extra media attention.

I look forward to him falling on his face going forward.

Jersey guy turns down Jersey school ripped by Jersey fans. Sums it up well. This happens 8n a football culture.

Good for both sides. There are PLENTY of good coaches who would jump at this chance to coach in the Big 10.

Lonergan will take the job if offered. He is losing 4 seniors that make up the core of his team and staring at a big step back next year. He is a better coach than Hurley, he just needs to hire an assistant who can recruit. If he does that Rutgers will be better off with him as opposed to Hurley.

Reactions: ruman
@RUforJERSEY , I can't find any story on ESPN.com about Hurley withdrawing his name. All I can find, a dozen items down the sidebar, is a photo with a short caption and no story link.

i

HURLEY WITHDRAWS FROM RUTGERS JOB
Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley has withdrawn from consideration for the Rutgers job, according to ESPN's Jeff Goodman and multiple reports. Hurley was the frontrunner for the Rutgers job but has decided to return to URI.

Because I talk to enough people that would know and took a call at the same second the news hit....not trying to be arrogant or smug, but my contacts and info are rock solid....

With that said, based on what you have heard, where does Hobbs go from here? Lonergan?

In my humble opinion, out of all the candidates, I thought Lonergan was the best fit for us. Although I think Dooley at Florida Gulf Coast is an intriguing candidate.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT