ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley - Rhode Island

If Hobbs got those concessions the he will be playing in a bigger talent pool for coaches. Expect to hear new names.

Reactions: Underdogs88
I'm not saying he is right or wrong but it seems strange to remove yourself from consideration if you are offered the job. You just turn it down if you dont want it. Removing yourself from consideration means you were not yet offered the job but you are no longer interested.
or another offer came in/or is on its way

According to CBS radio Hurley has removed himself from consideration for the RU job. So, where do we go from here?

this can be a lot of things. Maybe we didn't want to offer him all his asks. Maybe we didn't want to pay his buyout from URI. Also, if Danny can become successful in the A10 for a 3-5 year period then he will be looking at a bigger pay day with a more prestigious program. For all we know, he may want to coach SHU when that job opens up again in the future.

Gotta believe Johnny Dawkins is now in play, given his experience and ties to Coach K..The mention of bringing Billet back as an assistant is a tip off..

According to CBS radio Hurley has removed himself from consideration for the RU job. So, where do we go from here?

Honestly, if his father wasn't the legendary Bob Hurley of St. Anthony's would anybody have gotten excited about the possibility of him coming here ?
He wasn't gonna bring his dad with him.
BTW, please remember that Greg Schiano wasn't RU's first choice back when we were looking for a replacement for Shea.

@RUforJERSEY , I can't find any story on ESPN.com about Hurley withdrawing his name. All I can find, a dozen items down the sidebar, is a photo with a short caption and no story link.

i

HURLEY WITHDRAWS FROM RUTGERS JOB
Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley has withdrawn from consideration for the Rutgers job, according to ESPN's Jeff Goodman and multiple reports. Hurley was the frontrunner for the Rutgers job but has decided to return to URI.
It was just a blurb. I thought it was a clickable link to an article like most of their front page content. I guess it's the equivalent to what would be crawling across the bottom of the screen if you were watching the channel on TV.

this can be a lot of things. Maybe we didn't want to offer him all his asks. Maybe we didn't want to pay his buyout from URI. Also, if Danny can become successful in the A10 for a 3-5 year period then he will be looking at a bigger pay day with a more prestigious program. For all we know, he may want to coach SHU when that job opens up again in the future.
Outside of this area Danny Hurley isn't a big enough "name" to garner interest from a bigger program than RU.

Not sure what you don't get. Still managed to finish above 500 despite losing their best player in the first half of the first game. He has the name recognition in our home state, he knows what needs to be done to recruit in this state.

Most of all however, He built not one but two programs up. We are a program that needs building.

I'd sign right now for Lonergan but by all accounts he isn't serious. Cluess took over a program built by Ruland and Willard and thrives off of kids who couldn't make it elsewhere. Masiello will be judged by his resume flap and (rightly or wrongly) I don't think that is something we will sign for.

Except that Hurley did not build Rhode Island's program. They were already built, minus the last year of the previous coaching regime. If anything, he has taken them backwards.

Other than his last year, Ddoes this look like a program that needed to be rebuilt?

2011-12 7-24
2010 -11 20-14
2009-10 26-10
2008-09 23-11
2007-08 21-12
2006-07 19-14

Maybe this is like an employer giving an employee the option of resigning rather than being fired? Graceful exit vs. losing out to somebody else who is going to get the job.

Reactions: miketd1
Maybe this is like an employer giving an employee the option of resigning rather than being fired? Graceful exit vs. losing out to somebody else who is going to get the job.
RUich, I agree I think someone else has already accepted the job.

URI has a Top 25 team coming back next year. A-10 favorites. It was definitely him who turned the job down, not the other way around. He has a good year next year, he can have a much better job.

Reactions: NJGuy
He was never coming here mostly because a lowball offer from Hobbs and what his roster looks like next year. Like the football search, Hobbs hasn't told anyone s***, and writers are getting info from familiar parties dishing in out familiar stories..

Edit: see!

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Except that Hurley did not build Rhode Island's program. They were already built, minus the last year of the previous coaching regime. If anything, he has taken them backwards.

Other than his last year, Ddoes this look like a program that needed to be rebuilt?

2011-12 7-24
2010 -11 20-14
2009-10 26-10
2008-09 23-11
2007-08 21-12
2006-07 19-14

they finished 7-24 and no NCAA appearances in 11 years..sounds like going 10 years without a bid and then the 11th you are abysmal, the program is in the shitter...its not a defense of Hurley but URI has been irrelevant since the late 90s and I dont know why some are propping up the program

Seton Hall just won the Big East tourny. Do you honestly think Hurley is waiting for that job to open up? If so, you are a complete and utter idiot.

RUich, I agree I think someone else has already accepted the job.

I guess it is possible that they have reached a gentleman's agreement with someone whose team is still playing so they wish to keep it quiet but other than that if someone has agreed to take the job they should announce it. But Hurley seemed to have been their first choice (based on media reports) so my guess is he either didn't like the tenor of the negotiations or just decided to finish the job at RIU. So, who is the next guy up? Sendek? King Rice? Jay Williams?

they finished 7-24 and no NCAA appearances in 11 years..sounds like going 10 years without a bid and then the 11th you are abysmal, the program is in the shitter...its not a defense of Hurley but URI has been irrelevant since the late 90s and I dont know why some are propping up the program

You're picking and choosing. Baron's first few years, he TRULY did build the program back, and it took him a while. Once he got it rolling, he really got it rolling. The last year he laid an egg, but he did not deserve to be fired after the previous 5 years of winning...and winning a lot.

In 5 out of his last 6 years, that program was absolutely not in the shitter.....and he got hosed a few years not getting an at-large bid.

Before that last year, he had won 109 games in the previous 5 years, to only 61 losses. That's averaging 22 wins a year.

109-61.
That's in the shitter?

In back to back years he goes 23-11 and 26-10 and doesn't get an at-large bid? He got hosed.

Sorry, not buying it that he was abysmal. Hurley would love to have that kind of success.

I guess it is possible that they have reached a gentleman's agreement with someone whose team is still playing so they wish to keep it quiet but other than that if someone has agreed to take the job they should announce it. But Hurley seemed to have been their first choice (based on media reports) so my guess is he either didn't like the tenor of the negotiations or just decided to finish the job at RIU. So, who is the next guy up? Sendek? King Rice? Jay Williams?

"But Hurley seemed to have been their first choice (based on media reports) - Based on media reports"

And where do you think the local bb media are getting this idea? Straight from the royal Hurley family and their NJ cronies, that's where - who are likely very tight with them as they are basically worshiped in NJ by the press. It didn't happen with Ash and the football search because there was no strong local connection like that with Hobbs' main targets. Hobbs didn't talk then and he isn't talking now.

Reactions: RU_kidding_me
"But Hurley seemed to have been their first choice (based on media reports) - Based on media reports"

And where do you think the local bb media are getting this idea? Straight from the royal Hurley family and their NJ cronies, that's where - who are likely very tight with them as they are basically worshiped in NJ by the press. It didn't happen with Ash and the
football search because there was no strong local connection like that with Hobbs' main targets. Hobbs didn't talk then and he isn't talking now.

You may very well be right. But it does seem they reached out to him very fast.

it does not matter what it was before, it matters what Hurley was left with.....he was left with 8 players and 7-24 team...who was on the team 5 years earlier doesnt matter. He didnt have much to work with

yes 7-24 is abysmal and gets your fired especially if you havent made the tourney in 11 years...seems like the program imploded which happens sometimes

to the basketball forum where there are a ton of threads and posts on this subject? lot's of stuff there if you want to engage in it more..hot and heavy

to the basketball forum where there are a ton of threads and posts on this subject? lot's of stuff there if you want to engage in it more..hot and heavy

With all the OT posts on this board you have a problem with this one? If you don't like it don't respond.

Hurley probably wants the Boston College job. As I stated multiple times, he was very open when he stated how much he and his Family love the area they are living in.....Chestnut Hill is across the border from Rhode Island.

ONLY UP UP, UP. thank you.... Not hurley is the best news for Rutgers.
Stay away from the other albatross non coach Jay Williams and we will be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT