ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley - Rhode Island

DH was NEVER coming here, as I said in other posts. RU is stupid enough to think they Hurleys give a rats tail about Rutgers. Simple as that. Pops always has opinions on how Rutgers can succeed, but more lip service and they all know it's not worth the risk of coming to RU to sully the family's genius for coaching.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Something tells me you’ll be the one who bumps it. Unless you prefer to start a new Hurley thread every time they win a game.
If I didn’t bump this one there is little reason to believe I’ll bump it next time.

Going to say the same.
@bac2therac crushed it 2 posts in. Great prediction!
Going to say the same.
at that point yes but earlier I was pushing for Herb Sendek who was on his way out at ASU...built a great resume at Nc State earlier but his ASU tenure was just so so with some ncaa appearance but overall slide. Now Herb at Santa Clara for a while but still not making the tourney but compared to calls for Cluess, Masiello and Lonergan, Sendek would have been a lot better.

I thought Danny was home run for us even if he didnt have a tourney appearance at URI so definitely wanted him over Pike but Pike was the best option after that. I think Dooley with east coast ties and initiall success Florida Gulf Coast was another intriguing choice

Reactions: NickRU714
Kudos to bac on the early Pike preference. It wasn't clear cut at all at the time.
Going to say the same.
The late Russ Wood was the first poster on this board to advocate for Steve Pikiell. If bac mentioned him as a candidate im this thread it was because he heard it from Russ Woos.

DH was NEVER coming here, as I said in other posts. RU is stupid enough to think they Hurleys give a rats tail about Rutgers. Simple as that. Pops always has opinions on how Rutgers can succeed, but more lip service and they all know it's not worth the risk of coming to RU to sully the family's genius for coaching.

This.

Or if he ever did come to Rutgers he would have bolted for greener pastures after a couple years of success.

I’ll start by saying Hurley is a fantastic coach.

That said, there is no guarantee he would’ve turned it around here.

Taking a UCONN program that was 3 years removed from winning a national championship (their 4th in 2 decades!) is a far cry from inheriting the worst P5 program with no fan base, practice facility, or freaking air conditioning in the gym.

Hypotheticals may be fun to imagine but the guy we got actually freaking did it!

I’m sure nobody wants to hear this but Pat did try to hire DH and thought they had a deal. I personally know someone who thought they were going to be on his staff at RU.

I’m sure nobody wants to hear this but Pat did try to hire DH and thought they had a deal. I personally know someone who thought they were going to be on his staff at RU.

I’ll start by saying Hurley is a fantastic coach.

That said, there is no guarantee he would’ve turned it around here.

Taking a UCONN program that was 3 years removed from winning a national championship (their 4th in 2 decades!) is a far cry from inheriting the worst P5 program with no fan base, practice facility, or freaking air conditioning in the gym.

Hypotheticals may be fun to imagine but the guy we got actually freaking did it!
His first year at Wagner 13-17, next (and last) year 25-6. First year at URI 8-21, last year 26-8. First year at UConn 16-17, this year 35-3. The dude is the best in the business so he definitely would have turned us around and we would be much better if he was hired. Some may say he would have left but he has stayed in the northeast and we are in a power conference and Hobbs seems to pay, even overpay, so I odds are he would have stayed. Too bad.

His first year at Wagner 13-17, next (and last) year 25-6. First year at URI 8-21, last year 26-8. First year at UConn 16-17, this year 35-3. The dude is the best in the business so he definitely would have turned us around and we would be much better if he was hired. Some may say he would have left but he has stayed in the northeast and we are in a power conference and Hobbs seems to pay, even overpay, so I odds are he would have stayed. Too bad.
Best in the business??-- best Is a big word. What's the criteria? Is loyalty, embarrassing antics, or other factors included ?? Does having NIL money count or who you want as a rep of rhe university?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Was Danny an assistant to Bannon at the time of the naked FT caper at practice? Danny started as an assistant at RU in 97.

Are we forgetting that Bob Hurley Sr directly prevented his players from considering Rutgers as a viable option to come to out of St Anthony's for decades? Not one St Anthony recruit came here until it's closure. The Hurleys have NEVER been pro Rutgers. Yes, Danny took a job here but you aren't being picky when your career is just beginning, I think there was a third party Bob Sr/Bannon relationship that made that happen. We could've offered triple what he's worth and I don't think he would've come here, he would create an excuse.

Seems like Dan may have seen a really good run at URI coming and figured his stock would be even higher if he waited. It was. While the RU job was a revolving door at the time. It no longer is.

Are we forgetting that Bob Hurley Sr directly prevented his players from considering Rutgers as a viable option to come to out of St Anthony's for decades? Not one St Anthony recruit came here until it's closure. The Hurleys have NEVER been pro Rutgers. Yes, Danny took a job here but you aren't being picky when your career is just beginning, I think there was a third party Bob Sr/Bannon relationship that made that happen. We could've offered triple what he's worth and I don't think he would've come here, he would create an excuse.
Did Myles Mack play at St. Anthony after it's closure?

What about Mike Rosario?

He would have left St Johns by now
To go where ? Don't think he is cut out for the NBA . The blue blood jobs are not worth the pressure ask Cal and all the Indiana coaches that have been fired. If he was having the success he's having now at St John's they would pay him as well as anyone ( vitamin water).

To go where ? Don't think he is cut out for the NBA . The blue blood jobs are not worth the pressure ask Cal and all the Indiana coaches that have been fired. If he was having the success he's having now at St John's they would pay him as well as anyone ( vitamin water).

Its not the 80s..he would have left a year or 2 after his success to acc or elsewhere

Its not the 80s..he would have left a year or 2 after his success to acc or elsewhere
Yeah guess we are not going to agree on that Hurley is not a guy that wants to move around. Believe it or not he did not even want to leave URI. But he realized he was not going to be able to get done what he wanted to accomplish. Btw Hurley absolutely loves the Big East and credits it with a lot of what he has accomplished. Seriously doubt he would ever have gone to acc.

This.

Or if he ever did come to Rutgers he would have bolted for greener pastures after a couple years of success.

So?
I never understand this argument against hiring a coach.

Worst case scenario: Hurley has us in the NCAA by year 3 and bolts?
Ok. So now we are hiring a coach as a winning/tournament team and not the wasteland it was after Eddie Jordan.
A job with evidence that's it not throwing away your career as many thought it was.

That's a terrible thing?

Reactions: RUsojo
Yeah guess we are not going to agree on that Hurley is not a guy that wants to move around. Believe it or not he did not even want to leave URI. But he realized he was not going to be able to get done what he wanted to accomplish. Btw Hurley absolutely loves the Big East and credits it with a lot of what he has accomplished. Seriously doubt he would ever have gone to acc.

Yeah Rhode Island is such a plum job

Yeah Rhode Island is such a plum job
Just telling you what I was told by someone very close to him. I am a PC fan so you won't catch me saying anything positive about URI. He is not a guy that will be taking a bunch of jobs. Think he will eventually try the nba but will have to wait till he mellows out a little.

He would have left St Johns by now
do you think he would have stayed at RU if hired.
I feel he'd have made RU a good program and received an offer or two he couldn't refuse, Rutgers couldn't or wouldn't match, and have gone to a top program leaving Rutgers better but in danger of going down because RU never will pay the going rate to bring in the best, just bring in the best of those available at RU's price range.

Pike was a good choice, but was he the best available at the time or the best available for what Rutgers was offering

do you think he would have stayed at RU if hired.
I feel he'd have made RU a good program and received an offer or two he couldn't refuse, Rutgers couldn't or wouldn't match, and have gone to a top program leaving Rutgers better but in danger of going down because RU never will pay the going rate to bring in the best, just bring in the best of those available at RU's price range.

Pike was a good choice, but was he the best available at the time or the best available for what Rutgers was offering
he would have left RU as well

Reactions: MADHAT1
Does he deserve a doggie biscuit for two whole players slipping through the cracks to Rutgers out the 150 or so D1 players he's coached in the 50 years at St Anthony's?
I don't care what he deserves, the comment was not a single St. Anthony player came before the school closed. That's what's wring w the world now, people say anything and even if it's wrong some fool is just like "yeah, but".

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Koko
At this stage isn’t UCONN a blue blood?

I followed the Big East from its inception and remember when Connecticut was the bottom of the league.

The basketball program has achieved about as much as a school can from where they were.

Amazing 3 coaches have won championships

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT