ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley - Rhode Island

That's all that wasting time on this bum has bought. Headlines that can do nothing more than cast RU in a negative light. As if they needed that. It's not like he's even a big name to be cover story worthy.

Hurley hype machine in action. Nothing new here. But it again proves that the Hurley's are no friends of RU.

Reactions: chopper77us
ls.jpg

Raritan83 said:
Amazing to me how many people are happy with this. A coach who turns what most experts consider to be a top 25 team in Rhode Island (not exactly a powerhouse) and we are happy he turned us down. Makes no sense to me.
You are judging him by what might happen next year. He has never made the ncca tournament yet commands 2M/year, ridiculous.
He took over a program at RI that had a down year after 5 pretty good ones and worked it back to where it was before after 2 years there.
He wasn't worth what he was asking and not a surefire success that would deserve the demands he was making , salary and time-wise.

If he was so good, he'd have been able to have a better 2015-16 season, despite the injury problems his Rams had.

The NJ connections are overblown. His, Hurley's, connections would evaporate after the third year with a 3 year total of 35-63. Danny who? There is a ton of great talent all over the country. NJ eats it own (athletics and academics).

Per Gary Parrish:

"Where the school turns next is unclear — although a source told CBS Sports George Washington's Mike Lonergan and Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell are on a short list of potential candidates."

should have went there first...now the guy feels like 2nd fiddle...and we played our budget hand up front.

Not sure what you don't get.

He's been a head coach now for 6 years, and all he has to show for that....is ONE NIT victory.
Does that sound like someone who can rescue RU hoops.

ZERO NCAA appearances, compared to:

Lonergan - 2 NCAA, 2 NIT, one NCAA D3 Nat'l Championship
Masiello - 2 NCAA in 4 years as a head coach
Cluess - 2 NCAA, 2 NIT, and 89-25 conference record (.781 winning%) in his 5 years at Iona

Not sure what you don't get. Still managed to finish above 500 despite losing their best player in the first half of the first game. He has the name recognition in our home state, he knows what needs to be done to recruit in this state.

Most of all however, He built not one but two programs up. We are a program that needs building.

I'd sign right now for Lonergan but by all accounts he isn't serious. Cluess took over a program built by Ruland and Willard and thrives off of kids who couldn't make it elsewhere. Masiello will be judged by his resume flap and (rightly or wrongly) I don't think that is something we will sign for.

Raritan83 said:
Amazing to me how many people are happy with this. A coach who turns what most experts consider to be a top 25 team in Rhode Island (not exactly a powerhouse) and we are happy he turned us down. Makes no sense to me.

He took over a program at RI that had a down year after 5 pretty good ones and worked it back to where it was before after 2 years there.
He wasn't worth what he was asking and not a surefire success that would deserve the demands
he was making , salary and time-wise.

Hurleys some with baggage. We'd be kissing his ass forever. It's not the end of the world.

You are judging him by what might happen next year. He has never made the ncca tournament yet commands 2M/year, ridiculous.
Based on this it sounds like he would have been perfect here. Ignoring current shortfalls and banking on monumental success next year is truly the Rutgers way!

Hurleys some with baggage. We'd be kissing his ass forever. It's not the end of the world.
I don't like hiring anyone that makes it "difficult" to fire. That was the concern with Eddie and it did hurt to let him go as he is one of us. Can you image the blow back if we had to fire Hurley in year 5?

Not sure what you don't get. Still managed to finish above 500 despite losing their best player in the first half of the first game. He has the name recognition in our home state, he knows what needs to be done to recruit in this state.

Most of all however, He built not one but two programs up. We are a program that needs building.

I'd sign right now for Lonergan but by all accounts he isn't serious. Cluess took over a program built by Ruland and Willard and thrives off of kids who couldn't make it elsewhere. Masiello will be judged by his resume flap and (rightly or wrongly) I don't think that is something we will sign for.
Have you checked those programs you claim Danny built.
Wagner wasn't that great but was a 20+ game winner 3 years before Danny took over and had a winning record 2 years before Hurley was hired.

Rhode Island had 4 straight seasons winning 20 or more before the disasters one that opened up the job for Hurley.
Danny didn't build squat!

I don't buy it. Hobbs was telling people it would be done this week. If that's the case, he must have known who his top target is, but then we hear about other interviews, etc.

Not sure what else Hobbs could have done to get DH here if the $2mm/yr is true.

I just want to say this. If the reports are true that RU offered 2MM and the facility upgrades then I am very proud of my University for finally getting it right. I'd even go to 2.5MM for the home run coach. It WILL pay off in the end, financially.

You're all going to be surprised when the announcement is made Friday.
Hobbs is brilliant.

I'm not buying it.

I think you're speculating because you caught wind of the rumor that Hobbs got the commitment from Barchi and the BOG on the facilities plan, and you are assuming Hobbs now has the wherewithal to go after better candidates.

Hurley was the top choice and now I think he moves onto Lonergan. However, if he had to move onto Lonergan, I don't think he planned on offering him $2MM/year. Now that the $2MM figure has been reported, he may have to offer the same sum to Lonergan.

Is tarheel suggesting that hobbs pulled out first because he wants someone else? I do not buy that.
I'm not saying he is right or wrong but it seems strange to remove yourself from consideration if you are offered the job. You just turn it down if you dont want it. Removing yourself from consideration means you were not yet offered the job but you are no longer interested.

Here's why I would buy it ... you have two guys coming here from outside of our own Rutgers world complimenting the likely hire.

And needmorecowbell, "removing yourself from consideration" either means you don't want it or you're trying to save face over not being picked. Usually the latter, unless you're using it as a bargaining chip with your current school.

Reactions: Underdogs88
I really believed that DH would take the job as no one leaves a bride at the altar twice. I thought that he would ask for everything and then announce at a press conference how much he loves NJ. He is a good coach but there are many good choices out there, save Williams.

Danny knew he couldn't get id done in New Jersey. He [played us twice. I don't want him ever considered again for any job at RU.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong but it seems strange to remove yourself from consideration if you are offered the job. You just turn it down if you dont want it. Removing yourself from consideration means you were not yet offered the job but you are no longer interested.

Semantics

Here's why I would buy it ... you have two guys coming here from outside of our own Rutgers world complimenting the likely hire.

And needmorecowbell, "removing yourself from consideration" either means you don't want it or you're trying to save face over not being picked. Usually the latter, unless you're using it as a bargaining chip with your current school.

Good point. If Hurley really turned down Rutgers, then we should expect to see him get a raise and new contract from Rhode Island very soon.

I'm not buying it.

I think you're speculating because you caught wind of the rumor that Hobbs got the commitment from Barchi and the BOG on the facilities plan, and you are assuming Hobbs now has the wherewithal to go after better candidates.

Hurley was the top choice and now I think he moves onto Lonergan. However, if he had to move onto Lonergan, I don't think he planned on offering him $2MM/year. Now that the $2MM figure has been reported, he may have to offer the same sum to Lonergan.
And if that's so, then so be it. I'd take Lonergan over Hurley in a heartbeat. I like Lonergan and Sendek over Hurley. I think Lonergan would be a homerun hire who has proven to not only be a winner, but a person who knows how to build a program the right way. I don't think of Lonergan, it is Lonergan as a second choice or "Plan B" but rather an outstanding choice going forward. The price may be steep, but it's worth it IMO, because we have tried to do it on the cheap for so long, and that's why we've been put in this precarious position with the past hires. Lonergan, in my view would be the FIRST real hire that shows me Rutgers is serious this time about making men's BB successful.

Have you checked those programs you claim Danny built.
Wagner wasn't that great but was a 20+ game winner 3 years before Danny took over and had a winning record 2 years before Hurley was hired.

Rhode Island had 4 straight seasons winning 20 or more before the disasters one that opened up the job for Hurley.
Danny didn't build squat!

And the only reason that season was poor was because prior coach Jim Baron kicked best player off the team. Last four years of Baron substantially better than first four years of Hurley. NO MAJOR REBUILDING JOB AT ALL.

Tom Penders and Al Skinner took URI to the dance. Hurley hasn't done dick compared to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT