ADVERTISEMENT

Dean Reiber

Less than zero chance Mag redshirts, unless there are multiple grad transfers arriving, that none of us know about.
Odds are certainly not less than zero, and why not? Do you have some inside info here or is this just your opinion, because as I said, there is some impressive stuff in his highlight videos but his full game videos don't show much at all. The other incoming kids are much further ahead skill wise and we're not playing all three of them so why not redshirt Mag? Most everyone is back, the Swedish kid is already practicing with the team, and Reiber has been putting up 30 a game in NC. The kid has only been playing for a few years to my knowledge. It would seem he is the perfect red shirt candidate. I have no inside info however - just an educated guess.

Last edited:
Odds are certainly not less than zero, and why not? Do you have some inside info here or is this just your opinion, because as I said, there is some impressive stuff in his highlight videos but his full game videos don't show much at all. The other incoming kids are much further ahead skill wise and we're not playing all three of them so why not redshirt Mag? Most everyone is back, the Swedish kid is already practicing with the team, and Reiber has been putting up 30 a game in NC. The kid has only been playing for a few years to my knowledge. It would seem he is the perfect red shirt candidate. I have no inside info however - just an educated guess.
It's all educated guesses and I respect that. However, I don't agree at all with your post. Mag is playing at the highest level and besides the two 5 star guards on his team is as valuable as anyone on the team. There is plenty to like. I think Mag will be a fan favorite on the banks and can develop into a similar player as Kwasi. Pike will like his D, hustle and willingness to crash the boards and will find spot minutes for him as a Freshman. I'm not as confident with the other two recruits.

Less than zero chance Mag redshirts, unless there are multiple grad transfers arriving, that none of us know about.

Well, looking at guys who would be seeing minutes at the 3-5 spots next year:

Harper and McConnell are returning, and aren't redshirting
Johnson and Doucoure are returning and already used redshirts.
Palmquist already is using a redshirt this season, so he wouldn't be redshirting next year
Omoruyi (if he commits) would not be redshirting

That would leave Reiber and Mag. Even assuming Doucoure would be the 12th man and not see minutes, hard to think we'd be going 11 deep in the rotation.

Edit: To (again) fix that I mixed up Reiber/Palmquist

Last edited:
Well, looking at guys who would be seeing minutes at the 3-5 spots next year:

Harper and McConnell are returning, and aren't redshirting
Johnson and Doucoure are returning and already used redshirts.
Reiber already is using a redshirt this season, so he wouldn't be redshirting next year
Omoruyi (if he commits) would not be redshirting

That would leave Palmquist and Mag. Even assuming Doucoure would be the 12th man and not see minutes, hard to think we'd be going 11 deep in the rotation.

You have Reiber and Palmquist confused. Palmquist is using a redshirt now, Reiber is still in HS.

What’s the quality of the league Reiber plays in?
Don't know for sure, but it is local level. Doesn't look to be horrible from the film I've seen. Mag plays for Prolific Prep which is top 10 nationally and plays a schedule with Division 1 players the norm. Take the relative stats for what they are worth. Palmquist was on a prep team this year, but for whatever reason, didn't end up playing. Maybe perhaps he knew he would be an early enrollee.

Looks like Reiber and Northwest Guilford HS is in the 4A Public, about 2000 students, in North Carolina, maybe like our Group 4 Public in NJ? They are the 3 seed in Group 4A state tourny. They aren't listed in their top 16 rankings in NC basketball. They are 23-4 on the year. You never know, you can find underrated D1 talent from public schools that doesn't get the prep school coaching and can become better in college. He could be a redshirt candidate, just depends on Cliff coming or not, or if Doucoure can take a big leap in the off season. It depends on if he is a good consistent shooter, it will be tough to redshirt him.

Found this from 2017
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/dean-reiber-cf-stokesdale-nc-2020

Before the season Sept 2019
https://phenomhoopreport.com/from-the-scouts-eyes-dean-reiber-commits-to-rutgers/

From summer 2017 to now, grown 2 more inches and 30 lbs. Sounds like those PFs teams like Radford, Wofford, East Tenn St, Northern Iowa, and mid majors get and helps win tournament games with.

Last edited:
Reiber does very well in some games, and seems very passive in others.

His motor does not always seem high. He does play a lot at the three point line. If he is a skilled stretch forward who can actually shoot from three, I won´t be as concerned about his motor.

Looks like Reiber and Northwest Guilford HS is in the 4A Public, about 2000 students, in North Carolina, maybe like our Group 4 Public in NJ? They are the 3 seed in Group 4A state tourny. They aren't listed in their top 16 rankings in NC basketball. They are 23-4 on the year. You never know, you can find underrated D1 talent from public schools that doesn't get the prep school coaching and can become better in college. He could be a redshirt candidate, just depends on Cliff coming or not, or if Doucoure can take a big leap in the off season. It depends on if he is a good consistent shooter, it will be tough to redshirt him.

Found this from 2017

https://phenomhoopreport.com/from-the-scouts-eyes-dean-reiber-commits-to-rutgers/

From summer 2017 to now, grown 2 more inches and 30 lbs. Sounds like those PFs teams like Radford, Wofford, East Tenn St, Northern Iowa, and mid majors get and helps win tournament games with.

I think you're right about that last part. The key question is if you can win at the Big Ten level with a roster full of those guys.

Geo Baker would probably be an All-CAA guard if he had gone to Northeastern, for example.

Thank you for posting something of actual substance. Kid sounds like a steal.
So "substance" to you is a blurb from Jeff Bendel. How long have you been looking to Jeff Bendel for your substance on whether a recruit is a good one? He was able to find this hidden gem in the state of North Carolina, where no one cares about or scouts basketball. Did you also consider as a possible source every one of the major conference basketball teams? Because if you did, you saw that only one such program, other than RU, saw enough in this recruit to extend him an offer. But that's not substance to you. Jeff Bendel is.

Reactions: bac2therac
If Reiber can shoot the 3 and stretch the D then he will find some minutes. Myles can't at all. Doucoure (if he stays) will attempt a mid range shot but that isnt his game either. He could be our small ball 5 we dont have on the roster this year for short stretches

Reactions: BillyC80
If he can truly do that next year, he will see the floor and often regardless of Myles, Doucoure or anyone else for that matter.

I like the way Palmquist shoots the outside jump shot from recent videos at RU. I’m optimistic that he may be a shooter with length for us.

Reactions: Scangg
If he can truly do that next year, he will see the floor and often regardless of Myles, Doucoure or anyone else for that matter.

I like the way Palmquist shoots the outside jump shot from recent videos at RU. I’m optimistic that he may be a shooter with length for us.
Between Reiber and Palmquist Pike was trying to fill the hole on the roster of a stretch big. Hopefully he hits on both. This team needs shooters.

Just saw this, no inside information just watching what the team is good at and it's being able to defend multiple positions, being able to mix it up in the paint and the ability to play without having the basketball.

Without going into details on the current roster, there isn't a player beyond Ron Harper Jr., that can impact the game on both ends, guard 3 positions and has the physical ability to play the 2, 3 and 4 and has a potential to be a good FT shooter and respectable (not great) 3 PT shooter.

He has Mathis defensive ability and willingness to defend guards, Ron Harper ability to bring the ball up the floor, Mulcahy passing ability and Eugene grit and toughness to guard people inside the paint.... If he can maneuver around the basket (which he's good at) and score, he's absolutely going to find minutes next year.

Just saw this, no inside information just watching what the team is good at and it's being able to defend multiple positions, being able to mix it up in the paint and the ability to play without having the basketball.

Without going into details on the current roster, there isn't a player beyond Ron Harper Jr., that can impact the game on both ends, guard 3 positions and has the physical ability to play the 2, 3 and 4 and has a potential to be a good FT shooter and respectable (not great) 3 PT shooter.

He has Mathis defensive ability and willingness to defend guards, Ron Harper ability to bring the ball up the floor, Mulcahy passing ability and Eugene grit and toughness to guard people inside the paint.... If he can maneuver around the basket (which he's good at) and score, he's absolutely going to find minutes next year.
I think there are two full games of his on Youtube. I ask that you watch one of them. I don't think you will be so sure he doesn't redshirt.

Found this from 2017

What makes you think prep school coaches are better than public school coaches? Went against both - a lot of overrated prep school coaches and a lot of underrated public school coaches. Prep schools usually have control of their talent level. Public schools have to coach what they have.

I think there are two full games of his on Youtube. I ask that you watch one of them. I don't think you will be so sure he doesn't redshirt.

I've seen them and am going on his tape prior to his injury as well. I would be leery about HS tapes as the primary indicator of playing within a college system.

If you are asking me if Mag is a starter as a freshman, I would say obviously not. If we have a better option in front of him and everyone improves and RU is winning 19-22 games, I am fine either way.

The team has a Top 25 nationally ranked defense because of how we play. I can't see how Mag hurts our defense next year.

I've seen them and am going on his tape prior to his injury as well. I would be leery about HS tapes as the primary indicator of playing within a college system.

If you are asking me if Mag is a starter as a freshman, I would say obviously not. If we have a better option in front of him and everyone improves and RU is winning 19-22 games, I am fine either way.

The team has a Top 25 nationally ranked defense because of how we play. I can't see how Mag hurts our defense next year.
I'll buy that, but I think the other two freshmen can at least replace some of Yeboah's offense. I don't think this kid can.

So "substance" to you is a blurb from Jeff Bendel. How long have you been looking to Jeff Bendel for your substance on whether a recruit is a good one? He was able to find this hidden gem in the state of North Carolina, where no one cares about or scouts basketball. Did you also consider as a possible source every one of the major conference basketball teams? Because if you did, you saw that only one such program, other than RU, saw enough in this recruit to extend him an offer. But that's not substance to you. Jeff Bendel is.
I hear what you're saying but college is full of guys who are very good but no one really saw it in HS. If "who else offered" is your only criticism, you might need to do more homework. I haven't. But I'm not criticising him.

I’m not looking for a failsafe indicator. There is none. Just the best one. And the aggregation of the decisions of the very professional coaches who do this for a living, are handsomely compensated for it, and whose jobs (and the handsome compensation) are on the line based on their decisions is the best metric we have. It’s certainly way better than blurbs or analyses of internet recruiting experts who write articles. Or of the way less qualified message board fans who read some of those blurbs, watch some video and announce their biased, amateur conclusions from their couch. That kind of stuff is fun, but you’re nuts if you try to argue that it has anything close to the level of credibility of the decisions of the professionals.

I often wonder if fans have really thought this through when they denigrate “who offered” in favor of the “research” and pronouncements of Bob The Board Expert.

Reactions: bac2therac
Reiber shows flashes of ability in every vid I have watched of him.
I really like what I see.
He is a 6’9” kid with a nice looking jump shot,
Very good athletic ability, and good ball skills for a kid his size.
He goes hard to dunk even when bodied.
He has moments in each vid where can look timid and awkward
He is not a complete, ready to start, big ten forward
If he was, every team in the country would be on him.
Big kids can develop late and I think we may have gotten a steal with him.
He can be an impact guy down the line.
Similar to how Geo looked as a high school player, I think Pyke found a good one here.

I’m not looking for a failsafe indicator. There is none. Just the best one. And the aggregation of the decisions of the very professional coaches who do this for a living, are handsomely compensated for it, and whose jobs (and the handsome compensation) are on the line based on their decisions is the best metric we have. It’s certainly way better than blurbs or analyses of internet recruiting experts who write articles. Or of the way less qualified message board fans who read some of those blurbs, watch some video and announce their biased, amateur conclusions from their couch. That kind of stuff is fun, but you’re nuts if you try to argue that it has anything close to the level of credibility of the decisions of the professionals.

I often wonder if fans have really thought this through when they denigrate “who offered” in favor of the “research” and pronouncements of Bob The Board Expert.

Agree that there is no failsafe indicator, and other professional evaluation is an important thing to consider. However, one of the challenges to "who offered", is that fans never get a complete picture of that.

When a player commits early, you don't really ever hear about new offers coming in - whether they do or not. A player like Ron Harper, for instance, committed to us early and had a lower rating - then heated up as a senior. It's unlikely that he didn't draw more attention from professional coaches during that senior season, but we didn't hear about any of that interest because he was already committed. So saying "his only other power conference offer was Nebraska" isn't that meaningful, because there was no news after his commitment about new offers or interest. There's also less flipping in basketball than football, so you don't hear as much about coaches continuing to pursue committed players up to signing day.

I was looking for his HS stats and found that he shot 9-42 (21%) from 3 his Junior year. Can't find anything on him from this year. I have no idea how good of a player he'll be but I'm not expecting him to fix our 3 pt shooting woes.

Reactions: soundcrib
Your argument falls under the general and invalid argument that every approach has its drawbacks so all are equally valid. It’s horse hockey. We could devote pages to the problems with amateur internet player evaluations that would dwarf what you mention here, and even what you mention here aren't always the drawbacks you suggest. For me, more problematic is the overall accuracy of the reporting of offers. But, even with that, the evaluation of “offers made” is light years better than message board poster amateur analysis and the growing number of dudes who work on recruiting web sites and give their opinions but have never had and would likely never get a serious job recruiting players for big money with their jobs on the line. When they rate players, it’s only helpful to the extent that they compile offers and base their ratings on that.

In other words, agreeing that there is no fail safe method doesn’t make the best not the best or authorize clumsily opening the door to lump the best in with the really bad as just another important consideration.

On a more specific point, I’m not sure any of your argument applies to RU’s recruiting class.

Last edited:
Legit Public high school stats are almost impossible to find for all their games. Prep/Private schools have more funding to track things like that on a statistical level like shooting, Pts., Rebounds, Assists, etc. It's why you see the best players go prep/private if offered because it's easier to be noticed at that level.

Your argument falls under the general and invalid argument that every approach has its drawbacks so all are equally valid. It’s horse hockey. We could devote pages to the problems with amateur internet player evaluations that would dwarf what you mention here, and even what you mention here aren't always the drawbacks you suggest. For me, more problematic is the overall accuracy of the reporting of offers. But, even with that, the evaluation of “offers made” is light years better than message board poster amateur analysis and the growing number of dudes who work on recruiting web sites and give their opinions but have never had and would likely never get a serious job recruiting players for big money with their jobs on the line. When they rate players, it’s only helpful to the extent that they compile offers and base their ratings on that.

In other words, agreeing that there is no fail safe method doesn’t make the best not the best or authorize clumsily opening the door to lump the best in with the really bad as just another important consideration.

On a more specific point, I’m not sure any of your argument applies to RU’s recruiting class.

Never said anything about all approaches being "equally valid", or even weighting any approaches vs. offers received. You're just setting up strawmen to knock down.

I offered up one of the challenges around looking at offers - that it's only a partial picture of actual interest by professional college coaches. I also drew a comparison to why offers may be more useful for football than basketball.

But you do you.

Legit Public high school stats are almost impossible to find for all their games. Prep/Private schools have more funding to track things like that on a statistical level like shooting, Pts., Rebounds, Assists, etc. It's why you see the best players go prep/private if offered because it's easier to be noticed at that level.
This is such misinformation its incredible - that kids go to prep schools because they keep better stats. Most everyone keeps the same stats. They go to prep schools for more exposure and to play against better competition. That said, if you're really good, you will be found even if you play on the moon. And unless something has changed in the last ten years, team statisticians don't usually get paid. Doing it looks great on a transcript for college.

You have Reiber and Palmquist confused. Palmquist is using a redshirt now, Reiber is still in HS.

Palmquist is an early enrollee & is NOT using a redshirt this year, he will still have 5 years to play 4 after this season. This is done in football all the time to get players strength & conditioning, without losing eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT