ADVERTISEMENT

Dean Reiber

Palmquist is an early enrollee & is NOT using a redshirt this year, he will still have 5 years to play 4 after this season. This is done in football all the time to get players strength & conditioning, without losing eligibility.

So he's grayshirting on his own dime this semester? Interesting.

Never said anything about all approaches being "equally valid", or even weighting any approaches vs. offers received. You're just setting up strawmen to knock down.

I offered up one of the challenges around looking at offers - that it's only a partial picture of actual interest by professional college coaches. I also drew a comparison to why offers may be more useful for football than basketball.

But you do you.
In a discussion about relevant merits, you relegated it to only "an important thing to consider" and went about speculating on weaknesses (not ones I necessarily buy) of something I already said wasn't failsafe, while leaving the amateur evaluations untouched. And so I responded. I mean, if you're just floating around in the netherworld with no opinion, I guess that's fine. Nice place to be.

In a discussion about relevant merits, you relegated it to only "an important thing to consider" and went about speculating on weaknesses (not ones I necessarily buy) of something I already said wasn't failsafe, while leaving the amateur evaluations untouched. And so I responded. I mean, if you're just floating around in the netherworld with no opinion, I guess that's fine. Nice place to be.

You argued that one method is best, and I offered one limitation to consider regarding that method. That's all. You could have debated whether you believed that limitation is realistic or not - but instead you decided to go the strawman route of "your argument fails because you think all methods are equally valid" (I didn't) and then trying to say it's somehow not worth considering (or not even an opinion?) if it didn't take into consideration other methods.

I stated my opinion - number/quality of offers are important, but still offer an incomplete picture for players who declare early. It took your initial points of that method both being "best" and "not failsafe" and added additional perspective that had not yet been discussed, opening for discussion around whether that perspective had merit. Your only response to that opinion has been that you don't "necessarily buy" it... the rest of what you've typed has been beside the point.

So, attempting to stay on topic - why do you "not necessarily buy it"?

Still in the netherland.

Opinion - Fans have limited visibility into the interest level of professional coaches.
Counter opinion - "I don't necessarily buy that"

Basis of opinion:
- Players don't report all offers
- Basketball players often commit before playing as seniors
- Players who commit early stop reporting offers/interest from other programs
- Basketball commitments tend to be firmer than football commitments with less visits/flipping after commitment

Basis of counter-opinion:
- None provided.

Stop deflecting. Why don't you "buy that"?

Still going on about something else. While you might now claim to find this interesting, the details of what makes the“who offered” analysis less than failsafe don’t interest me very much. It’s superiority over Ed the Evaluator’s blurbs, on the other hand, do. But you are now supposedly agnostic on that. Fine. I’ve lost interest in this dance.

Ac

I evaluated high school kids for about six years, both at their high school and at AAU events. You can tell pretty quick if a kid can play for you.
Ok, so what is it that Mag needs to work on and how would he benefit from a red-shirt? He is already physically strong and plays with a high motor. He can defend at a high level, which Pike values. His challenges are that he's a tweener and at only 6'-6" can struggle inside against shot blockers, and he doesn't quite have the guard skills to be an outside player. He is Eugene 2.0, but only more skilled coming in and used to playing against top competition.

Why is Reiber ready? He is not playing with the kind of athletes Mag is playing with. He is making a bigger jump. Reiber had 5 points tonight in his teams playoff win (but he had a big impact on the D end with 6 blocks).

All we need is a combination of 2 of the 3 signed recruits to fill Yeboah's current role and hopefully we land Cliff for Shaq Carter's role and we are a preseason top 25 team or close to it for 2020-21. Mag for defensive side and one of the Palmquist or Reiber for offensive side?

Ok, so what is it that Mag needs to work on and how would he benefit from a red-shirt? He is already physically strong and plays with a high motor. He can defend at a high level, which Pike values. His challenges are that he's a tweener and at only 6'-6" can struggle inside against shot blockers, and he doesn't quite have the guard skills to be an outside player. He is Eugene 2.0, but only more skilled coming in and used to playing against top competition.

Why is Reiber ready? He is not playing with the kind of athletes Mag is playing with. He is making a bigger jump. Reiber had 5 points tonight in his teams playoff win (but he had a big impact on the D end with 6 blocks).
Reiber - Well, I really don't know the competition, but he does play for a school with 2,000 students in NC so I would guess the competition is schools of similar size. NC is a great basketball state. If you're putting up 30 against other schools of similar size in NC you're pretty good. He's a legit 6'9" now with a huge wingspan and has a really good, soft release on his shot. Also like the way he uses his left hand for a big man. My main question about him is how well he moves. Can't tell about his feel for the game as there isn't full game video on him. I can only fill in with what I read which is he has really come on. I like what little I've seen.

Mag - Looks to have all the physical tools Pike likes to become a real good defender. That said, I have watched a lot of film on him and he doesn't look like he has a great feel for the game which I do understand since he hasn't been playing very long. He also doesn't appear to be comfortable to me on offense - again probably because he hasn't played the game that long, and while it looks like he could be a pretty good rebounder he doesn't go real aggressively after the ball. Now, none if this is to say he won't be a really good player, but it is why I think he is a candidate to redshirt. Looked back at your post where you said he can already defend at a high level. As far as defensive fundamentals are concerned, I didn't really see that, and remember who he is going to have to defend first year in the Big 10. There's not much else I can tell you other than he looks like a kid who just needs more time to contribute against Big 10 competition. I never said he wasn't any good, just that I think the other two kids are ahead of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
Reiber is being brought here on some potential of becoming a stretch four or five it seems. I have seen some big games posted about twitter about him, and then some others.

He definitely has a lot of potential and skill. I don´t think we will see much of it the first year.

How do recruits line up?I would say Mawot Mag, Oskar Palmquist, and Dean Reiber.

Has Pike let us down so far?He took coal and is slowly turning it into diamonds. Let it be ok ? If we get Cliff which could go either way you will be dancing the Macarena.

Ac

I evaluated high school kids for about six years, both at their high school and at AAU events. You can tell pretty quick if a kid can play for you.
If you looked at Caleb during the 1st half of the year, you'd think he's a very good shooter and rebounder. If you looked at Caleb during the last quarter of the season, you'd think he should be playing at a lower level. Two games don't really tell you much no matter how good you are at evaluating talent (and I'm not suggesting that you are not good at evaluating).

If you looked at Caleb during the 1st half of the year, you'd think he's a very good shooter and rebounder. If you looked at Caleb during the last quarter of the season, you'd think he should be playing at a lower level. Two games don't really tell you much no matter how good you are at evaluating talent (and I'm not suggesting that you are not good at evaluating).
That's you looking at him and you're opinion, not mine.

No, it's not obvious. The poster made it seem like it should be common knowledge by using the pronoun "you" and "you'd" instead of "I think" or "in my opinion".
Anyway, my opinion of Caleb is that he got into a funk coming off the bench. Starting for five Big 10 games he was clearly our best rebounder after MJ, and he did everything else well. Certainly not comparing the two, but who was the last PG you've seen have back to back double digit rebound games? Again, certainly not comparing the two as players, but Magic Johnson comes to mind. As a starter it looked like Caleb was just playing. As a bench player it looked like he was trying to make things happen. I don't think he's that kind of player. As of right now I think he's likely the guy to replace Yeboah next year - maybe not the three point shooter he is but does everything else just as well and some things better IMO.

McConnell's numbers as a starter vs. bench player:

First 9 games (starter): 20.0 min, 7.3 pts (.531 eFG%, .400 3P), 3.4 rb, 1.6 ast, 1.3 tov, 0.8 stl, 1.8 pf
Next 4 games (bench): 19.3 min, 5.5 pts (.553 eFG%, .250 3P), 3.0 rb, 1.8 ast, 1.3 tov, 1.3 stl, 1.3 pf
Next 12 games (starter): 28.6 min, 8.8 pts (.417 eFG%, .208 3P), 5.7 rb, 2.0 ast, 1.8 tov, 0.8 stl, 1.8 pf
Last 6 games (bench): 10.7 min, 2.5 pts (.300 eFG%, .000 3P), 0.8 rb, 0.3 ast, 1.0 tov, 0.5 stl, 1.2 pf

But his slump started while he was still a starter.
First 8 starts after return to starting lineup:
29.4 min, 10.0 pts (.477 eFG%, .313 3P), 6.3 rb, 2.9 ast, 2.1 tov, 1.0 stl, 1.8 pf
Over his last 4 starts before returning to the bench:
27.0 min, 6.3 pts (.316 eFG%, .000 3P), 4.5 rb, 0.3 ast, 1.0 tov, 0.5 stl, 2.0 pf

His shooting was off, his assists disappeared, and his fouling went up. It's possible during this time he was afraid that Baker's improving health would mean a loss of his starting spot, and he began pressing too much - but it began before he started coming off the bench to close the season, and spiraled quickly downward.

I've started re-watching the games, beginning with Pitt. Caleb started and had a poor game, as did everyone else. He played like he did at the end of the season, with no confidence or BB IQ. However, I like Caleb. He showed his potential during his relief role when Geo was out. Insofar as next year, we have a problem at the 3 spot. We do not currently have anyone to replace Yeboah in terms of size and skillset. Mathis or Caleb may start there, but I think they'd be undersized versus most B10 lineups. Coach likes to rotate players and looks for effective combinations. I think Mag will fill that role as the season rolls along with Palm getting time as well at the 3 and 4. I don't think we can afford to redshirt any of the current 3 recruits as it stands now. If Omiruyi comes or a grad transfer with size, then it could change things, but, for me, the 3 spot is a concern.

Insofar as next year, we have a problem at the 3 spot. We do not currently have anyone to replace Yeboah in terms of size and skillset. Mathis or Caleb may start there, but I think they'd be undersized versus most B10 lineups.

McConnell is 6-7/190 and Mathis is 6-4/205. If McConnell can get up in the 205-210, he'd be in much better position to take on that 3 role. I think Mathis' height limits him a bit at the 3 if he gets posted up.

I've started re-watching the games, beginning with Pitt. Caleb started and had a poor game, as did everyone else. He played like he did at the end of the season, with no confidence or BB IQ. However, I like Caleb. He showed his potential during his relief role when Geo was out. Insofar as next year, we have a problem at the 3 spot. We do not currently have anyone to replace Yeboah in terms of size and skillset. Mathis or Caleb may start there, but I think they'd be undersized versus most B10 lineups. Coach likes to rotate players and looks for effective combinations. I think Mag will fill that role as the season rolls along with Palm getting time as well at the 3 and 4. I don't think we can afford to redshirt any of the current 3 recruits as it stands now. If Omiruyi comes or a grad transfer with size, then it could change things, but, for me, the 3 spot is a concern.
Caleb is probably taller than Yeboah and a better outside defender, and there is not much of a difference in rebounding. He will also have another year of experience and time to fill out. I wouldn't underestimate him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT