ADVERTISEMENT

Defense in the pipeline

bamrinnj706

Junior
Sep 14, 2006
Didn’t even think about it until
They flashed the starting lineups we have all Jrs and Srs. Curious if we have a lot of young depth on defense or we might see a slight step back next year.

Defense has plenty of depth, and should maintain its level of performance. Offense lacks talent, especially in the WR and tight End Corp, but this is being rectified. Our Marvin Harrison, Korey Duff, was in the stands yesterday, in front of me, taking in the game.

The key is going to be bringing in transfers to plug any potential holes. Defensively I assume we will look for a DB and a LB in the portal this offseason.

On offense we should be getting help at WR from our own WR room, but we badly, badly need a TE.

I think if we are just talking about the seniors - the d will be good again next year. Maybe better. If we lose too many impact juniors (Lewis, Powell, Melton, Longerbeam...), hard to argue we won't take a step back. Then again in the age of the portal who knows.

I think if we are just talking about the seniors - the d will be good again next year. Maybe better. If we lose too many impact juniors (Lewis, Powell, Melton, Longerbeam...), hard to argue we won't take a step back. Then again in the age of the portal who knows.
I think all 4 of them come back because they can improve their stock. AL has to move from the hits on the QB to sacks, Powell has to show he is fine from the injury, Melton has been inconsistent this year, and Longerbeam is just showing he can be elite.

The key is going to be bringing in transfers to plug any potential holes. Defensively I assume we will look for a DB and a LB in the portal this offseason.

On offense we should be getting help at WR from our own WR room, but we badly, badly need a TE.
We are much better at selecting defenders in the portal, than we are, OL, QBs, and WRs. #10 is a straight boss.

We are much better at selecting defenders in the portal, than we are, OL, QBs, and WRs. #10 is a straight boss.
I think it is more the idea of portal defenders see a successful system that will prepare them to be better. The offense, in the past, has not proven anything.

I think with our success of running the football, and improved passing, we will have more options int he portal for offense.

Specifically our offensive staff can saw this is what we were missing and you can fill that spot when it comes to TE and WR and now OL will see that we can pound the rock on most teams.

I think all 4 of them come back because they can improve their stock. AL has to move from the hits on the QB to sacks, Powell has to show he is fine from the injury, Melton has been inconsistent this year, and Longerbeam is just showing he can be elite.
It's the elephant in the room but if we can bring guys in from other teams - other teams can take our guys. That's my main worry.

Defense has plenty of depth, and should maintain its level of performance. Offense lacks talent, especially in the WR and tight End Corp, but this is being rectified. Our Marvin Harrison, Korey Duff, was in the stands yesterday, in front of me, taking in the game.
Duff , Strong , Brantley , maybe Long ? , Black and several others here now will will help Gavin progress .

Victor Konopka, Michael Higgins, Logan Blake ?

Last edited:
Gavin struggles mightily with accuracy and consistency, part of the solution is clearly an upgrade to the receiving Corp, that wilk help some. Gavin has issues with his timing on delivering the ball, some throws tend to be late in the routes some early hard to tell which is impacting what

The biggest need from the portal is a TE. Duff is a 4 star TE recruit, but you don't want to rely on a true freshman. Needs on D depends on early entry to the NFL draft.

Reactions: gef21
It's the elephant in the room but if we can bring guys in from other teams - other teams can take our guys. That's my main worry.
Honestly Greg is nothing if not a highly thought of defensive coach with NFL head coaching experience to boot. Compare that to salesman, James Franklin.😂

Reactions: redking

We have done fairly well in regards to keeping our players here. As has been discussed in here before, our NIL money goes toward retention, not acquisition. We are not fortunate enough to focus on both. However, Coach has shown the ability to ID talent and develop said talent so we should be Ok.

Obvious progress
Players R going to get drafted
Past history of RU players in the league

Defensive transfers will not be a problem for coach as long as he’s here.

Honestly Greg is nothing if not a highly thought of defensive coach with NFL head coaching experience to boot. Compare that to salesman, James Franklin.😂
Obvious progress
Players R going to get drafted
Past history of RU players in the league

Defensive transfers will not be a problem for coach as long as he’s here.

Particularly for DBs.

Gavin struggles mightily with accuracy and consistency, part of the solution is clearly an upgrade to the receiving Corp, that wilk help some. Gavin has issues with his timing on delivering the ball, some throws tend to be late in the routes some early hard to tell which is impacting what

Think having some 6’2” track stars running under the ball instead of Dremel - who no doubt has earned his role and is super effective - will make some of those overthrows less troublesome.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Does a taller RB out of the backfield catch the pop pass to Kyle( got both hands on it) had intercepted?

This . With Toure and Walker at LB our D will have a chance to be special.

Our record and being in a bowl will make it a little easier to convince transfers and recruits that we are on the upswing

According to some he sucks as he's not as good as Harrison Jr.
All teams need players like Dremel who embodies the will to win . Sure we all want guys like Harrison Jr. and eventually if Schiano can continue on this path he will get us there. I doubt anyone who was here between 2001-2011 doesn’t believe ( if he stayed ) we would have had success Early on in the B1G.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Toure is likely gone, it makes sense to take his shot for the NFL
Really? He's too undersized to be a DE in the NFL and he can be shaky at LB. Great potential but I would think he needs another year of development.

Reactions: RUBOB72
I think we should be more genuinely concerned keeping Joe Harasymiak as the DC …see USC just fired their guy Grinch?

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
Really? He's too undersized to be a DE in the NFL and he can be shaky at LB. Great potential but I would think he needs another year of development.
He is a 5th year player, and has shown he is healthy coming off the knee injury. Not saying he would make an NFL roster, but it probably worth a shot to try after this season.

He is a 5th year player, and has shown he is healthy coming off the knee injury. Not saying he would make an NFL roster, but it probably worth a shot to try after this season.
Oh I didn't realize he's out of eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT