ADVERTISEMENT

Do you plan on contributing to a RU NIL collective in the next year?

Have you contributed to a RU NIL collective or do you plan on doing so in the next 12 months?

• Total voters
Donating is a personal choice
Some are content w the status quo
Others want championships

If championships are the goal, $$ is needed for a variety of things

Coaches
Players
Analysts
Training
Nutrition
Buildings
Etc.

NIL is sink or swim, it’s either donate or fall further behind

I go to games for a variety of reasons, but a winning / competitive product means a lot to me

If that means donating $ towards NIL, I’m all for it - those that believe in that vision and want optimal results will donate, the ones that don’t won’t

No need to shame anyone that doesn’t donate as it’s their right, just like those that do donate shouldn’t be hosed either

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I think "make one kid rich" is a little misplaced considering:

Note - I have no issue with the AD requiring donations or using funds to fly HC Schiano around. Spend more money on flying HC Schiano around.
Just don't understand the hard line people draw between donating to the AD and donating to an NIL collective.

The "tax deduction" item above from @Knight Shift probably the best reason I've seen someone mention.
Question for you- how did you find that exact landing page for the Football Travel Fund. We logged onto our account, and we could not navigate to that page. Was looking for specific funds under Men's Basketball, but could not find anything like a travel fund, just for Men's Basketball. Thanks.

I won't. I am happy to donate to several Olympic RU programs year after year. I know where the funds are going because I speak to the coaches. That's what works for me. I never complain about a single recruit. If they don't want to come here, someone else of high quality is waiting for the opportunity. Thanks. $$$$
I donated to the same two sports through both RFund and KTR. FH and WSOC. Won't donate to FB or MBB outside my tickets.

The basic argument against NIL seems to always be “the AD is so poor at financial management they need every single possible dollar just to keep the lights on. Zero extra can go towards players directly.”
No, the basic argument against NIL is that the sport fundamentally cannot exist with it in place. The sport (intercollegiate D1 college football) will disappear as we know it and be replaced by 25 to 30ish teams that are competitive and the remainder resembling some version of club sport. Specifically, as it relates to Rutgers, the school (administration, faculty, politicians, local sports media) will not support the payments needed to compete with those 25 to 30ish teams and the more the gap widens, the more the calls to pull scholarships and dismantle the team will continue. And once the football team gets defunded, there goes everything else.

Reactions: goru1869
Most of my donations will still go to the school. But will allocate a small portion for NIL.

Frankly I have not and don’t plan on it. I don’t know how to do so, the markets have taken about 10-15% of my net worth and inflation has taken some more.

So a definite no for this year for me.
You should reconsider if you care about Rutgers Footballs success. Small dollars like $10 a month given to the collective,
can have a big impact, because they will be pooled with other donations. Trips to Starbucks cost more.

If a lot of our alumni gave a little, it would enhance our ability to compete. This particular NIL collective will enhance our ability to retain our student athletes.

And if you don’t feel comfortable giving to the collective or need the tax deduction, then give to the R fund. Lots of money will be needed to build the new Football Fieldhouse, which is sorely needed.

Rutgers Football’s ability to compete will be dictated by the support we provide. Ohio States NIL collective has raised $13M. Penn State is spending at least $50M to upgrade their Football Center, which is already better than ours.

there is ample opportunity to facilitate Rutgers Football’s success. As long as lots of people do what they can, that’s good enough. A little bit goes a long way.

I'm donating to NIL through a monthly automatic deduction. I earmarked my donation to go to the baseball team. In reading some of the comments, that apparently makes me a bad fan.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT