ADVERTISEMENT

Does Greg finally have a Big 10 staff

Torres is the most overrated Yankees manager of all time.

said it, it's out there

It's year 4 and there are serious question marks on the talent level on the OL, TE, WR and QB. Who is responsible for bringing in talented players via HS recruiting or through the portal? Funny how THAT works.
on top of that, the qb situation alone screams concern. People forget, in year 3, Greg was set with you know who! wtf??????

Reactions: RutgersSam
It's year 4 and there are serious question marks on the talent level on the OL, TE, WR and QB. Who is responsible for bringing in talented players via HS recruiting or through the portal? Funny how THAT works.

The buck stops with Schiano. But we have to be cognizant of the Rutgers Football context.

From what I saw last Saturday, all these issues are in the process of being resolved. Of course we all want these issues resolved yesterday, but that’s not how it works. Kids have to develop and get better, and we have to be patient because there are no shortcuts to success. The baseline talent is there and will be augmented by the Monster Class we are bringing in.

The buck stops with Schiano. But we have to be cognizant of the Rutgers Football context.

From what I saw last Saturday, all these issues are in the process of being resolved. Of course we all want these issues resolved yesterday, but that’s not how it works. Kids have to develop and get better, and we have to be patient because there are no shortcuts to success. The baseline talent is there and will be augmented by the Monster Class we are bringing in.
wtf did you see last saturday that makes you feel good?
they were slow, terrible blocking, run schemes sucked, passing was poor etc etc

wtf are you talking about??

Respectfully disagree. They knew what they were up against with our top WRs graduating and moviing on. They did next to nothing in the portal. Same with TE, a transfer would have bolstered the room. And a seasoned QB would be a wise addition, just like NW added Ben Bryant from Cincinnati, a QB who threw for 6,000 yards in the last two seasons and 35 TDs and 14 INTs. With portal transfers available, patience is for losers and no longer a virtue. Keep holding your breath on the 9 year rebuild.

Staff is pretty good.

Need more NIL support though. That’s really the only thing that matters. Are there still people on this board saying they’ll never donate to NIL or that they’ll only donate to facilities (which is a complete waste of money).

Respectfully disagree. They knew what they were up against with our top WRs graduating and moviing on. They did next to nothing in the portal. Same with TE, a transfer would have bolstered the room. And a seasoned QB would be a wise addition, just like NW added Ben Bryant from Cincinnati, a QB who threw for 6,000 yards in the last two seasons and 35 TDs and 14 INTs. With portal transfers available, patience is for losers and no longer a virtue. Keep holding your breath on the 9 year rebuild.
Al will have excuses for Schiano and the program until his dying day. GS is stealing salary, pure and simple.

Al will have excuses for Schiano and the program until his dying day. GS is stealing salary, pure and simple.
Respectfully disagree with you too on your "stealing" comment. Greg is coaching the way he coaches--he believes in developing talent, Al is not completely wrong. There is development going on in the program, and we "should" see better results on the field this year. But with the transfer portal, that is the opportunity to pick up experienced talent, and Greg said RU is looking for 1 or 2 WRs in the portal at a recent presser. There is no need to vilify a head coach as "stealing." Greg works very hard, and hopefully we will see better results this year. IMO, the program is in much better shape under Greg's leadership than what it was when he took over.

wtf did you see last saturday that makes you feel good?
they were slow, terrible blocking, run schemes sucked, passing was poor etc etc

wtf are you talking about??

I saw mostly 2nd and third string players play with great effort despite adverse conditions. Happy to see new kids in there like Bo Masco whack the ball carrier. Guys like Angoy were solid performers. Good to see Sutton in there.

1st String players who have solidified their positions were held out. But 1st stringers who played did well.

any type of determination based on what we saw Saturday is premature.

Respectfully disagree with you too on your "stealing" comment. Greg is coaching the way he coaches--he believes in developing talent, Al is not completely wrong. There is development going on in the program, and we "should" see better results on the field this year. But with the transfer portal, that is the opportunity to pick up experienced talent, and Greg said RU is looking for 1 or 2 WRs in the portal at a recent presser. There is no need to vilify a head coach as "stealing." Greg works very hard, and hopefully we will see better results this year. IMO, the program is in much better shape under Greg's leadership than what it was when he took over.
working hard and working smart are 2 different things. Greg is failing so whatever he's doing, he needs to do a 180

Well, you can now partially blame the fans/boosters as well because there is the ability to purchase players.

• Haha
Reactions: KevH and RUTGERS95
Stealing in the ‘undeserving of the job and $32M salary’ sense, not about effort. We hired a ‘has been’ who couldn’t hack it anywhere since his first stint and who sparked protests at UT. Effort means nothing if you can’t pass midfield and lose 37-0 against a weak opponent. Try as he might, he’s toxic to offense and it’s no wonder he can’t get any decent pass game recruits (inc the qb bust).

Last edited:
Stealing in the ‘undeserving of the job and $32M salary’ sense, not about effort. We hired a ‘has been’ who couldn’t hack it anywhere since his first stint and who sparked protests at UT. Effort means nothing if you can’t pass midfield and lose 37-0 against a weak opponent. Try as he might, he’s toxic to offense and it’s no wonder he can’t get any decent pass game recruits (inc the qb bust).
well said

Agree. I didn't want GS back, but he's here and he's working his ass off to try and improve things.

He might not succeed, or he might. But it's lame and low-class for people to constantly beat up on a coach that tries hard but fails.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
Agree. I didn't want GS back, but he's here and he's working his ass off to try and improve things.

He might not succeed, or he might. But it's lame and low-class for people to constantly beat up on a coach that tries hard but fails.
he's paid and paid incredibly well. nothing low class for beating him up for sucking. He can work all he wants, but doesn't mean he'll succeed or he's doing it intelligently. He ought to step back and pivot from what he's doing cause it's not working and only setting up failure. I'll blast him for his INEPT handling of this program

in no way can anyone argue that he's not INEPT here.

working hard and working smart are 2 different things. Greg is failing so whatever he's doing, he needs to do a 180
He hasn't succeeding here in this second stint. He may never succeed. We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, most of the people who constantly bash GS come across sounding ridiculous. Other D1 coaches who've had more success than GS can criticize him legitimately because they have actually done it; they have credibility. You, me, and everyone else lacks any credibility.

All any of us can do is judge his results, which have been unsatisfactory. You can babble about working smart, but it's just meaningless fan-babble. You have no idea what you're taking about having never coached D1 CFB. GS might fail, but all of us would fail a lot worse.

He hasn't succeeding here in this second stint. He may never succeed. We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, most of the people who constantly bash GS come across sounding ridiculous. Other D1 coaches who've had more success than GS can criticize him legitimately because they have actually done it; they have credibility. You, me, and everyone else lacks any credibility.

All any of us can do is judge his results, which have been unsatisfactory. You can babble about working smart, but it's just meaningless fan-babble. You have no idea what you're taking about having never coached D1 CFB. GS might fail, but all of us would fail a lot worse.
it's and he are fair game.

I'll just leave this here; who was pegged to be the starting qb in year 3 of Greg's tenure during second stint

nuff said

I'll just leave this here; who was pegged to be the starting qb in year 3 of Greg's tenure during second stint

nuff said
Everybody everywhere is fair game. That's not my point.

It's about credibility. Fans everywhere have a tendency to pontificate about that which they obviously have no clue. And I get it, it's fun and gives people something to talk about. And people LOVE to whine and complain - it's why game threads are twice as many pages when the team sucks as when the team's doing great.

But fans lack all credibility for their opinions. They're hindsight heroes. Their opinions are essentially worthless.

If they are self-aware enough to realize all that, then fine; they're having fun but don't take themselves too seriously while doing it. If they lack all self-awareness and actually think they're smarter about football than the head coach of any D1 team (having never shown they could succeed at waterboy, let alone HC), then they just look clueless and silly.

You criticizing GS for coaching would be like me criticizing you in finance. I have zero experience and zero credibility in that area. Really smart people know when they're operating outside their wheelhouse. When they don't, it's either a personality disorder or they're just not all that smart.

nuff said
Seriously.

It’s comes with the territory.
Everybody everywhere is fair game. That's not my point.

It's about credibility. Fans everywhere have a tendency to pontificate about that which they obviously have no clue. And I get it, it's fun and gives people something to talk about. And people LOVE to whine and complain - it's why game threads are twice as many pages when the team sucks as when the team's doing great.

But fans lack all credibility for their opinions. They're hindsight heroes. Their opinions are essentially worthless.

If they are self-aware enough to realize all that, then fine; they're having fun but don't take themselves too seriously while doing it. If they lack all self-awareness and actually think they're smarter about football than the head coach of any D1 team (having never shown they could succeed at waterboy, let alone HC), then they just look clueless and silly.

You criticizing GS for coaching would be like me criticizing you in finance. I have zero experience and zero credibility in that area. Really smart people know when they're operating outside their wheelhouse. When they don't, it's either a personality disorder or they're just not all that smart.
Maybe he actually is better at grilling after all.

This is going to be a really fun thread to bump after Rutgers & Schiano over-perform this season

Fans underestimate just how incompetent Gleeson was. Dude didn’t even give Pacheco full reps. Couldn’t develop an OL for his life, and has never really developed any NFL talent. He was an OC under two HCs who were the playcallers. He never did much. SG was a nice guy who Schiano wanted to succeed, but wasn’t cut out for it

On flip side, Kirk has been highly underrated. Guy goes to tough situations and turns them around. Developed a lot of NFL talent in his career. Knows how to build and develop a line. Add in Brock and Flaherty, and we’ll see an offense that can finally move the ball and grind T.O.P.

But it’s the defense that looks elite. I see 4-5 NFL players, maybe more. ON. A. RUTGERS. DEFENSE. That’s Schiano’s development at work.

Our DLine is nuts: Aaron Lewis, Wesley Bailey, Kyonte Hamilton, Mayan Ahanotu

LB corps is stacked: Deion Jennings | Tyreem Powell | Mohamed Toure

Max Melton passing on NFL to be our shutdown corner

Have faith, RU-faithful. This year could be a lot of fun

This is going to be a really fun thread to bump after Rutgers & Schiano over-perform this season

Fans underestimate just how incompetent Gleeson was. Dude didn’t even give Pacheco full reps. Couldn’t develop an OL for his life, and has never really developed any NFL talent. He was an OC under two HCs who were the playcallers. He never did much. SG was a nice guy who Schiano wanted to succeed, but wasn’t cut out for it

On flip side, Kirk has been highly underrated. Guy goes to tough situations and turns them around. Developed a lot of NFL talent in his career. Knows how to build and develop a line. Add in Brock and Flaherty, and we’ll see an offense that can finally move the ball and grind T.O.P.

But it’s the defense that looks elite. I see 4-5 NFL players, maybe more. ON. A. RUTGERS. DEFENSE. That’s Schiano’s development at work.

We will all want that to happen.

Seriously.

It’s comes with the territory.

Maybe he actually is better at grilling after all.
Good. Go pick him up and bring him over to my place and he can BBQ some good eats for us while we solve all the world's problems with our combined genius. 😀

For sure we have some good players. Most of the other teams we play nowadays have good players too. We have competent coaches. So do the other teams.

The problem is we're not deep enough with good enough players. And that makes us too reliant on good luck, injury-wise. Some other teams we play have the same problem, but perhaps not many, at least not in the East division.

We need to be 2-3 people deep with people as good as or better than the one's you've mentioned. Then we can compete even when we're beat up health-wise. What GS is saying when he says we're young is that we're not yet deep enough.

So, for now at least, recruiting while going through some awful seasons is the most critical coaching requirement.

Right now, to win more than we've been doing, we need to have some good luck, injury-wise, and also have a couple/few good coaching games when the other team's coaches have off days. Maybe in a couple years, with good enough recruiting and player development, we won't be so reliant upon luck.

This stuff is a constant w/pretty much all teams and coaches. When digging one's way up from the bottom, it takes some good luck. Hard work and good coaching decisions can only carry you so far when those things are pretty much ubiquitous with all your conference opponents.

Reactions: RW90 and Ash_Hole
Good. Go pick him up and bring him over to my place and he can BBQ some good eats for us while we solve all the world's problems with our combined genius. 😀
- He’ll complain the grill isn’t big enough
- The spatula is too small
- Your choice of meat isn’t what he would have picked
- Demand he, and only he, wear the apron

Nah, I’m good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mildone
There is at least a real OL coach and an OC who's produced competent offenses in other programs. It remains to be seen if Schiano lets KC run the offense he wants to run or we get the co-coordinator shit show we got the first time KC was here.
Of course KC runs the offense that’s not even in question . You also failed to mention the real coaches on the defensive side of the ball .

Regarding Gleason, what would you expect GS to say about him while he was still on staff that he sucked and couldn't coach? Greg's history regarding terminating coaches/ coordinators in mid season is very unusual for him, in fact can't remember it ever happening. something really came apart internally to have this happen. On the other hand GS bears the responsibility for hiring Gleason. one thing for sure Nunz's dress rehearsal as OC was an unmitigated disaster.
The something that , as you say , happened was gleeson and his weird handling of the plays and personnel . For those that know Schiano it was just too much to let him continue on and had to cut him in season which he never does. Schiano tried the shiny new wave toy in gleeson and it backfired.

hahah, you just made my point in earlier thread

Rutgers doesn’t have access to the best transfers because we don’t have the NIL support and our facilities are weak. So our best way of building the program is through good old fashioned high school recruiting.

Without NIL support, it’s tough to do anything, so they’re going with the status quo, unless they come up with an opportunity that bolsters the roster. Have you seen Northwestern’s new football facility which looks like a palace? Things like this make it difficult to compete in recruiting. We need NIL support and a football Fieldhouse.

A kid from Maryland transferred to Alabama because he got an NIL package.

Korey Duff is an example of a high school recruit who should be a Rutgers lock. But because of NIL, he may end up elsewhere, which is a shame. Though the coaching staff is battling as best they can.

Once NIL and the Fieldhouse are in place in earnest, we can compete with anyone for recruits. Till then, we will have to do the best we can.

Al...what does “fieldhouse in place in earnest mean”? You are a narcissistic, bloviating idiot.

The staff is improved, it more or less had to be. Gleeson was just not working. I am glad Schiano went with an experienced P5 coordinator, and I think Ciarrocca will be a step up, but there are far more dynamic guys out there who moved around last year, and I expect Kirk to run a relatively vanilla conservative offense. Flaherty is an interesting addition, but he was also around last year as a consultant so did he not have any influence, or does he bear some of the blame?

Even if we are better, one of our biggest issues is that our Big 10 competitors have also gotten better. Wisconsin and Nebraska made major coaching upgrades with Fickell and Rhule. Even looking at a Purdue, I don’t have much of a view of the head coach, but his OC hire Graham Harrell is a home run hire, and the kind of guy I would have preferred to see us go after.

Rutgers doesn’t have access to the best transfers because we don’t have the NIL support and our facilities are weak. So our best way of building the program is through good old fashioned high school recruiting.

Without NIL support, it’s tough to do anything, so they’re going with the status quo, unless they come up with an opportunity that bolsters the roster. Have you seen Northwestern’s new football facility which looks like a palace? Things like this make it difficult to compete in recruiting. We need NIL support and a football Fieldhouse.

A kid from Maryland transferred to Alabama because he got an NIL package.

Korey Duff is an example of a high school recruit who should be a Rutgers lock. But because of NIL, he may end up elsewhere, which is a shame. Though the coaching staff is battling as best they can.

Once NIL and the Fieldhouse are in place in earnest, we can compete with anyone for recruits. Till then, we will have to do the best we can.
First, numerous teams are competing without NIL support, and numerous teams are failing with mega-NIL support (see A&M and Miami). so that dog won't hunt. And you cite Maryland losing a player to Alabama, but how are they competing, Al?

So, it is untrue that "without NIL support, it's tough to do anything." That is an extremely weak excuse and a false flag.

Our facilities are not at all weak. Our practice field is first class, and our facilities in the Hale Center are fantastic.

First, numerous teams are competing without NIL support, and numerous teams are failing with mega-NIL support (see A&M and Miami). so that dog won't hunt. And you cite Maryland losing a player to Alabama, but how are they competing, Al?

So, it is untrue that "without NIL support, it's tough to do anything." That is an extremely weak excuse and a false flag.

Our facilities are not at all weak. Our practice field is first class, and our facilities in the Hale Center are fantastic.

Rutgers plays in the Big Ten, where competitors strongly support NIL.

- Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State organizations are all significantly supporting NIL efforts. What is your solution to compete with them if we are not supporting NIL? Our record was 0-8 the last two years, vs these programs.

Maryland spent upwards of $300M on the best football facility money can buy. And they have significant nil support thanks to their underarmour super donor, Northwestern spent $300M on a tremendous football facility. Greg Schiano himself has said that Hale Center is not competitive with peers, which is why he had a new facility written into his contract. The practice field is world class. Hale Center is obsolete.

It is difficult to recruit impact transfers without NIL support, though we seem to be able to get decent defensive players. Offense has been a different story, The left tackle that Schiano wanted last year, took an NIL package and went to LSU. The left tackle we ended up with, struggled. You get what you pay for.

The Schiano apologists are out in full force again, using every excuse possible to justify his ongoing, decades-long incompetence. They're not Rutgers fans - for whatever contrived reason, they're simply Schiano fans.

At Ohio State, Schiano had 5 stars everywhere yet still fielded one of the worst defenses in that program's recent history, thereby refuting this bunk NIL excuse. He then got fired at OSU and wasn't even considered for their head coaching job. He was also fired in Tampa, after an embarrassing stint in the NFL. He was never seriously reconsidered as an NFL head coach.

And in year 3 at Rutgers, his teams are still getting blasted by supposed near-peer programs like Maryland, at home. And yet this is someone who our more delusional fans think will resurrect this program. It's humorous at this point.

Schiano doesn't even have the temperament to field tough questions in his press conferences after all of his losing. He's quick to anger and intimidates the media by questioning their knowledge of the game whenever they ask why he loses so frequently, despite being an abysmal head coach for nearly a generation. Only at Rutgers does someone with his resume get rewarded with a massive contract and undeserved praise from the fanbase.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RUTGERS95
The Schiano apologists are out in full force again, using every excuse possible to justify his ongoing, decades-long incompetence. They're not Rutgers fans - for whatever contrived reason, they're simply Schiano fans.

At Ohio State, Schiano had 5 stars everywhere yet still fielded one of the worst defenses in that program's recent history, thereby refuting this bunk NIL excuse. He then got fired at OSU and wasn't even considered for their head coaching job. He was also fired in Tampa, after an embarrassing stint in the NFL. He was never seriously reconsidered as an NFL head coach.

And in year 4 at Rutgers, his teams are still getting blasted by supposed near-peer programs like Maryland, at home. And yet this is someone who our more delusional fans think will resurrect this program. It's humorous at this point.
Re Ohio State:

blazing saddles no GIF

Getting blown out in year 4?

Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT