ADVERTISEMENT

Down 4, two minutes to go. Who’s the rutgers quarterback you want?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
My friends and I always poised this question in nfl terms . But let’s say rutgers Is down 4, with a championship on the line. Which rutgers QB do you want?

I know a lot of people wouldn’t agree with this, but I am going Chas Dodd. He was that type of player that just got it done at times . UConn and army games as a frosh come to mind.

McMahon. Don't forget the 4.55 40 time and what it does for his escapablity.

I think Nova had the best history of success in those situations. Maybe that was mostly Carroo, but I'd say Nova.
It's funny, I had Nova in mind too, but I would break it down more for him...make it down 4 and 4th down. The one thing I will always remember about this kid is that he was fearless on 4th down. How many 4th and less than 10, instead of a short pass at the marker, he would let a perfect bomb fly.
But if given a choice for a drive down the field, I would have to go with a Senior Teel. Keeping in mind, I only started watching in 2005

I think it matters with more detail. Long odds like on our 10 yard line with no timeouts, then Nova and you just hope you got the good. If we are on the 50 with all timeouts then more workmanlike maybe Hart.

Funny I thought the opposite ... PSU, Kent state, Virginia Tech ... in crunch time you don’t want someone who will throw it to the other team
And of course Louisville. Actually that was the exact situation.. I think we were down 3 with a couple minutes left and he threw a pick with no receiver in sight. Miscommunication.
He still was an underrated player though IMO.

Tough question, because it depends on what line/receivers are with him. If I had to insert a QB onto last year's team... oof, that's a tough one. Might have to be McMahon, since I'd say last year's team may have been an upgrade from what he played with... while most of the other guys (Teel, Savage, etc) played with better lines/receivers.

And of course Louisville. Actually that was the exact situation.. I think we were down 3 with a couple minutes left and he threw a pick with no receiver in sight. Miscommunication.
He still was an underrated player though IMO.

This is how I feel about nova too. Although I wouldn’t trust him on one drive with all the chips down.
His senior season was great. If we can have a quarterback approach that in the BIG again we will be in good shape.

I'd have to know more about the rest of the team, i.e., what kind of weapons we had and what kind of protection the QB had.

please... Beamer should never had gone for it on 4th-and-1 (glad he did).... I loved it. But, Fortay needed 2:30+ to go all of 51 yards...

What are you talking about ?? It was like an 80 yard drive with maybe about 30 seconds or less. Including the winner to Brantley on the last play

I would rank them as:

Teel - led the best RU offense in modern era even though had some WTF games (I.e Navy away)

Nova- Bad Nova would make you rip your hair out. Good Nova with a win over Lville in 2012 and a BCS victory would have made him an all time great at RU.

Erney- great passer and great stats.

Lucas- exciting athletic qb at QB during RU’s transition to high level football and earned a number NFL starts

McMahon- Physical specimen who could throw moon shots, athletic and could run. Played on some of the worst offensive teams seen at RU. Would have been fun to watch with a real offense. Played a bunch in the NFL but not the best decision maker with the ball in his hands.

Savage - NFL arm and stature but walked away from RU when things got tough. Some bright moments (I.e. UConn final play win) but could have been great had he stayed. He even tried to come back later on.

GO RU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT