ADVERTISEMENT

Early look at portal targets

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
We will need to target a combo guard who can score and handle. At guard, we will have Mulcahy (probably), Spencer, Simpson, and Davis (assuming Miller transfers).

Here are a few potential targets (none of whom have entered the portal, but all of whom could be candidates to enter the portal after this season):

- Aaron Estrada, 6-3 senior G at Hofstra who is from Woodbury, NJ and went to St. Benedict’s Prep. He is averaging 20.3 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and 3.6 apg, while shooting 48.4% overall, 36.4% 3-pt, and 80.7% FTs while playing 37 minutes per game. Was the CAA POY last year.

- Jordan Dingle, a 6-3 fourth year junior G at UPenn who is from Valley Stream, NY and attended Blair Academy in Blairstown, NJ. He is averaging 23.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, and 2.0 apg, while shooting 46.8% overall, 36.5% 3-pt, and 86.2% FTs while playing 33 minutes per game. If he is graduating this year, he would HAVE to transfer since the Ivies don’t allow grads to play sports.

- Noah Thomasson, a 6-3 senior G at Niagara who is from Houston, TX, played one year at Houston Baptist, one year at JUCO Butler Community College (KS), and the last two years at Niagara. He is averaging 19 ppg, 3.8 rpg, and 3.5 apg, while shooting 47.2% overall, 36.2% 3-pt, and 66.7% FTs while playing 36 minutes per game.

Reactions: trotter
We will need to target a combo guard who can score and handle. At guard, we will have Mulcahy (probably), Spencer, Simpson, and Davis (assuming Miller transfers).

Here are a few potential targets (none of whom have entered the portal, but all of whom could be candidates to enter the portal after this season):

- Aaron Estrada, 6-3 senior G at Hofstra who is from Woodbury, NJ and went to St. Benedict’s Prep. He is averaging 20.3 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and 3.6 apg, while shooting 48.4% overall, 36.4% 3-pt, and 80.7% FTs while playing 37 minutes per game. Was the CAA POY last year.

- Jordan Dingle, a 6-3 fourth year junior G at UPenn who is from Valley Stream, NY and attended Blair Academy in Blairstown, NJ. He is averaging 23.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, and 2.0 apg, while shooting 46.8% overall, 36.5% 3-pt, and 86.2% FTs while playing 33 minutes per game. If he is graduating this year, he would HAVE to transfer since the Ivies don’t allow grads to play sports.

- Noah Thomasson, a 6-3 senior G at Niagara who is from Houston, TX, played one year at Houston Baptist, one year at JUCO Butler Community College (KS), and the last two years at Niagara. He is averaging 19 ppg, 3.8 rpg, and 3.5 apg, while shooting 47.2% overall, 36.2% 3-pt, and 66.7% FTs while playing 36 minutes per game.

Calopari coached JD dad, Dana Dingle at UMass …Kentucky is a possible landing place for him

How much playing time will there be available with Mulcahy, Spencer and Simpson returning? Doesn’t seem like a lot.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Right now we have one open scholarship with three players incoming. That means we’d need three more players to leave in order to take a slashing guard.

Right now we have one open scholarship with three players incoming. That means we’d need three more players to leave in order to take a slashing guard.
Two open scholarships - McConnell and Aidan Terry. But correct, we need multiple players (2) to leave to open spots.

There is less than zero chance we add a guard via the portal unless Mulcahy decides to not play a 5th year. Gavin Griffiths is your hybrid G/F, sliding immediately into Caleb's role, full stop.

There is a better chance we add a true 3/4 or a 4/5, with Hyatt having one more year and Mag coming off injury. We gave to build in some runway and some help in case Mag isn't hitting the ground running by November, which is an enormous ask for any player.

I am also probably going to wait until fans finally digest, how good JaMicheal Davis actually is......kid is electric in the open court, willing to attack the basket and should be able to contribute next year.

Cliff is not ready for prime time. He stays put for another season.
With the right NIL opportunities,assisted by a team trip to Africa in August Cliff may stay. I have no feel for Paul. Dingle will be playing another year at Penn and then should be the most coveted guard in the portal if he is not drafted. He is excellent. A real volume scorer from anywhere with an NBA body. A treat to watch.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Two open scholarships - McConnell and Aidan Terry. But correct, we need multiple players (2) to leave to open spots.
I’d be a little surprised if we didn’t have a couple guys leave. At least one of the following will most likely be gone.

Miller
Palm
Chol
Wolf
Reiber
Cliff

Cliff is not ready for prime time. He stays put for another season.
Where is Cliff going to develop further? Another year at RU with no comparable big to push him in practice or in the G League where the rosters have plenty of competition? That's the main factor that will determine if he stays or goes.

Reactions: seneca ave
There is less than zero chance we add a guard via the portal unless Mulcahy decides to not play a 5th year. Gavin Griffiths is your hybrid G/F, sliding immediately into Caleb's role, full stop.

There is a better chance we add a true 3/4 or a 4/5, with Hyatt having one more year and Mag coming off injury. We gave to build in some runway and some help in case Mag isn't hitting the ground running by November, which is an enormous ask for any player.

I am also probably going to wait until fans finally digest, how good JaMicheal Davis actually is......kid is electric in the open court, willing to attack the basket and should be able to contribute next year.
This!
A 4/5 is more of what we need as I expect a few other players to leave in terms of Miller, Palm, and potentially Rieber. We will have a younger team headed into next year but PM and CO will return along with Hyatt, Spencer, and Mag so we will have a nice mix for the year

My OP was only focused on guards, but it goes without saying that a C will be the top priority if Cliff leaves.

I think we need a guard. In comparing our guard play to other good teams, we are sorely lacking speed and quickness, and of course scoring. For 2023, J-Mike is basically Miller’s replacement, and is surely quick, but at least next year, he’s unlikely to fill the bill as another scoring combo guard.

But I acknowledge Hawk’s point that it could be difficult landing a top end portal guard if Paul and Cam are both still here.

And I would add that all of this assumes multiple guys on the current roster will not be here next year, whether due to graduation or entering the portal.

How much playing time will there be available with Mulcahy, Spencer and Simpson returning? Doesn’t seem like a lot.
If you haven't figured it out yet by watching him play, Paul is not a PG. We need the same things from the portal that we needed last year, a legit PG, PF and a center.

Reactions: Ru7580
With the right NIL opportunities,assisted by a team trip to Africa in August Cliff may stay. I have no feel for Paul. Dingle will be playing another year at Penn and then should be the most coveted guard in the portal if he is not drafted. He is excellent. A real volume scorer from anywhere with an NBA body. A treat to watch.
For those who value only star rankings and "quality" of offers in recruiting, Dingle was recruited primarily by Ivies and Patriot league schools with a low star ranking, if any.

Would not surprise me if we took a guard, but I think the priority will be

1a) a wing
1b) a big

Ideally Baye Ndongo is ready to play next year right away and Antonio Chol will be ready after a RS year. But realistically, we need an experienced player to fill in Caleb's role (Gavin will play a TON next year but we could use a veteran to help him along, especially if Mag isn't 100% to start the year). We also NEED someone to give us good minutes behind Cliff (if he returns). If he doesn't return, Pike will be able to land a very sought after big, I have no doubt about that. I don't have any names, but Pike has a lot to sell right now and he turned down a lot of interested players this past off-season who were interested in Rutgers

Everyone has a lot of IFS

But IF we don’t have any losses except caleb,(and Mag is ready in November )

I think we stick with the roster

Three rotation guards in Paul, cam , and Derek …with a forth depth piece in LeMichael Davis

Three rotation forwards in Mawot, Gavin and Aundre…with a fourth deoth piece in Baye Ndongo

Center manned by cliff with support off the bench by Wolf and Ndongo

Need to see who stays , but I’ll take my chances with the roster next year ….if everyone is back and is 100%

If you haven't figured it out yet by watching him play, Paul is not a PG. We need the same things from the portal that we needed last year, a legit PG, PF and a center.

While that may be true, the minuted aren't really available to entice an impact transfer.

Mulcahy 32m
Spencer 30m
Simpson 18m
Miller 7m

Is HC Pike going to drastically cut seniors Mulcahy and Spencer minutes?
Are we pushing Simpson out of the rotation after 1 year?

Just not seeing how the numbers work.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
While that may be true, the minuted aren't really available to entice an impact transfer.

Mulcahy 32m
Spencer 30m
Simpson 18m
Miller 7m

Is HC Pike going to drastically cut seniors Mulcahy and Spencer minutes?
Are we pushing Simpson out of the rotation after 1 year?

Just not seeing how the numbers work.

Exactly …If everyone is back …can see a legit roster of 8 -9 guys

Mulchay 28
Omouyri 28
Spenser 26
Mawot 24
Griffin 24
Hyatt 20
Simpson 20
Ndongo 12
Davis 12
Wolfolk 6

Reactions: redking
Would not surprise me if we took a guard, but I think the priority will be

1a) a wing
1b) a big

Ideally Baye Ndongo is ready to play next year right away and Antonio Chol will be ready after a RS year. But realistically, we need an experienced player to fill in Caleb's role (Gavin will play a TON next year but we could use a veteran to help him along, especially if Mag isn't 100% to start the year). We also NEED someone to give us good minutes behind Cliff (if he returns). If he doesn't return, Pike will be able to land a very sought after big, I have no doubt about that. I don't have any names, but Pike has a lot to sell right now and he turned down a lot of interested players this past off-season who were interested in Rutgers
what are the chances Mag is ready to go at the start of the season? i was under the impression ACLs take a full year

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Exactly …If everyone is back …can see a legit roster of 8 -9 guys

Mulchay 28
Omouyri 28
Spenser 26
Mawot 24
Griffin 24
Hyatt 20
Simpson 20
Ndongo 12
Davis 12
Wolfolk 6
You must be quite the super fan, you misspelt the names of 5 of our players . . .

Not anymore. He should be good to go for conference play at the latest.
I think he will be ready for the season. The recovery times in general are shorter now. Akers played RB in the NFL 6 months after a torn ACL.

The question will be if he "lost a step" and maybe isn't fully back to himself until later in the season etc

Amari Williams, Drexel big man

Go pay him double whatever we paid Caleb

Great D inside, great rebounder, great passer

Watch the clips

I see 2 baskets of players who potentially could leave

Miller Oskar Dean are the not B1G level types who won't have much path to playing time. Dean maybe more likely to stay if Cliff leaves

Cliff Paul Hyatt another bucket. Cliff could go pro (no I'm not saying he will be drafted). Paul maybe moves on but think he stays. Hyatt 6th year maybe he doesn't want to be in college anymore or maybe he transfers somewhere to be a starter

I'd be shocked if anyone else left and think we see 2 minimum go

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Mag is a warrior as we knew prior to ever actually playing at Rutgers . It will be hard for him regardless as the ACL injury affects each person differently. Though the procedure has been made easier and with quicker , better outcome it’s usually minimum 8-12 for recovery . We have great trainers and rehab at Rutgers but if he’s back at 95 % by December 2023 it will be a bonus .

9 months would be November-December or pretty close. when did he undergo the restructuring surgery ?

Barring setbacks I think Mag likely is ready for the season

Off season it'll give guys like Chol and Ndongo a chance to step up

If Mag was healthy I would put him on Griffiths a lot in practice to get Gavin ready for college level defense. Just another reason Mag injury stinks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT