ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin look-ahead

Chucky Hepburn = Bride of Frankenstein
Bride of Chucky?

So Long Goodbye GIF by USA Network

This is a winnable game. We can’t open the game with cold shooting and give Wisconsin a big lead.

Wisconsin shooting 26.1% from three over their last three games. They play a wildly slow tempo. They are elite at cleaning up the glass. Best free throw percentage in the conference. They don't block a ton at the rim.

Need to hound them on defense and force turnovers. Cliff needs to play clean inside. Can't let them get to the foul line. God knows we barely get a home whistle. Guards need to get downhill and the team needs to focus on feeding Cliff. No bad 3s or long 2s.

If their slump from outside continues, this is a winnable game with a raucous crowd.

Reactions: RC71 and BillyC80
Chucky — JMike
Klesmit — Simpson
Storr — JWill
Wahl — Mag
Crowl — Cliff
I'd consider starting Hyatt here and give him Wahl and let Mag have Storr.. Too much size disadvantage on Storr/JWill and will put JWill in foul trouble again.

Every game in this series have close finishes going back to the Corey Sanders teams, Wisconsin leads 5-4 & road team has won the last 4.

Feb 18, 23(22-23) Rutgers 58 @ Wisconsin 57
Feb 26, 22(21-22) Wisconsin 66 @ Rutgers 61
Feb 12, 22(21-22) Rutgers 73 @ Wisconsin 65
Jan 15, 21(20-21) Wisconsin 60 @ Rutgers 54
Feb 20, 20(19-20) @ Wisconsin 79 Rutgers 71
Dec 11, 19(19-20) @ Rutgers 72 Wisconsin 66
Dec 3, 18(18-19) @ Wisconsin 69 Rutgers 64
Jan 5, 18(17-18) @ Rutgers 64 Wisconsin 60
Jan 28, 17(16-17) @ Wisconsin 61 Rutgers 54(OT)

We limit the mistakes, we win.

Every game in this series have close finishes going back to the Corey Sanders teams, Wisconsin leads 5-4 & road team has won the last 4.

Feb 18, 23(22-23) Rutgers 58 @ Wisconsin 57
Feb 26, 22(21-22) Wisconsin 66 @ Rutgers 61
Feb 12, 22(21-22) Rutgers 73 @ Wisconsin 65
Jan 15, 21(20-21) Wisconsin 60 @ Rutgers 54
Feb 20, 20(19-20) @ Wisconsin 79 Rutgers 71
Dec 11, 19(19-20) @ Rutgers 72 Wisconsin 66
Dec 3, 18(18-19) @ Wisconsin 69 Rutgers 64
Jan 5, 18(17-18) @ Rutgers 64 Wisconsin 60
Jan 28, 17(16-17) @ Wisconsin 61 Rutgers 54(OT)

We limit the mistakes, we win.

Wisconsin has historically played a slow tempo which matches up well vs Pike's great defensive teams. Less possessions for Wisconsin plus good D from us means a low scoring affair. Even average offense puts us in this game.

A couple of things stand out from the box score for Wisconsin-Michigan. I didn't see any of the game, took the kids to Dave & Buster's... :)

Looks like Crowl had foul trouble limiting him to 19 minutes, and wasn't all that effective when he played anyway with just three points and four rebounds. His backup Winter was not a factor, either: 17 minutes, 1 point, 3 rebounds. Michigan was +11 on the boards.

Wisconsin doesn't turn it over much, but on the bright side, they don't force many turnovers, either. Opponents are averaging right around 10 turnovers per game against the Badgers in conference. In comparison, we have forced 14.7 turnovers per game in league action.

If we take care of the ball better in the first half than we have in the last two games, I think this is a good matchup for us.

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80
Wisconsin is a good match up for Rutgers because they are a low scoring team with poor 3 point shooters.Staying out of foul trouble for starters will be a key to the game because Wisconsin has players that dribble drive to the basket.

Reactions: Scangg
Wisconsin is a good match up for Rutgers because they are a low scoring team with poor 3 point shooters.Staying out of foul trouble for starters will be a key to the game because Wisconsin has players that dribble drive to the basket.
Wisconsin is not a “low scoring” team. In fact, they average over 75 ppg and have the 11th best Offensive efficiency (119.5) in the country. They also have a 35% 3-pt average as a team, which is solid.

What I suspect you mean to say is that they are a slower, more plodding half court offense, which is a better matchup for our defense. Indeed, Wisconsin has the 314th ranked adjusted tempo per KenPom at 65 possessions per 40 minutes.

As a general proposition, teams that historically (and this year) give our defense a more difficult time have a much higher tempo. Illinois is ranked 75th (69.7 possessions), and Iowa is ranked 17 (72.7), whereas teams that we historically play good defense against have a lower tempo. SHU is ranked 290 (65.5), Maryland is ranked 303 (65.2), OSU is ranked 298 (65.3), Purdue is ranked 161 (68.0), and Indiana is ranked 138 (68.4).

We match up well with Wisconsin because we are better at playing lower tempo games than we are at playing higher tempo games. And we have defensive players who can defend Wisconsin’s players well.

Is AWill playing Saturday?
Chucky doesn’t make everything go for them this year. Storr and Klesmit are their 2 best players who can penetrate and drill 3’s. They are both in a slump and hope to keep them in their slump on Saturday. Crowl has had a really bad 5-7 game stretch and their backup Winter has not picked up the slack. Hopeful for Cliff to have a 25/12/ 5 block breakout game.

Chucky doesn’t make everything go for them this year. Storr and Klesmit are their 2 best players who can penetrate and drill 3’s. They are both in a slump and hope to keep them in their slump on Saturday. Crowl has had a really bad 5-7 game stretch and their backup Winter has not picked up the slack. Hopeful for Cliff to have a 25/12/ 5 block breakout game.
Storr is averaging over 21 a game the last five, on his season averages, he's not in a slump. Wahl has been up and down.

Storr is averaging over 21 a game the last five, on his season averages, he's not in a slump. Wahl has been up and down.
Storr has been slumping from 3. Started out the first 15 games on fire. He had 28 and 30 point games earlier. He is dangerous and Mag or Hyatt have to play him tight.

I was just asking if Austin Williams was playing

• Haha
Reactions: fatsam98
One team's slump is another team's savior I guess

Imagine if we had anyone scoring over 20 points for a 5 game stretch?

Storr has been slumping from 3. Started out the first 15 games on fire. He had 28 and 30 point games earlier. He is dangerous and Mag or Hyatt have to play him tight.
We agree he's dangerous. He's scored 28 twice in their last 5.

Wisconsin is a good team not great but they will be coming in desperate after the last 3 losses. We cannot afford the turnovers and the bad turnovers that lead to run outs. We cannot let Storr or Klesmit get lost in transition for a three. They run good offense with screening and motion. Our defense will have to be solid.

More curious if we can get the second halves of Maryland and Michigan duplicated with those outstanding offensive efficiency numbers.
Also curious if we can get some inside out action from Cliff to Hyatt and Gavin. We won our last 2 hitting only 2 and 3 total threes. Hard to win that way since everything else has to be way above par. We knock down 6-7 then we could have a nice formula Saturday and going forward.

Wisconsin is a good team not great but they will be coming in desperate after the last 3 losses. We cannot afford the turnovers and the bad turnovers that lead to run outs. We cannot let Storr or Klesmit get lost in transition for a three. They run good offense with screening and motion. Our defense will have to be solid.

More curious if we can get the second halves of Maryland and Michigan duplicated with those outstanding offensive efficiency numbers.
Also curious if we can get some inside out action from Cliff to Hyatt and Gavin. We won our last 2 hitting only 2 and 3 total threes. Hard to win that way since everything else has to be way above par. We knock down 6-7 then we could have a nice formula Saturday and going forward.
The bullish thing about these wins is getting them on the road while shooting like 💩 from 3

We shot terrible from 3 even by RU standards. What happens in a home game if we have an average or maybe even a good game from 3?

The bullish thing about these wins is getting them on the road while shooting like 💩 from 3

We shot terrible from 3 even by RU standards. What happens in a home game if we have an average or maybe even a good game from 3?
Our 3-pt shooting has been abysmal for the past five games.

1/17 Nebraska (W) - 11/29 - this was our last good game from deep.

1/21 @ Illinois (L) - 3/14

1/28 Purdue (L) - 4/16

1/31 Penn State (L) - 1/17 - Oh my goodness

2/3 @ Michigan (W) - 2/13

2/6 @ Maryland (W) - 3/13

So in our last five games, we are shooting 13 for 73 from 3-pt range, which is a percentage of 17.8%. That is historically bad. Like really historically bad. It's remarkable that we managed to win two of those games, but I attribute that to the return of Jeremiah Williams and the fact that Michigan is a bad team and Maryland is equally bad on offense (while of course acknowledging that Rutgers is still locked in and hasn't given up on the season).

But "wins" are just not sustainable when you can't hit the ocean from a rowboat from three-point range. Can we please just go back to being "kinda bad" from 3-pt range (i.e., 30%)? And maybe have an occasional game where we're "pretty good" (i.e., 36%)?

Our 3-pt shooting has been abysmal for the past five games.

1/17 Nebraska (W) - 11/29 - this was our last good game from deep.

1/21 @ Illinois (L) - 3/14

1/28 Purdue (L) - 4/16

1/31 Penn State (L) - 1/17 - Oh my goodness

2/3 @ Michigan (W) - 2/13

2/6 @ Maryland (W) - 3/13

So in our last five games, we are shooting 13 for 73 from 3-pt range, which is a percentage of 17.8%. That is historically bad. Like really historically bad. It's remarkable that we managed to win two of those games, but I attribute that to the return of Jeremiah Williams and the fact that Michigan is a bad team and Maryland is equally bad on offense (while of course acknowledging that Rutgers is still locked in and hasn't given up on the season).

But "wins" are just not sustainable when you can't hit the ocean from a rowboat from three-point range. Can we please just go back to being "kinda bad" from 3-pt range (i.e., 30%)? And maybe have an occasional game where we're "pretty good" (i.e., 36%)?
When the 3 point shooting stats can be mistaken for Q1 milestones.... it's not a good sign

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT