ADVERTISEMENT

Easton vs Phillipsburg football game canceled

NAVY - Army Game at West Point this year.

First football game I can remember in my life, I think I was 3, from when my Dad was HC at Valley Forge Military Academy and he went every year.

It’s fascinating to watch us devolve into a geography of 50 different “countries” with each fiefdom (in a more contemporary sense) trying to “out-care” more for the health and well-being of its subjects (I mean citizens) amidst a blizzard or often reactionary and often confusing measures.

Lets hope we are not hit by a tsunami, meteor or Carrington Event...cause we are not ready for those either.

aslo, IN!!

You applied multiple criteria in an effort to diminish the apparent impact.

The real impact is 250K dead so far and heavy strains on hospitals across the country.
Compare hospital capacity today 2020 vs today 2019. Get back to me

And the two towns are literally a 9 iron, maybe an 8, across the Delaware river from each other. This whole interstate travel issue is absurd.
Wow... that person who can hit a 6 mile 9 iron should be the greatest athlete in the history of athletes.

Reactions: thegock
The Hospital I worked at in NJ was always 99 % FULL.

Pre Wuhan Virus.

It was not usual for patients coming from the ER to have to wait till morning for patients going home from their rooms .....or AMA druggies/alcoholies .

Reactions: RUskoolie
So because there are other problems in the world they shouldn't play football? Using that logic we should all just hide in our basements the rest of our lives.
Did I say that ? All I said was “oh the horror “. Life will go on with or without Easton-Phillipsburg. And I only know this because I played hs sports !

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Reactions: thegock
The Hospital I worked at in NJ was always 99 % FULL.

Pre Wuhan Virus.

It was not usual for patients coming from the ER to have to wait till morning for patients going home from their rooms .....or AMA druggies/alcoholies .
And that is a big part of the concern. In normal conditions hospitals at near capacity. If you take normal conditions and then add the covid cases you run out of room.

Wow... that person who can hit a 6 mile 9 iron should be the greatest athlete in the history of athletes.

Hit the 9 Iron from the toll booths on the NJ side and let it go down the road, easy shot as it's all downhill to Easton.

Home of Larry Holmes....

Lets not take lightly the events these kids are missing in their lives, it might not mean nothing to you but it means everything to them.
Agreed, these things shouldn't be taken lightly. As the parent of a senior in high school, I see it first hand. Losing an entire spring season junior year (prom too), now in danger of losing senior basketball season. These kids not only get depressed but are also finding other ways to spend the time they used to spend practicing and playing sports, and that extra time is not typically well spent. Common sense precautions should naturally be taken, but cancelling games and seasons rises to the level of "the cure being worse than the disease". IMO

Hit the 9 Iron from the toll booths on the NJ side and let it go down the road, easy shot as it's all downhill to Easton.

Home of Larry Holmes....
Yeah but the actual schools are not a 9 iron away.

And that is a big part of the concern. In normal conditions hospitals at near capacity. If you take normal conditions and then add the covid cases you run out of room.

Except no elective cutting, AA admissions, Druggies cleaning up

Nailed it. 2020, the year common sense became more uncommon than ever before.

hope these kids organize and line up for some good ol 11 on 11 no pad football
If I were a kid on those teams, I'd do exactly that. And if they happened to let it leak that they were doing this, maybe people who were properly social distanced just might wander by and watch.

So you would have preferred if Murphy tightened restrictions in October? Or kept the beaches closed all summer?

No. I'd prefer that he allowed the game to go on and limited seating to 500. I'd have preferred that he have opened barbers and nail salons at the same time Cuomo opened them in NY, and not stick it to them for complaining. And I'd have preferred that he REALLY clamp down back in the spring where the threat was the worst, long term care facilities and nursing homes.

Want me to now find hospitals that are below their capacity now vs 2019?
Sure and then we can debate why that is happening, and why the strain brought by Covid is still something we need to manage.

Setting up tents parking lots works better in Texas then it would in the winter months in North Dakota, or South Dakota, or Wisonsin, etc.

No. I'd prefer that he allowed the game to go on and limited seating to 500. I'd have preferred that he have opened barbers and nail salons at the same time Cuomo opened them in NY, and not stick it to them for complaining. And I'd have preferred that he REALLY clamp down back in the spring where the threat was the worst, long term care facilities and nursing homes.
I don't disagree with any of this, but can you agree that this is and has been a pretty difficult situation? For the country as a whole, but NJ and other NE specifially given we were the first to get hit with this.

Shockingly, even the NYT said today Trump was right saying keep schools open --read the op ed

Reactions: goru1869
I don't disagree with any of this, but can you agree that this is and has been a pretty difficult situation? For the country as a whole, but NJ and other NE specifially given we were the first to get hit with this.

The farther back you go the more forgiving I am. But what's been on the consistent increase since late April have been the politics involved in the decision making.

Yeah but the actual schools are not a 9 iron away.
Neither school's stadium is at the the high school. These games are played at Fisher Stadium though, which (as the golf ball flies) is closer to the Delaware than P'burg's stadium.

This is why I didnt start a HS "postseason" thread because it wouldve turned into a red vs blue thing. There's some pretty good games this weekend like the South Jersey Championship between Lenape and Holy Spirit. Wouldve given the WJFL kudos for coming up with the "Championship Pod" model, which is how they came up with this game while most of the state came up with a Plus 2 model.

Also have some great North/South matchups this weekend like St. Joe's Montvale/Cherokee and DePaul/Ocean City. Hopefully in the future NJ will FINALLY come up with the Public School North vs South Championship Game...

Anyway... carry on with arguing over the same old tired crap that no one will change their minds about.

The farther back you go the more forgiving I am. But what's been on the consistent increase since late April have been the politics involved in the decision making.
I dunno, I feel the recent decisions are due more to the rising cases and the effort to avoid a worst case scenario in January and February. Which is not to say they are not heavy handed or that politic's are not in the mix to some extent.

Agreed, these things shouldn't be taken lightly. As the parent of a senior in high school, I see it first hand. Losing an entire spring season junior year (prom too), now in danger of losing senior basketball season. These kids not only get depressed but are also finding other ways to spend the time they used to spend practicing and playing sports, and that extra time is not typically well spent. Common sense precautions should naturally be taken, but cancelling games and seasons rises to the level of "the cure being worse than the disease". IMO
Just like that, NJ high school basketball season was reduced from an already shortened 8 weeks to 6 weeks.

It’s fascinating to watch us devolve into a geography of 50 different “countries” with each fiefdom (in a more contemporary sense) trying to “out-care” more for the health and well-being of its subjects (I mean citizens) amidst a blizzard or often reactionary and often confusing measures.

Lets hope we are not hit by a tsunami, meteor or Carrington Event...cause we are not ready for those either.

aslo, IN!!
It will depend on what part of the country it hit. No federal aid if it hit the Northeast.

Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte. The towns are a 9 iron apart, who said anything about the distance of the schools. And if it makes you feel any better, neither school plays their games on campus. The stadiums are probably 3 miles apart.

This is why I didnt start a HS "postseason" thread because it wouldve turned into a red vs blue thing. There's some pretty good games this weekend like the South Jersey Championship between Lenape and Holy Spirit. Wouldve given the WJFL kudos for coming up with the "Championship Pod" model, which is how they came up with this game while most of the state came up with a Plus 2 model.

Also have some great North/South matchups this weekend like St. Joe's Montvale/Cherokee and DePaul/Ocean City. Hopefully in the future NJ will FINALLY come up with the Public School North vs South Championship Game...

Anyway... carry on with arguing over the same old tired crap that no one will change their minds about.

Depaul/Ocean City should be good, that's a long road trip for Depaul! OC games are normally live on Youtube if anyone cares to watch.

Carey%20Stadium.jpg

This is great that these state associations are protecting all of these kids.

Only problem is these kids, as anyone with high school age kids can attest too, are socializing and spending time together like there is no pandemic. Why? Because they have absolutely no fear of it because 99.99% of them, when they get it, have barely any symptoms.

Canceling this game is a damn shame for these kids. Shame on them for not finding a way to play this game.

I dunno, I feel the recent decisions are due more to the rising cases and the effort to avoid a worst case scenario in January and February. Which is not to say they are not heavy handed or that politic's are not in the mix to some extent.

They had been warned about a potential 2nd wave for 6 months. So why the major changes just after an election when cases had been rising for weeks beforehand?

They had been warned about a potential 2nd wave for 6 months. So why the major changes just after an election when cases had been rising for weeks beforehand?
I thought the talk was that all of this was going to disappear after the election?

Reactions: Kbee3 and fsg2
Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte. The towns are a 9 iron apart, who said anything about the distance of the schools. And if it makes you feel any better, neither school plays their games on campus. The stadiums are probably 3 miles apart.
I hope you feel better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT