ADVERTISEMENT

End of SHU rivalry?

Huh? Seton Hall is very much the reason why you guys missed the tournament. Stop calling us irrelevant.

Fwiw he didn’t say shu is irrelevant- he said shu is irrelevant to ru fans

That’s a key difference and one I agree with

Shu is clearly a quality program so you’re not irrelevant but I think it is true that shu fans care a hell of a lot more about the game then RU fans.

I could take it or leave it honestly.

But since shu IS a quality program (this year is ab exception) AND since we need to schedule better OCC apparently dropping shu would be counter productive so keep it

Just beat them

Stop. Seton Hall an NIT team. The math worked out that their NET just missed 75 but come on. Playing them home and away is one of the best things about our OOC schedule (not saying much). They are local. Easy travel. Usually pretty good. It’s been a while since they’ve been awful.

We need to get one off neutral games vs Temple and St Bonnie’s and road games vs Fordham and UMass types off the schedule forever. Playing a neutral game against SJU at MSG where they play many of their home games would really take the cake. These are the games to avoid.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
There's no easier way to play a solid road game every other year, than a team like Seton Hall or Villanova or St John's. All are within 60 to 90 minutes by train or car from the RU campus and offer the same value.

I don't know what RU plans to do when USC and UCLA hits the schedule, so I think the schedule stuff OOC is really a non-issue.

If RU plays 22 to 24 B1G games, there's room for a SHU or game like this. As long as Pat Hobbs is the AD, this game is being played, full stop.

The state of NJ and benefits for the game are somewhat fair for RU fans, moreso than SHU.

A) The current arena seating limits visiting fans, unless the upper 300s of the RAC are ideal.

B) SHU just isn't going to consistently sell 10,500 seats for the lower bowl of the Prudential Center. So there's no reason that 3K to 3500 RU fans, can't find their way to the Prudential Center, especially on a weekend.

C) A road game with no true travel, helps RU, vs a day flying and coming back.

D) Sometimes the program who has the better situation, winds up sacrificing some leverage to a smaller school that doesn't. Shouldn't RU try to set something up with Villanova at Wells Fargo center?? Would that benefit RU or Villanova....?? In that instance, RU would spill into the South Jersey/Philadelphia markets....Nova is assuredly not interested in doing that to help RUs status. So anyone saying RU shouldn't help SHU, I kinda get it.

At the same time, I am not quite sure RU and SHU recruiting are going to cross paths a lot. I would rather play Nova and St John's (if Pitino takes that job) than SHU, in terms of what helps RU. But SHU is fine, just not perfect.

Wait a second….many people are saying we need to upgrade our OOC and here many people are saying eliminate part of the OoC with good conpetitin

So NCAA wants us to up our out of conference schedule and people want to cancel SHU?? Just dumb.

Let's be honest here:
- It's good for SHU/RU to play every year. It's the most important in-state basketball rivalry; it sells out and it always creates buzz in the state, which is a good thing for two programs that historically have not gotten the attention of other teams in their conferences.
- It is good for recruiting as much as we both stick our chests out about conference games being more important. Local kids especially want to play the other team and have their friends and families be a part of it.
- Both teams have had very good NET's and should continue that, so it does help the resume in the OOC.

We certainly have fans that don't like playing the game, but like here, they are in the minority. These kids are not afraid of playing each other, so why should the fans (or even coaches be)?

Reactions: batts
Let's not be short sighted here. That was Year 1 of a new coach
This 100%. And they are in the NIT. Geez - this game is not a problem. Outside of the game we were required to play at Miami, this was the best team on our non-conference schedule. We should be happy to have an annual in state rivalry. Of all the games this is the most important one to keep.

Reactions: HALL85
I’d rather play UCLA, USC, Texas, Kansas any of the ACC, SEC or B12 actually.

We are recruiting nationally… Playing any of those programs/teams in those conferences gives us MUCH more upside. They open up other ecruiting areas and I would argue that the perception of any of those programs is better nationally.

Honestly… If there is a NJ, NY or Northeast kid that we want and so does SHU…. 9 out of 10 times were are going to win their battle right now with all the advantages we have. If we keep playing them and losing the game, we are only going to stymie those advantages. If we keep playing and winning the game it does little to actually help.
We can play those teams and still play Seton Hall. Getting rid of what has perennially been one of our best OOC games seems to be a bizarre way to fix our weak OOC schedule.

Reactions: HALL85
How about this.....

Columbia
Sacred Heart
UMASS Lowell
Temple (N)
Rider
B1G #21 instead of C CT St.
at Miami
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
Hofstra instead of Bucknell
B1G #22 instead of Coppin State

Could people stomach
swapping out 2 Bucknell and Ct Ct state for 2 B1G games
sqapping out Bucknell for Hofstra or Princeton or Yale (whoever doesnt want a 1 for 1 or 2 for 1)

The issue is if we go 18-14 with that schedule we aren't in AND that schedule is 1+ expected loss more.

How about this.....

Columbia
Sacred Heart
UMASS Lowell
Temple (N)
Rider
B1G #21 instead of C CT St.
at Miami
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
Hofstra instead of Bucknell
B1G #22 instead of Coppin State

Could people stomach
swapping out 2 Bucknell and Ct Ct state for 2 B1G games
sqapping out Bucknell for Hofstra or Princeton or Yale (whoever doesnt want a 1 for 1 or 2 for 1)

The issue is if we go 18-14 with that schedule we aren't in AND that schedule is 1+ expected loss more.
I’d rather keep everything you said but the ACC challenge is ending and I don’t see anything so great about the Wake series. I know we have to keep our end of it.

I’d rather replace those 2 with a neutral 8 team tourney. You are allowed to play an extra non-conference game when you enter those. I know there is a chance of drawing a Temple type but I don’t see us laying several back to back to back eggs in a tourney structure. I think we’d pick up at least one neutral win that way - probably 2.

I’d rather keep everything you said but the ACC challenge is ending and I don’t see anything so great about the Wake series. I know we have to keep our end of it.

I’d rather replace those 2 with a neutral 8 team tourney. You are allowed to play an extra non-conference game when you enter those. I know there is a chance of drawing a Temple type but I don’t see us laying several back to back to back eggs in a tourney structure. I think we’d pick up at least one neutral win that way - probably 2.
Oh I missed that you are keeping temple (n). I want that sent off a Cliff. You can put CC back in it’s place. Just add the neutral tourney on. And decline the game at MSG if vs. St John’s.

SHU is an interstate rivalry that should be promoted not abandoned. And with Holloway at the helm, Seton Hall will likely be a Quad 1 or 2 opponent for many years to come.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Replace shu with a better opponent. If you can’t find someone better leave it.
yep and lose that game: "Why the heck Hobbs schedule them, the confrence schedule is hard enough . Hobbs doesn't need to schedule the best, just get the programs RU has the best chance to beat . This game just cost an NCAA appearance !!!!!!!!!!"

yep and lose that game: "Why the heck Hobbs schedule them, the confrence schedule is hard enough . Hobbs doesn't need to schedule the best, just get the programs RU has the best chance to beat . This game just cost an NCAA appearance !!!!!!!!!!"
No it didn’t. Temple and Minny did. We are not going play zero games against decent teams.

Having attended both schools but graduating from Rutgers I favor keeping the rivalry. Back in the early60s Hall bb was certainly better than RU. Now, we should be winning 4 of every 5 games. Until we do, keep them on the schedule. Let’s watch how the Big East does in the tournaments before labeling them a mid major. Hopefully the B1G won’t crap the bed like last year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT