ADVERTISEMENT

Enough about coaches...What 10 Grapplers will represent The State University of New Jersey next season

Just a Guess

125- Peterson or Gibson
133- Shawver
141- Oliveri or Hermes
149- Clark or Cetta
157- Harer
165- White or Barbosa
174- Turley
184- Soldano
197- Poznanski
285- Yara

Great Time to be a RU Wrestling Fan!

Lets Go RU!

Hard to see Gibson and Hermes earn the starting job this year. 165 is going to be a mess. It would be nice if SCW could get there just to get a fresh face in that spot.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Just a Guess

125- Peterson or Gibson
133- Shawver
141- Oliveri or Hermes
149- Clark or Cetta
157- Harer
165- White or Barbosa
174- Turley
184- Soldano
197- Poznanski
285- Yara

Great Time to be a RU Wrestling Fan!

Lets Go RU!
Peterson should start makes sense to RS Gibson.. Olivieri probably starting… Clark 149 if Harer starting at 157.. otherwise Cetta 149 and Clark 157 probably.. yeah are Harer/Barbosa ready to start or better to rs

Harer to 165 actually makes more sense.. then Cetta and Clark gets in 49/57

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
125-Peterson
133-Shawver
141-Oliveri
149-Clark
157-Harer
165-White/Blanchete will get a chance to see if ready with the 5 true frosh dates
174-Turley
184-Soldano
197-Poz
Hwt-Yara

125-Peterson, but give Gibson a chance to challenge. Peterson needs to wrestle to his potential
133-Shawver
141-Olivieri, but allow Alex Nini to challenge. I'm not confident they come back better after a RS year
149-Cetta. How good is Barbosa?
157-Harer, although the roster has him at 165
165-White if he has shown improvement, otherwise Blanchette
174-Turley, only Turley. Hope he comes in ready again this year
184-Soldano, of course
197-Poz, of course
285-Yara-Slav, of course. Would like to see Brandon Toranzo a few times

Let's see wrestleoffs this year. Call it "indicator" or any other term, but be transparent with the results

125- Peterson
133- Shawver
141- Oliveri
149- Clark/Cetta
157- Harer
165- White/Blanchette
174- Turley
184- Soldano
197- Poz
285- Yara

125-Peterson, give Gibson time to heal and get into some open tournaments
133-Shawver
141-Olivieri, Let Nini get acclimated and press if needed
149-Cetta. I liked how he finished the year. Kid is tough as nails.
157-Harer, I believe he is most ready of all the recruits.
165-White he needs to figure it out. Get off bottom and get some offense. If not hand the reigns off to blanchette
174-Turley, kid is funky. Doesn’t need to wrestle every match or tourney. Need to do a better job of keeping him fresh for an ncaa run.
184-Soldano. Keep him fresh
197-Poz reiterate what I said about Turley and sold no . No need to have him in every dual. Need him fresh.
285-Yara.

lol ur so right forgot he transferred in.. he can make a impact right away
Hey, I hope you are right, but so far nothing points that way. He was not a super high recruit- 7th, 4th and 3rd in PA. Went to Oregon State and only wrestled 1 match last year(looks like he got injured). You guys might be thinking of his older brother who is at Nebraska-he went 4, 2, 1st in PA states.

Hey, I hope you are right, but so far nothing points that way. He was not a super high recruit- 7th, 4th and 3rd in PA. Went to Oregon State and only wrestled 1 match last year(looks like he got injured). You guys might be thinking of his older brother who is at Nebraska-he went 4, 2, 1st in PA states.
Similar type of recruit as the current 165. I think people just want new blood there

The only thing I will say is let freshman wrestle as much as possible. And only pull redshirt if they have real shot to qualify for ncaa. I feel in the past they let starters wrestle too much and pad w/l record against duals we would win anyway. Let’s get the kids acclimated.

Reactions: kupuna133
Should be a real solid year and one of our strongest teams. How that translates to NCAA placement I have no idea.

125 Peterson
133 Shawver
141 Oliveri
149 Clark/ if not fully healthy Cetta will beat him
157 Harer
165 Nine yrs later the staff is still trying to figure out this one.
giphy.gif

174 Turley
184 Soldano
197 Poznanski
285 Slavikouski

Last edited:
Where have I heard that before? 🙄
You might have heard that here a time or two in the past. BUT, when has Rutgers had four returning wrestlers with an AA tag after their name? Throw in solids Peterson (blood rounder), Oliveri , Soldano with potential for one or more AAs there. Then a tough Cetta/Clark. An unproven but high recruit in Harar (if he goes). Finally 165 which is well, you know. Is there a preseason lineup for Rutgers for any year which is better than that?

You might have heard that here a time or two in the past. BUT, when has Rutgers had four returning wrestlers with an AA tag after their name? Throw in solids Peterson (blood rounder), Oliveri , Soldano with potential for one or more AAs there. Then a tough Cetta/Clark. An unproven but high recruit in Harar (if he goes). Finally 165 which is well, you know. Is there a preseason lineup for Rutgers for any year which is better than that?
The year we beat #3 VT and had Winston/Mason/Russo was pretty good.. no AA but really good dual meet team solid every weight..

I don't disagree. If they all remain healthy and three of them can get their heads straight. Then, Turley has to come into the season in shape again - he did last year for the first time. Throw Blanchette in at 160 unless White has shown improvement. Invest in Blanchette rather than repeat what we saw last year. Start the guys who are best, don't RS under the premise of developing; too many are at their best right out of high school. Harer should start unless someone is stronger. I'd like to see Gibson challenge too.

You know I make a point of reminding everyone of the annual cycle where there's great optimism, then the WTF moment occurs. When that stops happening, I'll be optimistic too. Coaching has taken a hit and the new guy is slow to materialize. That guy has to get in the room and start working with 165-197. Rivera is still a ? Without him, the lower-weight guys will be at a disadvantage.

I don't disagree. If they all remain healthy and three of them can get their heads straight. Then, Turley has to come into the season in shape again - he did last year for the first time. Throw Blanchette in at 160 unless White has shown improvement. Invest in Blanchette rather than repeat what we saw last year. Start the guys who are best, don't RS under the premise of developing; too many are at their best right out of high school. Harer should start unless someone is stronger. I'd like to see Gibson challenge too.

You know I make a point of reminding everyone of the annual cycle where there's great optimism, then the WTF moment occurs. When that stops happening, I'll be optimistic too. Coaching has taken a hit and the new guy is slow to materialize. That guy has to get in the room and start working with 165-197. Rivera is still a ? Without him, the lower-weight guys will be at a disadvantage.
I’m not really convinced on Blanchette.. people are excited about him bc he’s not from NJ recruit?? Let’s see how the freshmen do with their 5 match allowance before we pencil in any starters..

Should be a real solid year and one of our strongest teams. How that translates to NCAA placement I have no idea.

125 Peterson
133 Shawver
141 Oliveri
149 Clark/ if not fully healthy Cetta will beat him
157 Harer
165 Nine yrs later the staff is still trying to figure out this one.
giphy.gif

174 Turley
184 Soldano
197 Poznanski
285 Slavikouski

Thinking another finish around 20 at NCAA. We're probably looking at another year with around 2 AA.

Thinking another finish around 20 at NCAA. We're probably looking at another year with around 2 AA.
A finish around 20 would be very disappointing. It means they did the absolute minimum with this squad. It's a strong squad and at some point, the expectations have to be raised from simply being happy with low end top 20's.

A finish around 20 would be very disappointing. It means they did the absolute minimum with this squad. It's a strong squad and at some point, the expectations have to be raised from simply being happy with low end top 20's.
It’s a better dual team than tournament team, which historically has been our identity. We should win most conference matches at 133, 197 and 285. We’ll lose most at 165. We’ll be competitive at 125 and 141 and I guess to a lesser extent 149. The questions are what kind of impact Harer makes, which Turley and which Soldano are we getting? The good thing is as long as we don’t give up a ton of bonus in the lower weights, we have a really solid lineup late in duals.

Any combination of 7 guys can AA. I wouldn’t say 2 would be a disappointment though. That’s probably what the betting line should be at, but there’s a lot of guys that can get there, probably the most we’ve ever had.

Any combination of 7 guys can AA. I wouldn’t say 2 would be a disappointment though. That’s probably what the betting line should be at, but there’s a lot of guys that can get there, probably the most we’ve ever had.
I guess the expectations remain the same. Tied for 20th is the benchmark. At this point in Goodale's career, that's a pretty low bar to meet.

Last edited:
I guess the expectations remain the same. Tied for 20th is the benchmark. At this point in Goodale's career, that's a pretty low bar to meet.
Agree. I'm setting the bar low because that's just pretty much where we usually end up. Could we have more than 2 all americans? Sure... I would say the over under should be around 2 though.

Reactions: koleszar
Putting a benchmark of 20 at nationals with this lineup to me means either people are underestimating or are getting a little to used to recent finishes. We shall see how this plays out.

I think we can get above 20th but not by much because we’re unlikely to have a champ and probably not a finalist though Shawver can hang with anyone. I’m also really against how things are scored at nationals and think team standings in an individual tournament is really stupid.

I hope we break through with 4-5 AAs, so we can stop hearing the noise. Peterson, Shawver, Poz, Yara, and 1 more.

Yeah We all know and lets be honest if Rutgers has a Great season You won't be Happy!

He would.. I just think he doesn’t want to have high expectations to be set up for dissapointment… which is understandable ..
Not true. That guy has never said one positive thing about anything other than how right he was for believing that a college wrestling team will have ups and downs every season. Real groundbreaking predictions.

I was asking a question dope. Hence the question mark. I saw a tweet with no context. Of course his health is most important
Dope? That's cute. Posting here that "Hobbs quit?" struck me negatively and I thought you were trying to bash him which is why I had responded that way. My apologies for misinterpreting your OP.

Dope? That's cute. Posting here that "Hobbs quit?" struck me negatively and I thought you were trying to bash him which is why I had responded that way. My apologies for misinterpreting your OP.
My apologies. As I stated I saw a tweet. And then came on to ask a question as I hadn’t seen any stories released yet. Health and family are two of the most important things and no one should ever fault a person for making those a priority

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT