ADVERTISEMENT

ERIC Clapton was once asked a question...

Prince will never get his due because he never fit into one mold.

Best pure guitar payer that ever lived Andres Segovia. Acknowledged as the best classic guitar player that lived.

Clapton+ prince + Hendrick + xxx < Andres

To much sh!t happening in our world today...I'm just gonna listen to Prince and deal with it tomorrow.

To much sh!t happening in our world today...I'm just gonna listen to Prince and deal with it tomorrow.

One of my favorites is "International Lover". Only Prince could pull off THAT tune.

One of my favorites is "International Lover". Only Prince could pull off THAT tune.
International Lover is one of my favorites too. True story, I was listening to random music one day and my big brother said "If you want to listen to some good music, then listen to Prince." I've been listening every since...thanks big bro!

Listenening to Jimi Hendrix right now, this guy is AMAZING! Prince is still my guy though.

The others didn't have Claptons song writing abilities. They were just as good with playing the guitar, but writing many great songs and albums set Clapton apart.

The Layla Album is considered one of the top 3 albums in Rock.
Say what? That album isn't on anyone's top 100 that I know of. It's a good album and Layla is an amazing song, which is usually in the top 50 rock songs of all time, but no way that album is top 3, let alone top 300, in my opinion (and most others).

It comes down to what you like and what your prioritize when coming up with what 'best' means. I mean, yeah, Keith Richards doesn't exactly have awe inspiring technique and chops, but he also came up with a ton of riffs that people still play, listen to and enjoy decades later. Yngwie Malmsteen can play the hell out of the instrument, but hasn't exactly shown an ability to do so in a way that most people like listening to. Who is better between the two? Well, again, it depends on what you mean by better.

Great post. People hum a lot more Keith Richards licks than almost anyone else. The opening to "Satisfaction" is simple brilliance, as are his licks on many other great songs.

Having said that, Hendrix is clearly #1 all-time, as he had the best combination of outrageous virtuosity and incredible musicality - everyone else is playing for 2nd. After him, of course, Clapton, Page, Eddie, Stevie Ray and many others are amazing, but on a personal level, for me, I always loved Johnny Marr (Smiths), J. Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Neil Young, and Steve Howe (Yes).

Great post. People hum a lot more Keith Richards licks than almost anyone else. The opening to "Satisfaction" is simple brilliance, as are his licks on many other great songs.

Having said that, Hendrix is clearly #1 all-time, as he had the best combination of outrageous virtuosity and incredible musicality - everyone else is playing for 2nd. After him, of course, Clapton, Page, Eddie, Stevie Ray and many others are amazing, but on a personal level, for me, I always loved Johnny Marr (Smiths), J. Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Neil Young, and Steve Howe (Yes).

Good call on J Mascis, RU848789. And you know I'm one of Neil Young's biggest fans. Also enjoy Marr's work with The Smiths. But to Yes I say NO. I've never heard anything of theirs that I ever wished to hear again.

Good call on J Mascis, RU848789. And you know I'm one of Neil Young's biggest fans. Also enjoy Marr's work with The Smiths. But to Yes I say NO. I've never heard anything of theirs that I ever wished to hear again.

As my mom always says, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla...

This article by Steve Hoffman talks mostly of the Who concert at the school, but also mentions The Cream concert later that same year. There was a book written about the concerts that has photos of Eric Clapton onstage that night and a photo with Ginger Baker in the teachers lounge before the show. Interesting that we also had Jimi Hendrix booked for a show that the principal cancelled. Jimi didn't want to let us out of the contract but the principal would not relent. We ended up with the Lovin Spoonful instead. Big mistake IMO.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-who-concert-in-the-gym-at-my-high-school.431315/

Cool story. Cream might be my all-time favorite band.

Ironically (apropos of this thread) Clapton was only the 3rd-best musician in that band. Bruce & Baker were wizards. Check out the live version of I'm So Glad on the Goodbye album.

Ironically (apropos of this thread) Clapton was only the 3rd-best musician in that band. Bruce & Baker were wizards. Check out the live version of I'm So Glad on the Goodbye album.[/QUOTE]
Watch "Beware of Mr. Baker", if you haven't. Actually Clapton pretty much backs up what you said and comes across as a very gracious and humble man. Seems psychos wanted to work with him because he was great, all business and to my surprise didn't have an outsized ego.

Ironically (apropos of this thread) Clapton was only the 3rd-best musician in that band. Bruce & Baker were wizards. Check out the live version of I'm So Glad on the Goodbye album.
Watch "Beware of Mr. Baker", if you haven't. Actually Clapton pretty much backs up what you said and comes across as a very gracious and humble man. Seems psychos wanted to work with him because he was great, all business and to my surprise didn't have an outsized ego.[/QUOTE]

Watched it last year. Baker is a fascinating & bat-shit crazy person, but so talented. Can't believe he's survived this long.

lol, I'm just the opposite (with ice cream) - I only eat vanilla, not chocolate...

Really. I always thought that vanilla was sorta an epithet.
But then, of course, that's coming from a chocoholic.

Really. I always thought that vanilla was sorta an epithet.
But then, of course, that's coming from a chocoholic.
Silly point but I used to work at an ice cream parlor. Vanilla outsells all the other flavored combined

Everyone calm down, not everything has to be a black and white issue, that's why I prefer coffee myself.

Eric Clapton was asked, 'how does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world' his response was, 'I don't know you'd have to ask Prince.

I didn't respond to the thread about his death but I have to say, that guy was an amazing talent....I'm a life long fan...I'm listenening to his music today and all I can say is AMAZING!!!
Please don't let me be misunderstood!!

Would that be decaffeinated coffee ice cream?
You know...I have been eating coffee ice cream most of my life and I have never thought about whether it's decaff until now, are you telling me I should read the fine print and I have been eating decaffs all along?:joy:

Everyone calm down, not everything has to be a black and white issue, that's why I prefer coffee myself.

I love coffee ice cream too.
But vanilla is just too.....well...vanilla for my taste.

I love coffee ice cream too.
But vanilla is just too.....well...vanilla for my taste.
Times like this really calls for unity and better understanding of where both sides are coming from, I would very much like to see you pickup a quart of vanilla and RU#s a quart of chocolate, walk a mile in each other shoes.

Times like this really calls for unity and better understanding of where both sides are coming from, I would very much like to see you pickup a quart of vanilla and RU#s a quart of chocolate, walk a mile in each other shoes.

I went one better. I got me a half gallon of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.

Reactions: oldman87
there are things Jimi does better than anyone, but also things that he doesn't.

there is no single "best", and to even have one, you would have to limit the process to "how he plays" and not include "what he plays".

but what is played, is what separates the greats from the great technicians.

Knopfler, Gilmore, Page, top my Mt Rushmore. (in no particular order).

lots competing for the 4th spot.

Bonamassa and Buckingham are the first names that come to mind for consideration for the 4th spot.

my Mt. Rushmore of great extended live guitar performances.

("Stairway" Song Remains The Same version MSG, just skip to the 6 min mark).

(Knopfler, Tunnel Of Love Live. not as well known as others here, but one of the great extended melodic solos ever. skip to the 10 min mark).

(Comfortably Numb live, Pulse version. skip to 4:30 mark).

(Brothers In Arms Live, skip to 4:45 mark).

others to consider, Dire Straits Sultans Of Swing, Alchemy version, (6 min mark good starting point).

"Runnin Down A Dream" live, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4-m-cIZf4

so much for my list that will make air guitarists out of anyone.

here's one in a different vein. imo this was the performance that propelled U2 to another level of stardom. in addition, not sure any other performance did as much to elevate the "rhythm lead" in rock music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zIW8qDPhos U2 "Bad", Live Aid 1985

Half gallon? I think you better walk a few more miles after.

Dude, I didn't eat it all in one sitting. Most of it's sitting in the freezer right now.
And I'm still wondering how they got me to buy that vanilla ice cream. Oh yeah....by placing it between some tasty strawberry and chocolate ice cream and labeling it "Neapolitan".

I got to this thread late and was wondering why, until Ivegotwinners did, no one had mentioned Mark Knopfler. He's in the top five of the ones I've seen and if I could be 1/10,000 the guitarist he is I'd be ecstatic. The Alchemy version of Sultans of Swing above is amazing. Jimi gets my vote as the best, however.

I'm curious how many on this board play guitar. I just started learning a couple of months ago and can't say that I play it yet.

I got to this thread late and was wondering why, until Ivegotwinners did, no one had mentioned Mark Knopfler. He's in the top five of the ones I've seen and if I could be 1/10,000 the guitarist he is I'd be ecstatic. The Alchemy version of Sultans of Swing above is amazing. Jimi gets my vote as the best, however.

I'm curious how many on this board play guitar. I just started learning a couple of months ago and can't say that I play it yet.

There's a live version of "Romeo and Juliet" that I've heard any number of times and is pure awesomeness.
That boy can play.

when MTV was in it's infancy, (i still love you Martha Quinn), they had a concert on either fri or sat eve every week.

one of the first was the Dire Straits concert you see in the Sultans Of Swing video i posted. (Romeo & Juliette was also on there).

later, they released the concert on a double LP titled "Alchemy", which i immediately went out and purchased.

on the album liner notes, it pointed out that everything was presented just as recorded, with no fixes, (as was, and still probably is, not uncommon with live recordings).

point being, he actually did play everything that flawlessly live on Sultans.

Last edited:
"You promised me everything,
you promised me thick and thin
Now you just say, Oh, Romeo, yeah,
you know I used to have a scene with him"

ADVERTISEMENT