ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Still has RU and Indiana as Bubble Teams?- Wachtel Has RU as a Play In Team

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Isn't Indiana done? They even have this: "A loss to the Wolverines would mean an agonizing wait until Selection Sunday for IU."

As for RU: "The bad news is Rutgers is looking at a possible quarterfinal against Iowa."

So, if RU loses to Iowa (assuming it's Iowa), are we out?

Writer is John Gasaway.

But this:

Last edited:
We are in wayyyyy better shape than IU.

IU is very likely out with a loss. With a win they have a chance but likely need to beat Illinois to be safe.

RU is likely in with a close loss to Iowa. A blowout or a loss to Nebby/NW and we should be nervous.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The more I think about it, I'm starting to think there's no way the committee will keep Rutgers out of the tournament.

A team's finish in the standings of a conference is not supposed to be a factor looked at by committee members. However, perception is reality. Rutgers passes the eye test with flying colors. Keeping the fourth-seeded team from one of the country's top conferences out of the tournament would make the committee look silly, particularly if seven or eight teams from the B1G receive bids.

The more I think about it, I'm starting to think there's no way the committee will keep Rutgers out of the tournament.
A team's finish in the standings of a conference is not supposed to be a factor looked at by committee members. However, perception is reality. Rutgers passes the eye test with flying colors. Keeping the fourth-seeded team from one of the country's top conference out of the tournament would make the committee silly, particularly if seven or eight teams from the B1G receive bids.
I know there's more to it than this, but if anyone thinks there are 64 teams right now that are better than Rutgers, they've got a screw loose.

this is why i laugh when people complain about the job pikiell is doing. This is what he is up against. If we wore jersey's that said North Carolina, Michigan, Michigan State, UCLA, Villanova, etc... every bracketologist would have us in the tournament as a lock. Instead it is Big 10 final or bust.

His reasoning for RU in Dayton is the NET. Now the NET only has been around for 3 years but every time a high NET has a good resume the committee put them in Dayton. I am hoping the committee likes RUs good parts of the resume so much that they put RU in the field easily and not in Dayton. But we don’t know what they will do. Either way, I 100% RU is in but it may be in the first 4.

His reasoning for RU in Dayton is the NET. Now the NET only has been around for 3 years but every time a high NET has a good resume the committee put them in Dayton. I am hoping the committee likes RUs good parts of the resume so much that they put RU in the field easily and not in Dayton. But we don’t know what they will do. Either way, I 100% RU is in but it may be in the first 4.
I think Dayton is the penance for the bad losses.

this is why i laugh when people complain about the job pikiell is doing. This is what he is up against. If we wore jersey's that said North Carolina, Michigan, Michigan State, UCLA, Villanova, etc... every bracketologist would have us in the tournament as a lock. Instead it is Big 10 final or bust.

schedule tougher and dont screw up against sisters of the poor

RU does not exist in a vacuum. Just because the RU NET is bad does not mean they are automatically going to Dayton...start looking into the profiles of the last 8 in the field. There is a lot of trash in the ACC

also consider if Michigan loses to Indiana they are going to the first 4 too at just 17-14 if they even make it. There will be a mid majors or two in the first four as well...likely a VCU/Wyoming/SMU/BYU

I'm pretty sure Rutgers could beat Iowa by 20 points in the B1G quarter finals and some "analysts" would still say they're on the bubble.

Seems clear that a lot of people simply can not accept the fact that this is a very good team.

Because, you know, it's just Rutgers, after all. They're supposed to stink every year. It's the natural order of things in their minds. It's too much for their tiny little brains to deal with.

He has RU in Dayton, first 4.
I don't consider the "first 4" or playin teams "in". RU should be in without having to play in.
@Knight Shift ...are you blind, stop posting fake news, bad enough you posted those nonsense tweets about the board
Not fake news. Figured Rutgers would be among the teams in without having to play in.
The tweets about this board are dead on. Some of our so-called "fans" need an enema.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and Dpgru
I'm pretty sure Rutgers could beat Iowa by 20 points in the B1G quarter finals and some "analysts" would still say they're on the bubble.

Seems clear that a lot of people simply can not accept the fact that this is a very good team.

Because, you know, it's just Rutgers, after all. They're supposed to stink every year. It's the natural order of things in their minds. It's too much for their tiny little brains to deal with.
This is just an emotional post- that's completely false. Rutgers beats Iowa and literally everyone will have Rutgers off the bubble. And Rutgers is respected and liked by a bunch of fans, who consider us good. Even when we were stinking it up - people were like "what happened to Rutgers" bc they were surprised of how bad we looked.

This is just an emotional post- that's completely false. Rutgers beats Iowa and literally everyone will have Rutgers off the bubble. And Rutgers is respected and liked by a bunch of fans, who consider us good. Even when we were stinking it up - people were like "what happened to Rutgers" bc they were surprised of how bad we looked.

I thought it was obvious I was exaggerating to make a point. Of course Rutgers would be in if they beat Iowa by 20 ... or by 1, for that matter.

My point is I believe Rutgers athletics, in general, is looked down upon by many in the sports world because of their long history of poor football and basketball teams.

There's a built in negative bias which hurts Rutgers sports teams when it comes to opinion polls and the like.

That bias is obvious when you hear fans of other teams saying "OMG, we lost to RUTGERS!!! What a disgrace! Fire the coach!"

Many would argue it's a big reason this team never got voted into the top 25 even after that amazing run of wins against top 25 teams.

I know there's more to it than this, but if anyone thinks there are 64 teams right now that are better than Rutgers, they've got a screw loose.
I get your point but the tournament doesn’t include the 68 best teams. No one thinks the SWAC champion is better than the first team out.

Reactions: Scangg
And the NET was reconfigured this year so there is no previous basis for the committee using this current formula of NET. We've proven a bit the formula is a joke and they will need to tweak it again. Previous seasons should not matter.

I don't consider the "first 4" or playin teams "in". RU should be in without having to play in.

Not fake news. Figured Rutgers would be among the teams in without having to play in.
The tweets about this board are dead on. Some of our so-called "fans" need an enema.

Yes its in

Pay attention..rutgers is basically one of the last 8 schools in..they are not in above that and thats reality

Zero chance Rutgers isn't in the tournament right now. Finished 4th in the best conference in the country. The B1G would never allow it.
Hope the basketball guys are not the same guys who decide the Player of the Week in football. Not sure they even know Rutgers exists.

Isn't Indiana done? They even have this: "A loss to the Wolverines would mean an agonizing wait until Selection Sunday for IU."

As for RU: "The bad news is Rutgers is looking at a possible quarterfinal against Iowa."

So, if RU loses to Iowa (assuming it's Iowa), are we out?

Writer is John Gasaway.

But this:
His threshold for a lock is no conceivable way the team could be left out, even with a worst case scenario finish. A loss in the quarterfinal, especially if comes to Nebraska or Northwestern, leaves that possibility open even if still unlikely. Thus bubble for now. And with Indiana, 2 or 3 wins in the BTT gets them back in, so still on the bubble until they lose.

RU does not exist in a vacuum. Just because the RU NET is bad does not mean they are automatically going to Dayton...start looking into the profiles of the last 8 in the field. There is a lot of trash in the ACC

also consider if Michigan loses to Indiana they are going to the first 4 too at just 17-14 if they even make it. There will be a mid majors or two in the first four as well...likely a VCU/Wyoming/SMU/BYU
I have been saying that to Rutgers fans for years. RU DOES NOT EXIST IN A VACUUM. THE RUTGERS SCREW IS MORE MENTAL THAN REALITY THESE DAYS.

So we're going with the football SEC argument? Early terrible out of conference losses don't matter. We beat up on our conference so that's all that matters to prove our worth.

Fine with me - but just find it a little funny to see the other side of the argument.

Zero chance Rutgers isn't in the tournament right now. Finished 4th in the best conference in the country. The B1G would never allow it.
Thought the same thing about lacrosse after beating John Hopkins … however, can’t see a 4th place B1G get passed over by 4–5 teams in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT