ADVERTISEMENT

Essence finds a home

I don't follow pro sports at all but it's always nice to hear about our alums are doing. Essence is my all-time favorite RU women's bball player and, off the court, I will never forget her leadership role as a team spokesperson during the unfortunate Imus flap that followed on the heels on the team's run to the NC game. Many people with no connection to Rutgers, including some in other countries, mentioned her to me in complimentary ways in the months following the controversy. I hadn't realized how it was picked up by the global media but even in Yap (look that one up!) someone saw me in a Rutgers t-shirt and asked me "Rutgers...aren't they the school with the women's bball team that was involved in the controversy?"

Reactions: MADHAT1
I don't follow pro sports at all but it's always nice to hear about our alums are doing. Essence is my all-time favorite RU women's bball player and, off the court, I will never forget her leadership role as a team spokesperson during the unfortunate Imus flap that followed on the heels on the team's run to the NC game. Many people with no connection to Rutgers, including some in other countries, mentioned her to me in complimentary ways in the months following the controversy. I hadn't realized how it was picked up by the global media but even in Yap (look that one up!) someone saw me in a Rutgers t-shirt and asked me "Rutgers...aren't they the school with the women's bball team that was involved in the controversy?"
High school classmate of mine was in Peace Corp in Yap in the 70’s

Last edited:
If the WNBA were playing home games with spectators (neither of which is happening), I'd definitely make the trip to SW DC to see her.

I've been to one game in the Mystics' new facility, and it's a nice place to see a game. It kind of reminded me of a better version of the place that GW plays. Also, given the crowd size (capacity is about half the RAC), it was very loud.

High school classmate of mine was in Peace Corp in Yap in the 70’s

It's a very small place - perhaps 7000 people - one of the four states of the now independent Federated States of Micronesia. I liked because I found it to be more committed to preserving its traditions and culture than the other Micronesian places I visited (Palau, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands), all of whom had lost much of their culture after the brutal period of the League of Nations mandate under Japan, and subsequently, the 40 years or so under the USA as the U.N.'s Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. Our convenience-oriented mass consumption culture was just too seductive for such small places to withstand. Guam, of course, was separate from the TTPI as it has been US territory unto itself since the 1898 Spanish-American War.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT