ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Eugene Omoruyi Transferring per Instagram

NJ

Again we don’t know the details....if he left because he felt slighted it doesn’t matter how he looks on the outside. What matters is what is going on the inside.

Again speculation here. Need to know more facts. I said it at the time Yeboah signing was a risk it wasn’t a no brainer. If it caused Eugene to leave, and Eugene ends up being healthy, Pike made a monumental mistake getting Yeboah.
Really bad take. Every program should be trying to get more talent on their roster. The blue bloods are recruiting studs every single year. Is that a mistake? Should they recruit lower prospects as to not make anyone feel threatened? Come onnnn

yes way to throw him under bus...we dont need him because he is hurt...love that particular spin

“Throw him under the bus?”

WTF?

It was a dick move by Eugene.
Who cares what “bus” runs him over.

Why are you defending him?
This move by a captain has bad teammate written all over it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
NJ

Again speculation here. Need to know more facts. I said it at the time Yeboah signing was a risk it wasn’t a no brainer. If it caused Eugene to leave, and Eugene ends up being healthy, Pike made a monumental mistake getting Yeboah.

This is such a terrible take I’m gonna assume it’s not serious lol.

Here's one for you.

Omoruyi in Big Ten losses: 15.2 PPG

Omoruyi in Big Ten wins: 8.6 PPG

His contributions obviously go much deeper than PPG but that's kind of surprising, yeah?

Interesting for sure

“Throw him under the bus?”

WTF?

It was a dick move by Eugene.
Who cares what “bus” runs him over.

Why are you defending him?
This move by a captain has bad teammate written all over it.

um hello...no one is defending Eugene..he made a dick move I agree...my post was to RU66 who was saying Eugenes knee wasnt going to be healthy..well gee I missed thread after thread on this on the board..that WAS NOT the take of the upcoming season that Eugene would not be a major cog in our success

If Eugene was talking about sitting out the year to rehab how exactly would one year of Yeboah being here affect him? Makes no sense.

Just curious as I do not know this stuff. Could Omoruyi of redshirted next year?

Can anyone confirm this?

You have to be correct

Else long time posters and their takes in this thread by FIG and Bac are so beyond stupid it is mind boggling.

I actually agree with BAC in this thread, I think you misunderstood him.

FIG on the other hand is a lost cause sometimes. I don’t know how you can post that much and have some of the takes he has lol.

How does heart and soul show up in the final games, at 60-65% healthy and on one leg.....getting unlimited touches and there's no one else to score or rebound??

C'mon man....find something to latch onto...tell me he's going to drive in traffic and elevate over defenders....he's going to block shots....he's a stationary defender if he's not healthy.....

My "guess" that there's enough to elevate this roster isn't a statement that Yeboah is Peter Kiss....or at least acknowledging that Eugene was compromised and you or anyone else banking on him being anything close to 100% is the largest leap of faith I've seen or read.

You can't be the heart and soul if your injured or have talented players coming through the pipeline with upside.

I would venture to guess or agree that if you told me, Shaq Doorson was a bigger loss or deal on defense....but Shaq was finally healthy and had some good moments, now that he got in very good shape.....Eugene's injuries reduced his impact dramatically.

There are 2 spots open but we are in a position to find a full time longer term solution up front, a JUCO that isn't threatened by players getting shots and improving and find out before jumping off the deep end.

It's late May....explain to me, what was the gameplan if Eugene decided to sit out this year and get healed up....would that matter?? What if he dislocated it a 3rd time in late December.....would be ball up in a circle and cry....???

"Heart and soul" walked out the door in the middle of the night and your still tossing rose petals at his feet and Yeboah might be Peter Kiss.....OK, I got it now....whew....!!

You’re going at BAC for not supporting his case but are relying on the assumption that Eugene wasn’t going to be healthy and the complete unknown of how Yeboah is going to fit in with this team or handle the BIG10.

I’m somewhere in the middle of all of this. Losing Eugene will be a huge loss if healthy, and even if not fully healthy it will be a big loss. Even at 70-80% Eugene played a huge role in this team taking charges, getting boards or playing with his back to the basket making crazy pivots.

Now I think as next season plays out this team does have the potential to gel better and maybe, maybe even be better overall without him.

That’s a big maybe though....and his loss will hurt early in the season during non-conference play which will be crucial to making an NIT or NCAA bubble run.

2 things people dont want to hear

1. This is a big loss
2. Might have been a mistake getting Ye
Disagree on Point 2. How is getting Ye a mistake? We needed frontcourt depth. Could we rely upon Eugene given his knee? Pike knows him and the kid can play......If Eugene was pissed about this, so be it......time to move on with Ye and the others......others hopefully will step up to fill the void such as Myles; Dourcoure; Ye etc.......

Last edited:
Fig don't know how this got on you. This is directed at Ashcatchem. He has posted at least 5 times bashing the kid and thru 5 pages no one knows the reason why he is transferring. I say bash when we know why if reason is bashable. Maybe family member with serious illness this is just as possible as a lot of crsp being posted
I have him on block so I don’t see his posts

Reactions: gregkoko
Really bad take. Every program should be trying to get more talent on their roster. The blue bloods are recruiting studs every single year. Is that a mistake? Should they recruit lower prospects as to not make anyone feel threatened? Come onnnn
4 year player I get it. 1 year guy at your position. Not so sure.

I am playing devil’s advocate. Not a fan of people beating up a kid. Maybe I am being to empathetic here.

Disagree on Point 2. How is getting Ye a mistake? We needed frontcourt depth. Could we rely upon Eugene given his knee? Pike knows him and the kid can play......If Eugene was pissed about this, so be it......time to move on with Ye and the others......others hopefully will step up to fill the void such as Myles; Dourcoure; Ye etc.......

If Eugene is healthy and he left because of it I’d call it a mistake, unless he is real good.

Eugene appears emotional and sensitive. He is/was our best player and only one who I feel couldn’t be replaced. IF HEALTHY

Seriously...anyone saying that Rutgers should not have pursued yeboah is out of their mind ...

Eugene has had two knees injuries that could have been easily been season ending and suppose he hurts himself game one and is out for the year

You think Boeheom, Calhoun, Williams,
Coach k ever stop recruiting

You keep adding and adding players

Period

Because you never know when you will lose someone and be stuck short

I actually agree with BAC in this thread, I think you misunderstood him.

FIG on the other hand is a lost cause sometimes. I don’t know how you can post that much and have some of the takes he has lol.

You do realize the more you disagree with what I say The more right I end up being.

You do realize the more you disagree with what I say The more right I end up being.

Maybe in your own head lol.

I don’t see a single person that has agreed with you. In fact we all vehemently disagree.

Despite anything that happened afterward, you can’t say with a straight face that Pikiell shouldn’t have gone after or landed Yeboah. And if you actually believe that you’re clueless, sorry!

Seriously...anyone saying that Rutgers should not have pursued yeboah is out of their mind ...

Eugene has had two knees injuries that could have been easily been season ending and suppose he hurts himself game one and is out for the year

You think Boeheom, Calhoun, Williams,
Coach k ever stop recruiting

You keep adding and adding players

Period

Because you never know when you will lose someone and be stuck short

I hear what you say, but Eugene is gone.

Maybe in your own head lol.

I don’t see a single person that has agreed with you. In fact we all vehemently disagree.

Despite anything that happened afterward, you can’t say with a straight face that Pikiell shouldn’t have gone after or landed Yeboah. And if you actually believe that you’re clueless, sorry!
No one agreed we’d be better off without Sanders when he left.

Fig don't know how this got on you. This is directed at Ashcatchem. He has posted at least 5 times bashing the kid and thru 5 pages no one knows the reason why he is transferring. I say bash when we know why if reason is bashable. Maybe family member with serious illness this is just as possible as a lot of crsp being posted
Here comes the "holier than though" schtick. Screw this "captain". Couldn't even spell pikiells name correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if he's taking a paycheck from someone.

Yes he could have, 5 years to play 4

Interesting. No more takes on this one. I would have to think he thought Yaboah could take his minutes, checking out G league, or wanting to play some place else.

Oh well. My best to Omoruyi. He was a crowd favorite. I hope he does well going forward.

One assumption many are making is that his game translates to B1G. He did shoot only 32% from 3. As I said when we were pursing him there were pros and cons. Unfortunately I might have hit on a con.

He is here for 1 year.

Reactions: bac2therac
There is no way you can make that statement without seeing how productive Yeboah is first. If he comes in and lights it up, it's Eugene who?

If you feel slighted because a coach did he job and is bringing in talent to a roster that needs it, you aren't what you think you are.

Again speculation......do you still feel that way if Eugene was told bringing in Yeboah meant he’d play some minutes at center?

Again speculation......do you still feel that way if Eugene was told bringing in Yeboah meant he’d play some minutes at center?

Maybe Omoruyi saw that Yeboah was better than him and didn't think he could compete. It's his last year and you aren't exactly fighting for a spot if someone is clearly better. It's not freshman year and you know you can battle it out. Senior year things things can be set in stone.

Even NCAA is becoming a players game at this point. Players want to feel appreciated at all times. Pikiell was not wrong bringing in Yeboah. ,but it may have offended Omoruyi. An insurance policy was certainly needed.

I am glad this bridge is officially burned and there is no turning back. I don’t like calling EO the “heart and soul” of the team. The team has a lot of players who make up the heart and soul. And what kind of heart and soul walks out on the program the way EO did? He’s not a guy I want to root for. I did until today. I don’t wish any ill will on EO. But I am very ready to move on and root for the team we have this year. I think this decision will light a fire under this team and these players. If they have the heart and spirit that i hope they have, they will rally around one another and be driven even more in the next 5 months to be an even better team without EO. And for those who think EO is not replaceable, please chill out. He is.

You’re going at BAC for not supporting his case but are relying on the assumption that Eugene wasn’t going to be healthy and the complete unknown of how Yeboah is going to fit in with this team or handle the BIG10.

I’m somewhere in the middle of all of this. Losing Eugene will be a huge loss if healthy, and even if not fully healthy it will be a big loss. Even at 70-80% Eugene played a huge role in this team taking charges, getting boards or playing with his back to the basket making crazy pivots.

Now I think as next season plays out this team does have the potential to gel better and maybe, maybe even be better overall without him.

That’s a big maybe though....and his loss will hurt early in the season during non-conference play which will be crucial to making an NIT or NCAA bubble run.

There's no downside for this move....Pike made moves ahead of the curve to protect the program and fans are upset.....this didn't fall out of the sky.

Hason Ward was a very late addition to the PF recruiting process, without any visible role. Yeboah wasn't on board yet.

How do we fault the program trying to build to the next level and relying on a player with knee injuries???. Any positive vibes about Eugene being a key cog, was a best case scenario...

Two spots open and I would feel confident in the 11 here on the roster.....doesn't mean we can't try and improve or massage the roster some more.

The moves were ahead, fortunately we landed Yeboah and would've really liked a Ward type of PF that can run, jump and block shots....

Reactions: RUonBrain
There's no downside for this move....Pike made moves ahead of the curve to protect the program and fans are upset.....this didn't fall out of the sky.

Hason Ward was a very late addition to the PF recruiting process, without any visible role. Yeboah wasn't on board yet.

How do we fault the program trying to build to the next level and relying on a player with knee injuries???. Any positive vibes about Eugene being a key cog, was a best case scenario...

Two spots open and I would feel confident in the 11 here on the roster.....doesn't mean we can't try and improve or massage the roster some more.

The moves were ahead, fortunately we landed Yeboah and would've really liked a Ward type of PF that can run, jump and block shots....

1) I’m not faulting Pikiell for anything.

2) This news from Eugene did fall out the sky. Why do you think Pikiell hopped on a plane to Canada today lol.

You’re assuming a lot and severely downplaying the loss of Eugene. We may be fine without him by the middle/end of the season but to dismiss this as a loss or say Yeboah will definitely be better is reckless.

How does heart and soul show up in the final games, at 60-65% healthy and on one leg.....getting unlimited touches and there's no one else to score or rebound??

C'mon man....find something to latch onto...tell me he's going to drive in traffic and elevate over defenders....he's going to block shots....he's a stationary defender if he's not healthy.....

My "guess" that there's enough to elevate this roster isn't a statement that Yeboah is Peter Kiss....or at least acknowledging that Eugene was compromised and you or anyone else banking on him being anything close to 100% is the largest leap of faith I've seen or read.

You can't be the heart and soul if your injured or have talented players coming through the pipeline with upside.

I would venture to guess or agree that if you told me, Shaq Doorson was a bigger loss or deal on defense....but Shaq was finally healthy and had some good moments, now that he got in very good shape.....Eugene's injuries reduced his impact dramatically.

There are 2 spots open but we are in a position to find a full time longer term solution up front, a JUCO that isn't threatened by players getting shots and improving and find out before jumping off the deep end.

It's late May....explain to me, what was the gameplan if Eugene decided to sit out this year and get healed up....would that matter?? What if he dislocated it a 3rd time in late December.....would be ball up in a circle and cry....???

"Heart and soul" walked out the door in the middle of the night and your still tossing rose petals at his feet and Yeboah might be Peter Kiss.....OK, I got it now....whew....!!
Thanks for your posts today. You’ve been killing it

Reactions: RUonBrain
I was trying to come up with why this was upsetting to me beyond the basketball aspect. I think it falls in the Issa Thiam category. If I had to pick the least likely player to do what Issa did I would have chosen him.
Similarly, if I had to pick the least likely player to leave his team to scramble at the end of the recruiting cycle I would have picked Eugene. Obviously I would have been wrong in both instances!

One assumption many are making is that his game translates to B1G. He did shoot only 32% from 3. As I said when we were pursing him there were pros and cons. Unfortunately I might have hit on a con.

He is here for 1 year.

Curious to see how well he's recovered from his knee injury. His numbers went way down after he hurt his knee last season against Quinnipiac and had to leave the game after 3 min. In the 14 games up to his injury, he was 33/85 (.388) from the arc... then he missed the rest of that game and the next before coming back in a brace. He then went 17/76 (.224) over the next 11 games before rounding back a bit for 16/48 over the last 7 (.333). Comments in the Stony Brook game threads during that stretch talked about how he didn't look 100%, was a step slow, didn't have his usual quickness, etc.

He shot .355 as a soph and .341 as a RS freshman.

Rutgers again sees one of its programs top talents leave while seton hall has Powell pull his name from draft and return,probably a sweet 16 team now for Hall.
Moves like this is why its 25 years still no tournament.
@nospin

2 things people dont want to hear

1. This is a big loss
2. Might have been a mistake getting Ye
Lolololol. Going out and getting a player whos better than your undersized injury prone 4 is never a bad move. Smh. Mannnn if yall dont know how to look up game tape JUST ASK ME and ill guide your dinosaur down the right path

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT