ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ***F Mawot Mag to miss rest of season with knee injury***

not a surprise given the nature of the injury and rumblings many of us have heard. The issue for me isn't that we're now going to fall apart...it's that our ceiling just got lowered as i thought our current team had F8/F4 potential but probably not without Mag. Oh well should still be fun to watch and best of luck to Mawot.

1) is he having surgery?

2) didn't someone just come back between the NCAA';s and start playing early this season?

Gotta hope an aggressive timeline or best case is 9 to 10 months. Then a ramp up of a couple more months in conditioning and basketball movements. He's a hard worker like our program looks for. I'm very confident he'll be back and stronger down the road.

Yeah get through non-conference as best we can and hopefully he's back for late Dec 23/early Jan 24

Reactions: RutgersLodi
Hyatt's cap still needs to be 20 mins

That's just not happening (imo). Mag was playing 25 minutes a night in conference games. Have to get those minutes made up somewhere. Hyatt is almost certainly going from 21 (currently) to 26 or 27 minutes a game. Those other 20 minutes that need to be made up are going to be interesting to watch. Maybe Simpson goes from 14 to 20 (ish). Then Oskar/Dean/Wolf will need to make up the balance (14 minutes).

Every team deals with injuries. This one surely hurts. Wish nothing but a speedy recovery for Mawot. Let's go Rutgers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
bad news for Mag and team, but team must overcome his loss and those taking his minutes
do what's needed..

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I am so upset about this, for Mawot and the team. He was literally blossoming as a player right before our eyes, such an improvement year over year and even month over month.

And now done for the year, and puts even next year in jeopardy for him since ACL recoveries vary.

Mother#%^£?!!’er!!

me, looking for a way to give Mag my ACL by game time.

Research Scientist GIF by uwmadison

Tough break for him and the team. Our margin for error has seemed small all year and this reduces it further. I think they need to find a way to go 4-4 over the last 8 games to punch their ticket prior to the conference tournament. They would be 20-11/12-8. That should be good enough.

Don’t understand Simpson time?
He plays a completely different position and subs for our 3 guards?
Same with Miller, you can’t actually be thinking about taking the ball out of Paul’s hands by moving him can you?

He’s probably right. We’re a defense first team with or without Mag. The offense isn’t even top 100. We’ll likely shift to a 4 guard line up fairly often.

Feel so bad for Mawot and all he has endured. His loss will be felt on the court big time. Next man up now - and thus Hyatt / Dean / Wolf / Oskar etc have to take the bull by the horns.

Get better soon. He was really developing recently on the offensive side. His D was always really good

I am so upset about this, for Mawot and the team. He was literally blossoming as a player right before our eyes, such an improvement year over year and even month over month.

And now done for the year, and puts even next year in jeopardy for him since ACL recoveries vary.

Mother#%^£?!!’er!!
He's not missing the season next year. I'd bet a beer on that one.

I only saw a few minutes of your game Saturday, but did catch Mag's injury and didn't like the way it looked. What a shame. He was playing a hell of a game, too.

I hope he's back better than ever next year, and that he's ready to go the day after you play us.

Last edited:
He’s probably right. We’re a defense first team with or without Mag. The offense isn’t even top 100. We’ll likely shift to a 4 guard line up fairly often.
4 guard lineup and we start losing our size advantage and rebounding bc more of a concern. More second chance points.

I like that you pointed to size difference as the reason why this wouldn’t work.
I mean sure, I may have overlooked one or two other minor factors that might make it slightly tricky to get Mag back up and playing by tonight's game by providing him with a replacement ligament.

But size matters! 😃

Reactions: cm_13
Gotta hope an aggressive timeline or best case is 9 to 10 months. Then a ramp up of a couple more months in conditioning and basketball movements. He's a hard worker like our program looks for. I'm very confident he'll be back and stronger down the road.
He will pound the nails …no doubt

Reactions: Loyal-Son
We played entire second half with out Mag, and actually had a better half. Certainly not saying we can maintain that going forward, but it’s encouraging. Hyatt to start, it’s the bench that will suffer.

Geez, in the past he was hampered by terrible and painful teeth issues now this--hope he's able to recover back to full strength. Sadly, I believe he was so important to our success we need to realize winning even 4 more games, if that, will be very difficut.

Sadly true. 10-10 definitely possible now.

Heartbroken for Mawot.
Same here. Mag seems like a very likeable person and player, one who's easy to admire and have respect for. It's awful that this happened now.

I also can't help but be a little concerned that when he returns after surgery and rehab, he might lose some of his pedal to the metal style of play and determination that we know him for, whether it be due to a physical limitiation, or mental due to fear of another injury or post traumatic stress because of the injury, as happens with some players. Prayers and best wishes for the speediest and most successful recovery possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT