ADVERTISEMENT

First NCAA NIL penalty

That totally excuses it then. The NCAA should back off.

That's worse than the punishment they laid on Harbaugh.
Not sure how either program could survive it.
Well Michigan was awarded the #1 seed and went on to win the National Championship. FSU misses the playoffs, cries about it then gets their doors blown off 63-3 in the Orange Bowl.
I guess one team handles adversity better than the other 😂

Well Michigan was awarded the #1 seed and went on to win the National Championship. FSU misses the playoffs, cries about it then gets their doors blown off 63-3 in the Orange Bowl.
Exactly. So glad this NIL was going to even the playing field though. What a disaster this has turned into.

That's what happens you have 13 starters and 29 total guys opt out against arguably the top team in the country

And who's fault was that?
NCAA and playoff committee for devaluing the bowl games & letting NIL get out of control. Sure you can make the argument FSU didn't belong in the playoffs but can you blame the players for not wanting to play in a nothing bowl game? Why risk injury when you are going to the NFL or portal.

That's what happens you have 13 starters and 29 total guys opt out against arguably the top team in the country
I guess they really didn't like their coach or staff after all and decided to get the hell out of dodge.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I don't blame the players

You see your star QB go down with a career threatening injury and consequently get screwed out of the playoffs

What's the upside to playing in essentially a meaningless bowl game vs. risking millions of dollars?
To prove you belonged. Can't cry you missed the playoffs and then blame it on the QB being hurt because that exactly why they weren't chosen. Bad look, terrible game no matter what the excuse. Georgia showed up.

To prove you belonged. Can't cry you missed the playoffs and then blame it on the QB being hurt because that exactly why they weren't chosen. Bad look, terrible game no matter what the excuse. Georgia showed up.
Prove to who?
A bunch of middle-aged men on a message board?

ESPN made a business decision
The guys that opted out made one too

Reactions: RURollShot
NCAA and playoff committee for devaluing the bowl games & letting NIL get out of control. Sure you can make the argument FSU didn't belong in the playoffs but can you blame the players for not wanting to play in a nothing bowl game? Why risk injury when you are going to the NFL or portal.
First of all I agree the NIL is wrecking college sports. However you can't blame the NCAA on this one (not that they do anything good) as they had zero control. This is what's left of the P5 issue. They could have controlled it from the start but they all thought they'd win out with the Wild West that it's become.
The committee didn't devalue the bowls. Kids have been sitting out since the BCS days. More players opt today because it has become more acceptable.

First of all I agree the NIL is wrecking college sports. However you can't blame the NCAA on this one (not that they do anything good) as they had zero control. This is what's left of the P5 issue. They could have controlled it from the start but they all thought they'd win out with the Wild West that it's become.
The committee didn't devalue the bowls. Kids have been sitting out since the BCS days. More players opt today because it has become more acceptable.
More kids opt out because of the portal. That is on the NCAA. It's great for the kids though, sucks for fans.

Reactions: RURollShot
Prove to who?
A bunch of middle-aged men on a message board?

ESPN made a business decision
The guys that opted out made one too
To prove to their teammates and fans they care. And show to the world they were great, instead they quit.
I could care less who opt outs. Just stop making excuses for the disaster of the result and crying about not getting in.

To prove to their teammates and fans they care. And show to the world they were great, instead they quit.
I could care less who opt outs. Just stop making excuses for the disaster of the result and crying about not getting in.
I don't blame anyone not risking 6 or 7 figures to prove to anyone they belonged
Seeing what happened w/Trav, they weren't risking it

No excuses here, UGA worked em
With the amount of guys not playing, Bishop Sycamore would have worked em too

More kids opt out because of the portal. That is on the NCAA. It's great for the kids though, sucks for fans.
More kids are opting out to train for the draft combines. Not an NCAA thing. I'm mixed about the portal in general. Why I favorite it at all is the perfect example from this week. You are a top player who chose to play with the top HC. Well Saban just retired. Don't they deserve to move on?

This board and thread are confusing. Do we hate Michigan or now do we hate FSU more? Do we hate RU or just look for scapegoats to lynch? It gets confusing day to day and thread to thread.

This board and thread are confusing. Do we hate Michigan or now do we hate FSU more? Do we hate RU or just look for scapegoats to lynch? It gets confusing day to day and thread to thread.
My impression is generally most of the board prefers Michigan due to being conference mates and being a historical program, & dislikes FSU due to the nature of the program (more flashy, and lately w/the ACC antics)

Probably doesn't help you've got a guy with a weird screen name (me) that isn't afraid to mix it up w/some of the veteran posters, and on occasion, goes a bit too far

Reactions: superfan01
This is so stupid. It’s legal to give kids money when they come play for you, but it’s against the rules to tell them how much before they make the decision to come. How does that make sense? The NCAA is more absurd than ever.

I'm a Michigan fan because they just won a National Title for the Big Ten. Tired of all the talk, mostly by ESPN that the SEC is the top conference. So Michigan goes and beats the best in the SEC, Alabama, forcing Saban to retire (jk) and goes on to win it all against the soon to be deflated PAC12.
Add in the only big, historical rivalry game left in all of college football is in the Big Ten, Ohio State and Michigan!
The Big Ten rules!!

Last edited:
This is so stupid. It’s legal to give kids money when they come play for you, but it’s against the rules to tell them how much before they make the decision to come. How does that make sense? The NCAA is more absurd than ever.
This whole things stems from the NCAA is caught up in Atkins driving Mims & his parents over to meet with Rising Spear

Funny part is, RS isn't even the top collective as Battles End has supplanted it

Meanwhile, you have a disgruntled former FSU AD who's spearheading the whole situation (the one who insisted hiring a minority coach after Jimbo left), who was about to be fired before he accepted the NCAA position, one who's aptly nicknamed "Waldo" b/c he was never around during his tenure at FSU (lazy), and was terrible at his job,

Instead of worrying about this nonsense, he should be focused on giving Bobby his wins back due to the self reported, online music class scandal. UNC can have fake classes but God forbid a few guys bend the rules for online music - blasphemy I say!!!

Even more ironic is UGA telling on us; this is a program that got no penalty for tragically killing one of their own players during a drunk driving accident after the national championship celebration last year (a NJ resident nonetheless), yet here we are pontificating over an assistant coach providing transportation

Next time I land at TLH, I'll make sure to get an Uber rather than risk additional sanctions

• Wow
Reactions: Eagleton96
Slap on the wrist as expected. The NCAA rewards programs that play the game aggressively on the margins, wish we did.

As I understand it the schools aren't supposed to control the NIL, correct? A donor directly can make any deal he wants to a recruit. GW knew how much he was getting before he committed to Rutgers.

As I understand it the schools aren't supposed to control the NIL, correct? A donor directly can make any deal he wants to a recruit. GW knew how much he was getting before he committed to Rutgers.
Correct, schools are supposed to stay out of it and let the collectives deal w/the athletes on the $ front

Coaches tell the collectives who they want, collective reaches out, and deals get done

Reactions: LeapinLou
My impression is generally most of the board prefers Michigan due to being conference mates and being a historical program, & dislikes FSU due to the nature of the program (more flashy, and lately w/the ACC antics)

Probably doesn't help you've got a guy with a weird screen name (me) that isn't afraid to mix it up w/some of the veteran posters, and on occasion, goes a bit too far
I agree. I prefer Michigan cause conference mates.

Also honestly feel FSU didn't deserve the spot once their qb went down. I find the FSU fanbase crying annoying. They played weak ACC schedule and looked unimpressive once their qb went down.

The playoff committee role was to pick the 4 best teams. And they did.

I agree. I prefer Michigan cause conference mates.

Also honestly feel FSU didn't deserve the spot once their qb went down. I find the FSU fanbase crying annoying. They played weak ACC schedule and looked unimpressive once their qb went down.

The playoff committee role was to pick the 4 best teams. And they did.
The issue was Tate didn't start vs. Louisville due to being in concussion protocol
Brock started and looked like shit
Tate would have started in the playoffs as he'd have already been out of protocol

Reading between the tea leaves though, the writing was already on the wall
Unless Tate put up 600 yards and 7 TD's vs. Ville, they were leaving FSU out (and even then, they're likely out as well)

It was a straight up ratings and business decision; nothing more, nothing less

Even dumber is they had em ranked above UGA and OSU - clearly done in an attempt (and a poor one at that) to placate the fanbase and skeptics

If Rutgers went 13-0 and got left out of the playoffs, people would be going ape shit (and rightfully so)

Hell, we got snubbed from the NCAA last year and people were flipping the F out

Compound that by 10000 and you'd get a nuclear meltdown from any fanbase with a pulse

This whole things stems from the NCAA is caught up in Atkins driving Mims & his parents over to meet with Rising Spear

Funny part is, RS isn't even the top collective as Battles End has supplanted it

Meanwhile, you have a disgruntled former FSU AD who's spearheading the whole situation (the one who insisted hiring a minority coach after Jimbo left), who was about to be fired before he accepted the NCAA position, one who's aptly nicknamed "Waldo" b/c he was never around during his tenure at FSU (lazy), and was terrible at his job,

Instead of worrying about this nonsense, he should be focused on giving Bobby his wins back due to the self reported, online music class scandal. UNC can have fake classes but God forbid a few guys bend the rules for online music - blasphemy I say!!!

Even more ironic is UGA telling on us; this is a program that got no penalty for tragically killing one of their own players during a drunk driving accident after the national championship celebration last year (a NJ resident nonetheless), yet here we are pontificating over an assistant coach providing transportation

Next time I land at TLH, I'll make sure to get an Uber rather than risk additional sanctions
Not to mention this came out yesterday about UGA in the Atlanta Journal.
Attorneys representing a former University of Georgia football recruiting analyst injured in a crash involving alcohol that killed two members of the program say coaches and staffers regularly drove UGA athletic association rental vehicles after drinking.

The attorneys also allege that UGA’s coaches spent cash during unofficial recruiting visits. Such spending by coaches may have violated NCAA rules, according to court papers filed on Thursday.

More kids are opting out to train for the draft combines. Not an NCAA thing. I'm mixed about the portal in general. Why I favorite it at all is the perfect example from this week. You are a top player who chose to play with the top HC. Well Saban just retired. Don't they deserve to move on?
Sorry! I should have been more clear. I meant outside of players opting for the draft, the portal has been a big impact since it takes away star players (ex. Duke QB). And I agree the kids deserve the right to transfer now.

Sorry! I should have been more clear. I meant outside of players opting for the draft, the portal has been a big impact since it takes away star players (ex. Duke QB). And I agree the kids deserve the right to transfer now.
Overall, it’s a good thing, but right now it’s not what it should be due to lack of oversight

Kids are transferring multiple times and leaving massive holes in teams late in the game

Not the intention, or the spirit of the rule

Not to mention this came out yesterday about UGA in the Atlanta Journal.
Attorneys representing a former University of Georgia football recruiting analyst injured in a crash involving alcohol that killed two members of the program say coaches and staffers regularly drove UGA athletic association rental vehicles after drinking.

The attorneys also allege that UGA’s coaches spent cash during unofficial recruiting visits. Such spending by coaches may have violated NCAA rules, according to court papers filed on Thursday.
Let’s see if Waldo pursues this
I’m guessing no, but maybe I’m wrong

I find it interesting that "the crime" here is the coach giving the kid a ride. If the kid and the NIL guy meet without the coach providing the transportation, then offering him $15K/month if he signs with FSU is perfectly fine.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT