ADVERTISEMENT

Former Player Opinion Of Pikiell

SOSHU

Redshirt
Jan 26, 2009
i recently had a great day of fishing on the Navisink River with C.J. Gettys along with my niece who is a good friend of C.J.. We fished on my boat when during a lull in the action, the conversation turned to Steve Pikiell. C.J. Could not have been more complimentary in his comments towards Pikiell. He stressed how Pikiell is a true man of his word and follows through on his promises. I always knew this yet our conversation really reinforced the idea that Steve Pikiell is a coach who the players love playing for and someone whom his players would walk through a wall for.

Good to read, thx for sharing. As know much as I thought we’ve needed a Bannon or Rice type to succeed, someone with an edge and ax to grind, maybe not.

Did he compare/contrast with his former coach at UNCW, who I think must have been Keats, now at NC State?

Good to read, thx for sharing. As know much as I thought we’ve needed a Bannon or Rice type to succeed, someone with an edge and ax to grind, maybe not.

Did he compare/contrast with his former coach at UNCW, who I think must have been Keats, now at NC State?
He did talk about his former coach who is now at NC State. To keep it polite, let me state that C.J. wished that he had a coach like Pikiell for his entire 4 years.

Reactions: kwrightnj
Pike is supported by a great staff, his former coach Jim Calhoun and countless others as well....he understands the game and is a great person, very savvy and able to relate to a lot of different personalities....that is his strength as a coach and recruiter.

In some ways, RU lucked out in landing Pike, not because will have RU winning the fastest vs perhaps another coach or staff...but in the end, I enjoy seeing good people getting rewarded for their efforts and hard work vs some others that get fast-tracked towards their goals.....he has truly earned his coaching stripes at Stony Brook and it's now a tougher haul at RU, but it will get built, slowly and steadily..

In some ways, it makes this rebuild much more of a stable and example on how to do things. There are a few coaches around the region and country that are like Pike as well and in 90% of the cases, their careers tend to be longer than other coaches that perhaps may be a little better scheme-wise or willing to do a little more of "what it takes" on the recruiting trail.

i recently had a great day of fishing on the Navisink River with C.J. Gettys along with my niece who is a good friend of C.J.. We fished on my boat when during a lull in the action, the conversation turned to Steve Pikiell. C.J. Could not have been more complimentary in his comments towards Pikiell. He stressed how Pikiell is a true man of his word and follows through on his promises. I always knew this yet our conversation really reinforced the idea that Steve Pikiell is a coach who the players love playing for and someone whom his players would walk through a wall for.
Thanks for this. One could tell just by Pikiell's actions he's an upstanding person. It's always nice to hear backup support from a former player though.

Yup, yup, yup....Coach P is the real deal

I’ve grew up Rutgers basketball sincs the mid 70s and this is truly the first time since James Bailey and Abdel Anderson’s graduation that I think we can be one of the best programs in the northeast and have some periods where we are truly relevant on the national basketball stage

I used to keep my boat at Anglers Marina in the Shrewsbury. I caught lots of fish in the Navesink and Shrewsbury. Miss fishing Buoy 20 and the Oceanic Bridge and rocky structure where the 2 rivers meet. Gunboat's marina is on the Navesink.

I used to keep my boat at Anglers Marina in the Shrewsbury. I caught lots of fish in the Navesink and Shrewsbury. Miss fishing Buoy 20 and the Oceanic Bridge and rocky structure where the 2 rivers meet. Gunboat's marina is on the Navesink.
It is a great area to fish. The day that C.J. was on the boat, we had a drift that allowed us to fish that rocky area starting our drift right next to the sedge bank in 18 feet of water and drifting across varying depths until we ended the drift in four feet of water. Sometimes this area will out produce better known spots out in the bay.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RU_DIO
dude...what a great post !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: shields
Thanks for relaying that story, it good to hear confirmation of what we all suspect/know about Coach Pike.

Perhaps even better for you is you can tell everyone you have had a 7-footer on your boat!!

Reactions: RUDave_01
He finished up playing in the UK where he was a super popular and well liked player. He is considering his next move which might bring him to Russia/Georgia.

Never have I seen two of the most virulent and truly nasty posters compliment a SHU poster like this. I’m going out on a limb and figuring SOSHU is a Hall guy

I am a Seton Hall guy. However, I have a lot of connections to Rutgers. I am a Rutgers Law Grad and both my daughter and niece graduated from Rutgers this past May.

The rat and fla are two of the most sociopathic posters here. I doubt many RU fans actually like them. Anyway. Good post. Always nice to be civil.

The rat and fla are two of the most sociopathic posters here. I doubt many RU fans actually like them. Anyway. Good post. Always nice to be civil.

Hall, think that all peaked when we were both in the BE, and there seemed to be more invasive sorties. with fans from both schools trying to be as mean spirited as possible and chortling about getting banned. You know some of the infamous SHU posters that did that as well as we do--Little Red School House and all that. Does the name, Chicken Patty, ring a bell? Have followed SHU since the days of Richie Reagan and Walter Dukes, when I was a kid, and one of my closest friends at work was a SHU grad--we would go round and round. These days. there is still an us against them mentality, but not nearly what it was only a few years ago. Never be a "friendly" rivalry, but hopefully, not a hostile one.
TL

Whatever happened to that psycho Nova poster that worked at his daddy's law firm but spent all day on the internet?

Last edited:
Whatever happened to that psycho SHU poster that worked at his daddy's law firm but spent all day on the internet?

Wow! That’s a blast from the past. Lol

That was a weird dude.

Hall, think that all peaked when we were both in the BE, and there seemed to be more invasive sorties. with fans from both schools trying to be as mean spirited as possible and chortling about getting banned. You know some of the infamous SHU posters that did that as well as we do--Little Red School House and all that. Does the name, Chicken Patty, ring a bell? Have followed SHU since the days of Richie Reagan and Walter Dukes, when I was a kid, and one of my closest friends at work was a SHU grad--we would go round and round. These days. there is still an us against them mentality, but not nearly what it was only a few years ago. Never be a "friendly" rivalry, but hopefully, not a hostile one.
TL
Friends with his kids. And my kids are friends with his grandkids.

Whatever happened to that psycho Nova poster that worked at his daddy's law firm but spent all day on the internet?

That was NOVABBALL2, who still posts on the Nova board. He would post incendiary comments on multiple boards--St Joes, RU and a few others were his pet targets. Would send 5 or 6 dozen posts on a slow day--and didn't work at his father's firm. Dad got him a job with a friend. His most infamous moment came when using another alias, he posted on the Army board that Eric LeGrand had been injured making an illegal tackle. Should have been banned for life, at least, maybe longer.
TL

That was NOVABBALL2, who still posts on the Nova board. He would post incendiary comments on multiple boards--St Joes, RU and a few others were his pet targets. Would send 5 or 6 dozen posts on a slow day--and didn't work at his father's firm. Dad got him a job with a friend. His most infamous moment came when using another alias, he posted on the Army board that Eric LeGrand had been injured making an illegal tackle. Should have been banned for life, at least, maybe longer.
TL

Oh, that’s right. Used to post under “ncaaball2” I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT