ADVERTISEMENT

Francesca retiring... Again

Greatest ever, but time moves on for all.
Hardly. His ego got the best of him, whether it was with Dog or his arrogance and nastiness with callers. He desperately wanted to be a media icon, but his Radio.com was a complete bust and he never got the big TV or sports exec gig he craved. At the end of the day, if you weren’t a Yankee, Giant or horse racing fan, he was tough to listen to.

Francesa slowly declined over the years. Mad Dog has only gotten better since having his own station on Sirius. I've enjoyed listening to him solo more than I ever enjoyed them together.

Reactions: hankee18 and czxqa
NYC radio in general has been dying a slow death (English radio anyway). Younger listeners stream stuff (and they probably didn't play Little League). Now WFANduel sounds totally absorbed by gambling ads and point spreads.

Mike was always a good listen but the last few years he was overdoing the venom. He dedicated last football season to getting the NYG coach and GM fired. Mike thinks he's part of the Yankees and Giants, and wants to throw his weight around. Add to that, Joe B trying to get coaches and GMs fired, Maggie's justice rants, Somers' snoozgasms, Geo yelling all the time etc and the station is barely worth listening to. I like Boomer in season.

Last edited:
Hardly. His ego got the best of him, whether it was with Dog or his arrogance and nastiness with callers. He desperately wanted to be a media icon, but his Radio.com was a complete bust and he never got the big TV or sports exec gig he craved. At the end of the day, if you weren’t a Yankee, Giant or horse racing fan, he was tough to listen to.

And scratch the Giants after Parcells left.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
So, I don’t have to hear a man who made his living talking, say “idear” one more f-ing time

Reactions: RUnTeX
Greatest ever, but time moves on for all.
In his mind he is the greatest ever. He and Mad Dogg had a very good and long run together. Not the same since they split. He got waaaaaay to big for his ego.

Arrogant yes. .He was on the money a lot though . How quickly we forget he was the first one that blasted the Big East for the way we got jobbed in that Big East tournament. He had rice and pernetti on the very next day . And he kept at it for a couple days when ESPN ignored it.

He's retiring because he's mad WFAN management wouldn't get him some headphones that fit.

giphy.gif

He’s still better then the majority of radio people out there. To many people here are hurt that he’s brutally honest about Rutgers.

Has no clue about RU, probably doesn't know how much Big Ten pays us.

A bit too much hate for Mike. I think the biggest mistake was breaking up Mike and the Mad dog. Classic example of sum greater than its parts. They complimented each other so well. It was great radio. He was a fun listen solo for a few years but do think his ego became worse and worse.

I just hated that except for the Big East tourney and Gary Danielson and the SEC promotion or the occasional scandal, they never gave college sports its due. They liked Doug Graber.

I often chuckled when someone called and tried to talk about soccer and Mike would cut him off in about two seconds. "I'm not talking about soccer, nobody cares" I wonder if he realized when he talked about horse racing nobody cared. The second the horse racing came on, i went straight to music.

Reactions: Section124
He’s still better then the majority of radio people out there. To many people here are hurt that he’s brutally honest about Rutgers.
I’ll stick to my post. He was good with Mad Dog but ego got way to big when he went solo. Zero to do with his thoughts on Rutgers

Last edited:
I wasn't a big fan of his but at least he took phone calls. The Michael K show is basically the 3 of them talking about god knows what and I personally don't really care. I'd rather listen to people call in and argue then the other 3 ramble. The rest of the WFAN is just a Mets love fest with 80% Mets and 20% everything else, at least for the last 3 weeks it has been, so I pretty much stopped listening to them and just stick to music radio.

Reactions: Section124
i Get that, but i bet 3 years ago if you asked him who Janarion Grant was he would have no clue.

I wasn't a big fan of his but at least he took phone calls. The Michael K show is basically the 3 of them talking about god knows what and I personally don't really care. I'd rather listen to people call in and argue then the other 3 ramble. The rest of the WFAN is just a Mets love fest with 80% Mets and 20% everything else, at least for the last 3 weeks it has been, so I pretty much stopped listening to them and just stick to music radio.

Ironic that the flagship station of the NY Yankees will now have zero Yankee fans as hosts. In fact, the flagship station of the NY Giants is in the same position. And the commentary of the best know host is basically:

"Bro, bro, bro, Mets, Mets, Mets. Bro, bro, bro Jets, Jets, Jets."

Ironic that the flagship station of the NY Yankees will now have zero Yankee fans as hosts. In fact, the flagship station of the NY Giants is in the same position. And the commentary of the best know host is basically:

"Bro, bro, bro, Mets, Mets, Mets. Bro, bro, bro Jets, Jets, Jets."
Aww, don't fret Yankees fans. I'm sure WFANduel will figure out a way to put the microphone in front of Sweeney Murti even more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT