ADVERTISEMENT

Free throw %’s. We actually have some really good free throw shooters

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Caleb hitting freebees at an 87% clip, Geo at 91%, Shaq Carter 83% and Yeboah at 72% (which I expect to go up).

at one point last night we were 9-19 from the line, then pike went to our “closers” at the end and we finished up 17-28 from the line finishing 8-9 from the line. Whats amazing is that other than shaq carter, 3 of our 4 best players are our best foul shooters. The team % looks so low because we have guys like myles and jacob getting to the line alot. But in crunch time when you HAVE TO hit foul shots to finish games the ball is often in geo, caleb and yeboahs hands. My thought it when we have TO’s available we should start going offense defense to end games with Shaq and Myles swapping back and forth respectively.

Caleb hitting freebees at an 87% clip, Geo at 91%, Shaq Carter 83% and Yeboah at 72% (which I expect to go up).

at one point last night we were 9-19 from the line, then pike went to our “closers” at the end and we finished up 17-28 from the line finishing 8-9 from the line. Whats amazing is that other than shaq carter, 3 of our 4 best players are our best foul shooters. The team % looks so low because we have guys like myles and jacob getting to the line alot. But in crunch time when you HAVE TO hit foul shots to finish games the ball is often in geo, caleb and yeboahs hands. My thought it when we have TO’s available we should start going offense defense to end games with Shaq and Myles swapping back and forth respectively.
Myles and Mathis... Young too at this point simply cannot be on the court at the end of the game in a must foul situation. When you add in the pressure I would say they are more likely to miss than make which is really really bad

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Myles and Mathis... Young too at this point simply cannot be on the court at the end of the game in a must foul situation. When you add in the pressure I would say they are more likely to miss than make which is really really bad

The problem is we need Myles on the floor to grab important rebounds in those spots.

Reactions: Scangg
The FT item is the most overrated thing in CBB....it comes down to turnovers, 3 point shooting and how well teams can defend/rebound.

I think Harper hit a rough patch of FT shooting and he's not a sub 60% shooter...Young might be a 60 to 70% guy....Mathis shot has better rotation now vs last year and I would sign up for his 67% FT shooting.

Reactions: kcg88
The problem is we need Myles on the floor to grab important rebounds in those spots.
It is a problem. Might need to call a TO and sub after a big rebound. Does Doucoure get called upon instead? Not sure how much more reliable Doucoure is at the line. Looks like 60% as a freshman

The FT item is the most overrated thing in CBB....it comes down to turnovers, 3 point shooting and how well teams can defend/rebound.

This is ponderous, kind of like your opinion that it doesn't matter who plays QB in football, though not as bad as that one.

Sure, 3-pt shooting, defending, rebounding are hugely important. But FTs are no less important. We have literally lost multiple games in the past because of poor foul shooting.

Just this year we WON the Drexel game by shooting 20-25 FTs in a 5-point win; what happens if we go 14-25?. And in the St. Bonnies game, we only went 19-30 at the foul line in a 6-point loss. Admittedly, there were many other reasons we lost that game, but it certainly would have been a different game if we went 25-30. Not to mention losing points from missing the front end of 1-and-1s.

This is ponderous, kind of like your opinion that it doesn't matter who plays QB in football, though not as bad as that one.

Sure, 3-pt shooting, defending, rebounding are hugely important. But FTs are no less important. We have literally lost multiple games in the past because of poor foul shooting.

Just this year we WON the Drexel game by shooting 20-25 FTs in a 5-point win; what happens if we go 14-25?. And in the St. Bonnies game, we only went 19-30 at the foul line in a 6-point loss. Admittedly, there were many other reasons we lost that game, but it certainly would have been a different game if we went 25-30. Not to mention losing points from missing the front end of 1-and-1s.
QBs don't matter... now FTs don't matter... :Poop:flush:

Reactions: RUonBrain
Young shot 72 percent from the line at Texas. I expect his percentage to rise as the season progresses.

On a handful of attempts. If he'd made just one more FT in each of his first two seasons, he'd have been a 78% shooter, and if he'd missed just one more FT in each of his first two seasons he'd have been a 67% shooter.

He's had more FTs through 5 games this year than his entire freshman year, and is 3 short of his entire sophomore year. He's a career .673 shooter right now on just 58 attempts across 68 games.

He could be anywhere from a 65-80% shooter at this point. At 3.8 FTA per game, he'll have about 30-31 more attempts before January and the B1G restart, and we'll have a bit better idea of what to really expect.

I think Harper hit a rough patch of FT shooting and he's not a sub 60% shooter...Young might be a 60 to 70% guy....Mathis shot has better rotation now vs last year and I would sign up for his 67% FT shooting.

totally disagree, its a huge factor because its POINTS OR NO POINTS, the other things all matter too because come on this is such a bad take...free points matter

Reactions: GORU2014
totally disagree, its a huge factor because its POINTS OR NO POINTS, the other things all matter too because come on this is such a bad take...free points matter

But QB doesn’t matter.

Johnny can run, but who cares if he is not a good passer (or so someone thinks).

Surprised to see Baker with such a bad 3 pt percentage.

Still handling the ball too much, and taking too many shots.

Usually there is some type of correlation between free throw percentage and 3 pt percentage. Good form translates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT