ADVERTISEMENT

FT Shooting around CBB

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
I don't know if it's AAU centric, not a focus on in recruiting or just a lack of form, but checked to see where teams are so far....mostly B1G schools with a couple of others mixed in.

I honestly don't believe it's a big deal as much as it's when the FT attempts happen......not necessarily just in the final minutes, but front end of 1 and 1s etc.

Michigan State 13-18
Wisconsin 14-20
Seton Hall 22-32
Indiana 17-25
Maryland 16-24
Illinois 19-29
Ohio State 19-29
Purdue 11-17
Michigan 12-19
Duke 14-23
Penn State 14-24
Yale 11-19
Rutgers 18-32
Nebraska 9-19

I know this never matters because everything is in a vacuum and it's RU that doesn't make it's FTs.....but we are either overreacting or these stats are going to be pretty close for all of these teams.

What actually matters is can you find or get the ball into your preferred FT shooters hands??

Yes, a FT in the 1st half, counts the same as a FT in the 2nd half, but within the mix of the final 3 minutes of a game, Michigan State is going to ensure the ball finds Cassius Winston, Seton Hall is going to get the ball to Myles Powell and in RUs case, Geo Baker is the player we want shooting FTs late.

Eventually the ball finds the other players hands and it does impact the game, but it impacts everyone else, not just RU. Just figured that these stats are in the mid 60s to low 60s for most programs.

Reactions: BillyC80
I don't know if it's AAU centric, not a focus on in recruiting or just a lack of form, but checked to see where teams are so far....mostly B1G schools with a couple of others mixed in.

I honestly don't believe it's a big deal as much as it's when the FT attempts happen......not necessarily just in the final minutes, but front end of 1 and 1s etc.

Michigan State 13-18
Wisconsin 14-20
Seton Hall 22-32
Indiana 17-25
Maryland 16-24
Illinois 19-29
Ohio State 19-29
Purdue 11-17
Michigan 12-19
Duke 14-23
Penn State 14-24
Yale 11-19
Rutgers 18-32
Nebraska 9-19

I know this never matters because everything is in a vacuum and it's RU that doesn't make it's FTs.....but we are either overreacting or these stats are going to be pretty close for all of these teams.

What actually matters is can you find or get the ball into your preferred FT shooters hands??

Yes, a FT in the 1st half, counts the same as a FT in the 2nd half, but within the mix of the final 3 minutes of a game, Michigan State is going to ensure the ball finds Cassius Winston, Seton Hall is going to get the ball to Myles Powell and in RUs case, Geo Baker is the player we want shooting FTs late.

Eventually the ball finds the other players hands and it does impact the game, but it impacts everyone else, not just RU. Just figured that these stats are in the mid 60s to low 60s for most programs.

True, but by the same token, if RU shot the same FT percentage (72%) as MSU last night they have at least 5 more points from the line (not counting missing the front end of one-and-ones). That alone would have negated the unflattering dramatic ending.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
True, but by the same token, if RU shot the same FT percentage (72%) as MSU last night they have at least 5 more points from the line (not counting missing the front end of one-and-ones). That alone would have negated the unflattering dramatic ending.

It's one game, but I read a couple of other message boards and there's a similar sentiment among fans that view this as a huge item.

It's one game, but I read a couple of other message boards and there's a similar sentiment among fans that view this as a huge item.
I think it is pretty significant. As you know a missed free throw possibly prevents setting up a press, causes an over the back foul, creates a fastbreak opportunity for the other team, adds pressure on the shooter next time he takes a FT, gives the opposing team an option to feel free to foul poor shooters instead of giving up an easy shot, gives the team a negative mindset, frustrates the coach, and obviously can lose the game by not scoring FTs at a 65-75% rate.

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT