ADVERTISEMENT

Game 11: Women's Hoops at Purdue

Anyone watching? The picture quality is terrible. Rutgers up 18-15 at the half. Our good friend Brian Enterline is one of the officials.

ESPN says 52-43 Arena scoreboard says 52-44. Not sure which is right but we are up going into the 4th quarter.

Arella with 21 Diamond with 14. We turned up the D in the 3rd but had a little trouble shooting at the end of the quarter.

RU wins 75-57.

Arella with 30 (11-18 FG), 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks (she was...overdue for this type of game)
Diamond with 19 (7-14FG), 9 rebounds, 6 assists (she continues to amaze as a freshman)
Mack with 12, 4 rebounds, 2 assists

Overall, team shot 52% from the field, 45% from 3, and 83% from FT line; 16 assists to 13 turnovers.

After a back and forth first half, where RU was up by only 3 because of Purdue's lights out 3-pt shooting and RU's 7 tos, the team came out with fire in their bellies in the 3rd quarter, flummoxing Purdue with the pressure and starting the quarter on a 13-0 run. Unfortunately, Purdue outscored RU 13-5 the rest of the quarter, and RU was only up 8 headed into the fourth. Purdue got it to within 6 with less than 5min to go (60-54); but then RU finished the game on a 15-3 run, starting with a huge offensive rebound and put-back from Gilles, then a sports center worthy and-one from Johnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletteK80
That is a very nice win - 18 points on the road against a very respectable program with a great tradition. Three double digit wins in a row, 2 of them on the road. The women don't seem to have any cobwebs that needed to be shaken off. Has anyone else come back after such a long hiatus with such a vengeance?

Has RU ever won over Purdue at Mackey before? I vaguely recall RU being sent there for the opening two rounds of the NCAA tournament, on one of the many occasions that RU was sent to an arena where it would be playing a road game if it won in the first round.

Thanks.

Reactions: Esipos1
In the post game presser Arella said she loves playing in that Purdue Arena, and their Nike basketball is her favorite for shooting.

Coach Stringer said Theresa Grentz was at a recent practice, and if I heard correctly, they will soon be using a throwback uniform from when Grentz's team won the AIWA championship in 1981-82. By coincidence that same year Stringer took Cheney St to the NCAA finals, where they lost.

Reactions: KevH and rutgersron
Playing well! Good to see! Called this on TOS after watching Mich v PU and RU v NW!

For awhile I thought I was mispronouncing her name. They got it right near the end of the game.
If she was hitting her threes you could call her anything. 0 for 6. She should stay at 10 -12 feet. That's her range.

I think there's a few reasons we're not seeing more from the bench:

1. With Zippy injured, Diamond is a starter, and she was getting significant minutes off the bench before that.
2. The starters are all playing really well, even when they are not shooting well (Arella vs Nebraska and NW; Mael today)
3. While the team won the last 3 games each by double digits, they've all been single digit games at some point in the fourth quarter (today's 18pt win was a 6pt margin with less than 5min to go). So not as much blow out time to give younger players more of a shot.
4. KNOCKING ON ALL THE WOOD--for the most part, minus Singleton, the starters haven't been in foul trouble, so CVS hasn't had to make many subs based on limiting fouls.
5. With all the games RU missed, we need to be playing well right now and all the time.

Reactions: MADHAT1

1. With Zippy injured, Diamond is a starter, and she was getting significant minutes off the bench before that.
2. The starters are all playing really well, even when they are not shooting well (Arella vs Nebraska and NW; Mael today)
3. While the team won the last 3 games each by double digits, they've all been single digit games at some point in the fourth quarter (today's 18pt win was a 6pt margin with less than 5min to go). So not as much blow out time to give younger players more of a shot.
4. KNOCKING ON ALL THE WOOD--for the most part, minus Singleton, the starters haven't been in foul trouble, so CVS hasn't had to make many subs based on limiting fouls.
5. With all the games RU missed, we need to be playing well right now and all the time.
Agreed,just wish Singletary had better footwork. She gets called for walking at least 4 times a game if not more.

I know they had a month off but are you a little worried that playing the starters so much will wear them out or if they happen to get in foul trouble the subs will not be ready?
that’s my only concern

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Finally got to watch the game. This team is as smooth as silk. My main concern is why are there only 4 players having played 40 minutes in the last few games.
OK, we know Zippy is hurt/still has boot on. But how come the rest of the team has seen little or no time? Chyna Cornwell, Liz Martino, Destiny Marshall, Erica Lafayette ,Stephani Guihon, and a few others.?

I know they had a month off but are you a little worried that playing the starters so much will wear them out or if they happen to get in foul trouble the subs will not be ready?
that’s my only concern

I am not concerned they will get worn out; they seem to be in superb shape. I'm a bit concerned our bench won't be ready, but hopefully they will get a chance to play in the upcoming games.

Reactions: richthedentist
CVS never really develops a deep bench. Always thought her teams would be stronger if 8 were double digit minutes regularly. She wins so it may not be an issue for her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT