ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 16 Maryland: Rollercoaster!

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
The Rollcoaster that being fans puts us on. They are bums one minute, heroes the next. We will be stick to our stomachs one half and dancing in our underwear the next. This is what we signed up for. The twists and turns, the up and downs and sideways. We know its not good for our hearts but yet we keep coming back for more. When it delivers the high like it did today, its all worth it.

A tale of two halves. Wow. What a reversal. Yes the first half was about as a horrendous performance as you are going to see vs a team that is not good. I lost track of how many turnovers they had in the first half....was it 11? and Maryland scored 18 points at least off of turnovers. Paul Mulcahy alone had 5. Geo was an absolute ghost. RU was fouling constantly chasing MD giving them over a dozen points at the line. Little team ball, lots of jumpers. Lots of bad body language. Some inexplicably bad coaching and rota-8 froions by Pikiell that seemed to derail any momentum. Yes it was as bad as described in the game thrd. Coming off the listless performance at Penn State, this was a disgraceful effort basically around and the team seemed to be mailing it in by the end of halftime as adversity hit. Lets not revise history folks, the season was really truly was on the brink. Personally I stand by all what I posted about the team for that ridiculously bad first half. I own it. I also will vociferously praise the 2nd half.

The knock on this team over the past few years has centered on road issues, energy and lack of leadership. Well if the first half was complete trash, the 2nd half was a complete masterpiece. Arguably the best half of basketball that Rutgers has played all season long. A focused comeback that never wavered. An intensity that just grew and grew until they simply overwhelmed the Terrapins. Not only did RU win but they won going away and if the game was another 5 minutes they would have won by 20 plus. To a man, this was a complete team and coaching staff effort. I have no idea what the halftime speech was but it easily more inspirational than what us yahoos on the board were posting. To me the way that game was won with its focus, leadership and teamwork could have made it the most impressive performance I have seen by Rutgers this season including the win over Purdue.

Lets start with Paul Mulcahy. Liability in the first half....5 turnovers mostly careless. Seemed very overmatched against qucker Maryland guards. Paul went liability to catalyst. Right from the get go, yes he was rejected on his first drive to the hoop but converted on the next and then he was all over the floor in the next 5-6 minutes. Paul would be everywhere. Over a 4 minutes span, Paul hauled down 4 boards, scored 6 straight points, a corner 3 and then a traditional 3 point play and had a nice assist for a Reiber layup. RU cut the defecit from 11 to just 3 at 42-39 and RU was back in the game and then it was time for his teammates to takeover.

The knock on Geo has been his inconsistent play, the tendency to disappear, and not giving the leadership that you always want from a 5th year senior. Geo did not shoot the ball overall but he came through in the last 10 minutes. Geo did come out with a basket early in the 2nd half and a block on a Fats 3. I also noticed that Pike removed Geo for Jalen pretty early in that 2nd half, I liked that move from Pike, I thought Geo might have been falling into trying to do too much. It was an interesting move that I did note in the game thread. By the time we got midway through the 2nd half, Geo stepped up, hitting on a jumper and then a sweet pass that we have seen before to Ron for a 3 that put RU up 49-45. Geo doing the things needed to win without having to be the scorer.

And how about Ron, Paul started everything and got us close but this game was screaming for Ron to takeover and that he did. Tremendous leadership in the last 10 minutes. Ron delivered those back to back 3s that put RU up 49-45 and then after a 4 minute stretch where RU went scoreless losing the lead, Ron hit two more 3s. He was feeling it but he wasnt done, another 3 put RU up 65-57 with about 75 seconds left and probably sealed the deal. Down the stretch Ron was money at the free throw line nailing his one and ones. Ron was responsible for an amazing 20 of Rutgers last 26 points. That is just a sick stretch of basketball and Ron was playing good D as well. Ron a man unleashed tonight. Thats what leaders do, shake off the bad and step up. 31 points in 37 minutes, 10-16 shooting, 6-8 from 3, 5-6 from the line and 4 boards.

And back to Geo, I thought he did a nice job on Fats and when Fats left on the ground after a blocked 3. RU was down 6 and went on a 10-0 run after that. Little plays like that. Geo had 3 blocks and 7 assists. I thought another key Geo play late was when RU was up 57-55, Geo missed the open 3, got his own rebound and then dished to the win to Paul for an open 3 that swished and put RU up 60-55, it gave RU some breathing room with 2 minutes left and the Geo would also assist Ron on the following 3. This was a heady Geo today, Couldnt knock down the 3 but helped in so many other ways.

Now back to Paul.....Man that 3 he hit with 2 minutes left was the one where I thought, I think we are going to win this one now. Clutch shot made with confidence and again you cannot say enough about how he came back from that first half horror show and asserted himself. Might have been his best half ever. 15 points, 6-8 shooting, 2-2 from 3, 6 boards, 3 assists...yeah 7 TOs were basically all made up for in the end.

Now lets get to Caleb....a quiet game, his game was about defending today. Took only 3 shots, one a 3 that was basically down and swirled out but I want people to know he hit an absolutely huge shot, a beautiful floater that put RU up 62-57. His only shot of the game...clutch. Players making plays and teamwork. 34 minutes and 7 boards. Every starter would contribute something down the stretch. Big Cliff didnt get enough touches, just 4 shots, made 3. only 6 points but 10 boards. His defense and rebounding was key during the RU push to take the lead but more importantly Cliff stayed out of foul trouble in the 2nd half. I think first half RU just didnt make an effort to relax and get it to Cliff.

Hyatt has a quick 6 points in the first half but then basically did nothing after that in 8 minutes. Reiber looked solid in his time out there spelling Cliff. Mag and Miller got a few minutes that were needed but generally non factors

This game to me was Pike riding the starters. He had to. Maybe it was a challenge at halftime. They got RU into the mess and they were going to get RU out of the mess. As bad as Pike was in the first half with the rotations, there was not much tinkering in the 2nd. Pike was rolling the dice with his main 5 and thats the way it needed to be. Listen I was hard as any on Pike in that first half, how could a team come out that flat and then look to be in disarray through much of the half. They truly looked lost and to me this team simply was not competing and that would make 3 halves in a row including Penn State. This team is mindboggling to figure out. A true Jekyll and Hyde, you see when they are playing as a team and in sync how good they can be. You see like in the first half they look like they have never played together before. I think this is why the Big 10 analysts are tough on RU. They know that guys like Harper and Baker can play better and more consistent so they are perplexed at why some games they seem AWOL. Only Pike and the players know their mindset. Frustrating for us as fans so wild swing from game to game and within the game. RU outscored Maryland 43-21 in a complete dominant half. We can only be happy as fans, something clicked in.

The road monkey is off the shoulders. This was a game they HAD to have. How they did it was impressive because it got back to what the success under Pikiell has all been about it. Lunch pail, defensive effort and teamwork...for some reason that was missing early on and we lost it again at Penn State and the first half of this game. Trying to predict this team can be a real challenge right now. We can be happy we live to see another day, survive and advance and another opportunity awaits vs Iowa.

Night and day difference between this game and the last game when it comes to having an offensive plan. There was awareness and effort to get the ball to Ron on the post, on the wing, on the 3-point line.

Night and day difference between this game and the last game when it comes to having an offensive plan. There was awareness and effort to get the ball to Ron on the post, on the wing, on the 3-point line.

even in this game itself, in the first half when we were not turning it over, there seemed to be alot of one on one ball and too much dribbling around, no one had any confidence in their shots, 2nd half we were running our offense off of pretty good defense, we got stops and we were attacking more and making them pay. Our defense really is the key to getting our offense going.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Nice job BAC. I agree with your assessment. Especially in the next to last paragraph where you point out the inconsistency. For years, when we were an Eddie Jordan doormat, we didn’t expect much and were happy in the rare game in which we would be competitive or actually win. But this team is so different. Pike said it was his best team. When they play to their ability, I believe it is. But then they play the way they did at PSU and in the first half today and as a fan or simple spectator you are baffled. There will be a prediction thread for the Iowa game. How do you predict what this group will do. Would any one be surprised if, at the ten minute mark of the first half, we are down by double digits? Or up by double digits? If they play to their ability as a team they can beat anyone, anywhere. now, no one plays their best every time out in any sport. But this team seems to have two speeds, best and worst. Today, we got both. Let’s hope we play our A game on Wednesday.

This is a veteran team and its coming off of two NCAA appearances. Some may say we are being too hard on this team but I do not. This is a team that boasted of unfinished business. They have a few playmakers who have had superlative games at times. That is why the wild swings in consistent energy levels continues to baffle the fans and some analysts. Everyone knows they are capable...see Purdue, see 2nd half today, see throttling of Michigan. It would be unfortunate to see this team lose out because they didnt play up to their potential. I didnt think Penn State played well at all, that was a missed opportunity. Maryland didnt play well today, we were headed for a loss until this team decided it wanted to win. Thats a good thing to see that this team even with his faults are still hungry

Great review per usual. Hyatt kept us in the game in the first half with a couple of big buckets. Then I thought he tried or forced just a bit too much.

Fouls and Foul shooting discrepancy was just as responsible for half time deficit as were turnovers. 13 for 15 vrs 0-1. That was a joke. Elbowing face and no call? Bad Officiating is a factor that we managed to overcome. Pike as many have said, has to stop being so nice and be more demonstrative against bad calls… or lack of calls.

Mulcahy and Harper might have both had the best second halves of their careers today. Certainly best on the road.

Geo struggled shooting again. I think the step back is just a little too far back and baseline isn’t as good as top of the key. Great assists though.

Caleb great D. Cliff quietly nice game even if he didn’t score. If he catches the ball a bit better he gets a dozen points. Reiber really seems like he is getting better as backup.

Harper bank shot most important shot of the year? (After Purdue).

Don’t know what Pike said half time but use it again.

Think game saved season. If we lose, don’t know if we recover. A good day. Like the Nebraska game and this 2nd half, it is frightening how well we can play.

Let this game be the end of anyone besides Geo Baker initiating the offense when he's in the game. Our offense struggles mightily when Caleb or Paul is the primary guy. Baker is not very effective off the ball, and Mulcahy as a second-option creator (or shooter) or Caleb as a cutter are their best fits. Baker has the best vision and passing ability of the three. Is he a perfect PG? No, but the offense runs best with him in charge. He couldn't hit anything today but came through with 7 assists and 1 turnover. The game completely changed when he was put on the ball and Mulcahy could affect the game from a more comfortable role.

Let this game be the end of anyone besides Geo Baker initiating the offense when he's in the game. Our offense struggles mightily when Caleb or Paul is the primary guy. Baker is not very effective off the ball, and Mulcahy as a second-option creator (or shooter) or Caleb as a cutter are their best fits. Baker has the best vision and passing ability of the three. Is he a perfect PG? No, but the offense runs best with him in charge. He couldn't hit anything today but came through with 7 assists and 1 turnover. The game completely changed when he was put on the ball and Mulcahy could affect the game from a more comfortable role.

this

but how come its taking Pike time to figure this out

Reactions: RU2131 and kcg88
Tale of 2 halfs for sure. Kudos to Harp who was sensational and great comeback 2nd halves for Paul and Geo

Potentially season saving win. Now need to back it up with wins against Iowa and Minnesota.

Reactions: shields
Meanwhile, 6 more wins and we guarantee a third straight winning season --- something
that hasn't happened since 1992. And RHJ certainly raising his NBA stock with
games like today's. Lots to be thankful for

Great recap as usual. Just want to mention again a play you pointed out. One that we have seen many times. Geo brings the ball up quickly, reaches the top of the key, turns around and passes to Ron who knocks down a 3. Seems like Geo has eyes on the back of his head. A beautiful assist and score. Now let’s impress for 40 minutes on Wednesday.

The Rollcoaster that being fans puts us on. They are bums one minute, heroes the next. We will be stick to our stomachs one half and dancing in our underwear the next. This is what we signed up for. The twists and turns, the up and downs and sideways. We know its not good for our hearts but yet we keep coming back for more. When it delivers the high like it did today, its all worth it.

A tale of two halves. Wow. What a reversal. Yes the first half was about as a horrendous performance as you are going to see vs a team that is not good. I lost track of how many turnovers they had in the first half....was it 11? and Maryland scored 18 points at least off of turnovers. Paul Mulcahy alone had 5. Geo was an absolute ghost. RU was fouling constantly chasing MD giving them over a dozen points at the line. Little team ball, lots of jumpers. Lots of bad body language. Some inexplicably bad coaching and rota-8 froions by Pikiell that seemed to derail any momentum. Yes it was as bad as described in the game thrd. Coming off the listless performance at Penn State, this was a disgraceful effort basically around and the team seemed to be mailing it in by the end of halftime as adversity hit. Lets not revise history folks, the season was really truly was on the brink. Personally I stand by all what I posted about the team for that ridiculously bad first half. I own it. I also will vociferously praise the 2nd half.

The knock on this team over the past few years has centered on road issues, energy and lack of leadership. Well if the first half was complete trash, the 2nd half was a complete masterpiece. Arguably the best half of basketball that Rutgers has played all season long. A focused comeback that never wavered. An intensity that just grew and grew until they simply overwhelmed the Terrapins. Not only did RU win but they won going away and if the game was another 5 minutes they would have won by 20 plus. To a man, this was a complete team and coaching staff effort. I have no idea what the halftime speech was but it easily more inspirational than what us yahoos on the board were posting. To me the way that game was won with its focus, leadership and teamwork could have made it the most impressive performance I have seen by Rutgers this season including the win over Purdue.

Lets start with Paul Mulcahy. Liability in the first half....5 turnovers mostly careless. Seemed very overmatched against qucker Maryland guards. Paul went liability to catalyst. Right from the get go, yes he was rejected on his first drive to the hoop but converted on the next and then he was all over the floor in the next 5-6 minutes. Paul would be everywhere. Over a 4 minutes span, Paul hauled down 4 boards, scored 6 straight points, a corner 3 and then a traditional 3 point play and had a nice assist for a Reiber layup. RU cut the defecit from 11 to just 3 at 42-39 and RU was back in the game and then it was time for his teammates to takeover.

The knock on Geo has been his inconsistent play, the tendency to disappear, and not giving the leadership that you always want from a 5th year senior. Geo did not shoot the ball overall but he came through in the last 10 minutes. Geo did come out with a basket early in the 2nd half and a block on a Fats 3. I also noticed that Pike removed Geo for Jalen pretty early in that 2nd half, I liked that move from Pike, I thought Geo might have been falling into trying to do too much. It was an interesting move that I did note in the game thread. By the time we got midway through the 2nd half, Geo stepped up, hitting on a jumper and then a sweet pass that we have seen before to Ron for a 3 that put RU up 49-45. Geo doing the things needed to win without having to be the scorer.

And how about Ron, Paul started everything and got us close but this game was screaming for Ron to takeover and that he did. Tremendous leadership in the last 10 minutes. Ron delivered those back to back 3s that put RU up 49-45 and then after a 4 minute stretch where RU went scoreless losing the lead, Ron hit two more 3s. He was feeling it but he wasnt done, another 3 put RU up 65-57 with about 75 seconds left and probably sealed the deal. Down the stretch Ron was money at the free throw line nailing his one and ones. Ron was responsible for an amazing 20 of Rutgers last 26 points. That is just a sick stretch of basketball and Ron was playing good D as well. Ron a man unleashed tonight. Thats what leaders do, shake off the bad and step up. 31 points in 37 minutes, 10-16 shooting, 6-8 from 3, 5-6 from the line and 4 boards.

And back to Geo, I thought he did a nice job on Fats and when Fats left on the ground after a blocked 3. RU was down 6 and went on a 10-0 run after that. Little plays like that. Geo had 3 blocks and 7 assists. I thought another key Geo play late was when RU was up 57-55, Geo missed the open 3, got his own rebound and then dished to the win to Paul for an open 3 that swished and put RU up 60-55, it gave RU some breathing room with 2 minutes left and the Geo would also assist Ron on the following 3. This was a heady Geo today, Couldnt knock down the 3 but helped in so many other ways.

Now back to Paul.....Man that 3 he hit with 2 minutes left was the one where I thought, I think we are going to win this one now. Clutch shot made with confidence and again you cannot say enough about how he came back from that first half horror show and asserted himself. Might have been his best half ever. 15 points, 6-8 shooting, 2-2 from 3, 6 boards, 3 assists...yeah 7 TOs were basically all made up for in the end.

Now lets get to Caleb....a quiet game, his game was about defending today. Took only 3 shots, one a 3 that was basically down and swirled out but I want people to know he hit an absolutely huge shot, a beautiful floater that put RU up 62-57. His only shot of the game...clutch. Players making plays and teamwork. 34 minutes and 7 boards. Every starter would contribute something down the stretch. Big Cliff didnt get enough touches, just 4 shots, made 3. only 6 points but 10 boards. His defense and rebounding was key during the RU push to take the lead but more importantly Cliff stayed out of foul trouble in the 2nd half. I think first half RU just didnt make an effort to relax and get it to Cliff.

Hyatt has a quick 6 points in the first half but then basically did nothing after that in 8 minutes. Reiber looked solid in his time out there spelling Cliff. Mag and Miller got a few minutes that were needed but generally non factors

This game to me was Pike riding the starters. He had to. Maybe it was a challenge at halftime. They got RU into the mess and they were going to get RU out of the mess. As bad as Pike was in the first half with the rotations, there was not much tinkering in the 2nd. Pike was rolling the dice with his main 5 and thats the way it needed to be. Listen I was hard as any on Pike in that first half, how could a team come out that flat and then look to be in disarray through much of the half. They truly looked lost and to me this team simply was not competing and that would make 3 halves in a row including Penn State. This team is mindboggling to figure out. A true Jekyll and Hyde, you see when they are playing as a team and in sync how good they can be. You see like in the first half they look like they have never played together before. I think this is why the Big 10 analysts are tough on RU. They know that guys like Harper and Baker can play better and more consistent so they are perplexed at why some games they seem AWOL. Only Pike and the players know their mindset. Frustrating for us as fans so wild swing from game to game and within the game. RU outscored Maryland 43-21 in a complete dominant half. We can only be happy as fans, something clicked in.

The road monkey is off the shoulders. This was a game they HAD to have. How they did it was impressive because it got back to what the success under Pikiell has all been about it. Lunch pail, defensive effort and teamwork...for some reason that was missing early on and we lost it again at Penn State and the first half of this game. Trying to predict this team can be a real challenge right now. We can be happy we live to see another day, survive and advance and another opportunity awaits vs Iowa.
So did the team change from a poorly coached team to a well coached team in the 30 minutes of halftime?

maybe...maybe poorly prepared mentally
A great coach and a well coached team can have a bad start or a bad game, or an instance where a better coach gets out coached that day. But you can’t go from a well coached to a poorly coached team moment to moment.

A great coach and a well coached team can have a bad start or a bad game, or an instance where a better coach gets out coached that day. But you can’t go from a well coached to a poorly coached team moment to moment.
two bad halves at Penn State followed right up by an even worse half, something is not working like it should, halftime speeches are known to do wonders

two bad halves at Penn State followed right up by an even worse half, something is not working like it should, halftime speeches are known to do wonders
I guess all the winning Pike has been doing is from all the blue chip recruits he’s been stacking up.

Great recap as usual. Just want to mention again a play you pointed out. One that we have seen many times. Geo brings the ball up quickly, reaches the top of the key, turns around and passes to Ron who knocks down a 3. Seems like Geo has eyes on the back of his head. A beautiful assist and score. Now let’s impress for 40 minutes on Wednesday.
That play is practiced all the time. 30 feet before it happens they know they have a chance to do it.

Let this game be the end of anyone besides Geo Baker initiating the offense when he's in the game. Our offense struggles mightily when Caleb or Paul is the primary guy. Baker is not very effective off the ball, and Mulcahy as a second-option creator (or shooter) or Caleb as a cutter are their best fits. Baker has the best vision and passing ability of the three. Is he a perfect PG? No, but the offense runs best with him in charge. He couldn't hit anything today but came through with 7 assists and 1 turnover. The game completely changed when he was put on the ball and Mulcahy could affect the game from a more comfortable
Hmmm yes and no. It was Mulcahy who sparked Geo, not the other way around. Just give credit where credit is due. It was the emotion of Mulcahy coming out of the half that changed the game.

this

Mulcahy is the teams assist leader.

Not saying he should be the sole, or even primary ball handler, but I think the offense has proven pretty successful when he initiates the offense.

This team doesn't have a true PG, Baker isn't, Paul isn't(I think Paul is actually more of a pg) Caleb isn't, it's by committee, and it works.

Geo penetrating and dishing is when we often have gotten our best 3 point looks. There is enough sample size to show we are better with Geo handling the point and Paul creating from the wings in the flow of the offense. He also is a more comfortable spot up shooter than Geo is oddly
this

It's bc Pike always envisioned Paul as a big PG that would run the show so he keeps giving him the opportunity. He also still might see Paul in that role next year with Geo gone and Miller not potentially ready for the lead role

Geo penetrating and dishing is when we often have gotten our best 3 point looks. There is enough sample size to show we are better with Geo handling the point and Paul creating from the wings in the flow of the offense. He also is a more comfortable spot up shooter than Geo is oddly

It's bc Pike always envisioned Paul as a big PG that would run the show so he keeps giving him the opportunity. He also still might see Paul in that role next year with Geo gone and Miller not potentially ready for the lead role
1) Yes!
2) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Pikes better hit the portal hard or pull a recruiting rabbit out of his hat for a legitimate B1G/D1 point guard next season.

The ebbs and flows of the Rutgers offense during this game in large part was dependent on Baker and Harper scoring in high double figures.The rest of the players had more confidence in the second half as seen by Mulcahy on offense and the defense doing a better job not fouling.The lack of consistency game to game makes it difficult to predict game results especially on the road.

It was a daytime weekend game. Typically draws a family crowd. The vax requirement for kids under 12 was likely a big factor. The PCR testing option wasn’t a real option with results taking forever to come in - it would’ve been impossible to comply with the timeframe requirement and get a result in time.

So to go to the game, any kid under 12 had to be 2 weeks past their second shot and the shots first became available over NJ school break in November - you literally would’ve had to run out to get your kid jabbed with the first shot immediately when it came out to have been eligible to attend yesterday’s game. How many NJ families do you really think were in that position?

More will be in the coming weeks but not yesterday.
Game was at Maryland chief

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT