ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 22: Missed Opportunity but....

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Okay I have like a million different thoughts in my head and having been posting alot in the other thread as well first and my thoughts for this thread keep swaying from one side to the other.

For starters I was always against games being played at MSG and that is mainly because the program was a crapfest and lacked juice. However with the program on the upswing and on the cusp of breaking a NCAA drought, today showed how the RU fans will show up and take over the town. Next year with the game it will even more juiced as its Michigan State and its our home game which means we run the whole show. So yeah I have flipped on the idea of playing a home game there and having a game there every other year as a home game as part of this Super Saturday is a great idea.

Now about this game. No better word for it than missing an opportunity. If we embrace being ranked in the top 25 and embrace being a projected 6 or 7 seed, then we need to embrace that expectations are that RU ranked 25 should be beating Michigan on a neutral court. It does not matter if you play close and lose. RU desperately needs a road/neutral win for the resume and this was their best opportunity. RU had take advantage of their home games to get to 7-3 and put themselves in a great spot halfway through the season. But today, RU missed an opportunity to continue to be in the golden spot headed toward securing a NCAA tournament bid. In some ways this was similar to the Iowa game, some really bad defense early, take control and then sort of fall apart and then just when it looks like you are going to get blown out of the building, all of sudden the D responds like mad and its a one possession game with under a minute left.

Going to focus on that last part. The defense in the last 9:17 was tremendous. Michigan had only made fg in that time and that was on a busted 3 where RU gambled on a steal. RU totally shut down Michigan at 60-46 just when it looked like they were going to lose in a blowout. You have to give major credit to the fight and heart of this teams for bouncing back and continuing to pound nails just like they did in the prior 2 wins and the loss at Iowa. RU caused 5 turnovers in that key stretch that put them right in the game and giving them a chance to steal it. Its obvious that RU's success relies on the defense to create their offense. There was a noticable increased effort on defensive intensity in that stretch. Credit the team and credit Pikiell for the adjustments. Michigan was not allowed to run the same pick and roll that basically won them the game because the game was won earlier and Pike did not have his team ready to defend and by the time they adjusted the whole was too big to fight back from.

But you are not going to win when you shoot 36 more shots than your opponent and go 27-83, its just a hideous number to look at. Multitudes of missed bunnies, tap ins, open 3s, you name it. Just as dreadful as a proficient offense that I have ever seen. To see RU winning the offensive rebounding number 43-32 and I think 21-6! on offense and still lose. Its just brutal to look at that. Just disappointing, no way to spin it. When two of your leaders, Geo Baker and Ron Harper have brutal games where they go 2-19 it is hard to win and no it really isnt a good thing to say well they had such a bad game and we still almost won. RU did a lot on defense to get back into the game but the shot selection and mental game by these two down the stretch was disappointing. Harper and Geo missed 5 shots in a stretch, 4 of them I think on 3s. RU down only 5 with over 2 minutes and yet Geo taking back to back 3s that seemed forced. I would like to see RU at that time trying to work a better shot inside, too early for 3s. Geo did hit one finally late, its one that was actually more in the flow. I wonder why Mathis or Young were not the guys try to go inside. Pike went back to two guys who were cold as ice but those werent the guys who got us there and it sucks because Myles is almost a liability in crunch time with the bad foul shooting as an option. In the end, RU battled but and had every chance to win this game but simply could not make enough plays offensively to win.

So what does this mean. RU now 7-4 in league lost an opportunity to move into first place pending the result of the Illinois/Iowa game and will fall out of the top 25 this week...and actually the latter is a good thing in the long run. I think the attention and hype surrounding RU is sort of effecting their focus overall. They still are lovable and play with heart but its 3 games they sort of fall into some really bad funks where they lose focus. If this team is going to make the NCAA tourney, they need to get back to some of those earlier efforts vs Indiana and Minnesota. Unfortunately the next game is at Maryland which offers the same inside outside combo that has killed RU of late. Maryland who at times looked so so has started to look alot better lately. I do not like the matchup and I think there is a potential for an RU clunker where they lose by double digits...and you know what its understandable if it does happen. Teams go through rough patches. You are only as good as your last win or as bad as your last loss. Trick is to fight through the gauntlet and after Maryland, RU gets 3 of 4 at home where they can solidify their resume for a tourney bid. I do think the sooner RU gets the road win the better because its something that is going to dog their resume if they cannot take care of it.

Still let us reflect where we are. If the most disappointing loss of the Big 10 season is a loss to a Big 10 stalwart program by 6 in a game that was one possession with 19 seconds left, that means something good is happening here. Be positive and stay the course. Losses are going to happen and there may be a losing streak, but this team has already shown what they are capable of. As fans we are scared because its been 29 years without a NCAA bid and we are looking over our shoulders for the Grim Reaper to come. I think losses like this makes the players regroup and open their eyes to what an opportunity they have given themselves making them not want to blow it Alot of basketball to be played and RU will have their share of shining moments before season's end

All of our road losses have been on the cusp.

3 point loss to #1 B1G Illini
Huge comeback and 5 pt loss to Iowa
Huge comeback and 6 pt loss to Mich
Battle close all game and loss in the end to MSU

You win some you lose some. We will have our shot again on the road. PSU, OSU, even Wisc, winnable

always look forward to the read post game....thanks!

Okay I have like a million different thoughts in my head and having been posting alot in the other thread as well first and my thoughts for this thread keep swaying from one side to the other.

For starters I was always against games being played at MSG and that is mainly because the program was a crapfest and lacked juice. However with the program on the upswing and on the cusp of breaking a NCAA drought, today showed how the RU fans will show up and take over the town. Next year with the game it will even more juiced as its Michigan State and its our home game which means we run the whole show. So yeah I have flipped on the idea of playing a home game there and having a game there every other year as a home game as part of this Super Saturday is a great idea.

Now about this game. No better word for it than missing an opportunity. If we embrace being ranked in the top 25 and embrace being a projected 6 or 7 seed, then we need to embrace that expectations are that RU ranked 25 should be beating Michigan on a neutral court. It does not matter if you play close and lose. RU desperately needs a road/neutral win for the resume and this was their best opportunity. RU had take advantage of their home games to get to 7-3 and put themselves in a great spot halfway through the season. But today, RU missed an opportunity to continue to be in the golden spot headed toward securing a NCAA tournament bid. In some ways this was similar to the Iowa game, some really bad defense early, take control and then sort of fall apart and then just when it looks like you are going to get blown out of the building, all of sudden the D responds like mad and its a one possession game with under a minute left.

Going to focus on that last part. The defense in the last 9:17 was tremendous. Michigan had only made fg in that time and that was on a busted 3 where RU gambled on a steal. RU totally shut down Michigan at 60-46 just when it looked like they were going to lose in a blowout. You have to give major credit to the fight and heart of this teams for bouncing back and continuing to pound nails just like they did in the prior 2 wins and the loss at Iowa. RU caused 5 turnovers in that key stretch that put them right in the game and giving them a chance to steal it. Its obvious that RU's success relies on the defense to create their offense. There was a noticable increased effort on defensive intensity in that stretch. Credit the team and credit Pikiell for the adjustments. Michigan was not allowed to run the same pick and roll that basically won them the game because the game was won earlier and Pike did not have his team ready to defend and by the time they adjusted the whole was too big to fight back from.

But you are not going to win when you shoot 36 more shots than your opponent and go 27-83, its just a hideous number to look at. Multitudes of missed bunnies, tap ins, open 3s, you name it. Just as dreadful as a proficient offense that I have ever seen. To see RU winning the offensive rebounding number 43-32 and I think 21-6! on offense and still lose. Its just brutal to look at that. Just disappointing, no way to spin it. When two of your leaders, Geo Baker and Ron Harper have brutal games where they go 2-19 it is hard to win and no it really isnt a good thing to say well they had such a bad game and we still almost won. RU did a lot on defense to get back into the game but the shot selection and mental game by these two down the stretch was disappointing. Harper and Geo missed 5 shots in a stretch, 4 of them I think on 3s. RU down only 5 with over 2 minutes and yet Geo taking back to back 3s that seemed forced. I would like to see RU at that time trying to work a better shot inside, too early for 3s. Geo did hit one finally late, its one that was actually more in the flow. I wonder why Mathis or Young were not the guys try to go inside. Pike went back to two guys who were cold as ice but those werent the guys who got us there and it sucks because Myles is almost a liability in crunch time with the bad foul shooting as an option. In the end, RU battled but and had every chance to win this game but simply could not make enough plays offensively to win.

So what does this mean. RU now 7-4 in league lost an opportunity to move into first place pending the result of the Illinois/Iowa game and will fall out of the top 25 this week...and actually the latter is a good thing in the long run. I think the attention and hype surrounding RU is sort of effecting their focus overall. They still are lovable and play with heart but its 3 games they sort of fall into some really bad funks where they lose focus. If this team is going to make the NCAA tourney, they need to get back to some of those earlier efforts vs Indiana and Minnesota. Unfortunately the next game is at Maryland which offers the same inside outside combo that has killed RU of late. Maryland who at times looked so so has started to look alot better lately. I do not like the matchup and I think there is a potential for an RU clunker where they lose by double digits...and you know what its understandable if it does happen. Teams go through rough patches. You are only as good as your last win or as bad as your last loss. Trick is to fight through the gauntlet and after Maryland, RU gets 3 of 4 at home where they can solidify their resume for a tourney bid. I do think the sooner RU gets the road win the better because its something that is going to dog their resume if they cannot take care of it.

Still let us reflect where we are. If the most disappointing loss of the Big 10 season is a loss to a Big 10 stalwart program by 6 in a game that was one possession with 19 seconds left, that means something good is happening here. Be positive and stay the course. Losses are going to happen and there may be a losing streak, but this team has already shown what they are capable of. As fans we are scared because its been 29 years without a NCAA bid and we are looking over our shoulders for the Grim Reaper to come. I think losses like this makes the players regroup and open their eyes to what an opportunity they have given themselves making them not want to blow it Alot of basketball to be played and RU will have their share of shining moments before season's end

Reactions: bac2therac
It was a missed opportunity to win over the casuals and people who showed up for the first time in awhile . That really sucks , the season will go on and having a good year and a shot at the tourny but this one will sting for a long time . Unreal

Reactions: Randal7 and Scangg
Good recap. Geo and Harper forced terrible 3's at the end were disappointing especially considering their brutal shooting games. Harper should have been on the bench and Geo probably too at that point.

Missed shots and defensive strategy on Simpson killed us. We could have overcame one or the other but not both

You win some you lose some. We will have our shot again on the road. PSU, OSU, even Wisc, winnable
It's just a matter of time but the pressure will build until it does happen. Have to break through

well no actually they have lost all of them and the last 2 were sort of carbon copies in alot of ways. Have to learn the lesson soon or it will be groundhogs day

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Good recap. Geo and Harper forced terrible 3's at the end were disappointing especially considering their brutal shooting games. Harper should have been on the bench and Geo probably too at that point.

Missed shots and defensive strategy on Simpson killed us. We could have overcame one or the other but not both

I do not think RU valued its offensive possession this game. I thought they got flustered when Michigan was going on their two runs. We looked like shit, I dont know why Mulcahy was in at a key time taking back to back shots....inexcusable while we are struggling. I think Young looked great at times but tried to force it other times....5-14 in just 20 minutes, when he is good, he is good and when he is bad, he is bad, he shouldnt be taking 3s.

started another thread on Yeboah but only 3 shots in the 2nd half..that shows you the wrong people were taking shots.

Reactions: satnom and Scangg
May have been the biggest game for this program in awhile, and it slipped through our fingers. Still doesn't take the shine off of the season though. Need to regroup and move on to the next game.

A definite clunker, probably the worst game since Pitt. But all that being said, with 19 seconds to go we were down 2. Unlike Iowa, though, never had a chance to tie.
Time to refocus.

We laid a big fat egg today and still almost pulled it out at the end. I think they learn from this
Learn? Like they learned after Illi? Like they learned after Iowa?

Face it - winners at the RAC, unable to play 40 minutes at that level everywhere else except Neb. It’s Year 4 and a young roster. But I think most of us would have happily signed up for where the program is now after, say, the Bryant or St Bonnie games.

Good summary. Biggest reasons we lost were poor shooting, horrible pick and roll defense, and fouls, although this is one game I thought we got a bit hosed on on the calls. But the comeback was great and we lost to a desperate and very good team. This could be our rough patch but I think we will be ok.

Reactions: Scangg
With the possible exception of NW, teams are going to desperate the rest of the way. Some interesting stats,
1-16 from 3pt range in the second half,
Mulcahy played only 8 minutes.
4 Michigan starters played 38 minutes.

This game was a rewind of the game at the Rock last year.

25-79 from the field

6-29 from 3

25 offensive rebounds at SHU, 52 total to 38 over the Pirates.

SHU shoots 20-49 overall, nothing earth shattering but made timely shots.

Today vs Michigan

27-83 from FG

6-24 from 3

25 offensive rebounds/taps/putbacks

51 to 37 rebound advantage over Michigan....but similar to SHU at the Rock, they made timely 3s to build a lead.

In both games last year at SHU and tonight, lots of players had off shooting, but never seemed comfortable in either game. Ultimately too many misses are usually erased by the offensive rebounds, but those also seemed to have a lid on the basket.

I left the Rock very comfortable that RU was on the right track and that the effort was not rewarded with the baskets. I left MSG tonight with the exact same thoughts.

Not sure RU did anything wrong in any one area...while the hedging stuff is severely overrated, when RU jumped passing lanes on those cuts to the rim, it got deflections and steals.... so for 30 minutes it worked and then completely dried up for Michigan in the last 10 minutes.....the RAC will not be as comfortable for Michigan in the next matchup.

The one thing that continues to show up in "big games/big moments", is Montez Mathis. I am not quite sure he wouldn't want a couple of the very deep 3s back, but overall, he's emerging as the toughest player for opponents to cover.

When you add the amount of effort he delivers nightly on the defensive end, it is a potential turning point where he's warranted the ability to push up 4 to 5 3s per night. For a sophomore group that RU really leans on, it might be time to start dialing up some clear outs and isolations for Mathis to attack teams. He's not going to shy away from contact and has the moxie to take on bigger defenders. If he continues playing well and we unlock Baker and Harper from their slumps, RU is in excellent shape down the road.

Said this in another thread. Worst game since December 3 against Pitt. But we still only lost by 6 points.

The thing is, EVERY team in this conference has put up MULTIPLE stinkers in league play, and everyone has gotten blown out at least once. Our worst loss all year is by 12 points at MSU, a game we were “in” deep into the 2nd half.

This UMich game was our “stinker.” Just disappointing that it was in a neutral site game at MSG in our backyard with 10,000 RU fans supporting us.

Good post bac. Imo this game can be summed up as not ready for prime time. We played very hard but with little maturity. This team will learn from this. Terribly disappointing as fans but this had to happen. Live and learn we will be better next time.

a key question is how a relatively young and inexperienced team handles the pressure of the big lights and being the hunted and receiving a lot of attention. This was a big stage away from the RAC with alot of hype surrounding it. In reflection if this teams looks back at how they seemingly wasted possessions during stretches in both halves they will be kicking themselves.

My concern though are the dry spells, in the past RU has played solid enough defense to be able to overcome them..moreso at the RAC. But in this game and Iowa the defense was not as sharp. Vs Nebby and Purdue particularly the former the defense didnt hold up during the dry spell. Our struggles on offense are starting to effect the D. Also I think teams are starting to figure out what we are about and its something that Pike is going to have to adjust to going forward

Last edited:
a key question is how a relatively young and inexperienced team handles the pressure of the big lights and being the hunter and receiving a lot of attention. This was a big stage away from the RAC with alot of hype surrounding it. In reflection if this teams looks back at how they seemingly wasted possessions during stretches in both halves they will be kicking themselves.

My concern though are the dry spells, in the past RU has played solid enough defense to be able to overcome them..moreso at the RAC. But in this game and Iowa the defense was not as sharp. Vs Nebby and Purdue particularly the former the defense didnt hold up during the dry spell. Our struggles on offense are starting to effect the D. Also I think teams are starting to figure out what we are about and its something that Pike is going to have to adjust to going forward
Yep

On a separate note and a huge Monday Morning QB.....in hindisght may be shutting down Simpson with Mathis and Young was the wrong move. Michigan might be better with him as a facilitator and not a scorer.

Again hindsight, cant say i would have done it differently.

Our game at the RAC I night consider putting Caleb on him.

On a separate note and a huge Monday Morning QB.....in hindisght may be shutting down Simpson with Mathis and Young was the wrong move. Michigan might be better with him as a facilitator and not a scorer.

Again hindsight, cant say i would have done it differently.

Our game at the RAC I night consider putting Caleb on him.

Young was the one most effective at shutting him down later in the 2nd half. In fairness no one expected Johns to shoot like that, though anyone would hit those 3s they were so open

Pike was just a little late with his adjustments

Young was the one most effective at shutting him down later in the 2nd half. In fairness no one expected Johns to shoot like that, though anyone would hit those 3s they were so open

Pike was just a little late with his adjustments
my point was shutting him down meant he was only looking to get others to score....may be better with him having scoring mentality....not going to happen with Jacob or Montez on himn.

Really horrific offensive performance especially from 2 point range where we are shooting 50%. Did not see us get in our sets and the guards continued failure to feed Myles down low is getting damn annoying. Not having Harper go down low and stop floating around the three point line is damn annoying. As bad as the offense was all day, all they had to do was not panic with 3 minutes to go and take it to the hole for the quick 2 instead of jacking up 3’s . Really disappointed in Geo and Ron for settling for most of the night besides not giving the team any help today .
First half defense was atrocious and I guess John’s was not on the scouting report as we let him score 20 points today , most in the first half . Pick and roll defense and our normally great rotation was leaky allowing a bunch of dunks or layups. Frankly we did not play well offensively or defensively and it was mostly us not Michigan . We were not aggressive offensively and one of the more tentative playing both driving and shooting that we have looked all year. They played well, we didn’t but still had a chance to win if we did not panic. There was plenty of time and I cannot understand why they wouldn’t drive it. Michigan only had 4 fouls and we had to get to the hole or to the line to score with the clock stopped. The jacked up 3’s that barely hit iron was really unnecessary. Doubt we can play that lousy overall again.

It there is anything positive to take out of this game , they were shooting 50% from the field and from 3, with 3 minutes left and we were shooting 32% from both the field and from 3, and were right there at the end. Allowed too many open shots today especially from 3 , which was not normal for our defense. Get it out of the system and go win at Maryland on Tuesday.

Weird day in hoops today as ranked teams went down and a lot at home ( #8 Villanova at home , #10 Seton Hall at home , #11 Oregon on the road , #13 Kentucky to #17 Auburn , #14 Michigan State, #16 Butler at home , #21 Houston and #23 Wichita State and #25 Rutgers ) . Other than Kentucky all the losses to unranked teams, which is the trend this year. Based on that and our win over Purdue, I think we should stay ranked.

We wont be ranked. Creighton is headed in for sure. Wichita State is headed out. I think Ohio State also will bounce back in. Maybe Arizona. I think we are 26 or 27 or 28

Cant win going 1-16 from 3 second half. Have to find a way to eliminate or at least limit these long long dry spells. More post touches for everyone

Really horrific offensive performance especially from 2 point range where we are shooting 50%. Did not see us get in our sets and the guards continued failure to feed Myles down low is getting damn annoying. Not having Harper go down low and stop floating around the three point line is damn annoying. As bad as the offense was all day, all they had to do was not panic with 3 minutes to go and take it to the hole for the quick 2 instead of jacking up 3’s . Really disappointed in Geo and Ron for settling for most of the night besides not giving the team any help today .
First half defense was atrocious and I guess John’s was not on the scouting report as we let him score 20 points today , most in the first half . Pick and roll defense and our normally great rotation was leaky allowing a bunch of dunks or layups. Frankly we did not play well offensively or defensively and it was mostly us not Michigan . We were not aggressive offensively and one of the more tentative playing both driving and shooting that we have looked all year. They played well, we didn’t but still had a chance to win if we did not panic. There was plenty of time and I cannot understand why they wouldn’t drive it. Michigan only had 4 fouls and we had to get to the hole or to the line to score with the clock stopped. The jacked up 3’s that barely hit iron was really unnecessary. Doubt we can play that lousy overall again.

It there is anything positive to take out of this game , they were shooting 50% from the field and from 3, with 3 minutes left and we were shooting 32% from both the field and from 3, and were right there at the end. Allowed too many open shots today especially from 3 , which was not normal for our defense. Get it out of the system and go win at Maryland on Tuesday.

Weird day in hoops today as ranked teams went down and a lot at home ( #8 Villanova at home , #10 Seton Hall at home , #11 Oregon on the road , #13 Kentucky to #17 Auburn , #14 Michigan State, #16 Butler at home , #21 Houston and #23 Wichita State and #25 Rutgers ) . Other than Kentucky all the losses to unranked teams, which is the trend this year. Based on that and our win over Purdue, I think we should stay ranked.
I really can’t agree with you on the late 3 point attempts. The clock was our enemy- 3 minutes to play is actually very little time and we were also not fouling in order to get more possessions. The only way to catch up down 7 is to increase the number of possessions. The 3 pointers that were taken were certainly low percentage but we got them off quickly unlike 2 pointers that would have taken much more time to develop (based on how the game had gone) and we were not making anyway.

Like many college coaches Pike’s weakness is clock management. 3 minutes left only guarantees you 3 more possessions, maybe you get 5 with steals and tough defense. Down 7 or 9 you are not going to catch up any other way than increasing possessions. In this game, conditions were optimal for doing that because we could have fouled much earlier and put Michigan in the one and one. By the time we did that it was desperation time. I’m not saying we would have necessarily won with this approach but the odds would have increased from virtually zero to somewhat possible.

We were down 5 with 2 minutes chucking up rushed 3s...that is poor decision making. Better shots to take especially since Michigan was still not in the bonus

We were down 5 with 2 minutes chucking up rushed 3s...that is poor decision making. Better shots to take especially since Michigan was still not in the bonus
So what was our plan to score 6 more points than Michigan in 2 minutes if we ate up most of the clock and they sat on the ball, which of course they would do? We were definitely shooting our 2’s inside 10 seconds on the shot clock so if we average 20 seconds each possession and they go 25, the math is we get 3 possessions. Down 5 I don’t like our chances on that.

The 3’s were definitely low percentage but Michigan had gotten back on D and we were struggling. We were not going to win playing straight up. So I disagree that this was poor decision making. (The choices just sucked and the guys had to pick from 2 bad ones.) On defense my opinion is that we needed to get to that 7th foul (we had one more to give) and then continue fouling - earlier than we did that is. Again, this is not the first time I have seen Pike ignore this option and thus, I am pessimistic about our ability to make late comebacks going forward.

We played with little composure. The moment was too big. Learning experience hopefully

Good post and comments. Just want to add that I think Michigan's size bothered us and they shot almost 50% from 3. Also, they had a very good game plan on both ends. This was a crucial game for them. So, give credit to Michigan. They hung on to beat a good RU team. I expect another close game against Maryland.

I really can’t agree with you on the late 3 point attempts. The clock was our enemy- 3 minutes to play is actually very little time and we were also not fouling in order to get more possessions. The only way to catch up down 7 is to increase the number of possessions. The 3 pointers that were taken were certainly low percentage but we got them off quickly unlike 2 pointers that would have taken much more time to develop (based on how the game had gone) and we were not making anyway.

Like many college coaches Pike’s weakness is clock management. 3 minutes left only guarantees you 3 more possessions, maybe you get 5 with steals and tough defense. Down 7 or 9 you are not going to catch up any other way than increasing possessions. In this game, conditions were optimal for doing that because we could have fouled much earlier and put Michigan in the one and one. By the time we did that it was desperation time. I’m not saying we would have necessarily won with this approach but the odds would have increased from virtually zero to somewhat possible.
You are so wrong and any coach will tell you 3 minutes are an eternity. If you go straight to the hoop and get a quick 2 , you can set up your press and force a turnover or a deflection or a 10 second violation and if all that fails , Michigan has less on the shot clock to get a bucket. The facts are right in front of you. Geo finally hitting a 3 with 19 seconds left to make it 65-63, if we got one more layup earlier or 2 , that 3 would have taken the lead and then Michigan would have been scrambling. We had already deflected and stolen a number of passes down 14.
Want more proof , watch the end of the Iowa game , our press erased a 10 point deficit in less than 3 minutes from 4-5 to play to go up 1 with 2:25 left in the game. There are dozens of examples every where in every league.

Anyone have a flashback to MSG 2004 NIT final? Montez had a Ricky Shields performance and Geo's shooting was as off as Douby's was. Myles Johnson, however, didn't perform nearly as well as Herve Laminzana did.

You are so wrong and any coach will tell you 3 minutes are an eternity. If you go straight to the hoop and get a quick 2 , you can set up your press and force a turnover or a deflection or a 10 second violation and if all that fails , Michigan has less on the shot clock to get a bucket. The facts are right in front of you. Geo finally hitting a 3 with 19 seconds left to make it 65-63, if we got one more layup earlier or 2 , that 3 would have taken the lead and then Michigan would have been scrambling. We had already deflected and stolen a number of passes down 14.
Want more proof , watch the end of the Iowa game , our press erased a 10 point deficit in less than 3 minutes from 4-5 to play to go up 1 with 2:25 left in the game. There are dozens of examples every where in every league.
So how many times during the Michigan game in a half court set did we go straight to the hoop and score quickly? The answer would be none. And then surely every time a press is set up there is a turnover? Man, you are cherry picking. That press works maybe 10% of the time and as often as not, results in an easy 2 for the other team. As for your “proof” games, well, we lost both.

Frankly I don’t care what “any coach” will tell you. I’m saying 3 minutes is not an eternity and am criticizing the thinking you suggest. Does it work sometimes, sure, but the odds are, in the foul situation we were in, my suggested approach works better.

I knew we missed an opportunity when Michigan did not score in the first 4 minutes of the second half and we could only put 4 up during that span to go up 1.

Agree that was our chance to take over the game and it didn't happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT