You don't fight fair
That's okay, see if I care!
Knock me down, it's all in vain
I get right back up on my feet again!
Hit me with your best shot
Why don't you hit me with your best shot
Fire away

Hit Me With Your Best Shot applies all over the place tonight. Another cardiac inducing game from the most maddening Rutgers team in history that makes you pull your hair out and break your television screen but one that will leave you crying tears of joy and waking up your neighbors as you shout it to the mountain tops. Everyone has heard before of the folklore of Pikiell's teams pounding and spitting nails and this same blueprint again tonight with their backs against the wall in a tough environment. The ability for Rutgers to take punches all season long is downright sublime. Every time they are on the verge of being counted on, they get back up their feet again. RU took a punch from Indiana early who was also playing for their tourney lives. RU just could not get out of their way, if they could just keep fighting and time it right and that they did. Indiana is a soft team, its the same Indiana team from the last several years. If you saw their near collapse versus Minnesota where they barely held on after having a 27 point lead you would know that. Rutgers absorbed Indiana's punch in the first half and then yet another shot by in the closing seconds that looked to send the game into overtime. But Ron Harper...take a bow, the night is over, bow to the target, he shot that poison arrow through their hearts. Ron again in a big spot firing the winning shot. Is that the 4th time now...Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska and now Indiana.

It amazing that even in Game 29 the rollercoaster continues and this game going to be added to the folklore,. A win which moves Rutgers steps closer to securing a 2nd straight NCAA tournament bid. The first half typical RU road basketball. Incredibly ugly against Indiana who was playing good but not great. They went up 10. How important would Geo's 3 at buzzer to cut it to 32-25 end up? Rutgers won this game for many reasons but coaching was a big one. Pikeill is a better coach than Woodson that much I know. The switch to the zone was the right elixir that paid dividends. RU could not stop Jackson Davis at all in the first half as he had 15 and it looked he was going to light RU up for 30 at this rate. Immediately RU was able to frustrate the Indiana offense and then start poking the ball away. Indiana was able to somewhat sustain it at first and actually increased the lead to 9 but you could see that they were having issues. RU was outrebounded 18-12 but suddenly they were limiting the Hoosiers to one shot. Paul and Caleb got key steals and Ron got going as RU was able to pick up the pace in transition. Back to back 3s by Ron and then a Hyatt putback of a blow layup had RU up 38-37, a 10-0 run in just 2 minutes. Seemed like Indiana responded after that going on a 10-2 RU to go back up 7. Back against the wall for RU at that point but they kept chipping away and at times left the zone to go back to man. Rutgers defense was back and it was on point even as the offense still was hit or miss

Consider Jackson Davis had 15 points in the first half, he finished with 19...his last back came in the first minute of the 2nd half, no fg for 19 minutes and I believe only 2 attempts.......amazing. RU led by Cliff sometimes with a double team by Paul was denying everything from Trace. He got less touches and when he touched it there was no where to go. It was as good a defensive performance denying a star player that you are going to see. Rutgers completely neutralized Indiana's biggest player and dared lesser players to try and hold the lead for Indiana and they failed and even as Parker Stewart hit that tying 3, you love that he was the one taking the last 2 three point attempts. Its exactly how you want to play. Credit Coach Pikiell and staff for that wizardry in the lockerroom to made the adjustment but of course credit the team for executing that plan. For much of the game, RU could not get out its own way, in the last 5 minutes that did not happen. RU had multiple players stepping up in big spots. How about RU losing the battle of the boards 18-12 in the first half and winning the 2nd 21-13.

The Ron 3 of course to win, just how cool and confident he was but he hit several of these in big moments, 5-8 on treys, 19 points total, 6 boards and a team leading 4 assists. Ron played like a man today and was/is the best player on the court not Trace who I thought was. Winners win, shot makers make shots, leaders lead. Cliff, what can we say about Cliff....hit 4 free throws of his life back to back with RU clinging to a 1 point lead including a one and one. Ice cold veins and he hasnt really been in those big spots like that late. 13 points, 12 boards, 4 blocks. Was directly responsible for owning the paint in the 2nd half and rebounding like hell. An absolute beast and a Cliff in total control of his body and his emotions. 7 boards alone in the last 10 and half minutes. Absolutely owned the paint. May have been his best overall game ever as a Knight. He is becoming a huge nightmare for opposing teams now. Geo Baker is what he is and he did deliver some big shots including that 3 to put RU up 57-56 with 2 and half to go. Big shot in crunch time, not his best shooting night but so so timely. It was really important for RU to get that cushion with the lead because they play so much better when they put the pressure on their opponents to score. The D was locked in so you knew if they could just hit some shots they could win this one. Caleb again with another solid defensive performance. When he was pulled for foul trouble, you really could see the drop off. Needs to be in and Pike though was able to squeeze enough time with Mag in for Caleb to get back in there around the 6 minute mark. Also Caleb hit some sweet difficult jumpers that kept RU hanging around when the offense was not very efficient.

Then let us talk about Hyatt, OMG we pull our hair out about him and his ball handling and his blown layup which he cleaned up but Hyatt has the last 20 seconds of his life. Picked to shoot the foul shots after Mulcahy was ejected. You don't fight fair...see if I care...Aundre a 60% free throw shooter, RU up 3 and Indy going to the line after these shots and the ball, the ghosts of RU past were talking.....one and one and Hyatt calmly drains them both, RU up 63-58 with game saving free throws. Role players role and Hyatt has to be feeling on the top of the world tonight for hitting those critical shots.

How did Hyatt even get there. Well listen, there are so many threads about Paul Mulcahy its best to limit commentary here because this game and this ending was more than just that play. On a bizarre play where RU made a huge stop, Geo inexplicably and inexcusably for a senior threw the ball up court instead of just dribbling up the court and waiting to get fouled. How could he do that. Luckily the ref was in the way. Unfortunately Paul couldnt keep his emotions in check after Johnson pushed him out of bounds. You just can try to and swing at someones face. Inexcusable and if you have been watching Paul the last 4 games, no one is suprised. Flagrant 2 and booted out of the game. Paul could have cost Rutgers the game and their NCAA bid. Luckily, Ron and Cliff and Aundre stepped up to make sure that shouldnt happen. Paul bleeds Rutgers red so I know he is hurting and I know he is already making it good with his teammates and the coaching staff. Any RU fan arguing against that call has no clue. You have to make that call. Hopefully its a lesson learned for all.

Heart palpitations as usual, keep your medication with you. A shot of nitroglycerin would do. Start dusting off your dancin shoes.

Defense 3's and FTs

Cliff and Ron especially huge. Geo stepped up second half

Paul needs to lock in and focus on bball and channel everything else out

Great summary. The zone was genius and the key to the win, among other things, IMO. This game proves again what IL Coach Underwood said: we often simply play harder than the other team and playing harder matters and while it took a long time tonight, it paid off in the end, as we closed out a great win.

Good choice with "Hit Me with Your Best Shot," but did you mean to also sneak in the ABC line from "Poison Arrow?"

Great summary. The zone was genius and the key to the win, among other things, IMO. This game proves again what IL Coach Underwood said: we often simply play harder than the other team and playing harder matters and while it took a long time tonight, it paid off in the end, as we closed out a great win.

Good choice with "Hit Me with Your Best Shot," but did you mean to also sneak in the ABC line from "Poison Arrow?"

most definitely and a bit of Madonna too...would have went that way but Ron did the bow instead of the arrow

Reactions: RU848789
The zone was great and has been game after game. Also helps conserve energy. We have some length with Paul and Caleb. It really stopped TJD and Indiana offense completely sputtered once we stopped them from scoring inside at will like they did early first half.

The zone was great and has been game after game. Also helps conserve energy. We have some length with Paul and Caleb. It really stopped TJD and Indiana offense completely sputtered once we stopped them from scoring inside at will like they did early first half.
Boeheim has always had a lot of length for his zone at Cuse, as it really helps cut down the passing lanes, and we have some serious lenght with our starting five.

Boeheim has always had a lot of length for his zone at Cuse, as it really helps cut down the passing lanes, and we have some serious lenght with our starting five.
It really makes sense for us. Paul Geo even Caleb don't have the best lateral quickness and can get beat off the dribble but all are good help defenders with quick active hands

You're a real tough cookie
With a long history
Of breaking little hearts like the one in me
That's okay, lets see how you do it
Put up your dukes, let's get down to it
Fire away
You come on with the come on
You don't fight fair
Fire away

Hit Me With Your Best Shot applies all over the place tonight. Another cardiac inducing game from the most maddening Rutgers team in history that makes you pull your hair out and break your television screen but one that will leave you crying tears of joy and waking up your neighbors as you shout it to the mountain tops. Everyone has heard before of the folklore of Pikiell's teams pounding and spitting nails and this same blueprint again tonight with their backs against the wall in a tough environment. The ability for Rutgers to take punches all season long is downright sublime. Every time they are on the verge of being counted on, they get back up their feet again. RU took a punch from Indiana early who was also playing for their tourney lives. RU just could not get out of their way, if they could just keep fighting and time it right and that they did. Indiana is a soft team, its the same Indiana team from the last several years. If you saw their near collapse versus Minnesota where they barely held on after having a 27 point lead you would know that. Rutgers absorbed Indiana's punch in the first half and then yet another shot by in the closing seconds that looked to send the game into overtime. But Ron Harper...take a bow, the night is over, bow to the target, he shot that poison arrow through their hearts. Ron again in a big spot firing the winning shot. Is that the 4th time now...Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska and now Indiana.

It amazing that even in Game 29 the rollercoaster continues and this game going to be added to the folklore,. A win which moves Rutgers steps closer to securing a 2nd straight NCAA tournament bid. The first half typical RU road basketball. Incredibly ugly against Indiana who was playing good but not great. They went up 10. How important would Geo's 3 at buzzer to cut it to 32-25 end up? Rutgers won this game for many reasons but coaching was a big one. Pikeill is a better coach than Woodson that much I know. The switch to the zone was the right elixir that paid dividends. RU could not stop Jackson Davis at all in the first half as he had 15 and it looked he was going to light RU up for 30 at this rate. Immediately RU was able to frustrate the Indiana offense and then start poking the ball away. Indiana was able to somewhat sustain it at first and actually increased the lead to 9 but you could see that they were having issues. RU was outrebounded 18-12 but suddenly they were limiting the Hoosiers to one shot. Paul and Caleb got key steals and Ron got going as RU was able to pick up the pace in transition. Back to back 3s by Ron and then a Hyatt putback of a blow layup had RU up 38-37, a 10-0 run in just 2 minutes. Seemed like Indiana responded after that going on a 10-2 RU to go back up 7. Back against the wall for RU at that point but they kept chipping away and at times left the zone to go back to man. Rutgers defense was back and it was on point even as the offense still was hit or miss

Consider Jackson Davis had 15 points in the first half, he finished with 19...his last back came in the first minute of the 2nd half, no fg for 19 minutes and I believe only 2 attempts.......amazing. RU led by Cliff sometimes with a double team by Paul was denying everything from Trace. He got less touches and when he touched it there was no where to go. It was as good a defensive performance denying a star player that you are going to see. Rutgers completely neutralized Indiana's biggest player and dared lesser players to try and hold the lead for Indiana and they failed and even as Parker Stewart hit that tying 3, you love that he was the one taking the last 2 three point attempts. Its exactly how you want to play. Credit Coach Pikiell and staff for that wizardry in the lockerroom to made the adjustment but of course credit the team for executing that plan. For much of the game, RU could not get out its own way, in the last 5 minutes that did not happen. RU had multiple players stepping up in big spots. How about RU losing the battle of the boards 18-12 in the first half and winning the 2nd 21-13.

The Ron 3 of course to win, just how cool and confident he was but he hit several of these in big moments, 5-8 on treys, 19 points total, 6 boards and a team leading 4 assists. Ron played like a man today and was/is the best player on the court not Trace who I thought was. Winners win, shot makers make shots, leaders lead. Cliff, what can we say about Cliff....hit 4 free throws of his life back to back with RU clinging to a 1 point lead including a one and one. Ice cold veins and he hasnt really been in those big spots like that late. 13 points, 12 boards, 4 blocks. Was directly responsible for owning the paint in the 2nd half and rebounding like hell. An absolute beast and a Cliff in total control of his body and his emotions. 7 boards alone in the last 10 and half minutes. Absolutely owned the paint. May have been his best overall game ever as a Knight. He is becoming a huge nightmare for opposing teams now. Geo Baker is what he is and he did deliver some big shots including that 3 to put RU up 57-56 with 2 and half to go. Big shot in crunch time, not his best shooting night but so so timely. It was really important for RU to get that cushion with the lead because they play so much better when they put the pressure on their opponents to score. The D was locked in so you knew if they could just hit some shots they could win this one. Caleb again with another solid defensive performance. When he was pulled for foul trouble, you really could see the drop off. Needs to be in and Pike though was able to squeeze enough time with Mag in for Caleb to get back in there around the 6 minute mark. Also Caleb hit some sweet difficult jumpers that kept RU hanging around when the offense was not very efficient.

Then let us talk about Hyatt, OMG we pull our hair out about him and his ball handling and his blown layup which he cleaned up but Hyatt has the last 20 seconds of his life. Picked to shoot the foul shots after Mulcahy was ejected. You don't fight fair...see if I care...Aundre a 60% free throw shooter, RU up 3 and Indy going to the line after these shots and the ball, the ghosts of RU past were talking.....one and one and Hyatt calmly drains them both, RU up 63-58 with game saving free throws. Role players role and Hyatt has to be feeling on the top of the world tonight for hitting those critical shots.

How did Hyatt even get there. Well listen, there are so many threads about Paul Mulcahy its best to limit commentary here because this game and this ending was more than just that play. On a bizarre play where RU made a huge stop, Geo inexplicably and inexcusably for a senior threw the ball up court instead of just dribbling up the court and waiting to get fouled. How could he do that. Luckily the ref was in the way. Unfortunately Paul couldnt keep his emotions in check after Johnson pushed him out of bounds. You just can try to and swing at someones face. Inexcusable and if you have been watching Paul the last 4 games, no one is suprised. Flagrant 2 and booted out of the game. Paul could have cost Rutgers the game and their NCAA bid. Luckily, Ron and Cliff and Aundre stepped up to make sure that shouldnt happen. Paul bleeds Rutgers red so I know he is hurting and I know he is already making it good with his teammates and the coaching staff. Any RU fan arguing against that call has no clue. You have to make that call. Hopefully its a lesson learned for all.

Heart palpitations as usual, keep your medication with you. A shot of nitroglycerin would do. Start dusting off your dancin shoes.

Great summary. Thought the song would be “It Don’t Come Easy” by Ringo Starr, but “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” was a good one too.

We were down 52-45 with 9:08 left and closed the game on a 21-11 run, including those 6 huuuuuggggeeee FTs by Cliff and Hyatt, that clutch three by Geo, and of course Ron’s cool as a cucumber winning three.

The winning formula is always defense, and the zone was a masterful stroke by Pike to choke off the two man Trace and Race game underneath.

And let’s not forget that Assembly Hall is one of the most difficult venues in the Big Ten. Before tonight, they were 14-3 at home, and tonight was senior night, and their crowd seemed extra juiced. We went into the Belly of the Beast and came out victorious.

Which brings me to my final point. Three years in a row now we’ve won gritty road games in the final week of the season on the opponent’s senior night. Purdue in 2020, Minnesota in 2021, and now Indiana this year. The first two punched our ticket to the NCAA in those years (yes I’m including 2020). Hopefully this win tonight does the same.

Can't sleep tonight. So revved up !

Key Takeaways:

- 2-3 Zone Defense: What an adjustment. Totally neutralized TJD who was killing us.

- Harp: My post from last night said Harp was destined to hit the winning shot. So happy for him!

- Geo: The 3 with 2 minutes to go and the 3 at the end of the first half were huge as was his defense in first few minutes at beginning of 2nd half that resulted in steals.

- Cliff: What a warrior playing the entire 2nd half and showing such poise hitting those last 4 FT's

- Caleb: Give him the DPOY in conference and he hit some big shots when we were struggling in first half.

- Paul: What are thou are the f**k you doing? C'Mon - not at that moment.

- Hyatt: Not a big fan but man what clutch FT's he hit. Kudos to him !

Summary: Indiana is a terrific 1st half team and we are a terrific 2nd half team. I know this game would be like at Purdue 2 years ago and at Minnesota last year.

Now let's beat Penn State and win at least 1 game in Big 10 Tourney !

Some tidbits on Pat Benetar:

- She hates the song "Hit Me with your Best Shot". She does not always play the song on her setlists.

- Is she the most famous classic rocker yet to be voted into the Rock N Roll HOF?

Ron and cliff baby
Why do we never run the PnR with Ron and Cliff? Also, more Ron and Geo. Cliff Geo.

Too much Paul n Cliff means possessions where Ron and Geo are just standing watching. If we aren't going to move the ball and move off ball then we might as well switch up who we use in the PnR so it keeps everyone involved and the defense seeing different looks

From the depths of despair to the height of ecstasy all within 4 minutes.

You're a real tough cookie
With a long history
Of breaking little hearts like the one in me
That's okay, lets see how you do it
Put up your dukes, let's get down to it
Fire away
You come on with the come on
You don't fight fair
Fire away

My thought on the Mulcahy foul is I thought the Indiana player gets called for a routine foul, then should have gotten a technical for using his forearm to push PM out of bounds and PM then rightly gets a flagrant foul for retaliating. I can't seem to get a logical explanation why PM being forcibly pushed out after already being fouled isn't a technical.

My thought on the Mulcahy foul is I thought the Indiana player gets called for a routine foul, then should have gotten a technical for using his forearm to push PM out of bounds and PM then rightly gets a flagrant foul for retaliating. I can't seem to get a logical explanation why PM being forcibly pushed out after already being fouled isn't a technical.

I had the exact same take! That was clear on the replay and why it wasn’t called that way is mystifying.

Reactions: motorb54 and goru7

- She hates the song "Hit Me with your Best Shot". She does not always play the song on her setlists.

- Is she the most famous classic rocker yet to be voted into the Rock N Roll HOF?
I’ll fire away. It’s ridiculous that she’s not in the Rock and Roll HOF.
Though Paul deserved the flagrant I thought Johnson deserved one as well. He dove his body/shoulder into Paul. Was not a basketball play.

I never saw a replay of the blocking foul on Paul. Was that a good call?

The jump ball call was ridiculous. I find it hard to believe Indiana established joint possession. Refs were doing best to give the bluest of bloods the benefit of all the calls.

Thought Indiana benefited from some illegal screens. They don’t hesitate to make those calls against RU.

Well done review per usual.

I’ll fire away. It’s ridiculous that she’s not in the Rock and Roll HOF.
Though Paul deserved the flagrant I thought Johnson deserved one as well. He dove his body/shoulder into Paul. Was not a basketball play.

I never saw a replay of the blocking foul on Paul. Was that a good call?

The jump ball call was ridiculous. I find it hard to believe Indiana established joint possession. Refs were doing best to give the bluest of bloods the benefit of all the calls.

Thought Indiana benefited from some illegal screens. They don’t hesitate to make those calls against RU.

Well done review per usual.
Agree that X Johnson deserved a T also, though more like a Flagrant 1 for the push after the foul.

I actually thought the blocking call on Paul was correct, as he was still sliding to the right and leaning his body that way too. Of course, that's exactly what Davison did in the Wisky game when Jalen Miller plowed into him on the 2 on 1 break, but they called a charge there. B1G refs will never be known as being consistent, that's for sure.

Agree on the screens. IU was setting double screens in the paint, but they were always moving a little bit. That's how IU was freeing up their shooters on the perimeter, as our wing defenders had a hard time navigating through the double moving screens under the basket.

Liked a few of her songs back in the day, but of course had her poster plastered on my wall!

%24_57.jpg

its criminal she isnt in yet but up again this year and should be in with the fan vote.

Hit Me With Your Best Shot also is one of my least faves of her big songs but it was the first song to break into the top 10 and make her more radio friendly...although Im not a fan of We Belong either.

surprisingly only 4 top 10 hits. Remember alot of the songs that MTV played were huge hits on the channel but less so in the mainstream public charts. The exposure on MTV was far more than they would get on American pop radio which has a strict generic playlist

I was waiting to use this song as for a game recap too.

All Fired Up was my top radio song for her I think, but I'd watch any and all of her MTV vids😉😏😍
that song also has been in consideration for a game recap

Livin' with my eyes closed, goin' day to day
I never knew the difference, I never cared either way
Lookin' for a reason, searchin' for a sign
Reachin' out with both hands, I gotta feel the kick inside
All fired up (now I believe there comes a time)
All fired up (when everything just falls in line)
All fired up (wee live an' learn from our mistakes)
All fired up, fired up, fired up, hey

All fired up (we live an' learn from our mistakes)
All fired up, fired up, fired up (the deepest cuts are healed by faith)
Now I believe there comes a time
When everything just falls in line
We live an' learn from our mistakes
The deepest cuts are healed by faith
Now I believe

that song also has been in consideration for a game recap

Livin' with my eyes closed, goin' day to day
I never knew the difference, I never cared either way
Lookin' for a reason, searchin' for a sign
Reachin' out with both hands, I gotta feel the kick inside
All fired up (wee live an' learn from our mistakes)
All fired up, fired up, fired up, hey

All fired up (we live an' learn from our mistakes)
All fired up, fired up, fired up (the deepest cuts are healed by faith)
Now I believe
Please no Love is a Battlefield..although the drama does fit with being an RU fan lol (see game threads)

You're making me go
Then making me stay
Why do you hurt me so bad?
It would help me to know
Do I stand in your way
Or am I the best thing you've had?
Believe me, believe me
I can't tell you why
But I'm trapped by your love
And I'm chained to your side
We are young
Heartache to heartache
We stand
No promises
No demands
Love is a battlefield
We are strong
No one can tell us we're wrong
Searching our hearts for so long
Both of us knowing
Love is a battlefield
When I'm losing control
Will you turn me away
Or touch me deep inside?
And when all this gets old
Will it still feel the same
There's no way this will die
But if we get much closer
I could lose control
And if your heart surrenders
You'll need me to hold

Crimes of Passion is a fantastic album. That's disappointing to hear she had contempt for "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." You think the Stones and Bruce love playing Satisfaction and Born to run 100,000,000 times? But you do it for your fans.

I saw Scandal in Red Bank and they didn't play "Goodbye to You" because Patty Smythe didn't feel like it. That's a big dis to her fans.

Saw John Mellencamp just before Covid hit at the Beacon. Very good concert but he did not play Hurt So Good. I looked into it after and he said it was not a great song and he wrote it before he knew what he was doing and does not play it.

Crimes of Passion is a fantastic album. That's disappointing to hear she had contempt for "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." You think the Stones and Bruce love playing Satisfaction and Born to run 100,000,000 times? But you do it for your fans.

I saw Scandal in Red Bank and they didn't play "Goodbye to You" because Patty Smythe didn't feel like it. That's a big dis to her fans.
Lou, I've seen Patty Smyth solo and Scandal several times. She/they always perform Goodbye to You. They did not do it in Red Bank that night because she did not think it was appropriate because the show honored Pat Dinizio, who had just passed away. The Smithereens, with several different singers on lead vocals, were the headliner that night.

Lou, I've seen Patty Smyth solo and Scandal several times. She/they always perform Goodbye to You. They did not do it in Red Bank that night because she did not think it was appropriate because the show honored Pat Dinizio, who had just passed away. The Smithereens, with several different singers on lead vocals, were the headliner that night.
Mike - I can buy that. But she should have told the audience. Thanks for letting me know. I feel a little better about it now.
Regarding that show, I'm a big Gin Blossoms fan and had no idea Robin from the GBs was going to be performing with the Smithereens. I'm not sure if that night was the first time but now he's sort of an unofficial member of the band.

Mike - I can buy that. But she should have told the audience. Thanks for letting me know. I feel a little better about it now.
Regarding that show, I'm a big Gin Blossoms fan and had no idea Robin from the GBs was going to be performing with the Smithereens. I'm not sure if that night was the first time but now he's sort of an unofficial member of the band.
I think that was the first time Robin performed publicly with The Smithereens. He was excellent. I thought he and Marshall Crenshaw were the best "fill-ins." The band must have felt the same way. Both guys perform with the band pretty regularly now.

Reactions: LeapinLou
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT