ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 5 HOWARD: Better Now

Excellent recap once again Bac.

I think this team is going to take a long time in really gelling because of our extreme depth when Mag and Ogbole start playing. Almost too many players and Pike will have to mix and match a lot to find the rotation that plays the best together.
Do we think Ogbole plays this year?

The guard play has been much better but the competition is weak. Can the guards consistently play at this level against better perimeter defenders in the B1G? Will they be able to get all the way to the rim to finish against B1G rim protectors? If the answer is yes, this could be a top 3rd B1G team

Hyatt was terrible in the first half. Good Hyatt second half. He does seem to have realized he doesn't need to play hero ball which is very important. He's much more effective as a complimentary option when be doesn't force things and let's the game come to him
Yes, competition is weak but like the growth and learning to play together such that when we DO face better comp hopefully that work pays dividends!

Reactions: Scangg
That is a pretty low bar.

5 is a real small sample, but his assist percentage is way up, double last year. is rebound percentages are slightly up vs last year, but still down vs. 2 years ago.

I can’t remember what his passing looked like early last season when Paul and Caleb were out (and he knew he would be logging starter minutes). It’s hard to go by the assist numbers in those games because the teams we played outside of Temple were so bad that we scored most of our points in transition off of take aways.

Outside of his shortcomings on defense, my biggest issue with Hyatt in past years has been that he really didn’t pass at all in the halfcourt sets unless he was in trouble (alla youth basketball style of play). For the most part, we’ve seen considerable improvement on this front from him so far this season. He’s not taking as many contested shots and has actually looked to pass first in some situations (including a couple nice assists).

Yes better. The team is beginning to gel for longer stretches and I’m feeling hopeful for a fine season. “Hopeful,” not “convinced.”

Hyatt: same liabilities but also improved upside, really sweet 3 point stroke;
Cliff: I’m gonna. have to adjust my response to. Instead of focusing on the frustrating aspects of his game (poor feel for game, weak hands, I’ll-advised moves in post) and try to focus on his strengths (improved rim protector, improved passing out of post, good teammate).
Like our backcourt, esp. if A Williams proves to have game.
GG will be a star.
Nice to have Antoine as reliable second 4/5.
Surprising contribution from Oskar.

Gotta continue to improve. B1G looks down, could win a bunch.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Excellent recap BAC.....The continued improvement of everyone is a very encouraging sign that much better days are ahead. It's too bad that the Princeton game was not scheduled for after Thanksgiving when the outcome may have been far different. It's not coincidental that the team began to settle down and play better when Simpson started and took control of the ball. I like Simpson paired with Fernandes now that Noah has shaken off his rust. Question I have is what will be the rotations once Mawot and Williams return to the lineup. Right now the rotations seems to be working.

Excellent recap BAC.....The continued improvement of everyone is a very encouraging sign that much better days are ahead. It's too bad that the Princeton game was not scheduled for after Thanksgiving when the outcome may have been far different. It's not coincidental that the team began to settle down and play better when Simpson started and took control of the ball. I like Simpson paired with Fernandes now that Noah has shaken off his rust. Question I have is what will be the rotations once Mawot and Williams return to the lineup. Right now the rotations seems to be working.
Mag takes Oskar’s minutes initially, and slowly increases minutes probably at the expense of Woolf.

A. Williams probably cuts into JMike’s minutes, but frankly I can see AWill being a deep reserve or spot guy if we need a bigger guard. The 3-guard rotation is working really well right now.

Mag takes Oskar’s minutes initially, and slowly increases minutes probably at the expense of Woolf.

A. Williams probably cuts into JMike’s minutes, but frankly I can see AWill being a deep reserve or spot guy if we need a bigger guard. The 3-guard rotation is working really well right now.
Oskar despite looking better is going to lose minutes to Mag. Williams we shall see, but he should been to earn those minutes back with the other guards raising their game

Some people aren't going to be happy with their minutes, but playing too many players can league to not enough chemistry and players struggling to find a rhythm

Reactions: jonS and Rokodesh
Do we think Ogbole plays this year?
Not much if at all, to be honest. Let's hope our bigs stay healthy. If Ogbole could contribute once he's healthy for some defensive stops I have no problem playing him. given that he's already 23 he's more developed physically then typical freshman would be, and still has two years of eligibility.

Oskar despite looking better is going to lose minutes to Mag. Williams we shall see, but he should been to earn those minutes back with the other guards raising their game

Some people aren't going to be happy with their minutes, but playing too many players can league to not enough chemistry and players struggling to find a rhythm
That's my concern. It's not coincidental that the guard play improved as the 3 guards got more minutes and settled down. I can see Williams and JMike playing as a tandem and Williams maybe subbing for Hyatt on occasion..

I think this is true to a large extent. College basketball is a guard’s game, and we need superior play from our guards.

But honestly the ceiling for this team will be so much higher if Gavin can figure out his stroke and start averaging 12 ppg. Hyatt’s production from deep will be up and down when the good competition hits, and we need GG to shoot better than his current 25% from deep if we want to be a top half of the B1G team.
He's already averaging 11 pts per game.

Hyatt played well in the 2nd half after a nothing first half. Not sure why you said we got bad Hyatt when he played well in the 2nd half.

This team has lots of potential if we can play decent defense. Our guards have quickness. This team will score much more in transition than any of recent memory.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Best of Luck,
Groz
This is the problem with Hyatt, very inconsistent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT