ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt Commits to Kentucky!!

In this case there are so many hurdles he would have to climb to get to that point. The only explanation if it happened (which is highly unlikely) would be that he went there and something just clicked. He has to beat out someone else whose already penciled in as a starter.
That starter doesn’t have much experience, so he’ll get his opportunity, but it’s on him to make it happen.

His name is Braelon Allen.
Actually the pick 6 GW threw at the goal line of Wisconsin was the difference in the game. Huge momentum swing in an away game. The difference between 10-7 and 17-0. You probably will argue about it, which is not surprising. I was there. Totally tilted the balance of the game.

But Evan Simon made a beauty of a short throw to Young for a TD, and he was not seen again.

It was a mistake, and mistakes are part of the game. The DB made a tremendous play in jumping the route.

But even at 10-7, there are still no guarantees. I felt Wisconsin was a much better team.

It was a mistake, and mistakes are part of the game. The DB made a tremendous play in jumping the route.

But even at 10-7, there are still no guarantees. I felt Wisconsin was a much better team.
In general it's a really weak argument that our weak QB didn't matter because we didn't have a lot of close games. OBVIOUSLY, we need to try to improve at every position every year.

In general it's a really weak argument that our weak QB didn't matter because we didn't have a lot of close games. OBVIOUSLY, we need to try to improve at every position every year.
Further, even close losses and better QB play elevate recruiting.

I always remind here that teams which run up the score aren’t only looking to win that game but are also looking to win recruiting battles for elite players.

people here blame our opponents, but they have additional objectives

Sure a short game would have helped, but it wouldn’t have closed the huge gap between Rutgers and those teams, which completely outclassed us, and had better players. Braelon Edwards was the difference in the Wisconsin game, which I attended. Iowa simply beat us up. Ohio State is Ohio State.

Huge gap?
Completely outclassed us?
This guy, from less than a month ago, would disagree.

“We played competitively with Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa for most of those games.”

Post in thread 'We’re an IMPACT Tight End Away from winning the National Championship'
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-the-national-championship.276316/post-6778274

Huge gap?
Completely outclassed us?
This guy, from less than a month ago, would disagree.

“We played competitively with Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa for most of those games.”

Post in thread 'We’re an IMPACT Tight End Away from winning the National Championship'
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/we’re-an-impact-tight-end-away-from-winning-the-national-championship.276316/post-6778274
The only issue is your comprehension. There’s no contradiction. We played competitively but they still outclassed us.

The DB jumped the route like he'd been sitting in RU"s offensive meetings all week.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Sure he mattered but there is no validity to the argument that we would have won more games if we had a short passing game.

interesting watching that play again- couldnt see or remember who it was intended for but...if he didn't stop that last step to let the ball come to him and was more aggressive in owning the ball- it may have been completed.
2nd point- 9 time out of 10- that ball goes to the ground on the deflection.
3rd point- the freakiness of it bouncing into a defenders hands like that- froze the rest of the players. and again- most of the time- if intercepted, guy is stopped within 5 yards.

Sure he mattered but there is no validity to the argument that we would have won more games if we had a short passing game.
The problem with your argument is that in the same breath your trying to say how amazing an accomplishment it was that Gavin won 7 games for us. As if AK or someone else wouldn’t have.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
The DB jumped the route like he'd been sitting in RU"s offensive meetings all week.
As a matter of fact, remember this post game quote from the DB who intercepted:

Paywalled article here:

"Hallman, who was matched up on Jackson, saw his man come off the line and race inside, which alerted him to the fact that Dremel was about to turn outside on an out route for the end zone."

"One week earlier, during Rutgers’ 52-3 victory against Wagner, the Scarlet Knights had run a nearly identical play from the left hash that resulted in Dremel catching a 4-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-goal late in the first quarter. So Hallman, with that sequence firmly in his mind, yelled to safety Preston Zachman to switch off receivers during the play."

Maybe al is right- they outclassed us!

Reactions: LotusAggressor
interesting watching that play again- couldnt see or remember who it was intended for but...if he didn't stop that last step to let the ball come to him and was more aggressive in owning the ball- it may have been completed.
2nd point- 9 time out of 10- that ball goes to the ground on the deflection.
3rd point- the freakiness of it bouncing into a defenders hands like that- froze the rest of the players. and again- most of the time- if intercepted, guy is stopped within 5 yards.
I'd say most QBs throw it on the ground or tuck and run in that situation.

It was definitely a called screen. But when he threw the ball it was already clear that the receiver was blanketed. Ball never should have been thrown.
Wasn’t it 4th down? Can’t throw it away.

ETA imagine he threw it into the ground or sailed it out of bounds because he recognized the coverage was there. Without the hindsight it goes for a pick 6, this board would’ve lost it sh1t.

Last edited:
The coaches don't throw the short passes.

Bake Off Mic Drop GIF by The Great British Bake Off

• Haha
I'd say most QBs throw it on the ground or tuck and run in that situation.
some parts of the problem may also be direction from the coaches...did the kid feel like he HAD to throw it there no matter what?

I remember the Nova Days- we all wondered why he seemed so football dumb by crossing the LOS and throwing it or spiking a 4th down, etc...found out that he was told that under no circumstance was he ever to cross the LOS with the ball in his hand. I think it was fear of injury. But his final year- you saw him tuck and run when needed and he was pretty good and he no longer made that low IQ plays.

But the GW play and the other pick 6 screen at the goal line- were scripted and I would bet he was told no other option...and both were just horrible play calls

The problem with your argument is that in the same breath your trying to say how amazing an accomplishment it was that Gavin won 7 games for us. As if AK or someone else wouldn’t have.
The problem with your argument is that your assertion that AK would have won 7 games is speculative, whereas Gavin did it.

some parts of the problem may also be direction from the coaches...did the kid feel like he HAD to throw it there no matter what?

I remember the Nova Days- we all wondered why he seemed so football dumb by crossing the LOS and throwing it or spiking a 4th down, etc...found out that he was told that under no circumstance was he ever to cross the LOS with the ball in his hand. I think it was fear of injury. But his final year- you saw him tuck and run when needed and he was pretty good and he no longer made that low IQ plays.

But the GW play and the other pick 6 screen at the goal line- were scripted and I would bet he was told no other option...and both were just horrible play calls
Considering how risk averse GS is, I doubt the coaches would instruct the QB to throw the ball into danger. And considering they used Wimsatt as a running back regularly, I don't see why they would tell him not to scramble for 2 yards on 4th and 2. Regardless, he wasn't a good QB.

As a matter of fact, remember this post game quote from the DB who intercepted:

Paywalled article here:

"Hallman, who was matched up on Jackson, saw his man come off the line and race inside, which alerted him to the fact that Dremel was about to turn outside on an out route for the end zone."

"One week earlier, during Rutgers’ 52-3 victory against Wagner, the Scarlet Knights had run a nearly identical play from the left hash that resulted in Dremel catching a 4-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-goal late in the first quarter. So Hallman, with that sequence firmly in his mind, yelled to safety Preston Zachman to switch off receivers during the play."

Maybe al is right- they outclassed us!
The kid read his keys and jumped the route, not unlike what Mike Sainristil did in the Michigan game. Top to bottom Wisconsin was better.

The kid read his keys and jumped the route, not unlike what Mike Sainristil did in the Michigan game. Top to bottom Wisconsin was better.
UW was far from elite. Some comments from the Wisconsin preview thread, first one from a Wisconsin fan:

Just lurking and checking in. We still don't know really what we have at UW. The defense was really elite under the previous regime and it no longer is. That's the red flag for us fans - it's a scheme change and maybe the personnel haven't quite adjusted, or maybe the talent is just not what it was. I see RU being able to score. It's just whether UW can score more.

I did see a mention about a key for RU being to limit QB runs - with our co-#1 RB out for the season, I expect UW will try to use the QB runs more when not passing. He's pretty good at it, unlike UW QBs post-Russell Wilson. There's a chasm of talent down to our #3 RB.
Also, Rutgers needs to take timely shots at the CB of Wisconsin. They are the weak link on defense for the Badgers. They have been referred to as the "Toast Brothers."

Considering how risk averse GS is, I doubt the coaches would instruct the QB to throw the ball into danger. And considering they used Wimsatt as a running back regularly, I don't see why they would tell him not to scramble for 2 yards on 4th and 2. Regardless, he wasn't a good QB.
It’s a screen pass. The OL is told to slow down the rushers just enough to get the ball out. No one was blocking the rushers for him to scramble. It’s a stupid call on 4th and 2 in plus territory.

UW was far from elite. Some comments from the Wisconsin preview thread, first one from a Wisconsin fan:
They weren’t elite, but they were better than Rutgers. Allen had over 100 yards and the a played well too. WR Skyler Bell played well too.

This year we should have a good chance, but last year, they were clearly better.

Ask the 7 teams we beat why they couldn’t stop us.
You’re missing the point. If Gavin is known as a runner and is not the starter, then there is a high probability that he will run when he comes in. He isn’t going to brought in for his throwing accuracy. At RU, we did have the top back in the B1G, so that explains our success on the ground, despite the lack of a trie pass threat.

You’re missing the point. If Gavin is known as a runner and is not the starter, then there is a high probability that he will run when he comes in. He isn’t going to brought in for his throwing accuracy. At RU, we did have the top back in the B1G, so that explains our success on the ground, despite the lack of a trie pass threat.
I don’t think so. The question is will our run game be the same w/o the threat of a running QB. Or, will the improvement in the passing game help open up the running game. It will be answered soon enough.

Reactions: rutgersal

Wimsatt was also the leading QB for rushing yds//TDs in all the B1G.
He also had 3 more rushing TDs (11) than Mongo (8)

I don’t think so. The question is will our run game be the same w/o the threat of a running QB. Or, will the improvement in the passing game help open up the running game. It will be answered soon enough.
A threat of a running QB? Lol.

Reactions: Section124

This is one of the guys that felt the need to go to the Kentucky board and let those guys know that Gavin sucks and to not expect much. I see the same guys trying desperately to take away any credit Gavin gets for the 7 wins but literally put all of the losses on him. These are what you call emotional decision makers, and are now nervous because Kentucky coaches apparently aren't emotional and he gets another shot to be a starter if not this year then next year with a new team and coaches and FANS. It's a fresh start Rutgers has a new passing QB...it's a win win but here you guys are still saying we would've beaten Ohio state, Michigan and Wisconsin with Evan Simon at QB, and Wimsatt contributed nothing to the victories. I'm actually glad there is a new a QB and he's on a different p5 team because I was sick coming on the board after a win and seeing you guys rip on Wimsatt. It's over now but you guys want blood still because Wimsatt was the starter last year and beat out Simon. Next year's team should really be the same or better at every position next year. Melton is a loss but longerbeam was the better corner last year and he should be coming into his own next season. Enough athletes at dn to find a second starter with not much of a drop off from last years secondary. Hopefully Powell really doesn't miss any time because that off-season Achilles really pissed me off but things are looking up for RU with a new QB. Still you guys are raising hell about Wimsatt wtf maybe ru would have won the national championship with Simon idk let's go win one with AK. Gavin go win sec offensive player of the year within the next two years. Perfect ending...

Last edited:
Wimsatt is good for 7 wins when paired with an elite running back. That’s a fact.

That said, Schiano believes we are better than a 7 win team, which is why we have moved on.

Wimsatt is good for 7 wins when paired with an elite running back. That’s a fact.

That said, Schiano believes we are better than a 7 win team, which is why we have moved on.
I’m expecting 10 wins this year base on everyone’s take on the D, running game and now a capable passer. Plus no BIG 3 East and no Tua at MD.

He can be a running QB at UK since he will be 2nd or 3rd string most likely. If he gets hurts, next man up.
Just like he should drop down a level because he wouldn’t get a P5 offer. Just wish the kid luck. No need to put down the kid so everyone can sound like you know football. Next thing you guys will tell me to cook my steak well done.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
This is one of the guys that felt the need to go to the Kentucky board and let those guys know that Gavin sucks and to not expect much. I see the same guys trying desperately to take away any credit Gavin gets for the 7 wins but literally put all of the losses on him. These are what you call emotional decision makers, and are now nervous because Kentucky coaches apparently aren't emotional and he gets another shot to be a starter if not this year then next year with a new team and coaches and FANS. It's a fresh start Rutgers has a new passing QB...it's a win win but here you guys are still saying we would've beaten Ohio state, Michigan and Wisconsin with Evan Simon at QB, and Wimsatt contributed nothing to the victories. I'm actually glad there is a new a QB and he's on a different p5 team because I was sick coming on the board after a win and seeing you guys rip on Wimsatt. It's over now but you guys want blood still because Wimsatt was the starter last year and beat out Simon. Next year's team should really be the same or better at every position next year. Melton is a loss but longerbeam was the better corner last year and he should be coming into his own next season. Enough athletes at dn to find a second starter with not much of a drop off from last years secondary. Hopefully Powell really doesn't miss any time because that off-season Achilles really pissed me off but things are looking up for RU with a new QB. Still you guys are raising hell about Wimsatt wtf maybe ru would have won the national championship with Simon idk let's go win one with AK. Gavin go win sec offensive player of the year within the next two years. Perfect ending...
looks like you're desperate to credit Gav in any way you can. your obsession and constant cheerleading is getting cringe like

have to ask, do you have a crush on him (that's ok, we've got gay posters here), is he family, or are you normally this off kilter?

Reactions: WhiteBus
You guys? I never said anything about us beating OSU or Michigan if we had a better QB, and certainly not Simon. It's not cool to lump the comments of a bunch of people together, add on with some of your own creative stuff, and then falsely attribute it to others.

Also, I think its very fair to hold the opinion that we desperately needed an upgrade at QB.

And yeah I gave my assessment of GW on the Kentucky board. They were pretty welcoming compared to here.

We’re moving on to a QB that had a 54% completion percentage year 1, and a 53% completion percentage year 2. So the big concern is that the new kid is only a marginally better passer, while will not be as productive a runner.

I thought playing last years style, we could win 10-12 games this year, especially with Gavin sharing much of the rushing load. We are going to need Athan to have a 58% or better completion rate and throw for 200 yards or more, each game.

Still going on about this kid?

If you're not a total douche you wish Gavin well and move on. I hope he excels at UK but if we somehow play against him I hope we kick his butt.

Human decency 101. Some of your were raised differently so it's not all your fault.

We’re moving on to a QB that had a 54% completion percentage year 1, and a 53% completion percentage year 2. So the big concern is that the new kid is only a marginally better passer, while will not be as productive a runner.

I thought playing last years style, we could win 10-12 games this year, especially with Gavin sharing much of the rushing load. We are going to need Athan to have a 58% or better completion rate and throw for 200 yards or more, each game.
We should be cautiously optimistic about Athan hitting close to 58%. Listening to Gopher guys, his receivers let him down last year with several drops. In contrast, Ritchie & Co. have been saying our current set of receivers have been flashing all spring.

The problem with your argument is that your assertion that AK would have won 7 games is speculative, whereas Gavin did it.

Except you can flip it and know with an extremely high confidence level that Gavin would NOT have won more than 5 regular season games for Minny. You can try to argue the technical definition of speculative but it’d be ridiculous.

Even if you were to take the most conservative pro Gavin view possible and assume he definitely beats Nebraska, Michigan State, Eastern Michigan and Louisiana, you could not assume he’d beat Iowa (we saw how he did against them). That’d be a loss with a 29% completion ratio.

So just to match AK’s win total, you’d have to reverse at least one loss. Look at the points scored by the opposing teams and tell us which one Gavin realistically could have surpassed. Gavin has broken 28 points four times ever against FBS opponents. One was against Temple. He’s never broken 35 against a major conference team. Oh yeah - be mindful of the games Darius Turner did not play in also. It’s the equivalent of Kyle being sidelined….

We should be cautiously optimistic about Athan hitting close to 58%. Listening to Gopher guys, his receivers let him down last year with several drops. In contrast, Ritchie & Co. have been saying our current set of receivers have been flashing all spring.
Talent won’t be an issue for our WR Corp. Now Athan must produce.

Except you can flip it and know with an extremely high confidence level that Gavin would NOT have won more than 5 regular season games for Minny. You can try to argue the technical definition of speculative but it’d be ridiculous.

Even if you were to take the most conservative pro Gavin view possible and assume he definitely beats Nebraska, Michigan State, Eastern Michigan and Louisiana, you could not assume he’d beat Iowa (we saw how he did against them). That’d be a loss with a 29% completion ratio.

So just to match AK’s win total, you’d have to reverse at least one loss. Look at the points scored by the opposing teams and tell us which one Gavin realistically could have surpassed. Gavin has broken 28 points four times ever against FBS opponents. One was against Temple. He’s never broken 35 against a major conference team. Oh yeah - be mindful of the games Darius Turner did not play in also. It’s the equivalent of Kyle being sidelined….
What Gavin might have done for Minnesota is equally speculative and a waste of time. You made me laugh with “extremely high confidence level”.

Rutgers lacked an effective WR Corp with Dremel leading all WRs. Minnesota had Daniel Jackson, who is among the Big Tens best. Even so, Athan only had 103 more passing yards than Gavin.

Nevertheless, Athan has everything he needs to succeed, so it’s time for him to produce.

No - what we’re doing is moving away from a QB who only completed half of his passes 3 times all season against FBS opponents.

Athan’s passing numbers aren’t just “a little” better than this. He completed over 54% of his passes 7 times last season (more than half the games). The Purdue game completion rate is also deceiving for him. He had to keep looking to throw because the Minny D couldn’t stop Purdue from scoring. AK had 292 passing yards for 3 TDs in that game. Gavin’s never thrown more than 2 TD passes in a game by the way. And he’s only had more than one twice.

He had a few bad statistical games in blow out losses, but otherwise was pretty consistent.

Still going on about this kid?

If you're not a total douche you wish Gavin well and move on. I hope he excels at UK but if we somehow play against him I hope we kick his butt.

Human decency 101. Some of your were raised differently so it's not all your fault.
But you think it’s fine for Al to keep ragging on AK (our current QB) as shown above, and keep arguing that Gavin is better than him despite our coaches concluding otherwise?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT