ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt Commits to Kentucky!!

I'm not defending, I'm sure he doesn't care and is focused on improving his skills. Lol at least I would hope he is. I'm just pointing out how you guys are behaving like betas...winners wish everyone well..
Not defending him? Dude that's all you are doing!

Stop it... Rutgers was projected to win like 4 games. Ak and Gavin comparison is irrelevant at this point. AK was the better choice and now we move on...

Pre-season projections are irrelevant. Any reasonably unbiased fan watching us last season couldn’t help but wonder what could’ve been in only we had a QB who could be relied upon to complete short, simple passes as an element of the offense. Even if the trade off was a few less big QB run draws there would’ve been a ton of potential. And that’s the prelude to this season - it’s what we should be excited about. Adding a short pass game adds a huge element to the offense. It’s not just a small thing.

Reactions: RUShea
"The board," LOL. You make a lot of incorrect assumptions. Many of us in this thread have wished Gavin well.

Nobody is fearing anything. Kentucky is in a different conference, and Rutgers does not play Kentucky. The constant baseless cheerleading for a QB who could not improve his ability to throw short passes while at Rutgers and wishcasting that the coaches at Kentucky will fix the issue is the real problem in this thread.

How about not tearing down our current starting QB and getting on board with the team.

6657b0f0-b54b-4829-8e64-89e855ad7425_text.gif
You're certainly right that not everyone here is dumping on Wimsatt. But I'm sure you agree that some posters are. There are multiple reasons. For one, people are disappointed that their high expectations weren't satisfied; it's like dumping on an ex who you once thought would be your one and only. Another reason is that if Wimsatt does well elsewhere, that indicates that Rutgers did a lousy job developing him -- and that is a possibility that some fans would find hard to accept.

As I keep saying, none of this discussion is necessary. We had a player who was doing maybe a B minus job, and didn't seem to have the potential to be much better than that. We found a player who we think will do better, and so we're going with him.

Reactions: Knight Shift
"Gavin Wimsatt commits to Kentucky"

😳🤯🥵 "Well he was the worst QB in college football, I don't know why they would want him, he sucks" --Beta male

• Sad
"Constant baseless cheerleading" "wishcasting"

First of all, how can cheerleading be baseless? We root for who we root for, is Gavin a bad dude or something? Why can't we wish to see him do well? We are behind the team, well I am, I understand that Rutgers or it's affiliates have shelled out money for wide receivers. Can't wait and hope that Gavin develops as a passer, need a guy that we know will be able to maximize the influx of wr talent. Gavin was depended on last year because they wanted a safe rushing offense. It is what it is, I don't understand the amount of vitriol for a guy that beat every team you would say Rutgers was supposed to beat. Provided one of the best seasons in the history of Rutgers football. How many bowls has Rutgers won? But people are pissed to the point that they go to the Kentucky board to let them know Gavin is trash... Unbelievable, the way you guys are acting... You all should be ashamed of yourselves
Eat Grilled Cheese GIF by Dietz & Watson

Kentucky board, trash? Huh? You all?
Cheerleading for short pass completions to improve after 3 years of no progress is baseless. Maybe it will finally click for GW. Hope it does. For the umpteenth time, I wish him well. Time to cheer for our starting QB and the current team.

Those are not all 2023 games. I did this math and they both had similar stats vs common opponents in 2023.
Those are all of the games against common opponents. It's not as simple as completions, Rushing TDs and Rushing yards. The stats posted were the RTG and QBR for each game in 2023 for common opponents.

"Gavin Wimsatt commits to Kentucky"

😳🤯🥵 "Well he was the worst QB in college football, I don't know why they would want him, he sucks" --Beta male

And that’s just a dumb comment. He was the worst starting QB and was brought to UK to be a back up. I’d have preferred he stay here as a back up too, but that doesn’t mean I think he should start over an experience QB with a reliable short game.

Pre-season projections are irrelevant. Any reasonably unbiased fan watching us last season couldn’t help but wonder what could’ve been in only we had a QB who could be relied upon to complete short, simple passes as an element of the offense. Even if the trade off was a few less big QB run draws there would’ve been a ton of potential. And that’s the prelude to this season - it’s what we should be excited about. Adding a short pass game adds a huge element to the offense. It’s not just a small thing.
Alright man...he has lost the job, maybe last year was the year RU projected to win 4 games would beat Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn state, Iowa. I actually did think they would beat 1 or 2 of those teams but hey next year the team should be even better at most positions with a passing QB. Gavin has found a p5 school to compete for a starting role. It's a win win, in fact I think that's why schiano named AK the starter early to give Gavin time to transfer. I know you guys don't understand it but he's a good player man, just has to clean some mechanical things up, then watch out lol..you guys might get real pissed so I'll keep the possibilities to myself.

You're certainly right that not everyone here is dumping on Wimsatt. But I'm sure you agree that some posters are. There are multiple reasons. For one, people are disappointed that their high expectations weren't satisfied; it's like dumping on an ex who you once thought would be your one and only. Another reason is that if Wimsatt does well elsewhere, that indicates that Rutgers did a lousy job developing him -- and that is a possibility that some fans would find hard to accept.

As I keep saying, none of this discussion is necessary. We had a player who was doing maybe a B minus job, and didn't seem to have the potential to be much better than that. We found a player who we think will do better, and so we're going with him.
I agree with the disappointment part of your post.

I don't necessarily agree that if he does well elsewhere, that indicates Rutgers did a lousy job developing him. Sometimes a change of team, scenery, locale, coaches does a player well. It could be combination of these things or perhaps maybe coaching alone, but that would be a guess.

To be honest, I'm not so sure AK will do better, but he is the QB for RU now, and I will root for him. And the comparisons that will occur in every in game thread and after game reactions will be meaningless. The WR corps turned over except for 2 receivers. We "may" have a TE that can do more than block. Those are significant changes. Perhaps GW would have done better with the new corps of WRs and TEs. We will never know, and I am not going to criticize GW based on the performance of this year's QB(s). That's silly and useless, but that's what happens on message board.

That Gavin struggled to complete short passes last season really didn’t factor into our results. We won all the games we were supposed to win.

That Gavin struggled to complete short passes last season really didn’t factor into our results. We won all the games we were supposed to win.

As it turned out OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa were games we could have won. A short game adds a whole different dimension that can open up the game. Why do you and others keep harping on the how huge Gavin’s running is (which was limited to at QB draw plays) but dismiss the ability to find someone in stride on a lateral pass as a non-factor? I don’t get it. The threat of those kind of passes requires the defense to play us differently.

Reactions: RUShea
Alright man...he has lost the job, maybe last year was the year RU projected to win 4 games would beat Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn state, Iowa. I actually did think they would beat 1 or 2 of those teams but hey next year the team should be even better at most positions with a passing QB. Gavin has found a p5 school to compete for a starting role. It's a win win, in fact I think that's why schiano named AK the starter early to give Gavin time to transfer. I know you guys don't understand it but he's a good player man, just has to clean some mechanical things up, then watch out lol..you guys might get real pissed so I'll keep the possibilities to myself.
we won despite him, not because of him. the Oline deserves the MVP award for the team.

look, the kid sucked, was given way too long of a leash and was replaced by an AVERAGE QB.

it's done, wish him well and move on

it's AK's team now, circle the wagons and let's get it

I agree with the disappointment part of your post.

I don't necessarily agree that if he does well elsewhere, that indicates Rutgers did a lousy job developing him. Sometimes a change of team, scenery, locale, coaches does a player well. It could be combination of these things or perhaps maybe coaching alone, but that would be a guess.

To be honest, I'm not so sure AK will do better, but he is the QB for RU now, and I will root for him. And the comparisons that will occur in every in game thread and after game reactions will be meaningless. The WR corps turned over except for 2 receivers. We "may" have a TE that can do more than block. Those are significant changes. Perhaps GW would have done better with the new corps of WRs and TEs. We will never know, and I am not going to criticize GW based on the performance of this year's QB(s). That's silly and useless, but that's what happens on message board.
You're right that his success elsewhere (which I know we both hope for) might be due to factors other than poor development at Rutgers and better coaching elsewhere. It's not at all uncommon for people (athletes and others) to do better with a change of scenery. I think being back home might be especially helpful to him -- Kentucky and New Jersey are *very* different. But his success elsewhere would at least raise the possibility that poor coaching here was the problem, and that is a possibility that some of our fans would find difficult to accept. That's one reason, IMHO, that some posters here would have us believe that Wimsatt is hopelessly bad.

Reactions: rutgersal
I don’t think being the lowest rated passer in the country suggests ‘satisfactory’.

Also, it’s 100% on him. I’ve criticized the coaching plenty in recent years but they can’t fix his passing. Do you think Shaq didn’t get proper FT coaching and practice ?

This is the same. He excelled in HS as the best athlete around so his limitations weren’t recognized. He is a terrible college passer, so bad that we celebrated every pass he completed.

Lucky for us, Monangai had a monster year.
It’s funny- in the way you put it reminds me of sales- Gavin is tge AE who hits his revenue quotas(wins) but isn’t meeting margins or selling the Product/service that you have asked him to improve on..,

As it turned out OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa were games we could have won. A short game adds a whole different dimension that can open up the game. Why do you and others keep harping on the how huge Gavin’s running is (which was limited to at QB draw plays) but dismiss the ability to find someone in stride on a lateral pass as a non-factor? I don’t get it. The threat of those kind of passes requires the defense to play us differently.
Sure a short game would have helped, but it wouldn’t have closed the huge gap between Rutgers and those teams, which completely outclassed us, and had better players. Braelon Edwards was the difference in the Wisconsin game, which I attended. Iowa simply beat us up. Ohio State is Ohio State.

Sure a short game would have helped, but it wouldn’t have closed the huge gap between Rutgers and those teams, which completely outclassed us, and had better players. Braelon Edwards was the difference in the Wisconsin game, which I attended. Iowa simply beat us up. Ohio State is Ohio State.
In truth, GW would have been a fantastic passer and sure-fire Heisman finalist if he had a fieldhouse to train in, isn't that right Fieldhouse Al ?

Reactions: LotusAggressor
If Wimsatt throws for 4,000 yards and 30 tds at Kentucky, I can't even imagine the apocalypse that this board would become.
why? good for him and hope he can do that. no one should be rooting for someone to fail. Gav has only ever represented RU well, love that!

His time at RU wasn't good, he performed poorly. A change of scenery, different coaches, teammates, etc etc etc may be what he needs.

Shelby won't root for him to fail, but won't root for him to succeed either. Shelby is indifferent on the matter.

Those are all of the games against common opponents. It's not as simple as completions, Rushing TDs and Rushing yards. The stats posted were the RTG and QBR for each game in 2023 for common opponents.
Interesting. Just looking at OSU, I wouldn’t say AK did 2 twice as good. I would even go as far as to say GW had a better game.

AK 11/19 89 yds 0 TD 1 int. 7 rushes for 3 yds

GW 10/25 129 yds 1 TD 1 int 13 rushes for 49 yds.

ETA the problem with the rating is that when it’s so low, it’s useless.

Last edited:
why? good for him and hope he can do that. no one should be rooting for someone to fail. Gav has only ever represented RU well, love that!

His time at RU wasn't good, he performed poorly. A change of scenery, different coaches, teammates, etc etc etc may be what he needs.
Ageed. If anything, it would unite the board in finally validating Schiano's archaic offensive philospophy is negative value.

Interesting. Just looking at OSU, I wouldn’t say AK did 2 twice as good. I would even go as far as to say GW had a better game.

AK 11/19 89 yds 0 TD 1 int. 7 rushes for 3 yds

GW 10/25 129 yds 1 TD 1 int 13 rushes for 49 yds.
You're using the game where we had the lead, against OSU, in the second half, with the ball and in scoring position, until GW threw an awful pass othat was picked and returned 90 yards for a TD and completely changed the trajectory of the game? That's your argument?

So since you predicted many many wins this year, wouldn't a short game (not conceding at all that GW's only failing was short game)...wouldn't a short game be important for this coming year?

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
You're using the game where we had the lead, against OSU, in the second half, with the ball and in scoring position, until GW threw an awful pass othat was picked and returned 90 yards for a TD and completely changed the trajectory of the game? That's your argument?
Of course. Are you saying if GW doesn’t throw the pick and we get blown out, it would be a better comparison?

He struggled to complete short passes to the receivers on his team. To opposing defenders, not so much.

If this happened, you would actually have to question our coaching. It would also mean he goes somewhere else and suddenly outperforms another projected starter. The most likely outcome is he only plays in garbage time at UK unless the starter gets hurt.

His name is Braelon Allen.
Actually the pick 6 GW threw at the goal line of Wisconsin was the difference in the game. Huge momentum swing in an away game. The difference between 10-7 and 17-0. You probably will argue about it, which is not surprising. I was there. Totally tilted the balance of the game.

But Evan Simon made a beauty of a short throw to Young for a TD, and he was not seen again.

Does that mean we should have 10 wins this year?

Does that mean we should have 10 wins this year?

Honestly - I have no idea how we’ll do because we don’t really know how good the teams on our schedule are. We drew NW and NW at the right times last year. Thats a factor too.

It was a called screen and read by the DB. Put that on the OC. KC loves to call screen at the worst situations. Still remember his 1st go around where he called the screen on our own 1.
It was definitely a called screen. But when he threw the ball it was already clear that the receiver was blanketed. Ball never should have been thrown.

If this happened, you would actually have to question our coaching. It would also mean he goes somewhere else and suddenly outperforms another projected starter. The most likely outcome is he only plays in garbage time at UK unless the starter gets hurt.
many kids flourish in different environments. I'm not suckling at the Greg teet like many of our fans but having seen enough of Gav throwing to know, this would never be on our staff

Another short (perhaps intermediate) floater that floated too far.

In fairness, AK's INT was bad too. Stared down his receiver all the way.

Of course. Are you saying if GW doesn’t throw the pick and we get blown out, it would be a better comparison?
[/QUOTE]

To be fair - AK doesn’t have a good stat line vs. OSU - he also fumbled in that game. So I don’t get how he’d have a better rating in that game. I agree with you.

That said - Darius Taylor’s injury caveat’s Minnesota’s whole season. Comparison of any game he did not play in would be the equivalent of stipulating how RU would’ve done without KM. Yes - he was that important to them - perhaps moreso as their D was worse. He played in only 5 games - NW (198 rush yards), UNC (138 rush yards), EM (193 rush yards), Bowling Gren (208 rush yards). And 59 rush yards against Iowa (we rushed for 34 yards against them as a team…). I’d say those are pretty elite stats to lose in a RB, no?

many kids flourish in different environments. I'm not suckling at the Greg teet like many of our fans but having seen enough of Gav throwing to know, this would never be on our staff
In this case there are so many hurdles he would have to climb to get to that point. The only explanation if it happened (which is highly unlikely) would be that he went there and something just clicked. He has to beat out someone else whose already penciled in as a starter.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT