ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt Commits to Kentucky!!

I didn’t argue about his passing abilities. My only beef is people downplaying his running ability.
I'm certainly not downplaying his running ability but as QB you need to be able to complete short passes to open up the offense by keeping the defense on its heels. Otherwise he should have been a second running back. Face it he was a one dimension player

Last edited:
Reactions: Section124
The 80 yd TD run was not a RB lead. KM was not blocking. If Pach is the only other runner that scored from 80 yds out, GW is in good company. My point is that I’m tired of people downplaying GW’s running ability.
Was it downplaying his running ability by pointing out how many TDs were 1 yard gimmes?
GW is a fine runner. I don't recall saying otherwise. But as others have said, throwing accuracy is a more important quality for a QB.

So winning 7 games blinded you to the coaches' shortcomings in coaching Wimsatt?? You realize them now only after he's transferred? You're digging a deeper and deeper hole.
Last year was an unmitigated success. We won 7 games and Gavin played a big role in that, despite his limitations. He showed progress from ‘22 to ‘23.

This year is a new year and Now, expectations are understandably higher. And Gavin regrettably showed no progress during spring. I don’t know about shortcomings, but we can reasonably say that the coaches efforts had no impact on Gavin, from the end of last year to the spring game.

Last edited:
So suddenly your position is our coaches didn’t coach him right? You predicted he’d have a huge year for us. Are you saying either UK will help him this year or our coaches would suddenly focus on this and he’d get it in 2024 where he didn’t before. It didn’t appear he had had anything figured out in the spring game on the shorts. What are you basing this on?
I’m basing this on my relationship with the kid and having faith in his ability and work ethic to become the best player he can be. I so believed in him, I wrote him a check, giving what I could. And last year he delivered. It wasn’t pretty, but he delivered, imo.

He has the work ethic and drive to be a good college quarterback.

He needs to demonstrate more consistent mechanics and better accuracy. I think he’ll get it done. Very disappointing it won’t happen at Rutgers, but that’s life.

Was it downplaying his running ability by pointing out how many TDs were 1 yard gimmes?
GW is a fine runner. I don't recall saying otherwise. But as others have said, throwing accuracy is a more important quality for a QB.

This. It’s also not downplaying what his “running abilities” are by pointing out what that has and has not yet translated into as a QB - specifically he has not yet proven to be productive e with scrambling. To date, Gavin’s running has been a threat only as an extra RB (QB draw) on play design.

Therefore it’s not “downplaying” to state the factual reality that he has not “yet” used his running skills to deliver any big time scramble runs off of broken plays. Maybe he will in the future - that’s certainly possible, but again, so far, that has not been part of his signature mark as a QB.

So if you struggle with throwing any time the scripted play is well covered, haven’t established yourself as a threat to scramble, and have a limited pass play design play book because you struggle with the short game even on set plays - well, your abilities are (absent major improvement) pretty limited even if your a super fast runner. Thats just where he’s currently at. No?

The 80 yd TD run was not a RB lead. KM was not blocking. If Pach is the only other runner that scored from 80 yds out, GW is in good company. My point is that I’m tired of people downplaying GW’s running ability.
At the end of the day he was a limited QB because he could not complete the most basic of passes. He had to run because he had nothing else. And he really didn't run that much because GS didn't want him hurt / he had KM. I prefer my QB's to be able to pass the ball and hand it off. Gavin was a great kid and we thank him for all he did here, but his ceiling is what we saw. Time to move on and get this program to the next level.

Last year was an unmitigated success. We won 7 games and Gavin played a big role in that, despite his limitations. He showed progress from ‘22 to ‘23.

This year is a new year and Now, expectations are understandably higher. And Gavin regrettably showed no progress during spring. I don’t know about shortcomings, but we can reasonably say that the coaches efforts had no impact on Gavin, from the end of last year to the spring game.
Be honest. Did you ever watch Gavin last year throw the ball and groan? I think last year was his ceiling. Of all people I would have expected you to trust the coaches and move on.

Interesting review of Wimsatt.

Wimsatt has a good arm that can connect on go balls down the sidelines and deep posts down the middle. On his 2023 tape at Rutgers, we see those throws made. The ability to stretch the field vertically is one of Wimsatt’s biggest calling cards as a player.

Wimsatt can whip the ball down the sideline and put some good back-shoulder ball placement on tape. The quarterback also fires with confidence down the seam and accurately delivers a fastball. Wimsatt’s arm talent shows up against Iowa on a deep drop where he fires from the opposite hash and puts the ball on the money between two defenders on the sideline with some layer to the throw.

The completions are somewhat hard to find, but the potential is there. Gavin Wimsatt still has a big arm and can make some tough throws.

Intermediate inaccuracy

Gavin Wimsatt finished last 8-for-26 on throws 20-plus yards down the sideline on 9.6 yards per attempt, according to PFF data. Deep misses will happen. Rutgers asked the quarterback to get vertical a ton. Wimsatt’s 11.1 yards average depth of target was the highest mark in the Big Ten and the fourth-highest among eligible passers. Any quarterback that has that type of vertical profile isn’t going to light the completion percentage box on fire, but hovering around 50 percent is an issue.

Most of Wimsatt’s bad misses seem to occur over the middle. When turnovers occur, the quarterback is either misfiring or not getting off reads.

The lack of accuracy shows up on slants and dump-offs in between the hashes. Most of the misses are high and can get Wimsatt in trouble. Occasionally, the quarterback got locked onto targets which led to disaster when facing zone coverage. Wimsatt completed just 15 of 44 (34.1%) intermediate passes between 10-19 in between the hashes. That area was his second-highest volume bucket behind short center. Iffy footwork is often to blame for some of the misfires, and holding his ground in the pocket against pressure needs some improvement.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
Be honest. Did you ever watch Gavin last year throw the ball and groan? I think last year was his ceiling. Of all people I would have expected you to trust the coaches and move on.
Be honest, who was the last QB you watched at RU that didn’t make you groan?

This. It’s also not downplaying what his “running abilities” are by pointing out what that has and has not yet translated into as a QB - specifically he has not yet proven to be productive e with scrambling. To date, Gavin’s running has been a threat only as an extra RB (QB draw) on play design.

Therefore it’s not “downplaying” to state the factual reality that he has not “yet” used his running skills to deliver any big time scramble runs off of broken plays. Maybe he will in the future - that’s certainly possible, but again, so far, that has not been part of his signature mark as a QB.

So if you struggle with throwing any time the scripted play is well covered, haven’t established yourself as a threat to scramble, and have a limited pass play design play book because you struggle with the short game even on set plays - well, your abilities are (absent major improvement) pretty limited even if your a super fast runner. Thats just where he’s currently at. No?
Scramble ability? You have to be able to pass protect to have scrambles. I hope our OL has improved enough for AK. Spring game didn’t show it.

Of course we did at times. But overall, the bad outweighed the good. He had a really good game against Miami.

The coaches don't throw the short passes.
They also didn’t improve his ability to complete same. This is what the on3 analysis had to say about same.

Iffy footwork is often to blame for some of the misfires, and holding his ground in the pocket against pressure needs some improvement.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Scramble ability? You have to be able to pass protect to have scrambles. I hope our OL has improved enough for AK. Spring game didn’t show it.

Huh? Are you trying to say Gavin had no time to make throws or a quick decision to take off. That would’ve been Noah Vedral after our line was depleted. Gavin was rarely in danger of being sacked. Protection was adequate. He just threw the ball away like a machine if the design play collapsed.

They also didn’t improve his ability to complete same. This is what the on3 analysis had to say about same.

Iffy footwork is often to blame for some of the misfires, and holding his ground in the pocket against pressure needs some improvement.

What’s your point? They are saying that his footwork is off and he’s often throwing off balance when there’s pressure and he has to make adjustments. His fundamentals are fine throwing into tight space if that’s the design play and everything goes according to plan (see his first throw ever). It’s hard to teach reaction skills.

Defending a QB who couldn't pass the ball is hysterical. If Gavin becomes the next Tom Brady good for him. What is terrible is people like you that think he can still be a 4 star as that is delusional!
Cool wtf do you even care? He's not on Rutgers.. move on, root for AK

Time to root for our actual quarterback Al.

Reactions: Knight Shift

You're tying yourself in knots. You said he'll improve at Kentucky because of coaching there. Then why hasn't coaching here improved him? Your answer seems to be that his Rutgers coaching was OK last year but it's not this year because we have higher expectations. That seems a strange argument; certainly it doesn't show that coaching at Kentucky will improve him.

I think you should drop the point. We have no idea whether he'll get better at Kentucky. What is important is that we've found someone who we think will be better. End of story.

Crazy how many people fear that a guy may succeed... He helped Rutgers to its first food season in a while, winning a bowl game...you can't just wish him well, you have to double down and tell every other teams message board he's the worst QB in p5...while we bring in the guy pushed out at Minnesota.... focus on Rutgers there so many positive things about this team right now.. .I can't believe there is a 6 pg thread on Gavin because the board is upset he's going to an sec school and not bowling green...that is a sign of a sad life, that your happiness depends on another person being unsuccessful so it can validate your message board takes... This is crazy, you have the QB you wanted...MOVE ON

Crazy how many people fear that a guy may succeed... He helped Rutgers to its first food season in a while, winning a bowl game...you can't just wish him well, you have to double down and tell every other teams message board he's the worst QB in p5...while we bring in the guy pushed out at Minnesota.... focus on Rutgers there so many positive things about this team right now.. .I can't believe there is a 6 pg thread on Gavin because the board is upset he's going to an sec school and not bowling green...that is a sign of a sad life, that your happiness depends on another person being unsuccessful so it can validate your message board takes... This is crazy, you have the QB you wanted...MOVE ON

"The board," LOL. You make a lot of incorrect assumptions. Many of us in this thread have wished Gavin well.

Nobody is fearing anything. Kentucky is in a different conference, and Rutgers does not play Kentucky. The constant baseless cheerleading for a QB who could not improve his ability to throw short passes while at Rutgers and wishcasting that the coaches at Kentucky will fix the issue is the real problem in this thread.

How about not tearing down our current starting QB and getting on board with the team.

6657b0f0-b54b-4829-8e64-89e855ad7425_text.gif

It's not necessary to dis Wimsatt in the way some are doing. The truth is simply that we found someone better. You can be satisfactory at your job and still get replaced when your boss finds someone who can do your job better.
I don’t think being the lowest rated passer in the country suggests ‘satisfactory’.

Also, it’s 100% on him. I’ve criticized the coaching plenty in recent years but they can’t fix his passing. Do you think Shaq didn’t get proper FT coaching and practice ?

This is the same. He excelled in HS as the best athlete around so his limitations weren’t recognized. He is a terrible college passer, so bad that we celebrated every pass he completed.

Lucky for us, Monangai had a monster year.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
You're tying yourself in knots. You said he'll improve at Kentucky because of coaching there. Then why hasn't coaching here improved him? Your answer seems to be that his Rutgers coaching was OK last year but it's not this year because we have higher expectations. That seems a strange argument; certainly it doesn't show that coaching at Kentucky will improve him.

I think you should drop the point. We have no idea whether he'll get better at Kentucky. What is important is that we've found someone who we think will be better. End of story.
Is there tangible proof that he will get better? No.
Was there tangible proof that Rutgers would win 7 games last year? No. Is there tangible proof that Athan will be better than Gavin? No. Just faith in the team and coaches and player.

Cool wtf do you even care? He's not on Rutgers.. move on, root for AK
I didn't know we can't respond to other posters anymore. Oh wait you just responded to me.

I am certainly rooting for AK. So glad he was picked as the starter. Maybe we can see a complete offense this year with him at the helm!

Huh? Are you trying to say Gavin had no time to make throws or a quick decision to take off. That would’ve been Noah Vedral after our line was depleted. Gavin was rarely in danger of being sacked. Protection was adequate. He just threw the ball away like a machine if the design play collapsed.
You really thought that? Ok, I didn’t see it that way. We had to max protect to get decent protection against 4 man fronts. This resulted in a lot of double coverage or 2 high safeties. Teams didn’t blitz us. They knew they can get home with 4. GW does throw the ball away quickly. But that’s coaching.

You really thought that? Ok, I didn’t see it that way. We had to max protect to get decent protection against 4 man fronts. This resulted in a lot of double coverage or 2 high safeties. Teams didn’t blitz us. They knew they can get home with 4. GW does throw the ball away quickly. But that’s coaching.

I’m not sure it’s “coaching” when Noah (pre-injury) did have the green like to make post snap reads and adjustments. Our line was all star caliber compared to what we had after our line got completely depleted for Noah (After lost Sutton, the O’Neal injury put us in a really rough spot). I know it was a different OC but I don’t think that’s it. I just don’t think they trusted gavin to make reads based on what they saw in practice. When pressured even a little he threw off balance and just doesn’t seem to make quick decisions period.

I’m not sure it’s “coaching” when Noah (pre-injury) did have the green like to make post snap reads and adjustments. Our line was all star caliber compared to what we had after our line got completely depleted for Noah (After lost Sutton, the O’Neal injury put us in a really rough spot). I know it was a different OC but I don’t think that’s it. I just don’t think they trusted gavin to make reads based on what they saw in practice. When pressured even a little he threw off balance and just doesn’t seem to make quick decisions period.
Noah was like 30 yrs old. GW is 20 yrs old and on his 3rd OC.

Reactions: satnom
Is there tangible proof that he will get better? No.
Was there tangible proof that Rutgers would win 7 games last year? No. Is there tangible proof that Athan will be better than Gavin? No. Just faith in the team and coaches and player.
Sure there was tangible proof we would win 7 games last year.

We were basically assured of beating Northwestern (train wreck at beginning of year), Temple, Virginia Tech, Wagner, Michigan State (train wreck) and Indiana. Rutgers did that. The bowl game was not a gimme, but let's take a look at that game and why Rutgers won.

QB play? Not really. 7/15 for 84 yards and 0 TDs. GW rushing - 9 carries, 9 yards. Two tush push TDs that could have been handled by any QB or handed to a RB. Why did Rutgers win the game? Monangai, carried for 163 yards and a TD.

Let's take a look at the QBR for GW and AK against the same opponents last year:

WIS GW-20.3 AK 53.5
OSU GW-23.9 AK 51.7
MSU GW-22.3 AK 66.9
IOWA GW-29.0 AK 45.9
MICH GW 84.5 AK 7.4
NWU GW 88.9 AK 90.9

In every game except the MIchigan game, AK's QBR was nearly double GW's. That is against some of the toughest teams in the B1G- Wisconsin, OSU, Iowa, and Michigan. In every single game except one, AK had a better QBR.

"The board," LOL. You make a lot of incorrect assumptions. Many of us in this thread have wished Gavin well.

Nobody is fearing anything. Kentucky is in a different conference, and Rutgers does not play Kentucky. The constant baseless cheerleading for a QB who could not improve his ability to throw short passes while at Rutgers and wishcasting that the coaches at Kentucky will fix the issue is the real problem in this thread.

How about not tearing down our current starting QB and getting on board with the team.

6657b0f0-b54b-4829-8e64-89e855ad7425_text.gif

I didn't know we can't respond to other posters anymore. Oh wait you just responded to me.

I am certainly rooting for AK. So glad he was picked as the starter. Maybe we can see a complete offense this year with him at the helm!

"Constant baseless cheerleading" "wishcasting"

First of all, how can cheerleading be baseless? We root for who we root for, is Gavin a bad dude or something? Why can't we wish to see him do well? We are behind the team, well I am, I understand that Rutgers or it's affiliates have shelled out money for wide receivers. Can't wait and hope that Gavin develops as a passer, need a guy that we know will be able to maximize the influx of wr talent. Gavin was depended on last year because they wanted a safe rushing offense. It is what it is, I don't understand the amount of vitriol for a guy that beat every team you would say Rutgers was supposed to beat. Provided one of the best seasons in the history of Rutgers football. How many bowls has Rutgers won? But people are pissed to the point that they go to the Kentucky board to let them know Gavin is trash... Unbelievable, the way you guys are acting... You all should be ashamed of yourselves

We were basically assured of beating Northwestern (train wreck at beginning of year), Temple, Virginia Tech, Wagner, Michigan State (train wreck) and Indiana. Rutgers did that. The bowl game was not a gimme, but let's take a look at that game and why Rutgers won.

QB play? Not really. 7/15 for 84 yards and 0 TDs. GW rushing - 9 carries, 9 yards. Two tush push TDs that could have been handled by any QB or handed to a RB. Why did Rutgers win the game? Monangai, carried for 163 yards and a TD.

Let's take a look at the QBR for GW and AK against the same opponents last year:

WIS GW-20.3 AK 53.5
OSU GW-23.9 AK 51.7
MSU GW-22.3 AK 66.9
IOWA GW-29.0 AK 45.9
MICH GW 84.5 AK 7.4
NWU GW 88.9 AK 90.9

In every game except the MIchigan game, AK's QBR was nearly double GW's. That is against some of the toughest teams in the B1G- Wisconsin, OSU, Iowa, and Michigan. In every single game except one, AK had a better QBR.

The argument is so ridiculous. Thats why I flipped it in a separate thread. I’m curious to hear which games AK lost that our “Gavin till the end” fan base thinks GW wouldve pulled off for them. Also curious to hear why they think the Iowa game outcome wouldve reversed itself if Gavin wore a Minny uniform…

I think Minny would’ve lost more games with Gavin as their QB. They wouldn’t have beaten Iowa. Nebraska is questionable. And I don’t think they would’ve picked up any additional wins.

WIS GW-20.3 AK 53.5
OSU GW-23.9 AK 51.7
MSU GW-22.3 AK 66.9
IOWA GW-29.0 AK 45.9
MICH GW 84.5 AK 7.4
NWU GW 88.9 AK 90.9

Stop it... Rutgers was projected to win like 4 games. Ak and Gavin comparison is irrelevant at this point. AK was the better choice and now we move on...

Reactions: satnom
"Constant baseless cheerleading" "wishcasting"

First of all, how can cheerleading be baseless? We root for who we root for, is Gavin a bad dude or something? Why can't we wish to see him do well? We are behind the team, well I am, I understand that Rutgers or it's affiliates have shelled out money for wide receivers. Can't wait and hope that Gavin develops as a passer, need a guy that we know will be able to maximize the influx of wr talent. Gavin was depended on last year because they wanted a safe rushing offense. It is what it is, I don't understand the amount of vitriol for a guy that beat every team you would say Rutgers was supposed to beat. Provided one of the best seasons in the history of Rutgers football. How many bowls has Rutgers won? But people are pissed to the point that they go to the Kentucky board to let them know Gavin is trash... Unbelievable, the way you guys are acting... You all should be ashamed of yourselves
That fact that you even visited the Kentucky board is funny. This is the only one I visit.
Obviously you are a GW admirer which is fine but the rest of us who didn't like his style of play can have a voice. Like you said he is no longer on Rutgers so need for you to keep defending him.

WIS GW-20.3 AK 53.5
OSU GW-23.9 AK 51.7
MSU GW-22.3 AK 66.9
IOWA GW-29.0 AK 45.9
MICH GW 84.5 AK 7.4
NWU GW 88.9 AK 90.9

Those are not all 2023 games. I did this math and they both had similar stats vs common opponents in 2023.

That fact that you even visited the Kentucky board is funny. This is the only one I visit.
Obviously you are a GW admirer which is fine but the rest of us who didn't like his style of play can have a voice. Like you said he is no longer on Rutgers so need for you to keep defending him.
I'm not defending, I'm sure he doesn't care and is focused on improving his skills. Lol at least I would hope he is. I'm just pointing out how you guys are behaving like betas...winners wish everyone well..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT