ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker Tweet

Well I guess this puts to rest any speculation that there might have been that Geo comes back next year.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Knight Ed
Actually, I don't. I think his mindset is not about winning. Its about how he's not making money. I think he's just looking at it like an unpaid internship that he's dissatisfied with. Its just a job at this point.
On the flip side, even if that is his attitude - "its just a job at this point" (which I don't agree) - wouldn't the biggest possible middle finger to the NCAA be going out and winning the whole thing, and forcing the conversation? With each game we play and win, the bigger the stage becomes.

As an aside, some posts in this thread (not yours Westcoast) are astonishing, but sadly not at all unexpected.

The issue here is the elephant in the room that NO ONE wants to talk about

WHY does college football and men’s basketball have to cover the cost of the entire athletic department ?

High schools have sports, and some of them have a LOT of sports ..that essential raise zero revenue. Why do they have sports? Because it’s is one part of having a complete school program, just like Having academic clubs, band, chorus, drama etc. it’s part of the school budget ...and they accept it’s a part

The same exact thing is the case for community college sports, division 2 and division 3 sports and a good chunk of division 1. The raised revenue is peanuts . Yet all of these small schools choose to have many sports that don’t raise a dime

So...flash forward to major division 1 athletic departments ...why do they NOT have the money to fund all the non revunue sports that all division 2, division 3, high schools and community schools do? They answer is they do...but the system somehow requires football and men’s basketball to pay for all the other sports

IF men’s basketball and football are only judged by the revenue vs expense stream they provide ...and not being responsible for the revenue to cover 15-20 other sports ...then the football and men’s basketball program...can be in a position to provide a better stipend package to the student -athletic, which are part of the equation of helping to create the revenue.

The student athlete package is much better than 20 years ago ...much better food and housing and a decent stipend

But most really don’t have time for a summer job. Or to cover the cost of travel home if home is further. Can go on and on. Let alone medical concerns post playing career.

There are things that Should be added to make the experience better And more commensurate with the commitment they make to compete ...which really has the time commitment of a full time employment while taking a full course load ....which aren’t intended to create wealth for the student athletes that should be addressed

If that happened ...perhaps image issues that will only raise real revenue for less than 1% of student athletes would not be an issue ...

Reactions: fluoxetine
[roll]Such a joke. Demanding a Supreme Court ruling...

Anyone who think this hasn’t impacted the team’s play this year is out of their minds. If you were as unhappy at your job as Geo apparently is at being a college basketball player, that wouldn’t impact your performance? Work ethic? Preparation? Relationship with colleagues? Of course it would.

There’s a reason why there has been a noticeable difference in how the team has “looked” this season. Chemistry off. Laziness getting back on defense. Doesn’t seem like they are having nearly as much fun. Everyone who saw that assumed it was Covid protocol related. Apparently it is the absolute horror that is being a college athlete and not having the right to make 100 bucks running a camp.

Anyone who think this hasn’t impacted the team’s play this year is out of their minds. If you were as unhappy at your job as Geo apparently is at being a college basketball player, that wouldn’t impact your performance? Work ethic? Preparation? Relationship with colleagues? Of course it would.

There’s a reason why there has been a noticeable difference in how the team has “looked” this season. Chemistry off. Laziness getting back on defense. Doesn’t seem like they are having nearly as much fun. Everyone who saw that assumed it was Covid protocol related. Apparently it is the absolute horror that is being a college athlete and not having the right to make 100 bucks running a camp.
Funny...No one would accuse this team of being "Lazy"...and their "Chemistry being off" because they have the same concerns as Rutgers. Why call out your Team when they are giving VOICE to a NATIONAL issue 🤔

How come walk-ons cant run a camp in their hometowns? They are not getting a scholarship?

Kind of blows up the NCAA and their control of these kids.

Reactions: CHR2022
Funny...No one would accuse this team of being "Lazy"...and their "Chemistry being off" because they have the same concerns as Rutgers. Why call out your Team when they are giving VOICE to a NATIONAL issue 🤔

Yeah...because some teams can internalize things better and perform better in the face of “adversity” and stress. Some teams have better players which means they have a bigger margin for error if things are affecting them personally or in the locker room. Plus I haven’t watched every Iowa game the last 2 seasons to compare body language and things like that. Iowa also went 21-8 and finished strong down the stretch.

Shack,

as you know football and basketball have been loss leaders at Rutgers and aren’t paying for other sports. They have eliminated other sports.

Kids that play other sports make the same sacrifices, some without the same access that football players get and they do it without a scholarship. They do it because they love their sport.

As I said earlier on, whatever side you're on with this issue it is terrible timing and bad optics right now to all RU fans. Two days before the university plays it's first tournament game in 30 years our captain feels the need to comment on this?

For those of you who want to pay the athletes how do you figure who gets what? Does Geo get more then Luke, if so why? They both are putting in the same amount of hours. What about Olympic sport athletes? Do our gymnasts, track and field athletes, soccer, volleyball, softball and baseball players get paid too? If so, equal to revenue sport producing people? What about walk ons? Do they get paid?
I'd like to see a proposal from someone on this.

If Geo Baker wanted to run a camp in Derry would kids go if he was Geo Baker from Derry? No they would go because he's the captain of the Rutgers University basketball team who they've seen play on TV. His name and likeness only have value because he's a college basketball player. Without that he's just another guy shooting around in the playground.
I don’t agree with that at all. Geo and the other players are striking when the attention is at the highest point. As a Rutgers Alum, I am proud and supportive of Geo and Ron.

An academically gifted kid can start a tutoring sevice. True.
A musically gifted kid can start a band and make money playing music. True
Here's the difference between them and an athlete. Both of these kids can do this independently of their association with the university. Athletes showcase their talents because the university gives them the opportunity.
I'll repeat something I said earlier. Kids wil go to a camp or clinic to see Geo Baker because he's the captain of the Rutgers University basketball team. Without the university he's just another guy shooting in the playground. Geo and all these players need college basketball more then college basketball needs them.
As Seinfeld said fans root for laundry. They root for the jersey, whoever might be wearing it.

I’m in the “pay the players boat.”
But once again this is players caring more about their personal brand and making money off of social media than actually playing the game. You see it a lot in pro sports and now college athletes want the same treatment. I get it, the NCAA is screwed up. But these guys clearly don’t care about Friday as much as they should. I guess we’ll see.

“Students on music scholarship can make an album”...false comparison.

Very few get a FULL RIDE scholarship, and making an album COSTS MONEY TO MAKE. So there’s th

Reactions: Wolv RU
Well I guess this puts to rest any speculation that there might have been that Geo comes back next year.

giphy.gif

That’s the common view. However, in the unlikely event that his “movement” pulls through on the NIL vote for next year he’d be in great shape for earning as a returning player. There could even be political podcast opportunities for income.

As Seinfeld said fans root for laundry. They root for the jersey, whoever might be wearing it.

So true. How much did Yankee fans like Tino in Seattle, Johnny in Boston, and Jason in Oakland vs. how much they loved them in NY?

Rutgers fans Gonna buy a Eugene Omoruyi Oregon Jersey?

Last edited:
Amazed at some of these comments, considering you all consider yourselves 'supporters' of these young men. CBS paying damn near $1B for these rights. Meanwhile, Geo can't even conduct a basketball clinic back in Derry, NH and charge kids $50 without it being a NCAA violation...but at the same time Coach K can run Duke fantasy camps for old white dudes for $5k a week. You have to be kidding me if you think the system isn't broken and they should shut up and dribble because they get a scholarship. It's 2021, time to evolve the model.

On point. The time is always right to speak for any injustices we see.

Do we support them as people, or just for the entertainment they provide? Remember, they are in New Brunswick and are Knights.

I generally feel like the NCAA is not an organization/system without it's own warts that make it an easy target. There are kernals of truth to the argument that coaches, schools, and the NCAA bring in big money and that these kids are the product. The relationship is, of course, way more symbiotic than the kids realize...without the platform of these universities and the NCAA Tournament, their likeness is pretty worthless unless you were Lebron James or one of these generational talents. Those guys do get massively undervalued if they play the college game (which is why Lamelo Ball and some others skipped playing in college).

If these guys really want to own their rights, they should reimburse the school for the cost of their scholarship and their share of the basketball/football support staff and budget. Hell, it might even keep coaches from pushing salaries higher as it raises the bar on what kids need to make to buy themselves out of their scholarship. If they can earn more than it costs to have them in the program, then more power to them, but I tend to think it would be far fewer kids than they think and almost certainly no Rutgers guys have enough cachet to make more than the costs to have them here.

Mens or both combined? (if you know. Didn't see the article)..and if it included this Covid year that's no surprise.
19-20 looks like we spent $8mm and had revenue of $2mm but thinking that does not include tv but may be wrong there. Men’s only.

And you don’t see how this could be used as a recruiting tool? Hey Wimsatt come to Kentucky we can promise you 5 autograph sessions at $20k a pop and it’s all legal. What can Rutgers offer you? He who pays the most wins. Sounds like fun. It’s basically professional sports without a salary cap. Think Rutgers wants to run a Professional sports franchise?

I see it. I just think:

(1) This is not enough justification for the NCAA to exercise the power they do and
(2) You can still make rules against directly paying players to play

Let these kids go straight to NBA/g-league and this becomes much less of an issue. This is indefensible as long as that BS rule exists.

19-20 looks like we spent $8mm and had revenue of $2mm but thinking that does not include tv but may be wrong there. Men’s only.
Interesting. Thanks. Yeah, something must be missing. With the attendance I would have thought at least break even. BTN funds should be in there too? $2mm rev. seems crazy low. if we had 4,000 paying fans at $25 each (low) for 19 games that's $1.9mm alone.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Interesting. Thanks. Yeah, something must be missing. With the attendance I would have thought at least break even. BTN funds should be in there too? $2mm rev. seems crazy low. if we had 4,000 paying fans at $25 each (low) for 19 games that's $1.9mm alone.
Yea not sure it counts amortizing the new facility debt either though. That’s $43mm over 27 years plus interest. My guess (total guess) is that we don’t break even but would be interesting to know.

My one concern with Geo’s position is that it’s gonna further help the blue bloods and schools with big name recognition—that’s where the exposure and money will be.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
On point. The time is always right to speak for any injustices we see.

Do we support them as people, or just for the entertainment they provide? Remember, they are in New Brunswick and are Knights.

Correct. He didn’t bring this up out of nowhere. A media head on cbs came out with a statement saying how dare these players who have been in lock down all season be nothing but thrilled that the NCAA is making this possible.

Reactions: higgins3
So does Geo think every out of state student should get a completely free tuition like he has? He's talking about equal rights. Is it equal, to Geo, that he got a 200k education for free while some poor bastard has to pay that off in loans for the next couple decades?

What exactly constitutes equal rights from his perspective? He mentioned the music scholarship student being able to make an album. Do those music students have a 100% free tuition scholarship like he has? Would he trade some scholarship money for the ability run a basketball camp with his name on it?

Does the music student get the Cost of Attendance stipend Geo gets?

No.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Anybody that can't see this is an actual moron.

I'm sorry but it's true.

A rather sad state of affairs that this thread/topic is dominating the board on the eve of our first tournament appearance in over 30 years. Particularly since we just had this same discussion a few weeks ago in reaction to a more unfortunate Geo Tweet.

I am probably old school in my thoughts on this and believe the value and cost of a college education is not properly factored into the equation. The issue is that too many of these guys take that as a given. If you then taken into account all of the fringe benefits (academic and athletically) the student athlete has access to that are difficult to quantify it seems like a fair deal for both sides. Maybe if you actually had to pay a couple full cost four year tuition/room and boards you would realize how nice it would be not to have to pay for an out of state or private school of your choice.

This can go either way but I would just as soon see the NBA turn the G league into a full farm system so that those not interested in a college degree can just get on with trying to make a living playing basketball. The end of college one and done can't come soon enough for me. College basketball will survive either way and if the quality of play is slightly less that is fine with me. At the end of the day its Rutgers although I have to admit the trend in college athletics looking more like a professional operation is sapping some of my passion.

The NCAA and individual schools do themselves no favors by claiming poverty yet continue to bid up the prices of coaches and then eating significant amounts when they want to get rid of them. The facilities arms race also continues unabated. Whether the school or donor pays for the buyout gets lost in the optics just like the distinction between a NIL comp vs the direct stipend model. If the NCAA would have some success in penalizing those who cheat under the current rules, perhaps many of us would not be so fearful of the likely Pandora's box that would be opened if NIL was allowed. I am sure such a fear does not sit well with the students who want change but that is the reality.

Reactions: Wolv RU and RU-AGK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT