ADVERTISEMENT

GG to portal?

But this year is different in that Pike is supposedly giving the kids an early ultimatum. Who knows if he's giving GG special flexibility. But the longer it goes the more likely I think he stays.

Same. Don’t think Gavin wants to leave, but think he doesn’t want another season like this one - who can blame him…

Update: Oops.

Could be he’s waiting to see how the current 3 vacancies on Rutgers roster get filled. Think about it. If you were in his position, wouldn’t that be a factor? This is a kid who came in expecting to be a starter last year. He didn’t even beat out J Mike. Yeah I know he had some better games at the end of the season but that was when we had already packed it in. If your Gavin, you’d have to assume J Williams, Ace and Dylan are all ahead of you in the pecking order as well as the 5 spot (somebody has to play there at all times and it won’t be Gavin). So that leaves one starter position open.
He’s gone. Good riddance. A lot of hype for very little production. Will he be better next year? Sure but he’s most likely not the player we thought we were getting.

Reactions: SHUSource
Seems like the longer it takes to see Grffiths' name in the portal, the likelier it is that he'd decided to remain at Rutgers, no?
Whoops. Sorry, folks. If I could've waited another hour, I'd have had my answer.

Well, now that he's in, I'll say that the jury is still very much out on this kid. Clearly well overrated as the No. 23 recruit in the 2023 class, I considered him a stiff two months ago. That was also probably overstating it, because he began to look better late in the year. Look like a borderline five-star? No. But good enough to be a key contributor? Probably.

I think like Spencer, he might be able to thrive on a team where is the third or fourth best scoring option. He's not the same player as Cam, and I don't see the defensive capability, but if he gets clean, open looks, he'll get his points. Don't love him as much going to the basket, but Myles Powell wasn't much of a driver at first, either, and became very, very good at it. So maybe Griffiths improves, too. He's certainly got the height to drive. Is he tough enough? Didn't look like it to me. It'll be very interesting to see where he winds up. If he makes a smart choice, he has a chance to be good. If not, you might be laughing at him in two years.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
GG has a lot of potential. I want him here. Being with Dylan and Ace will be amazing for him. Again, he needs some bulk and he can finish at the rim. The guy is good.
You would think those two would either reach out to help retain if they want or not and he's gone. I would imagine they have significant impact on his decision.

yes except all intel we have says they wanted him back and were trying to get him to stay but go ahead run with this idea

The question is in what capacity did we want him back? He averaged 17.8 mpg with the bulk of his minutes coming late in the season when we had already packed it in (in multiple lopsided games) and early in pre-season when he was given an opportunity as a starter.

If word is we’re bringing in three veteran starters (including a center) with J Will, Ace and Dylan that would solidify spots 6 spots ahead of him. I’m not saying this is the case but right now we don’t know that it is not. Based on Gavin’s starting point as a recruit, I’d understand him not wanting to compete with Davis and the other 3 frosh for the 7th slot.

Whoops. Sorry, folks. If I could've waited another hour, I'd have had my answer.

Well, now that he's in, I'll say that the jury is still very much out on this kid. Clearly well overrated as the No. 23 recruit in the 2023 class, I considered him a stiff two months ago. That was also probably overstating it, because he began to look better late in the year. Look like a borderline five-star? No. But good enough to be a key contributor? Probably.

I think like Spencer, he might be able to thrive on a team where is the third or fourth best scoring option. He's not the same player as Cam, and I don't see the defensive capability, but if he gets clean, open looks, he'll get his points. Don't love him as much going to the basket, but Myles Powell wasn't much of a driver at first, either, and became very, very good at it. So maybe Griffiths improves, too. He's certainly got the height to drive. Is he tough enough? Didn't look like it to me. It'll be very interesting to see where he winds up. If he makes a smart choice, he has a chance to be good. If not, you might be laughing at him in two years.
Sounds more like GG doesn't want to be a 3rd or possible 4th scoring option (depending on who we portal in).

Sounds more like GG doesn't want to be a 3rd or possible 4th scoring option (depending on who we portal in).
Maybe so - but if you are the head coach, are you going to promise a guy coming off of that season to put the ball in his hands and say, go win us games? I know I'm not signing up for that. I'm doing what Pike said to Carino: looking in the portal for experienced, talented guys to fill out the roster around Ace and Dylan (and Jeremiah, Davis, Griffiths if he was still ALL IN), and we get to work.

Storr transferring from Wisconsin. Are the Badger fans in MELTDOWN MODE today about Gard?

Maybe so - but if you are the head coach, are you going to promise a guy coming off of that season to put the ball in his hands and say, go win us games? I know I'm not signing up for that. I'm doing what Pike said to Carino: looking in the portal for experienced, talented guys to fill out the roster around Ace and Dylan (and Jeremiah, Davis, Griffiths if he was still ALL IN), and we get to work.

Storr transferring from Wisconsin. Are the Badger fans in MELTDOWN MODE today about Gard?
Agreed, Pike should not have promised him anything other than a fair competition for minutes, starting etc.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
But this year is different in that Pike is supposedly giving the kids an early ultimatum. Who knows if he's giving GG special flexibility. But the longer it goes the more likely I think he stays.
I get it but what’s to stop anyone from saying he’s staying and then leaving at the last minute anyway. Unfortunately, that’s where all of this is going. Words will mean nothing.

this is bigger news to us than gavin leaving!
Storr is a difference maker scorer who would make all the chaos of players leaving quickly fade away.Rutgers should put maximum effort to get this player because his scoring along with Bailey and Harper makes Rutgers a potential top 25 team starting the season.

Storr is a difference maker scorer who would make all the chaos of players leaving quickly fade away.Rutgers should put maximum effort to get this player because his scoring along with Bailey and Harper makes Rutgers a potential top 25 team starting the season.
I’d be absolutely shocked if we can get anyone close to his talent from the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewbagel423
Yup, and it's part of the reason I always giggle when people are so sure guys will want to play with Ace and Dylan. If I'm a high level kid, my first preference would be to play against them to see if they are as good as advertised.

Play against them once or twice maximum, or play with/against them every day in practice and then with them in games. I know where my preference would be.

Yup, and it's part of the reason I always giggle when people are so sure guys will want to play with Ace and Dylan. If I'm a high level kid, my first preference would be to play against them to see if they are as good as advertised.

Or play against them in practice every day to get better…

Lol, whatever. This rubs me the wrong way more so than many other transfers. I don’t begrudge anyone leaving but saying all that stuff about how you will never transfer and then transferring makes you look like an idiot / not a man of your word.

I liked him / hoped he would stay but the bottom line is he wasn’t very good at the moment so whatever. Not that big of a loss and I imagine if he’s worrying about playing time he will be transferring down.

Now cue up all the stupid analysis about how having some 4* guy suck and then transfer is some terrible look in an era where like 65% of every team transfers. Yeah.. I’m sure this will move the needle lol.

Reactions: drewbagel423
I’d be absolutely shocked if we can get anyone close to his talent from the portal.
Too soon to say but lower level transfers won't make Bailey and Harper happy along with fans that want to see a special season.

Too soon to say but lower level transfers won't make Bailey and Harper happy along with fans that want to see a special season.
its kind of ironic that the only players assured of being on the the team at this time each year are graduating HS seniors who signed LOIs (if that’s even true anymore). With that in mind, what’s even the purpose of the LOIs anymore? Harper and Bailey (and all incoming freshmen) might as well just wait and enter the portal at the same time as everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT