ADVERTISEMENT

GG to portal?

There was more than one person on this board regretting his acquisition during the course of the season. Now we can't live without him??
Anyone regretting adding a highly thought of kid based off mid freshman year is a fool. No one said n you can't live without him, but going into a year where Pike needs to show he's good for high level recruits, losing the highest you've had previously in one year is awful for perception.

Reactions: RUbacker
I am not buying it until more reputable sources chime in
@RU72 posted this in February:
“Gavin will never be a portal kid. It is not who he is or who his family is”

This is semantics. Open jump shots were generated for other players. If, in your own theory, there is no system and it’s all freestyle then:

The fact that Andre Hyatt and Oskar Palmquist could get open looks but Gavin Griffiths couldn’t is itself an indictment of Griffiths.
Not true. Gavin was used differently much of the time, running the baseline back and forth from corner to corner so that when he did get the ball on rare occasions he was trapped.

Not true. Gavin was used differently much of the time, running the baseline back and forth from corner to corner so that when he did get the ball on rare occasions he was trapped.
They did that toward the end of the season to get him moving on offense. His off ball movement was non exisistent early on, as if he thought "if I stand here I'll get good shots". It also coincided w he and Oskar playing as big men. I took it as a way of helping the kid grow on the court.

yes ive posted before we needed to see more Gavin, where have you been.

Usually kids that play like “horror shows” get less minutes not more.

Those are your words (I believe) not mine. I actually was never that harsh on the kid.

He got 18 minutes a game (6th on the team). That seems pretty adequate for a kid playing like a “horror show” according to you.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Usually kids that play like “horror shows” get less minutes not more.

Those are your words (I believe) not mine. I actually was never that harsh on the kid.

He got 18 minutes a game (6th on the team). That seems pretty adequate for a kid playing like a “horror show” according to you.

So great..i love posters going through thousands of my posts to find negative comments. Guess what there were games where he was a horror show.. that game was one of them. I stand by that.

You can’t make statements like that anymore nor should anyone believe that especially coming from a third party.

Everything in this thread is from 3rd parties or outsiders. It's all speculation including the podcast. Although most posters here trend negative on most topics..... everything in this discussion is fair game.

So great..i love posters going through thousands of my posts to find negative comments. Guess what there were games where he was a horror show.. that game was one of them. I stand by that.

I didn’t go through any of your posts (someone else did that work lol).

Point still stands - in your own words Gavin was a “horror show” in a number of games.

Now you’re saying he should have gotten more than 18 minutes per game (6th best on the team).

These two thoughts seem wildly inconsistent and opposite of what one would expect.

Reactions: RUonBrain
lol that is really disingenuous. He looked at your game recap for a game he knew Gavin played badly in. He didn’t need to read all of your posts

According to Carino article: "Last year Pikiell promised Rutgers would push the ball and press more than in previous seasons, and both happened. It just wasn’t highly effective, mostly because the Scarlet Knights couldn’t hit layups, free throws or open 3-pointers."

According to internet trolls: Griffiths was misused and never got an open look because Pike and stuff.

GG had plenty of minutes given his performance.
Basketball is a team game.

If he leaves, he will do so because GG and his dad thought telling Gavin to run from corner to corner and hope that an out-of-control guard charging into heavy traffic will kick out to him was not a good way to develop his skillset.

I hope he stays because he will be a great player, but if he leaves, it's because Pike couldn't coach up an incredibly selfish team.

They did that toward the end of the season to get him moving on offense. His off ball movement was non exisistent early on, as if he thought "if I stand here I'll get good shots". It also coincided w he and Oskar playing as big men. I took it as a way of helping the kid grow on the court.
no, not just at the end of the season. We had three guards on the perimeter much of the time all year who could only score by driving, and Cliff down low. There wasn't anyplace for GG could be except running the baseline, as the other 4 on the court were very limited.

or perhaps he saw Pike play a bunch of untalented players ahead of him which hurt his growth early on...lets face it..noah, derek and hyatt were not good..and yes I include Hyatt in that

tough to develop when those players are your teammates and prioritized over you

what did noah or derek ever do to deserve those minutes. what did hyatt ever do to deserve to start

the whole strategy to this season was a mess

the fact that Pike brought back Hyatt and was using him a starter is a major red flag for me

I don’t disagree with any of this. However, none of it is a satisfactory explanation for his poor early season perimeter shooting outside of a small handful of games.

Pike gave him 29 minutes vs. Bryant. He went 1-7 from three and 2-11 overall. That’s not Hyatt and company’s fault. He should be able to do better than that in pure iso vs Bryant. 0-4 from deep vs LIU. 0-3 vs Stonehill. Yeah - we know the surrounding cast wasn’t good, but if your a clear liability on D - on the floor playing for your offense - you need to turn in better than that against those level opponents full stop - scheming doesn’t matter.

needs a different system, not a new system. But yeah, you understand how his ability wasn’t tapped due to shitty guard play.

Again - stop scapegoating the system and/or the surrounding cast for his offensive performances against low majors. He was just really bad.

I am not buying it until more reputable sources chime in
@RU72 posted this in February:
“Gavin will never be a portal kid. It is not who he is or who his family is”

Listen to Richie’s podcast. The kid is worried about PT next year as he should be if we succeed in bringing in a handful of proven players. It’s out there on the podcast for all to hear. This isn’t about a NIL check somewhere else which should come as no surprise. Gavin doesn’t have the resume for a big payday at this point. Those speculating otherwise are likely not correct.

world of warcraft legion GIF

Listen to Richie’s podcast. The kid is worried about PT next year as he should be if we succeed in bringing in a handful of proven players. It’s out there on the podcast for all to hear. This isn’t about a NIL check somewhere else which should come as no surprise. Gavin doesn’t have the resume for a big payday at this point. Those speculating otherwise are likely not correct.

Again - the podcast is pretty much speculation and mostly opinion on how Gavin might be thinking given the situation. Not sure why people continue to run with it as if its a fully baked decision.

Again - the podcast is pretty much speculation and mostly opinion on how Gavin might be thinking given the situation. Not sure why people continue to run with it as if its a fully baked decision.

Who is saying it’s a fully baked final decision? The podcast didn’t say that at all. But if your suggesting that the podcast is speculative about what Gavin’s concerns are that wasn’t my take. I’ll have another listen on my ride home from work later. My recollection is they specifically said “this one isn’t about NIL”.

Basketball is a team game.

If he leaves, he will do so because GG and his dad thought telling Gavin to run from corner to corner and hope that an out-of-control guard charging into heavy traffic will kick out to him was not a good way to develop his skillset.

I hope he stays because he will be a great player, but if he leaves, it's because Pike couldn't coach up an incredibly selfish team.
I'm not sure it was an incredibly selfish team. We had three guys in the top 23 in assist % in the conference and that doesn't include JWill, who also would have been there if he qualified.
It WAS very much a dribble dribble team instead of one focused on quick ball movement

Reactions: Eagleton96
Who is saying it’s a fully baked final decision? The podcast didn’t say that at all. But if your suggesting that the podcast is speculative about what Gavin’s concerns are that wasn’t my take. I’ll have another listen on my ride home from work later. My recollection is they specifically said “this one isn’t about NIL”.

It wasn't your post per say. Many are referencing the podcast as if the rumor is true as if first hand knowledge of Gavin's decision making process. My listen interpreted the podcast as mostly just a speculative discussion regarding Gavin's forthcoming meeting with Pike and his decision making process. No one aside from Gavin and his insiders would really know about why he would stay or leave .....i.e. NIL etc.

I'm not sure it was an incredibly selfish team. We had three guys in the top 23 in assist % in the conference and that doesn't include JWill, who also would have been there if he qualified.
It WAS very much a dribble dribble team instead of one focused on quick ball movement
And as we know, if the shot doesn't go in the hoop you can't have an assist. So that's more impressive given the historically bad team shooting.

I'm a Gavin fan and enjoyed his progression and think he has promise. But he is obviously still a work in progress. A few thoughts:

Gavin was one of the more selfish players. More than anyone else I think he's the one that, once he got the ball in his hands, he was going to drive or jack up a shot from 3. Part of that likely stems from the fact he was a rookie and the game was too fast for him. And, as with all of GG's play, things improved in the last 5-6 game stretch of the season. But nonetheless, anyone saying that he was underutilized or was the victim of selfish play is not processing what was happening in the games clearly.

In terms of GG leaving: it sounds like his main issue is underutilization. He isn't happy that Pike is planning to bring in players that would play his role and compete against him and he might not get a starting spot. If that's true I don't know what he's expecting. I can't think of a high major team where someone at GG's current level of play would earn a starting spot, let alone a guaranteed starting spot. At best he will be 6-7th man off the bench with a chance to improve. And forget about getting that role on a good team with aspirations. Does he want to drop down a level?

The only reason GG got as many minutes as he did this year was because we lost our two best guards late in the portal and there was a historic level of sucking on the rest of the team. I think GG is getting caught up in the wave of me me me that is sweeping college sports due to the portal and NIL and he's not interpreting his prospects and best interests right.

That stat is a function of the fact that the ball rarely was in the hands of our 3, 4 or 5.

I'm a Gavin fan and enjoyed his progression and think he has promise. But he is obviously still a work in progress. A few thoughts:

Gavin was one of the more selfish players. More than anyone else I think he's the one that, once he got the ball in his hands, he was going to drive or jack up a shot from 3. Part of that likely stems from the fact he was a rookie and the game was too fast for him. And, as with all of GG's play, things improved in the last 5-6 game stretch of the season. But nonetheless, anyone saying that he was underutilized or was the victim of selfish play is not processing what was happening in the games clearly.

In terms of GG leaving: it sounds like his main issue is underutilization. He isn't happy that Pike is planning to bring in players that would play his role and compete against him and he might not get a starting spot. If that's true I don't know what he's expecting. I can't think of a high major team where someone at GG's current level of play would earn a starting spot, let alone a guaranteed starting spot. At best he will be 6-7th man off the bench with a chance to improve. Does he want to drop down a level?

The only reason GG got as many minutes as he did this year was because we lost our two best guards late in the portal and there was a historic level of sucking on the rest of the team. I think GG is getting caught up in the wave of me me me that is sweeping college sports due to the portal and NIL and he's not interpreting his prospects and best interests right.
I respect your opinion here....but I disagree with a lot.

Maybe Gavin made selfish plays, but I don't think he is selfish at all. I think Gavin was told to shoot as much as he can and he constantly had pressure to produce to play. Also didn't help certain of his teammates froze him out .

As far as Gavin succeeding elsewhere and being a starter at a major conference team......I don't know if you put him in an Iowa uniform and gave him a starting spot that he wouldn't lose it. I don't have enough information to say he would fail. I think he would succeed as an offensive player at Iowa, but I don't know.

As far as GG getting caught up in the......... sitting on the bench most of the year and making no contributions in a winning game all year outside of Boston U has to scar you. He does not want to go through another year like that. If he can find a new beginning and a program that doesnt emphasize D as much he has a much better chane to succeed

I didn’t go through any of your posts (someone else did that work lol).

Point still stands - in your own words Gavin was a “horror show” in a number of games.

Now you’re saying he should have gotten more than 18 minutes per game (6th best on the team).

These two thoughts seem wildly inconsistent and opposite of what one would expect.
The real answer might be Griffiths was part of a roster with abysmal shooters and that his talent was still higher than his teammates.His performance seemed to improve somewhat at the end of the season but was still disappointing.A power conference team shouldn't be struggling to score 60 points with the 3 point shot a major emphasis in basketball.

I want Gavin to stay, but:

(1) he was not a five star

(2) you guys are in ****ing fantasy land thinking he didn’t get enough time this season. He was bad on both sides of the ball and got 18 minutes a game on pure potential alone
You want Gavin to stay but he sucks. 👍. Gotcha !

Yet you debate / argue with others who also want him to stay? LMAO!

Furthermore, Gavin didn’t play 18 minutes a game as his norm as you seem to indicate. He statistically averaged 18 minutes a game for the year with peaks of approx 20 minutes a game in the first 15 games or so /valleys where he averaged 8-10 minutes a game in next 12 games or so and then averaged approx 25 minutes per game in next / last 4-5 games.

Hopefully given how Gavin played at the end of the year in the last 4-5 games with the extended minutes which showed marked improvement-the potential for Gavin to be a solid player and be a fixture at Rutgers is more optimistic should he decide to stay.

No one is saying Gavin met expectations as he struggled mightily throughout the year - and though he has to be accountable - there were many other factors which have been discussed that contributed to his underwhelming play

Needless to say just as with Derek this year ( albeit he failed), Gavin will need to take the jump upwards in his sophomore season should he decide to stay !

I’m confident he will take the step up should he stay or leave for that matter !

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I wanted to see more Gavin early on, but he hit a stretch in the season where he was simply unplayable on both ends. He regressed and was a train wreck. Pike played him as much as he possibly could

Later in the year Gavin turned the corner defensively which lead to better play offensively and more minutes

If Gavin hits the weights and comes back strong next year, he could easily force his way into being a starter. The talent is there. Bet on yourself Gavin. Come back and take a starting role

Did you know once bac and roc were headed to Home Depot and Sweat Pea had the runs. They didn't want Sweat Pea going to bathroom in their car so they put him in a cage and strapped him on top of the roof Mitt Romney style.
Please leave me out of this thread. Oh and btw... it was from the Thanksgiving stuffing.

Bac and Roc dog incident​

(July 2022)
Bac dog incident
DateJune 1983
LocationBac' station wagon en route from Belmont, Massachusetts to Beach O'Pines, Ontario
First reporterReported by Neil Swidey in The Boston Globe in June 2007[1]
ParticipantsBac, his brother, and their pet dog Sweat Pea
During a 1983 family vacation, American bracketologis and @bac2therac drove 12 hours with his dog on top of the car in a windshield-equipped carrier.[1][2][3][4] This incident became the subject of negative media attention and political attacks on bac before the 1993 and 1994 NCAA tournament

Road trip in 1983[edit]​

In June 1983, the bac family left their Belmont, Massachusetts home on their way to bac's parents' cottage in Beach O' Pines, Ontario for an annual vacation along the shore of Lake Huron. Their dog, Sweat Pea, rode in a carrier on the roof of the family's Chevrolet Caprice station wagon for the 12-hour trip. Bac had built a windshield for the carrier to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.[1] During the 650-mile (1,050 km) trip, Sweat Pea got diarrhea. Bac first alerted to the Irish Setter’s bowel issues when Roc noticed brown liquid pouring down the back window, followed immediately by him and his younger brothers yelling in disgust. Bac stopped at a gas station to wash the dog, the carrier, and the car. With Sweat Pea back in the carrier, the family continued on their way.[1][2]

Sweat Pea the dog[edit]​

Sweat Pea, an Irish Setter, was an active, outgoing dog, and was the bac family's first pet dog.[5] It is generally reported that,[by whom?] a few years after his ride to Canada, Sweat Pea was given to his brother, roc of California, who said, "He kept ending up at the pound. They were worried about him getting hit crossing the street. We had more space, so he could roam more freely."[6] The dog's date of death is unknown, but Roc stated that Sweat Pea lived to a "ripe old age" on her farm in California.[7]
Two of Bac's heirs, however, are reported to have casually contradicted this, off record, saying Sweat pea actually ran away once the family reached their destination.[8]

Family response[edit]​

When interviewed by Chris Wallace of Fox News, Bac stated that Sweat pea enjoyed being in the dog carrier, an "air-tight kennel", and that he was not aware of any violations of Massachusetts law;[9] the state's animal cruelty laws prohibit anyone from carrying an animal "in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhumane manner."[10] In earlier accounts, Bac described a makeshift "windshield".[11][12]
Roc, bacs brother, has stated that the news media exaggerated the severity of the incident, and compared traveling in the roof-top dog carrier to riding a motorcycle or riding in the bed of a pickup truck.[5]
During an April 2012 interview with ABC News, Diane Sawyer asked the Bacs about Sweat pea and the road trip, and if he would ever do it again. Bac offered, "He loves it, it's his favorite." During the same interview, Roc attributed Sweat pea' troubles to eating turkey off the table.[13][14] Romney stated that he loved his dog.[15]

Other responses[edit]​

In 2007, Ingrid Newkirk, president of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), criticized Bac for the incident.[16] Responding to PETA, Bac said, "my dog likes fresh air".[17]
Newkirk has elaborated (speaking for herself rather than for PETA) that the Sweat Pea incident irritates her because "there are far more serious issues to talk about" regarding the mistreatment of animals.[18]
In 2012, post Dogs Against Bac protest outside the Westminster Dog show,[19] MacArthur Animal Hospital's Dr. Rawstrom was contacted by Slate about the plausibility of the Bac's claim Sweat Pea just had to poop in his crate. "They (dogs) prefer clean environments; that’s why one principle of crate training is to give them a space large enough to move around in but small enough that they don’t want to defecate inside.” She added Sweat pea' loose stool was likely indicative of "high levels of stress."[8]
During the2012 NCAA March madenss bracketlogist Jerry Palm aired an anti-bac attack ad that featured the story.[20][21][22]

You want Gavin to stay but he sucks. 👍. Gotcha !
Close. I want Gavin to stay but he suckED. I think he has potential. But he certainly wasn’t playing well last season.
Yet you debate / argue with others who also want him to stay? LMAO!

Furthermore, Gavin didn’t play 18 minutes a game as his norm as you seem to indicate. He statistically averaged 18 minutes a game for the year with peaks of approx 20 minutes a game in the first 15 games or so /valleys where he averaged 8-10 minutes a game in next 12 games or so and then averaged approx 25 minutes per game in next / last 4-5 games.
Seems like a lot of words to agree that he played 18 minutes per game.

Reactions: S_Janowski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT