ADVERTISEMENT

GG to portal?

He's pretty good...I'm sure there are plenty of teams after him.
If this is true, it hurts but it doesn't materially impact what we want out of the portal:
- A startiing Center
- A 3 point sniper
- A wing with length that can defend

The one thing I would say is that it probably means Pike will try to get Oscar to come back. Before I was thinking Oscar would be the final domino ahead of getting 4 new players from the portal. Bringing in 5 guys seems like it would take a lot of NIL money.

I actually think it potentially helps us in the short term, but not in the long term.

Gavin leaving would leave completely wide open the "3" spot for a potential transfer which could help us land a better player.

Long term this isn't...both because of what Gavin could become and the looks to the program

I actually think it potentially helps us in the short term, but not in the long term.

Gavin leaving would leave completely wide open the "3" spot for a potential transfer which could help us land a better player.

Long term this isn't...both because of what Gavin could become and the looks to the program
Agree - I'm not sure about next year but I feel confident GG will be a good Big 10 player in his junior and senior years. I think next year is when people with extra Covid eligibility finally cycle out. College basketball will get a lot younger just as GG is maturing into a solid player.

Gavin leaving only becomes a problem, if Rutgers can't land replacements in the portal. Schools all over - are losing young talented kids. Somebody will snatch Gavin from us. But can Rutgers snatch one from somebody else? If not, then yea we have a problem

You can't have your highest rated recruit bailing after a year because he doesn't think the staff can use him properly
Yup. Plus, he’ll need to get about 4 or 5 quality players out of the portal to be competitive next year. If Gavin leaves, right now we have 3 starters, no big men, and no bench. I have to believe, if Pike is getting that many players out of the portal, 2 or 3 will be Noah’s/Agees.

I hope he stays. I like his potential.

But with NIL, this is a time where a large number of players transfer out. It is essentially free agency every year. Nothing should be surprising. Nowadays, it seems like recruiting in the portal is more important than recruiting HS players.

It would be a major blow for several reasons
You choose not to elaborate so I'll speculate:

- It would mean his dad and Pikiell are at odds about how the kid was handled. Personally, I don't see that. The kid got more playing time than he deserved and clearly had a green light all season despite being mostly ineffective.

- It would mean he thought the locker room was toxic. If you watch the videos in the locker room when they would win, they all seemed mostly cool with each other. I don't see it. And even if that was the case to some degree, he'll have an entirely new set of team mates next year.

- It would mean we lose a major piece. As stated, it would be bad not to have him junior and senior year. But we really don't know how good he will be next season

Am I hot or cold?

He's running a business. If you want his insights, you should buy a subscription and go to the Round Table.
michael-scott-no-hand-gesture-p7iyykb88vqq4ks2.gif

- It would mean his dad and Pikiell are at odds about how the kid was handled. Personally, I don't see that. The kid got more playing time than he deserved and clearly had a green light all season despite being mostly ineffective.

- It would mean he thought the locker room was toxic. If you watch the videos in the locker room when they would win, they all seemed mostly cool with each other. I don't see it. And even if that was the case to some degree, he'll have an entirely new set of team mates next year.

- It would mean we lose a major piece. As stated, it would be bad not to have him junior and senior year. But we really don't know how good he will be next season

Am I hot or cold?
Maybe tepid.

Reactions: LeapinLou

Am I hot or cold?
He has zero insight on anything that is the day to day of the Rutgers University Men’s Basketball team. He is not even a season ticket holder and definitely not a graduate of the University. He has zero inside information and is currently watching 3 TV’s in his parents basement.

• Haha
Reactions: tm_nj
If the doubts are there, it might just be best for him to leave now, before we have another Mag situation on our hands next season. The way the portal/free agency is now, it's unrealistic to think ahead or count on a guy's contributions 2 years down the road.
If I had to guess, people have been getting in his ear about how he fits into Pike's offense. And that may be a reasonable concern for him. Guys weren't getting him the ball this season. With 2 elite offensive guys coming in, maybe he's worried it will be more of the same. I hope he stays, but the days of sticking it out and developing may be over.

Reactions: LeapinLou
@Scangg who started the thread on the RT.. unless you started the thread based on Premium info could you just share whatever you posted with us?

Am I hot or cold?
1. He was ranked 29th rated recruit. He is supposed to be groomed to be a professional basketball player. Pike killed his value, by not playing him. Pike should have known he wasn't the world's best defensive player. If he wasn't going to play him he should not have recruited him.

THAT IS FROM A PARENT AND PLAYER POV!!!!!!!!!!!

2. It was as clear as day to me that there were many issues from a locker room/chemistry POV. I am almost certain there were multiple issues with the team.

1. He was ranked 29th rated recruit. He is supposed to be groomed to be a professional basketball player. Pike killed his value, by not playing him. Pike should have known he wasn't the world's best defensive player. If he wasn't going to play him he should not have recruited him.

THAT IS FROM A PARENT AND PLAYER POV!!!!!!!!!!!

2. It was as clear as day to me that there were many issues from a locker room/chemistry POV. I am almost certain there were multiple issues with the team.
He played 18 minutes a game though and defense was not his only problem.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
It definitely wouldn't be a good look for the "insider reports" about GG getting a Rutgers degree and never leaving early.

@ru66 just another item in ledger.
Sorry but really don't why I get mentioned here. I have never commented about GG. Wait a light bulb went off -- will ru72 be wrong again?? Hope not.

Reactions: NickRU714
Just listen to the podcast that just dropped

So I listened to the podcast and sounds pretty much like the same opinion/speculation talk that you get on these boards, satellite or sports talk radio. He may go to the portal, but nothing I've seen is really more than speculation by outsiders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT