ADVERTISEMENT

GG to portal?

or perhaps he saw Pike play a bunch of untalented players ahead of him which hurt his growth early on...lets face it..noah, derek and hyatt were not good..and yes I include Hyatt in that

tough to develop when those players are your teammates and prioritized over you

what did noah or derek ever do to deserve those minutes. what did hyatt ever do to deserve to start

the whole strategy to this season was a mess

the fact that Pike brought back Hyatt and was using him a starter is a major red flag for me
Goes back to my thread “Gavin needs more touches”

Should Gavin leave , it’s a major indictment and PR nightmare for Pike and Staff.

You can’t have a 5* whose family was “ in love / strongly bonded “ with Pike now depart after 1 year.

Furthermore the continued lack of development of skilled players (add Cliff) is a major impediment / problem for this staff.

And to get down negatively on Gavin when he had no effective PG to set him up / had teammates that froze him out quite often and had to endure a dysfunctional locker room is very unfair.

Gavin is going to be a real good player. It ll be a shame if we lose him.
As usual - A drama queen with a Big East bias. Find another hobby dude. .

Caleb had an efg% of 49.2% his Freshman year and played 15 minutes per game.

For those keeping track at home that’s a (much) higher and lower number than Gavin’s, respectively
Thanks. Saves me the time from looking it up. But it's not just Caleb. Pick any RU frosh - Geo, RHJ, the Billets, Ricky Shields, Dahntay, Corey Sanders, Mack, Rosario, Douby, Jeff Greer, anybody - and find me first year shooting stats like GG. I'm not happy about it but the numbers are the numbers.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Goes back to my thread “Gavin needs more touches”
Do you think his shooting percentage would go up from 32% by taking more shots ? Or his foul shot percentage would improve from 60% if he just took more per game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAS61
Thanks. Saves me the time from looking it up. But it's not just Caleb. Pick any RU frosh - Geo, RHJ, the Billets, Ricky Shields, Dahntay, Corey Sanders, Mack, Rosario, Douby, Jeff Greer, anybody - and find me first year shooting stats like GG. I'm not happy about it but the numbers are the numbers.
One other thing. Caleb and Sanders serve as examples that you can't necessarily just take a guy's frosh performance and assume improvement the next year. Sometimes shooting numbers go down.

He’s a freshman. Some take longer to develop than others.

Towards the end of the season his play improved significantly

If you think Gavin was given every opportunity to succeed , you’re grossly mistaken.

He was pulled by every next tv timeout. Miss a shot - yanked ! Miss a defensive assignment - yanked. !

Yet Derek , Hyatt and others could miss shots left and right with no ramifications.

For freshman to develop , they need to play; they need to have upper classmen guide them and not to spurn them.

Further they need an offensive system to help them develop not the dumpster fire that we all witnessed.
If he was pulled after every missed shot, he was pulled a lot considering he led the team in shots per minute, except JWill. He also took some of the worst shots, and wasn't pulled. He usually got sat when he was terrible on the other end, not because of shooting.
He was awful most of the year against real competition, and did show some improvement. He needs to continue to get stronger and work on matching the speed of play. He should be fine in the long run, but worrying about his role is the wrong way to go about jt. If you don't play well, it will be the same anywhere he goes.

Reactions: S_Janowski
and thats the problem...id like a guy in the system who has been here and can be used after the sugar rush of ace and dylan leave. That Pike had a close relationship with Gavin for years and now he wants to bolt isnt a good thing, its not like Pike wants him to leave
How would like Bac to determine your future-- he turns on coaches and players on a dime. No loyalty--- if coaches, players and RU were to depend on him for real support they'd be up shyts creek.

How would like Bac to determine your future-- he turns on coaches and players on a dime. No loyalty--- if coaches, players and RU were to depend on him for real support they'd be up shyts creek.
Bac is the most notorious flip flapper I have ever seen on a message board.... it's comical.

1. He was ranked 29th rated recruit. He is supposed to be groomed to be a professional basketball player. Pike killed his value, by not playing him. Pike should have known he wasn't the world's best defensive player. If he wasn't going to play him he should not have recruited him.

THAT IS FROM A PARENT AND PLAYER POV!!!!!!!!!!!

2. It was as clear as day to me that there were many issues from a locker room/chemistry POV. I am almost certain there were multiple issues with the team.
At the start of the B1G schedule Gavin was over matched by many teams. Scrawny , weak, looked lost and honestly could not shoot as touted. That said Gavin has upside potential but needs to hit the weights and the dining hall

You can't have your highest rated recruit bailing after a year because he doesn't think the staff can use him properly
There was more than one person on this board regretting his acquisition during the course of the season. Now we can't live without him??

At the start of the B1G schedule Gavin was over matched by many teams. Scrawny , weak, looked lost and honestly could not shoot as touted. That said Gavin has upside potential but needs to hit the weights and the dining hall
Fair.

Stopped reading right there.

You either didn’t watch a single game this year or are just posting like a fool.
Does S stand for Smarty ? Show me video. You have no idea what wide open jumper means. Watch Purdue, Kansas, UConn, etc. pass and catch in shooter's pocket and uncontested shot. never had one.

The only uncontested shots GG ever took were from 30 ft because the that's all he could get in our miserable excuse for offense.

Show me video of what you call a wide open GG shot, Smarty.

Reactions: biazza38
Does S stand for Smarty ? Show me video. You have no idea what wide open jumper means. Watch Purdue, Kansas, UConn, etc. pass and catch in shooter's pocket and uncontested shot. never had one.

The only uncontested shots GG ever took were from 30 ft because the that's all he could get in our miserable excuse for offense.

Show me video of what you call a wide open GG shot, Smarty.
People had plenty of open three point jumpers even in our terrible offense. Even Gavin had some, and he would’ve had more if he hadn’t spent most of the season catching and launching contested ones from well outside the three point line instead of working to get open.

No one will disagree that the terrible state of the rest of our offense was a disadvantage but it was far from the only problem.

People had plenty of open three point jumpers even in our terrible offense. Even Gavin had some, and he would’ve had more if he hadn’t spent most of the season catching and launching contested ones from well outside the three point line instead of working to get open.

No one will disagree that the terrible state of the rest of our offense was a disadvantage but it was far from the only problem.
Same as the other guy....show me video with GG getting a good pass for a wide open jumper. Just one. GG didn't play great but he never had the chance to play to his strengths because the guards sucked as distributors, JWill included.

Hyatt got some open jumpers and made a decent percentage on those. Even Oscar had some open looks....I do not recall GG ever getting one. His job was to run the baseline to the opposite corner so the guards could drive to the hoops on the side he vacated.

Of course I know that....from a parent's perspective there is a different spin.

1. Certain players didn't pass him the ball
2. Coach did not run enough plays for him. Didn't make an emphasis as a team to get him the ball.
3. Coach didn't trust Gavin and he pressed because he knew he had to take shots quick to stay on the court.

My kid Gavin was a possible 2 and done. He was on the path to the NBA. His career was doing great until he went to Rutgers. Kids at Iowa succeed that play like Gavin. He needs a new system.

Of course I know that....from a parent's perspective there is a different spin.

1. Certain players didn't pass him the ball
2. Coach did not run enough plays for him. Didn't make an emphasis as a team to get him the ball.
3. Coach didn't trust Gavin and he pressed because he knew he had to take shots quick to stay on the court.

My kid Gavin was a possible 2 and done. He was on the path to the NBA. His career was doing great until he went to Rutgers. Kids at Iowa succeed that play like Gavin. He needs a new system.
needs a different system, not a new system. But yeah, you understand how his ability wasn’t tapped due to shitty guard play.

Same as the other guy....show me video with GG getting a good pass for a wide open jumper. Just one. GG didn't play great but he never had the chance to play to his strengths because the guards sucked as distributors, JWill included.

Hyatt got some open jumpers and made a decent percentage on those. Even Oscar had some open looks....I do not recall GG ever getting one. His job was to run the baseline to the opposite corner so the guards could drive to the hoops on the side he vacated.
Are you really saying GG did not get open shots? He had plenty of open looks, he just did not hit them.

Are you really saying GG did not get open shots? He had plenty of open looks, he just did not hit them.
Show video. Squared up, pass to his pocket. Never. Learn the game. Watch shooters on Purdue or Iowa and then tell me that GG gets those looks.

He’s not a good defender. We know that. But he was simply misused on O due to poor guard play or Pike’s strategy

• Haha
Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio

I’m not trolling through all the game video to try to find examples for you, come on, but also you’re kind of agreeing with me here. Other people were able to generate open shots in this offense, the fact that Gavin generated comparatively fewer (not zero, but fewer) was more down to the way he played than to a failure of the offensive system.

The major failure of the offensive system was that our players bricked a huge percentage even when they got good shots. Beyond that, to quality of shot generated, it was likely below average but not atrocious #300 level bad.

or perhaps he saw Pike play a bunch of untalented players ahead of him which hurt his growth early on...lets face it..noah, derek and hyatt were not good..and yes I include Hyatt in that

tough to develop when those players are your teammates and prioritized over you

what did noah or derek ever do to deserve those minutes. what did hyatt ever do to deserve to start

the whole strategy to this season was a mess

the fact that Pike brought back Hyatt and was using him a starter is a major red flag for me
Decided to pick a random game from the middle of the season where Gavin barely played, pull up your recap, and check what you had to say about Gavin. I picked Indiana (game 15) where you said:

“Unfortunately he [Oskar] got more time than Gavin who was simply a horror show. Just 5 minutes, 2 shot attempts, one a brick, the other and airball and back to the bench he went. I am more than concerned right now because he is becoming so bad right now that he cannot even give minutes.”

Do you think his shooting percentage would go up from 32% by taking more shots ? Or his foul shot percentage would improve from 60% if he just took more per game.
I’m a Gavin fan. I want him to stay and think he will be a good player in the long run. But if Pike had been giving more minutes and touches to Gavin in the middle of the season when he was struggling, the same posters wagging their fingers in this thread would have been going on and on about how poorly Pike is managing the rotation.

Decided to pick a random game from the middle of the season where Gavin barely played, pull up your recap, and check what you had to say about Gavin. I picked Indiana (game 15) where you said:

“Unfortunately he [Oskar] got more time than Gavin who was simply a horror show. Just 5 minutes, 2 shot attempts, one a brick, the other and airball and back to the bench he went. I am more than concerned right now because he is becoming so bad right now that he cannot even give minutes.”
Bac2....the old flip flapper. 😂

so what is your point, Gavin was a mess for large parts of the season...he got better in the final 5-6 games no coincidence because other players were getting benched. Totally misued this year but not the only one, the whole season was a mess for Pike

yet my main point remains, not a good look for the staff if they cannot convince Gavin to stay given their prior relationship and the fact he can actually contribute ALOT as a 6th man on what could be an exciting team. If he loses him he has to find another recruit and guess what Pike hasnt been all that great in getting them besides the ace/dylan which look totally nil/family driven. Thats why we were in this mess this season. Striking out on Jaden Jones, striking out on Griffiths, striking out on Simpson. Wolf, Oskar, Reiber, Miller, Chol. Yeah everythings fine, Hell RU didnt make the ncaa even with Cam last season because depth was a major issue....oh oop recruiting again. Pike just going to grab 3 portal players of very high quality, no worries

Last edited:
He played so many minutes and took so many shots considering how awful he was for most of the season it was obvious he was being groomed based on potential. I was rooting for him the whole time, and when he started to improve towards the end of the season it was really gratifying, and one of the few things I was following and excited about after the postseason hopes were gone. I’d feel really gypped if he left now after he was given so much time.

so what is your point, Gavin was a mess for large parts of the season...he got better in the final 5-6 games no coincidence because other players were getting benched. Totally misued this year but not the only one, the whole season was a mess for Pike
Totally misused? You mean as in instead of being used as a defender in a college basketball game he should have been a bullfighter saying ole! as the bull passed by?

I’m not trolling through all the game video to try to find examples for you, come on, but also you’re kind of agreeing with me here. Other people were able to generate open shots in this offense, the fact that Gavin generated comparatively fewer (not zero, but fewer) was more down to the way he played than to a failure of the offensive system.

The major failure of the offensive system was that our players bricked a huge percentage even when they got good shots. Beyond that, O.to quality of shot generated, it was likely below average but not atrocious #300 level bad.
No we are not agreeing. You say ‘other people generated open shots’. No, players don’t generate open jump shots for themselves. Impossible. Open jump shots are created for them via purposeful ball movement and unselfish play. Our offense didn’t have any of that. We were an isolation ‘beat your defender‘ offense without the talent for that.

We did nothing to free up GG for open looks. Nothing at all. On some other teams with a different philosophy he would have been much better on O. Not on D, but on O.

No one seemed to shoot more contested shots than him.

How was everyone else able to get open looks from 3 but he couldn't? He wasn't a good shooter that had to be shut down. We had players shot at a higher percentage who were able to get open looks.

I didn't see him make others around him better by drawing the defense and then dishing.

I didn't see any ability to get good looks when putting the ball on the floor. They were almost all highly contested when he shot off the dribble.

yet my main point remains, not a good look for the staff if they cannot convince Gavin to stay given their prior relationship and the fact he can actually contribute ALOT as a 6th man on what could be an exciting team. If he loses him he has to find another recruit and guess what Pike hasnt been all that great in getting them besides the ace/dylan which look totally nil/family driven. Thats why we were in this mess this season. Striking out on Jaden Jones, striking out on Griffiths, striking out on Simpson. Wolf, Oskar, Reiber, Miller, Chol. Yeah everythings fine, Pike just going to grab 3 portal players of very high quality, no worries
My point is you asked the question what did other players do to warrant their minutes. Why do you not ask that same question of Gavin if he was in your words “a horror show” who was “so bad he can’t even give minutes?”

If he weren’t suddenly considering transferring, would you still be saying that Gavin should have been playing more when he was clearly struggling on both ends of the floor? If Pike decided to play Gavin for 25 minutes despite being a complete liability on defense do you think we still hold Indiana to 57 points and win the game I cited above? If Pike decided to just punt on this season back in January and play Gavin for extended minutes instead of a lineup that gave us at least a chance to grind out some ugly wins with our defense, would your recaps at the time have agreed with that decision?

Reactions: RUonBrain
No we are not agreeing. You say ‘other people generated open shots’. No, players don’t generate open jump shots for themselves. Impossible. Open jump shots are created for them via purposeful ball movement and unselfish play. Our offense didn’t have any of that. We were an isolation ‘beat your defender‘ offense without the talent for that.
This is semantics. Open jump shots were generated for other players. If, in your own theory, there is no system and it’s all freestyle then:
We did nothing to free up GG for open looks. Nothing at all. On some other teams with a different philosophy he would have been much better on O. Not on D, but on O.
The fact that Andre Hyatt and Oskar Palmquist could get open looks but Gavin Griffiths couldn’t is itself an indictment of Griffiths.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT