ADVERTISEMENT

Gio Gives us the Best Chance to Win Now

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
Art is the future and would be a big help to recruiting, but if we want 6 wins, Gio gives us the best chance people seem to forget his first start two years ago when he racked up almost 200 yards in the first half before he injured his calf against a good Minnesota team . While Jerry Kill is a great guy, he had no business being a coordinator and McNulty will turn Gio into a very servicable QB . With an offensive line that always seems to under perform, having a multi dimensional QB like Gio gives us the best chance

Truly hope Art isn't hurt too badly but hoping this is a sign...This was always Gio's job, I am confident he will make us proud the next few weeks

Art is the future and would be a big help to recruiting, but if we want 6 wins, Gio gives us the best chance people seem to forget his first start two years ago when he racked up almost 200 yards in the first half before he injured his calf against a good Minnesota team . While Jerry Kill is a great guy, he had no business being a coordinator and McNulty will turn Gio into a very servicable QB . With an offensive line that always seems to under perform, having a multi dimensional QB like Gio gives us the best chance

Truly hope Art isn't hurt too badly but hoping this is a sign...This was always Gio's job, I am confident he will make us proud the next few weeks
He also gives RU the best chance to lose with his inaccuracy and decision making

Recignio has no business on our team. We need to play the better players and stop pretending this guy is a freaking QB!

Reactions: BlockR
I like go, but with a week's practice I think Lewis still play, at least some of the game.

Huh?? Who else is there? It’s Gio or...Gio. Art’s done for the winnable part of the season. Lewis can tuck and run, but can’t pass except for a long bomb to no one.

Gio has better mobility than Lewis and is way more accurate and makes better decisions. And as much as Art has a cannon for an arm, how many shots did he take downfield in 6 quarters.. It may very well be a function of our receivers still not developed, but for a run heavy Pro Offense and a really weak offensive line, having a mobile QB who can make short throws is better than a relatively immobile QB with a big arm who needs to do a lot of learning and has no targets down field to throw to and no line to protect him

Best case scenario we win 4 games. I think 2 or 3 is most likely at this point if Art is out any extended amount of time.

Gio has better mobility than Lewis and is way more accurate and makes better decisions. And as much as Art has a cannon for an arm, how many shots did he take downfield in 6 quarters.. It may very well be a function of our receivers still not developed, but for a run heavy Pro Offense and a really weak offensive line, having a mobile QB who can make short throws is better than a relatively immobile QB with a big arm who needs to do a lot of learning and has no targets down field to throw to and no line to protect him
@gef21 - how many years does it take to develop receivers? Please don't tell me 5 years for Rutgers.

Reactions: rurichdog
There's no game that Art wins that Gio can't win .Gio, with his experience and decision making, probably gets us 1 or 2 more wins than we would have with Art and his growing pains . As I said before, I hope Art is better and he is a great face for the future of the program, but our best chance for a bowl is G I O

We're not winning anything with Gio. Not happening. Plus, what good does winning four games instead of three do for us? If you want to play Gio for most of the next two while getting Lewis a few series while he gets much of the work in practice, fine. But putting him in there to stay regardless until Sitkowski can go is utterly pointless.

It's an easy question. If your whole season depends on ONE game, who do you want behind center . If you answer Art over Gio, you're just being delusional

Now if you want to build a program for the future and energize recruiting, it's a very different discussion

Gio has a lower ceiling but he can absolutely win next few games

A Lewis package is hopefully in the offing

No QB is winning with this offensive line unless they are super athletic like Johnny Manziel who just makes plays happen with his feet when nothing else is there...until they get this offensive line fixed it doesn’t matter...I said that all off season when everyone was so high on Sitkowski...

Reactions: LotusAggressor

If that is true, we should cancel the rest of the season. Gio is a D2 starter at best.

L O L

Sitkowski was no where close to being an issue today compared to the rest of the team. He looked decent out of the shotgun at the end of the second quarter. Receiver drops killed that drive. Washington had a nice ball tip off his fingers turning into an INT, Melton dropped a ball that was placed in the numbers.

The O line was absolutely and completely dominated by their D line. Blocking in general from every position group was awful. It's unbelievable how easy they shed our blocks and how hard it was for our D to shed blocks.

F*UCK YOU Night Shift!
Shut up, douche bag.
Let's revisit your contributions to this board:

Post by: jvgrad02, Today at 6:35 PM in forum: Rutgers Football

Post by: jvgrad02, Aug 18, 2018 in forum: Rutgers Football

Post by: jvgrad02, Oct 21, 2017 in forum: Rutgers Football

Pretty poor crowd

Post by: jvgrad02, Sep 9, 2017 in forum: Rutgers Football

-------------------------------
CONCLUSION- you represent the worst on this board. Never a positive word to say about our players or our team.
I stand by my original post:
SHUT UP.

Reactions: ru66
Shut up, douche bag.
Let's revisit your contributions to this board:

Post by: jvgrad02, Today at 6:35 PM in forum: Rutgers Football

Post by: jvgrad02, Aug 18, 2018 in forum: Rutgers Football

Post by: jvgrad02, Oct 21, 2017 in forum: Rutgers Football

Pretty poor crowd

Post by: jvgrad02, Sep 9, 2017 in forum: Rutgers Football

-------------------------------
CONCLUSION- you represent the worst on this board. Never a positive word to say about our players or our team.
I stand by my original post:
SHUT UP.
CONCLUSION. Do you even watch the games? What was positive about today? Please once admit you are seeing an overmatched team. Just once. This was Ohio State in a walk over of a D2 team.

Its pretty simple.

Gio: slightly higher (are we sure this is true?) chance of winning this year. Worse chance at wins next year and beyond. Gio will be gone and Lewis/Sit will have missed out on experience and growing pains this year. Reset QB position next year again with very little in game experience.

Sit/Lewis: slightly less chance of winning this year. Greater chance of winning next year and in 2020/2021.

It comes down to how successful you think a Gio team would be. Are we winning 7/8 games?

Gio stinks. Look at his stats. He stinks. Look at his ranking. He stinks. But, oh, he had this good half once. No. He stinks. Why do you think the staff keeps looking for someine, anyone else? Why do you think he had no other big time offers? He’s not good. Sitkowski is already better. Let’s hope that Sitkowski can play again soon and end the long run of bad QB play that has plagued RU for years.

Gio is not the answer. I don’t think selling out the future to try to sneak to 6 wins and a bowl game is worth the plan for the future.

I wanted Art pulled from the game today but only for his long term safety not because of his lack of skill.

This is why I didn't want Art to start until week three because I knew that O State could potentially hurt his development and that this board would start second guessing the coach decision after the game. I don't think we will be bowl eligible this year, so we need to play the young guys (Art and Jon)

Gio is not the answer. I don’t think selling out the future to try to sneak to 6 wins and a bowl game is worth the plan for the future.

I wanted Art pulled from the game today but only for his long term safety not because of his lack of skill.
Pulling your QB for fear of him getting hurt is a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: rutger80 and ATIOH
I missed most of the game as I was watching my son's HS team, St John's (#4 nationally) beat Miami Central (#11) 37-34 in 5 OTs in driving rain!!!

Saw the 4th Q and thought Gio made some good throws but receivers just didn't get enough separation...same problem as last few years. A seious talent deficit at that position. No Carroo or even Grant level talent

Reactions: winfield102
Obviously art has all the talent in the world. That said, The offense does not ask the quarterback to make any throws that Gio can't handle. That is a sad commentary on the offense, but we also don't lose much it appears by having gio under Center for that reason.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Gio stinks. Look at his stats. He stinks. Look at his ranking. He stinks. But, oh, he had this good half once. No. He stinks. Why do you think the staff keeps looking for someine, anyone else? Why do you think he had no other big time offers? He’s not good. Sitkowski is already better. Let’s hope that Sitkowski can play again soon and end the long run of bad QB play that has plagued RU for years.
Totally classless and uncalled for post.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
stand up guys when it comes to supporting RU? Nope I agree with Knight Shift--many on here just want to exclusively bitch and use the excuse that they are either "realists" or suffered so long---not true, many are not even "the glass is half full" type of people

Reactions: Knight Shift
I definitely am a glass half full person when it comes to Rutgers football. I don’t see how you couldn’t be and not be a masochist.

Gio is a captain for a reason, I don’t think he’s as horrible as he’s made out to be on this board. I would just rather wind 3/4 games and let Art get his lumps and learn than potentially go 6-6 with Gio, get crushed in a bowl game, and lose a year of development.

But McNulty wants Art. You say Kill as no business as a coordinator but he picked Gio. Go figure.

Last edited:
Totally classless and uncalled for post.
I'll, of course, defer to you on class. But the "Gio gives us the best chance" argument citing his past performance explicitly "called for" a response. It's not as if I opened a thread to randomly type this observation.

Obviously art has all the talent in the world. That said, The offense does not ask the quarterback to make any throws that Gio can't handle. That is a sad commentary on the offense, but we also don't lose much it appears by having gio under Center for that reason.
More importantly, with this offensive line you need a more mobile QB that can evade the rush and take off downfield like we saw Gio do, Sitkowski looks too much like a statue in the pocket...I was waiting for him to step up in the “pocket” if there ever was one or pull it down and make a play with his legs...but I’m not sure he is that type of QB

Sitkowski looks to be a good QB in a pro style offense but does RU have the OLine talent to run that kind of offense?

As I stated in another thread, the stated goal for this year is to get to 6-6. I presume that next years' goal is 7-5 or better. How can we possibly meet next years' goal without having a more experienced quarterback? We have no choice but to go forward. End of story.

Reactions: JCKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT