ADVERTISEMENT

Gio Gives us the Best Chance to Win Now

thanks for the all the good discussion...to sum it up the CONSENSUS it seems

a) People want to go with Art because it gives the best hope for the future and they want something to look forward to in 2019 and beyond, even if that means missing a bowl game. The only reason to put Lewis behind center is to develop a backup for Art the next 2 years

b) there are few if any throws that Art has MADE IN GAMES that Gio cant make. This is more likely a function of our WR not getting separation, and if we run a passing game with 95% of our throws under 20 yards, and probably more than half our throws under 10 yards, using Gio instead of Art, on a purely passing basis doesnt give us much of a drop-off

c) The mobility and willingness of Gio to take off and run cannot be understated. He is a far better runner than Lewis and more accurate, and Art is a pure pocket passer. Given that we have an o-line that is going to be over-matched in every game except Kansalo (doesnt sound as good as BuffNova), the added dimension of a mobile QB who will run 5-10 times a game, frees up a lot of things on offense.

so while I agree, that the ceiling for Art is way higher than Gio, no one should argue with his abilities as a QB. When he had receivers to work with - and I am talking C+ level receivers like Andre Patton and Jawuan Harris, he put up numbers that we would be doing cartwheels over. By all accounts, he is an exceptional athlete (he played WR in HS his first 3 years) and according to Ash, he progressed enough in camp to make it a tough call between him and Sitowski. We have seen Gio with 2 of the worst OC's Rutgers could have picked. - I for one am very curious to see what Gio can do with an OC who will fully utilize his strengths and make our offense more than serviceable

I guess when a person's internet name disparages a former player we should not be surprised when he calls out individual players saying the stink. Back in the TW days it was hard to get games on tv so I used to listen to games on the radio. Seemed every time he got the ball the sportscaster would call out in a high pitched voice 15, 20, 25, 30! He was exciting during a period with limited excitement.

I like Gio but lets not judge anyone's stats on this game. His completion rate needs work but he helps with his legs, like his third down scramble to get within field goal range so we didn't have the indignity of getting shut our for the third straight year. I would like them to spread the field more and call his number sometimes for a run to keep defenses honest and to get positive yardage. Art has nice zip on his passes on those quick outs, but I would go with Gio and have Art get a series per half, somewhat like what was done with Teel in RSFr year. If Gio plays poorly then go with Art with Lewis getting series per half.

Reactions: redking
. . . no one should argue with his abilities as a QB. . . .

You have an interesting way of going about a summation. And, while responding, note that I won't wax myself into faux outrage about your statements about past receiving corps, the offensive line, or the coaches, or that a QB who is dealing with an injury should be benched for another guy. Because, you know, I understand that this is how discussions of the relative abilities of players on your roster go.

I will say, however, that Gio's quarterback rating in each of the last two years did not come close to cracking the top 100 in D1. So, yeah, people will question his abilities. Those who don't, or who give reason after reason as to why those stats doesn't reflect his ability, should understand that they will be the ones rolling the stone up the hill, not those who say that he is not a good D1 QB.

As I stated in another thread, the stated goal for this year is to get to 6-6. I presume that next years' goal is 7-5 or better. How can we possibly meet next years' goal without having a more experienced quarterback? We have no choice but to go forward. End of story.
We're not making 6-6 this year, lucky to win 4

Reactions: WeSuckAsh
This week will give us a better understanding of who we are, who can do what, and where we are going.

The next 5 games will show us where Ash is going.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wrote this a week ago and it still remains true . Art isn't ready and our receivers aren't getting separation . Gio is our only chance to win

Reactions: zebnatto
This week will give us a better understanding of who we are, who can do what, and where we are going.

The next 5 games will show us where Ash is going.

Next 5 games? I think this one game sealed where Ash and this team is headed.

They don't even trust Art to throw so what is the sense of leaving him in the game. Gio can hand off just as well and gives us a running threat and better decision making

Obviously art has all the talent in the world. That said, The offense does not ask the quarterback to make any throws that Gio can't handle. That is a sad commentary on the offense, but we also don't lose much it appears by having gio under Center for that reason.

This was the most prescient quote in this thread. The coveted cannon of an arm means nothing if you can't read defenses, stare down receivers and constantly release the ball a second or 2 too late after a 5 step drop to the same spot every time .

I hate to say this and HOPE to be proven wrong but so far all we have is a QB who looks good in shorts and a t-shirt . He never won at Old Bridge where they ran a Wing T and lost the starting job at IMG because he just wasn't good enough . Does he have a high ceiling - YES, is he a great face for the program - YES. Is he ready to be an even Below Average P5 QB ...........

Reactions: redking
Obviously art has all the talent in the world. That said, The offense does not ask the quarterback to make any throws that Gio can't handle. That is a sad commentary on the offense, but we also don't lose much it appears by having gio under Center for that reason.

It’s not obvious.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Sitkowski was no where close to being an issue today ................

Are you fu**ing kidding? He was as bad as could be. Three of his first four passes could've or should've or were intercepted.His poor play is what put us in the hole.

Are you fu**ing kidding? He was as bad as could be. Three of his first four passes could've or should've or were intercepted.His poor play is what put us in the hole.
Just so you know we we're talking about the Ohio State game.

This Kansas game is a failure at every single level, and qb has been the worst.

Right on cue Art

A) Stares down a target

B) Delivers the ball 2 seconds too late

C). Throws into triple coverage with no pressure at all

Question is, do we just give up the season now and hope Art develops or do we play Gio against Buffalo next week and try and salvage the season . Is Ash coaching for his job if he wins 2 games and is pulling in a recruotore class in the 60s. I know Hobbs endorsed him before for all the right reasons, but if we get blown out by both Kansas and Buffalo, I find it hard to believe that recruits want to come here

Next 5 games? I think this one game sealed where Ash and this team is headed.

I agree terrible, terrible game. I think it shows that Artur is not ready and that he needs to be red shirting.

Here is my opinion on this and I am sure it will not be well received.

Ash has 1 full recruiting cycle under his belt, and he inherited a program that was a complete mess (believe me being involved in coached in NJ it was far worse than most people here know). We have a roster that is 75% sophomore or below, very young WRs and we tried to start a young QB. I do not care who we played Kansas has a great game plan. They stacked the box and said throw the damn ball. Those open vertical and post routes that we could not hit NEED to be hit in order for us to win.

I could give a much bigger break down, I could go into details (positive and negative) from what I see position wise. But I will end with this.

I want to see coaches get 5 years to really prove their worth. This lets systems, kids, and ideas be built into the program. Was this a bad loss? Absolutely. Is this bad for perception? Absolutely.

I may be biased because I coach in NJ, I know guys on staff, and have coached college ball but I seriously do not think many of you really REALLY TRULY know the extent that Flood destroyed this program. Flood set the program back a decade for what he did.

I want to see how they respond this week (emotionally, scheme wise, and player wise).

Now I have film to go watch and break down.

Reactions: sherrane
I agree terrible, terrible game. I think it shows that Artur is not ready and that he needs to be red shirting.

Ash has 1 full recruiting cycle under his belt, and he inherited a program that was a complete mess (believe me being involved in coached in NJ it was far worse than most people here know). We have a roster that is 75% sophomore or below, very young WRs and we tried to start a young QB. I do not care who we played Kansas has a great game plan. They stacked the box and said throw the damn ball. Those open vertical and post routes that we could not hit NEED to be hit in order for us to win.

I could give a much bigger break down, I could go into details (positive and negative) from what I see position wise. But I will end with this.

I want to see coaches get 5 years to really prove their worth. This lets systems, kids, and ideas be built into the program. Was this a bad loss? Absolutely. Is this bad for perception? Absolutely.

I may be biased because I coach in NJ, I know guys on staff, and have coached college ball but I seriously do not think many of you really REALLY TRULY know the extent that Flood destroyed this program. Flood set the program back a decade for what he did.

I want to see how they respond this week (emotionally, scheme wise, and player wise).

I wish you would give a much bigger break down. You are one of the best voices on this forum. You know your stuff, and you are not too emotionally invested--you are knowledgeable and rational.

The only thing I am not sure about is did Flood really set the program back an entire decade? And even if he did, there were more than a few head scratching decisions in the game day coaching.

Leaving Sitkowski in as long as they did is at the top of the list.

Burning time outs when they do not need to be burnt is another issue that continually repeats itself.

Seeing how they respond this week on all fronts will speak to what is left of the season, and perhaps Ash's tenure.

Art doesn’t see the field. He should be brought along slowly. I wouldn’t mind seeing him redshirt. I am surprised that we can’t create a functional offense with Lewis but if he is so bad accuracy wise then play Gio and try to show some level of competence and hope.

Reactions: Rokodesh
I wish you would give a much bigger break down. You are one of the best voices on this forum. You know your stuff, and you are not too emotionally invested--you are knowledgeable and rational.

The only thing I am not sure about is did Flood really set the program back an entire decade? And even if he did, there were more than a few head scratching decisions in the game day coaching.

Leaving Sitkowski in as long as they did is at the top of the list.

Burning time outs when they do not need to be burnt is another issue that continually repeats itself.

Seeing how they respond this week on all fronts will speak to what is left of the season, and perhaps Ash's tenure.

We have a very, very big game this week (me personally not just the Buffalo game). If I can get the time I will write a break down of some stuff I see.

I think Artur should have been red shirted from day one. I do not like starting freshmen QBs, with young WRs, a building line, and young RBs. I think that is a recipe for disaster.

Agreed. This is where the new redshirt rule comes into play where a player can take a redshirt year after playing in as many as four games. Artur has one more game. Play him against Buffalo or shut him down for the year now? You are banking on him making huge strides during this season if you continue to play him. The competition is getting tougher, not easier as RU's last 8 are against B1G opponents. Being able to play well against Texas State-level opponents is meaningless for the rest of the season if the past two Saturdays demonstrated his ability to play against P5-level opponents.

@gef21 while I respect your opinion as a coach, to say that Flood even set us back 5 years is ridiculous .Schools like Penn St that almost got the death penalty didn't even get set back 5 years. The administration, our reluctance to spend, the nuances of New Jersey and our desire to self hate where top kids can't wait to leave and coaches see Rutgers as a Scarlet headed step son is what sets us back . Pat Hobbs is a great AD and can barely make a dent as he swims upstream against the tide. Ash is a good man and I hope he gets it done but my guess is we are going to need a high charisma guy to get this rebuild going

Gio stinks. Look at his stats. He stinks. Look at his ranking. He stinks. But, oh, he had this good half once. No. He stinks. Why do you think the staff keeps looking for someine, anyone else? Why do you think he had no other big time offers? He’s not good. Sitkowski is already better. Let’s hope that Sitkowski can play again soon and end the long run of bad QB play that has plagued RU for years.
Again, put down the laptop Ms Sitkowski and go play catch with Arthur. (I refuse to call him by that stupid name you gave him) and PLEASE teach him to throw to you and not constantly at the garage where he knows you have no chance of catching it.

This.
From the stands I knew we were in trouble on the very 1st play.’
He overthrows a wide open Blackshear only 5 yards away from him in the backfield.

I’m sorry, but the question of Sitkowski playing another down is absurd. Period. But knowing Ash and now McNulty, that’s exactly what they’ll do. And Art will suck again.. and you’ll all agree until mid week and drink the koolaid again. Play Gio or Lewis but for God’s sake, don’t play the interception machine. I’m appalled by the delusion on this board.

@gef21 while I respect your opinion as a coach, to say that Flood even set us back 5 years is ridiculous .Schools like Penn St that almost got the death penalty didn't even get set back 5 years. The administration, our reluctance to spend, the nuances of New Jersey and our desire to self hate where top kids can't wait to leave and coaches see Rutgers as a Scarlet headed step son is what sets us back . Pat Hobbs is a great AD and can barely make a dent as he swims upstream against the tide. Ash is a good man and I hope he gets it done but my guess is we are going to need a high charisma guy to get this rebuild going

That's because PSU instead of getting 25 kids who were 4/5* talent, they were getting 12-15 4/5* talent.

The quality of talent didn't diminish, just the quantity.

This is my major issue with Ash. He keeps changing the offensive system every year.

Is the clock til a functioning offense supposed to reset every year? This is where I don't give him a pass - its his fault the offensive system has been changing. Year 3 of an offense should be able to show improvement.

This is my major issue with Ash. He keeps changing the offensive system every year.

Is the clock til a functioning offense supposed to reset every year? This is where I don't give him a pass - its his fault the offensive system has been changing. Year 3 of an offense should be able to show improvement.

Bingo.

If he wanted to run this Power Spread, after Mehringer did so badly with it, why not go out and try to find someone else who also uses that offense? Instead he does a 180 and finds Jerry Kill who wants (Or was told) to slow the game down to a crawl and pretty much just feature up the gut runs, and an incomplete pass on 3rd down. Then in year three he brings in McNulty to run a legit Pro-Style-esque offense.

I think the one thing that has been consistent is the poor OL play, and for that Blazek needs to be sent packing after this season.

Reactions: rutger80

He had to hire new OCs. Head coaches do not create systems and give them to OCs to run OCs bring in their systems.

I see your point but I disagree. Our perception was never that of PSU. PSU lost some players but brought in high level talent that RU never has ever.

Flood destroyed any depth we had, and created a toxic culture. PSU can recover from bad years because of national perception and support. We do not have national perception or support.

A coach needs to be here for 5 years minimum before we decide to move on. Hiring a new guy will start the process over. I want to see an OC here for at least 3 ears and a HC here for at least 5 years.

He had to hire new OCs. Head coaches do not create systems and give them to OCs to run OCs bring in their systems.

I realize that. But the coach picks the OC knowing what system they have experience with.

You're a coach so you would know better than me about what goes into implementing a new offensive system. And also that it takes time - can't expect immediate results in Year 1.

If you need to change OC, wouldnt it make sense to hire a OC that uses a similar system to the prior OC?

How long would you estimate it takes to change systems? Ive assumed a couple years at least to see results - new plays, terminology, techniques, recruiting, conditioning.

I keep thinking to Babers at Syracuse saying to wait 1.5 years to see offensive results from his system.

Doesn't the clock on that 2-3 years get reset each time a totally different OC (DM to JK to JM) is brought in?

Start Art with a firm plan to bring in Lewis for series 2 or 3 (or all of 2Q).... not "waiting till the situation is right".... a little platooning may be what we need right now.....

Gef, I'll concede football knowledge to you but disagree with your opinion on the state of the program. Laviano was returning having completed 60% of his passes the previous season with 16TD 12Int - not bad playing 8 Big Ten games, most where we were outmatched as a team. We had three good running backs in Martin, Hicks and Goodwin and three decent WR"s in Harris, Patton and Grant. The Oline had Cole, Muller, Nelson, Miller, Applefield, some others, not work beaters but better than MAC level. Flood lost his dbacks in 2015 and went 4-8 with three losses by 7 or less, and was beat up by the BIG bluebloods. Ash comes in, to replace a marginal coach, and proceeds to go 2-10 and gets shellacked by the bluebloods with four shutouts. Our inept offense could not score and made our D play most of the game. It was an atrocious coaching performance in 2016. Now in 2018 we are still getting shellacked and the majority of the defensive starters are Flood recruits, refuting the empty cupboard refrain. The current team has an average recruiting rank of about 60 (guessing) but the team is ranked well over 100. Coaching is the problem and it has gotten worse with Ash.

I see your point but I disagree. Our perception was never that of PSU. PSU lost some players but brought in high level talent that RU never has ever.

Flood destroyed any depth we had, and created a toxic culture. PSU can recover from bad years because of national perception and support. We do not have national perception or support.

A coach needs to be here for 5 years minimum before we decide to move on. Hiring a new guy will start the process over. I want to see an OC here for at least 3 ears and a HC here for at least 5 years.
I agree with your point about giving Ash more time, (though at this point going beyond year 4 might be too much too ask), but in year 3 of Ash's tenure we just got destroyed by Kansas. Kansas!! I don't want to hear about the coach from 3 years ago.

The idea that Flood brought this team down to a subterranean level reminds me of the Kenny Parker effect. Where we had kids with ribs sticking out right through their skin. Where Ash was going to come in, give them food cards and a couple jugs of water a day, and Parker would have them lift weights in such a way that we would see these amazing results. Sorry but we are not seeing amazing results.

Next up is Buffalo. We are underdogs, at home. Again I don't want to hear about how Flood ripped us down to such a level that in year 3 of the new regime we can't beat Buffalo.

If Ash can't get us to the point where we are not being destroyed by the likes of Kansas, or we can't beat Buffalo at home, we might need to move on before we get to that 5th year.

So bottom line, start Gio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT