ADVERTISEMENT

Goodale; Some thoughts

However, I do think that our coaching staff is not on par with other Big Ten programs and it could hold us back in the future. A coaching staff that all have credentials similar to Pritzlaff will attract more of those blue chip recruits. How long will Pritzlaff stick around before a top 25 program makes him an offer he cant refuse? I believe I heard his name come up in the past for the Iowa State and Northwestern positions.

Donny is an amazing coach. My son did one of the youth programs and I was struck by how good of a teacher Donny is as well as how well he interacted with the kids (my son is shy and usually doesn't warm up quickly, but he really took to Donny).

I hope he sticks around for a long time

I'm an outsider but have followed wrestling all my life. I just bought season tickets for the first time.

What I do not get is why we denigrate the coach of probably the most successful program on campus. I do not know anything about Goodale but I do know that what he has done is amazing and one reason I bought season tickets.

Rutgers fans are the toughest in the land.

Bill, would love to meet you at one of the meets - I'm a newbie but probably older than you.

I'm an outsider but have followed wrestling all my life. I just bought season tickets for the first time.

What I do not get is why we denigrate the coach of probably the most successful program on campus. I do not know anything about Goodale but I do know that what he has done is amazing and one reason I bought season tickets.

Bill, would love to meet you at one of the meets - I'm a newbie but probably older than you.

Maybe I missed it, but what RU fan is denigrating Coach G ? IMO, Coach G is a super bargain at the 125 or 150K that he is being paid. He gets basically the same revenue crowd that MBB and WBB get , yet is paid about 1/5 of their salaries.

Reactions: dollarbill
RUOHIO69
I doubt it. I will be 76 on September 26. Love to meet you or anyone else interested in RU wrestling. My tickets are matside 36, 37 and 38. Stop by!

RU Spider started off this post and I assume a RU fan. Maybe, its me but if I am Coach Goodale and hear:

1. there is a lot of debate whether Goodale is right coach to bring Rutgers to top level - I must have missed that debate - aren't we at top level?
2. textbook case of right place at right time for original hire - maybe he was lucky in that respect but has he just been lucky to continue us to our prominence
3. does not have the credentials now to even be an assistant coach - if that is not demeaning - what does it matter about his original credentials so long as successful now
4. good fortune to get job because of Winston family - again, it's all about luck - you can't be lucky that long
5. he was a public school teacher - so - what does that mean - I do not care if he was janitor - I love how he turned this program

Maybe its only one RU fan but still hard to read with such a successful coach.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Before Pritzlaff joined the staff at Rutgers, Goodale had exactly 1 AA in seven years and that didn't happen until his seventh year. In the three years Pritzlaff has been on the staff, Rutgers has five AA. Just a coincidence, I guess.

Recruiting quality coaches is almost as important as recruiting quality wrestlers, and doing so on a shoe string budget is even more challenging. Hats off to Coach G for getting Pritzlaff in the RU staff.

Joe Dubuque at Princeton also very impressive. I remember when both Pritzlaff and Dubuque were in HS around the same time. Saw at the Regions, then States . Both have had terrific careers in HS, then College. Both will become Head Coaches in College no doubt.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Joe Dubuque at Princeton also very impressive. I remember when both Pritzlaff and Dubuque were in HS around the same time. Saw at the Regions, then States . Both have had terrific careers in HS, then College. Both will become Head Coaches in College no doubt.

I coached against Dubuque at the junior high school level and totally did not see him achieving what he did based on what he looked like then. He has been extremely impressive.

Before Pritzlaff joined the staff at Rutgers, Goodale had exactly 1 AA in seven years and that didn't happen until his seventh year. In the three years Pritzlaff has been on the staff, Rutgers has five AA. Just a coincidence, I guess.
stupid comment. no one is saying Pritzlaff didn't help the program.

Reactions: jerzey devil
Stupid comment. The program established itself as a good dual meet program. We were finally able to compete with schools like Lehigh,

Goodale also saw we were plateauing & was trying for a few years to fix the issue.
When was the third year that Rutgers beat Lehigh? 2016, 2013 and ?

Some of these PSU guys are going into withdrawal without the Suriano transfer rumor to endlessly debate. Funny thing though, is with all of their endless talk concerning the Big Ten transfer rule, and how there was no way Suriano would qualify for a waiver, none of them seem to have connected the dots yet.

If I were them, I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about what was going on at PSU that caused the conference to throw the transfer rule in the trash than I would be about the Rutgers head coach credentials.

Last edited:

Never take the view of a few posters and extrapolate that to the fan base. The haters often bark the loudest.
Overall, the Rutgers fan base loves Scott, loves what he is done for the program and you know, this guy will always have a special place in every Rutgers wrestling fans' heart. Always.

This is an interesting thread, you have the classic RU beating up their own, joined by our new PSU visitors/hecklers, but the reality is the program is at a crossroads and the recent developments have been mixed.

The Suriano pickup is great news but his primary decision was to get away from PSU. He didn't give this staff any consideration a year ago. I haven't heard the background on Glasgow but it looks like an academic issue the staff should have known about. If its not academics that means the kid changed his mind, which also wouldn't reflect well on the staff.
The jockeying to fill spots because of the Ashnault injury shows there's not enough depth on the roster. Paetzal leaving was not good at all, the type of kid successful programs keep around to build quality depth. He left RU to go somewhere he also will have to compete for a spot... so why couldn't they convince him to stick with this team? That too doesn't reflect well on the staff.

The point is if the team doesn't continue to improve, or even takes a step back, many will be ready to pounce, no matter how much good SG accomplished in the pre-B1G years. Welcome to NJ.

Some of these PSU guys are going into withdrawal without the Suriano transfer rumor to endlessly debate. Funny thing though, is with all of their endless talk concerning the Big Ten transfer rule, and how there was no way Suriano would qualify for a waiver none of them seem to have connected the dots yet.

If I were them, I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about what was going on at PSU that caused the conference to throw the transfer rule in the trash than I would be about the Rutgers head coach credentials.
It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together, based on the latest interview from Nick.

I've said it before, but go back and watch the post-match interviews of our five champions, and compare it to the latest Suriano interview. Or, if you can, watch the Penn State team interaction when wrestler introductions were made last season. For whatever reason, it didn't appear that Nick was a good fit for Penn State's program and Penn State didn't appear to be a good fit for Nick. Probably never was, and the injury exacerbated it.

And, I have no concerns whatsoever about what is going on at PSU. With the 2018 recruiting class of overall numbers 3, 4, 5, 7, 11 and 13, it doesn't appear that there's too much wrong, except for one guy.

This is an interesting thread, you have the classic RU beating up their own, joined by our new PSU visitors/hecklers, but the reality is the program is at a crossroads and the recent developments have been mixed.

The Suriano pickup is great news but his primary decision was to get away from PSU. He didn't give this staff any consideration a year ago. I haven't heard the background on Glasgow but it looks like an academic issue the staff should have known about. If its not academics that means the kid changed his mind, which also wouldn't reflect well on the staff.
The jockeying to fill spots because of the Ashnault injury shows there's not enough depth on the roster. Paetzal leaving was not good at all, the type of kid successful programs keep around to build quality depth. He left RU to go somewhere he also will have to compete for a spot... so why couldn't they convince him to stick with this team? That too doesn't reflect well on the staff.

The point is if the team doesn't continue to improve, or even takes a step back, many will be ready to pounce, no matter how much good SG accomplished in the pre-B1G years. Welcome to NJ.
Don't forget Giraldo leaving the team.

stupid comment. no one is saying Pritzlaff didn't help the program.

Clearly. Otoh, one AA in seven years before Pritzlaff and five AA in the three years since Pritzlaff joined the staff speaks volumes as to who is responsible for the recent relative success of the program.

Clearly. Otoh, one AA in seven years before Pritzlaff and five AA in the three years since Pritzlaff joined the staff speaks volumes as to who is responsible for the recent relative success of the program.

It really doesn't matter

The job of a head coach, like the job of a CEO, is to put together the best possible group of people and get out of their way.

The best boss I had was - bit of a dope (a fact of which he was aware), but hired the right people, treated them well, gave them what they needed to succeed, and as a result, he was extremely successful

Goodale is no dope

You should be giving him props for bringing in Donny

We get it Matter you dont like Goodale and do not think he is a good coach. Give it a rest. The addition of Pritzlaff has been huge the last 3 years.....So has 9.9 Schollys(when Goodale took over it was about 4.5), getting fully funded for out of state schollys(in the last two years) and joining the BigTen conference 3 years ago. Those have also contributed to the recent AA's

It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together, based on the latest interview from Nick.

I've said it before, but go back and watch the post-match interviews of our five champions, and compare it to the latest Suriano interview. Or, if you can, watch the Penn State team interaction when wrestler introductions were made last season. For whatever reason, it didn't appear that Nick was a good fit for Penn State's program and Penn State didn't appear to be a good fit for Nick. Probably never was, and the injury exacerbated it.

And, I have no concerns whatsoever about what is going on at PSU. With the 2018 recruiting class of overall numbers 3, 4, 5, 7, 11 and 13, it doesn't appear that there's too much wrong, except for one guy.

So the BIg Ten waived the rule because he was unhappy and didn't fit in? What about all of you guys on this message board endlessly proclaiming that would never happen? What about Cael's trip to NJ? I thought you needed a legitimate issue to get a waiver, and NS didn't have one? Is all of that forgotten now?

So the BIg Ten waived the rule because he was unhappy and didn't fit in? What about all of you guys on this message board endlessly proclaiming that would never happen? What about Cael's trip to NJ? I thought you needed a legitimate issue to get a waiver, and NS didn't have one? Is all of that forgotten now?
You'd have to go back and show me where we said it would never happen, as opposed to saying there was no precedent for it. What I'm guessing is that Cael, being the good guy he is, gave his blessing, so the B1G would rubber stamp it. That's how it works, right? You guys should be more appreciative of Cael.

ignorant statement. Before Goodale Rutgers was not competitive in the EIWA. they took huge strides under his initial tenure. just looking at AAs is cherry picking.

You'd have to go back and show me where we said it would never happen, as opposed to saying there was no precedent for it. What I'm guessing is that Cael, being the good guy he is, gave his blessing, so the B1G would rubber stamp it. That's how it works, right? You guys should be more appreciative of Cael.

Lol. You guys are a real piece of work. I'm surprised you are even still here. Surely someone, somewhere on the internet is criticizing Franklin's icing of the Ga. St. kicker and needs to be shouted down with your cult's version of the "truth" of that situation.

This post is neither an endorsement or an indictment of Coach Goodale. Undeniably, there has been a lot of debate as to whether Goodale is the right coach to bring Rutgers to the top level. Of course this debate exists due to the progress of the program under Goodale's leadership.

Goodale is a textbook example of being in the right place at the right time. Today, a coach with Goodale's credentials (when he was hired by Rutgers) would not be considered for an assistant's position much less a head coach job in the Big10. Due to the good fortune of the Winston family moving to Jackson Goodale offered several things to Rutgers. Obviously, the ability to sign Scott Winston was a major factor in Goodale's hiring. Also, at the time Rutger's was not looking to invest in wrestling. Goodale was a public school teacher and did not command or request a large salary. The program struggled for years under Goodale and despite landing its fair share of top talent failed to produce any AA's. It is said that Perrotti's AA saved Goodale's job.

Fast forward - Rutger's joins the Big 10. Donny Pritzlaff is hired. In comes Anthony Ashnault, followed by a top ten class and Nick Suriano. Rutger's is on the rise and it is under Goodale's leadership. Goodale will never have the technical chops of other Big10 coaches but he has lead the program into top ten territory. It appears that Rutger's has formula for success, Goodale as the manager and Pritzlaff as the wrestling guy. Can this formula make Rutgers a perennial top five team?

You referenced Goodale coaching at High School as if there was a negative inference for HS coaches succedding. Attached is a list of sucessful coaches who started on HS level. Sure it's a tough grind to find the right fit and make the jump and there might be timing and good fortune involved for any coach jumping from HS to college or pros, but it has been done before and coaches have been successful on many occasions. Also, each individual worked hard prior for the opportunity to jump up a level in order to have skill sets necessary to succeed once they were at higher level. Once they opportunity was available they seized it. The coaches also continued their growth after years of experience on the job. Life is full of individals being at the right time and right place for an upgrade in position and responsibilities, but those individauls have to have the skill sets succeed and run with the opportunity. Goodale ran with his opportunity.

https://coachtube.com/football/articles/10-nfl-college-head-coaches-got-start-high-school-football

Reactions: PSUPOWER
Lol. You guys are a real piece of work. I'm surprised you are even still here. Surely someone, somewhere on the internet is criticizing Franklin's icing of the Ga. St. kicker and needs to be shouted down with your cult's version of the "truth" of that situation.
I'm going to do my best not to be snarky about an RU guy talking about football. No, I don't get involved in football discussions.

Now that I'm agreeing with you, Politi, et al, that Cael's blessing carries the weight of scripture with the B1G, you're still not happy?

I'm going to do my best not to be snarky about an RU guy talking about football. No, I don't get involved in football discussions.

Now that I'm agreeing with you, Politi, et al, that Cael's blessing carries the weight of scripture with the B1G, you're still not happy?

Me? I am very happy. Happy to support RU wrestling during this awesome time, and happy to support RU athletics in general. I am also happy to talk about football. Its not like because Rutgers is bad we can't talk about it. I know you guys have an issue with admitting fault, but I am able to recognize both that our program sucks right now, and that PSU's head coach is a massive douche, and probably a terrible person. Just like that other coach you had.

As to Cael's blessing, the reports were simple. If Cael gave it, approval of the waiver was extremely likely. By his own words, Cael didn't give it. As a result, most Rutgers people said the transfer was extremely unlikely. Then, they had the hearing. And out of nowhere, the Big Ten approved the waiver. Wow! Crazy, right?

Even more crazy is no one from PSU being concerned about why all of the sudden, the Big Ten simply set aside the rule. What exactly was said to that committee about the real reasons for transfer? If you think they reversed course on a rule, despite no showing of hardship other than he "wanted to go to RU" I think you are crazy. I thnk most PSU fans recognized this before the hearing...the posts are all in the system if you want to look. Like you guys all said, he was free to go to any non Big Ten school -- but if he wanted to go to a Big Ten school, he had to sit. Rules are rules.

Given the result, from where I sit, I think its common sense that the allegations had to be serious for the Big Ten to just put the rule aside. If I were a PSU fan, I'd be pretty glad that the real reasons haven't come out.

My impression of the Rutgers program is that in the early Goodale years success would be measured by dual wins and getting some qualifiers into the NCAAs which was not a regular ocurrence at Rutgers. Thought of AAs and championships was only a pipe
dream.

In 2008, there were only 2 qualifiers and in 2009 there were 3.
In 2016 there were 10 and 2017 there were 8.
Based on just getting NCAA qualifiers, there has been a huge improvement in results and in expectations.
The target now is AAs and possible championships, not getting a 3rd or 4th wrestler getting to the NCAAs.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Me? I am very happy. Happy to support RU wrestling during this awesome time, and happy to support RU athletics in general. I am also happy to talk about football. Its not like because Rutgers is bad we can't talk about it. I know you guys have an issue with admitting fault, but I am able to recognize both that our program sucks right now, and that PSU's head coach is a massive douche, and probably a terrible person. Just like that other coach you had.

As to Cael's blessing, the reports were simple. If Cael gave it, approval of the waiver was extremely likely. By his own words, Cael didn't give it. As a result, most Rutgers people said the transfer was extremely unlikely. Then, they had the hearing. And out of nowhere, the Big Ten approved the waiver. Wow! Crazy, right?

Even more crazy is no one from PSU being concerned about why all of the sudden, the Big Ten simply set aside the rule. What exactly was said to that committee about the real reasons for transfer? If you think they reversed course on a rule, despite no showing of hardship other than he "wanted to go to RU" I think you are crazy. I thnk most PSU fans recognized this before the hearing...the posts are all in the system if you want to look. Like you guys all said, he was free to go to any non Big Ten school -- but if he wanted to go to a Big Ten school, he had to sit. Rules are rules.

Given the result, from where I sit, I think its common sense that the allegations had to be serious for the Big Ten to just put the rule aside. If I were a PSU fan, I'd be pretty glad that the real reasons haven't come out.
Because you know the real reasons, right? If the relationship between Mr. Suriano and Cael was as soured as it appeared to be, and Nick pretty much backed that up with his "opportunity stripped from me" interview, then don't you think it would have come out by now? I mean social media, being what it is today, word of mouth would have had it out there, without a doubt. You even have an insider on this board that could just report the issue. Or, if you knew, you'd be spouting off.

Here's the general gist of what I think happened.

Nick was having a great season and got injured. The PSU doctors thought he should have surgery and wouldn't clear him to wrestle. Mr. Suriano found a doctor that said Nick wouldn't do any further damage to the ankle, but the PSU docs still wouldn't clear him. PSU then has two freshmen national champs who get additional scholly money for their NC's, which further infuriates Mr. Suriano. They threaten to leave, things get ugly, Cael realizes Nick is good as gone, and offers the release, but no RU-fan mythical, magical rubber stamp blessing.

Now, Mr. Suriano still needs the waiver. So, he threatens a lawsuit against the B1G. The B1G wants to preserve the transfer waiver rule as much as they can, so they grant the waiver.

Lots of speculation there, but all of the pieces fit. So, once again, color me not worried one bit about what transpired.

ignorant statement. Before Goodale Rutgers was not competitive in the EIWA. they took huge strides under his initial tenure. just looking at AAs is cherry picking.

And the fact that Wisconsin has gone downhill since Pritzlaff left there is just another irrelevant fact to you also, I am sure. I would posit this: the Rutgers program would suffer much more from the loss of Pritzlaff than it would from the loss of Goodale.

And the fact that Wisconsin has gone downhill since Pritzlaff left there is just another irrelevant fact to you also, I am sure.
another stupid comment. at no point did I ever say Pritzlaff was not a great coach or a huge contributor to the team's success. quit making stupid comments, this is getting annoying.

Because you know the real reasons, right? If the relationship between Mr. Suriano and Cael was as soured as it appeared to be, and Nick pretty much backed that up with his "opportunity stripped from me" interview, then don't you think it would have come out by now? I mean social media, being what it is today, word of mouth would have had it out there, without a doubt. You even have an insider on this board that could just report the issue. Or, if you knew, you'd be spouting off.

Here's the general gist of what I think happened.

Nick was having a great season and got injured. The PSU doctors thought he should have surgery and wouldn't clear him to wrestle. Mr. Suriano found a doctor that said Nick wouldn't do any further damage to the ankle, but the PSU docs still wouldn't clear him. PSU then has two freshmen national champs who get additional scholly money for their NC's, which further infuriates Mr. Suriano. They threaten to leave, things get ugly, Cael realizes Nick is good as gone, and offers the release, but no RU-fan mythical, magical rubber stamp blessing.

Now, Mr. Suriano still needs the waiver. So, he threatens a lawsuit against the B1G. The B1G wants to preserve the transfer waiver rule as much as they can, so they grant the waiver.

Lots of speculation there, but all of the pieces fit. So, once again, color me not worried one bit about what transpired.
More fantasy from the fan base that lives in the fantasy world. While you are spinning fantasy tales about the virtues of Cael lets hear your arguments for re-erecting the statue of Papa Joe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT