ADVERTISEMENT

Graduate transfers and JUCOs

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Should we expect to see graduate transfers and JUCOs to bolster the roster? Players who are mature and can come in and contribute without taking a redshirt season on the sideline.

xTiTnojaR9UwAQSxXy.gif

Oh God, yes please!! Without a steady diet of JUCO and Grad Transfers, it might be 3- 4 years before we make it back bowling.

Oh God, yes please!! Without a steady diet of JUCO and Grad Transfers, it might be 3- 4 years before we make it back bowling.
Are you suggesting we keep doing what we're doing? Every successful program has graduate transfers and JUCOs.

Are you suggesting we keep doing what we're doing? Every successful program has graduate transfers and JUCOs.
Well, we've been getting grad transfers, but I don't remember JUCOs recently. I understand there are difficulties qualifying, but we need them in a bad way.

Does RU still have problems with Physical Education credits?

This route usually sounds good then produces little.
True if the expectation is we'd be bringing in superstars. We need to plug holes to get us through next year (and maybe the year after) to take some pressure off of our underclassmen and to allow us to redshirt a few more kids than we otherwise would. In other words, let's try to a find an R.J. Dill, a Lew Toler, an Andrew Turzilli or even a Nick Marsh (who I nearly forgot about but we could desperately use). And if they don't work out as we hope/expect, at least they're adding some depth.

The type of grad transfer that RU needs is probably going to a school that will likely be going to a 'name' bowl. If you can get them past the admissions standards, jucos are the way to go. These should be starter types hoping to step-up in the level of competition to showcase their skills for NFL scouts. not easy, but they're out there.

The type of grad transfer that RU needs is probably going to a school that will likely be going to a 'name' bowl. If you can get them past the admissions standards, jucos are the way to go. These should be starter types hoping to step-up in the level of competition to showcase their skills for NFL scouts. not easy, but they're out there.

Maybe not. You could be a good punter/kicker on a poor team, or a single good OLinemen on an OLine that underperformed as a unit, or something. Not looking for superstars - just need some people who have experience and can be consistent.

Its harder for RU to get JUCOs because we don't except certain credits like those for a gym class. Its actually easier for RU to get 5th year transfers because of our expansive set of graduate programs. So that is the route we have been and continue to lean to.

Reactions: Block R
Rutgers staff could take a lesson or two from the Colorado staff who aggressively put together a winning roster ...
Colorado has at least a dozen JUCOs: DB Butler CC, QB Scottsdale CC, WR Coffeyville CC, WR East Central CC, LB Coffeyville, DB Diablo Valley CC, DB Sacramento City CC, OLB College of the Canyons, DE Foothill College, OL American River CC, WR Western State CC, DE American River CC. The WR from Coffeyville CC is NJ native and former Maryland WR Juwann Winfree. And this on top of transfers from Air Force, Westen Illinois, Pitt, Wyoming, Arizona State, Auburn.
Colorado roster:
http://www.cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?path=football
Colorado staff includes Matawan, NJ native Jim Jeffcoat:
http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1064&path=football

Last edited:
Reactions: sct1111
With the three QB's transferring out and maybe a few more guys who see their playing time as non existent there is certainly room to pick up a few transfers. This staff knows what they need and I am confident they are all over it. Many transfers happen next semester. Hopefully linemen!!!

True if the expectation is we'd be bringing in superstars. We need to plug holes to get us through next year (and maybe the year after) to take some pressure off of our underclassmen and to allow us to redshirt a few more kids than we otherwise would. In other words, let's try to a find an R.J. Dill, a Lew Toler, an Andrew Turzilli or even a Nick Marsh (who I nearly forgot about but we could desperately use). And if they don't work out as we hope/expect, at least they're adding some depth.
True, a few more of those guys and not so many Zach Allens.

Rutgers staff could take a lesson or two from the Colorado staff who aggressively put together a winning roster ...
Colorado has at least a dozen JUCOs: DB Butler CC, QB Scottsdale CC, WR Coffeyville CC, WR East Central CC, LB Coffeyville, DB Diablo Valley CC, DB Sacramento City CC, OLB College of the Canyons, DE Foothill College, OL American River CC, WR Western State CC, DE American River CC. The WR from Coffeyville CC is NJ native and former Maryland WR Juwann Winfree. And this on top of transfers from Air Force, Westen Illinois, Pitt, Wyoming, Arizona State, Auburn.
Colorado roster:
http://www.cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?path=football
Colorado staff includes Matawan, NJ native Jim Jeffcoat:
http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1064&path=football
Good post, but bad point on Juwann Winfree. Thank god that kid didn't come here. What a headcase.

Reactions: redking
I keep reading here that RU's policies around JUCO credits are an obstacle. Assuming the student athlete earned 60 credits at his JUCO, but Rutgers only accepts 48 of them, or the athlete completes a summer course or two at RU to get to 48, then that athlete is eligible to play. I know of quite a few non-athletes who transferred into RU after JUCO and most of their credits were accepted. So is there really an issue with athletes or is that just an excuse?

Ok, but not one, man. More like five.

HUH???!!! When was the last time you saw a JUCO come in and make an IMMEDIATE impact here? Typically their 1st season, almost the entire year, is spent adjusting to game day speed at this level. 5 JUCO's? Into RU in the same year? Lower your expectations my friends.

Now, transfers, especially 5th year guys, would be a huge A+ this off-season.

Reactions: sct1111
You feel same was about regular transfer students?

not sure what ur question is asking me. my comment was in regards to a poster saying he wanted 5 jucos. the discussion was centered around marfo. but i dont understand your question. sorry! :) what were u asking?

not sure what ur question is asking me. my comment was in regards to a poster saying he wanted 5 jucos. the discussion was centered around marfo. but i dont understand your question. sorry! :) what were u asking?
You said you don't want JUCO's beciase the RU degree is worth something

I keep reading here that RU's policies around JUCO credits are an obstacle. Assuming the student athlete earned 60 credits at his JUCO, but Rutgers only accepts 48 of them, or the athlete completes a summer course or two at RU to get to 48, then that athlete is eligible to play. I know of quite a few non-athletes who transferred into RU after JUCO and most of their credits were accepted. So is there really an issue with athletes or is that just an excuse?

The problem they don't have the 48 credits that will transfer to RU. It is an issue, there is also a higher math requirement than some other schools.

HUH???!!! When was the last time you saw a JUCO come in and make an IMMEDIATE impact here? Typically their 1st season, almost the entire year, is spent adjusting to game day speed at this level. 5 JUCO's? Into RU in the same year? Lower your expectations my friends.

Now, transfers, especially 5th year guys, would be a huge A+ this off-season.
The only JUCOs I remember making an impact were Darnell Stapleton and Cameron Stephenson.

Reactions: cicero grimes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT