ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers football is closing in on a time when fans can ‘plan their holiday trips around our bowls’

I’m so tired of responding to you and your Clown posts 🤡. If facilities aren’t important , why is USC spending $300M+ on new facilities? Why is Miami spending something similar? And these schools spend more on NIL than just about everyone!

Of course the Maryland coach can say that facilities are not important, now that he has them. People are wondering why he hasn’t been more successful, after they blew $300M in new facilities.

We need a brand new facility of our own, which is why it’s going to be built.
If USC and Miami are spending 600 million on facilities, that implies that their facilities have been inadequate for a long time. Despite that, these 2 programs have won 7 National Championships between them in the last several decades. Problems at USC and Miami are never about talent or facilities. They're about coaching. When they hire the right coaches, they win big. Lincoln Riley wwas 11-3 despite USC's crappy facilities. Miami has underachieved for the last 2 decades because none of the coaches they hired were as good as Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Jimmy Johnson, and Howard Schnellenberger.

If USC and Miami are spending 600 million on facilities, that implies that their facilities have been inadequate for a long time. Despite that, these 2 programs have won 7 National Championships between them in the last several decades. Problems at USC and Miami are never about talent or facilities. They're about coaching. When they hire the right coaches, they win big. Lincoln Riley wwas 11-3 despite USC's crappy facilities. Miami has underachieved for the last 2 decades because none of the coaches they hired were as good as Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Jimmy Johnson, and Howard Schnellenberger.
No it doesn’t. Miami and USC have had baseline adequate facilities for a long time. Miami built new facilities in the 00’s to get to competitive. Competitive is no longer enough when you’re going after the best recruits. Your facilities need to be competitive with the best which is why Miami and USC are building them.

Coach Schiano is a football coach, not a magician. He doesn’t have the skillset to bridge the entire resource gap, and neither does anyone else. What he does excel at is talent identification on the defensive side of the ball, and that gap has shrunk considerably this year. Need more offensive talent.

As I said - obviously the resource gap (talent, facilities, NIL) is different depending upon the team.
Not everyone in the conference is OSU or UM.

Just trying to see where Rutgers fits in the Big Ten pecking order on resources - to appropriately set expectations.

Even if we were dead last in resources.
Shouldn’t HC Schiano move us past a couple teams in conference?

The resources thing is an excuse. Stop with that, Al. The bottom line is a theres potential for significant improvement in a lot of areas if QB play can be elevated from putrid to servicable game manager level.

The comprehensive stats don’t tell the whole story that the extreme Schiano haters continue to portray. We’re nowhere near where we were under Ash when we rarely could get the ball past the line of scrimmage and constantly faced 3rd and long. Brown got 3+ yards on a very high percentage of 1st and 2nd downs. That’s really promising for us if we can add in a QB who runs, is an occasional deep threat with. Strong arm, and can also complete the simple lateral passes to change things up. We were missing the 3rd piece with Gavin. We got to 3rd and short yardage too many times and didn’t convert either because of penalties or because the defense knew we were going to run up the middle. If we convert even a handful more 3rd and shorts per game that would make a big different for the defense on time of possession. I’m not sure where Gavin is with this and Evan threw too many picks against decent teams to be reliable. If neither steps up it will be another long season. We don’t have elite wide outs either but I don’t think that’s what’s keeping us from being decent. Aaron young is a good receiving back in the short game too. It’s critical that we execute those and I don’t think it’s asking for much. We don’t need a stud. Laviano, Giovanni, etc. Those type guys would make us way better from where we were last year. I think the surrounding cast is much better than getting credit for outside of the receivers.

The resources thing is an excuse. Stop with that, Al. The bottom line is a theres potential for significant improvement in a lot of areas if QB play can be elevated from putrid to servicable game manager level.

The comprehensive stats don’t tell the whole story that the extreme Schiano haters continue to portray. We’re nowhere near where we were under Ash when we rarely could get the ball past the line of scrimmage and constantly faced 3rd and long. Brown got 3+ yards on a very high percentage of 1st and 2nd downs. That’s really promising for us if we can add in a QB who runs, is an occasional deep threat with. Strong arm, and can also complete the simple lateral passes to change things up. We were missing the 3rd piece with Gavin. We got to 3rd and short yardage too many times and didn’t convert either because of penalties or because the defense knew we were going to run up the middle. If we convert even a handful more 3rd and shorts per game that would make a big different for the defense on time of possession. I’m not sure where Gavin is with this and Evan threw too many picks against decent teams to be reliable. If neither steps up it will be another long season. We don’t have elite wide outs either but I don’t think that’s what’s keeping us from being decent. Aaron young is a good receiving back in the short game too. It’s critical that we execute those and I don’t think it’s asking for much. We don’t need a stud. Laviano, Giovanni, etc. Those type guys would make us way better from where we were last year. I think the surrounding cast is much better than getting credit for outside of the receivers.
Nice post!!
These kids have one more year of Jay Butlers training, one more year for the defense to learn the system.One more year of growth and maturity.
I’m hoping captan Kirk can spoon feed this offense to these guys and we can win some games s.
Let’s see what happens!

No it doesn’t. Miami and USC have had baseline adequate facilities for a long time. Miami built new facilities in the 00’s to get to competitive. Competitive is no longer enough when you’re going after the best recruits. Your facilities need to be competitive with the best which is why Miami and USC are building them.
Despite the fact that Miami built new facilities in the 00s, they've been less competitive than they were in the '80s and 90s. That's coaching.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Nice post!!
These kids have one more year of Jay Butlers training, one more year for the defense to learn the system.One more year of growth and maturity.
I’m hoping captan Kirk can spoon feed this offense to these guys and we can win some games s.
Let’s see what happens!

Yup - all of this. The thing is - every position group is significantly improved from what Schiano inherited except QB. We doubled down on our biggest recruit ever, and so far he hasn’t panned out. We didn’t have much choice but to ride him this year, so it will be what it will be. Recruiting a transfer over our prize recruit who left HS early to play for us just wasn’t happening.

When you look at where Ash was going into his last year, most position groups were a lot worse than what he inherited from Flood. That’s saying on lot on the defensive side where Flood’s whole backfield was wiped out.

It doesn’t matter how much you hate Schiano - there’s no denying how terrible the roster he inherited was. Schiano wasn’t exaggerating what he said about the OL and that wasn’t the only position like that.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
This thread epitomizes the posts below on X. However, you guys do realize that yessir, shelby are not fans, and you are just feeding the trolls. brg90 is a fan, supposedly, but can't get out of the zone of negativity and have a positive thought once in a while. Sad way to live. Easier to ignore the loser mentality of these posters than continue to engage with them and argue.

Last edited:
This thread epitomizes the posts below on X. However, you guys do realize that yessir, shelby are not fans, and you are just feeding the trols. brg90 is a fan, supposedly, but can't get out of the zone of negativity and have a positive thought once in a while. Sad way to live. Easier to ignore the loser mentality of these posters than continue to engage with them and argue.

I think they are fans with agendas. I’m sure if we hired Mike Houston one day yessir would be rooting for us. No idea what Shelby’s deal is. There are 2 extreme views posting here - the reality of where we are is somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
My sone was friendly with a PSU DL who was from Wisconsin. One day he asked him why he went to PSU instead of Wisky, his answer was the facilities at PSU were much better. Opened my eyes to two things, facilities are a significant factor and we have issues because I assume our facilities are not even as good as Wisky. This was pre NIL so that is a new factor but as we get up to full share we need to invest it in facilities.

Great stuff Fieldhouse Al….not only are you expert about Xs and Os and recruiting, you also study facilities across the country. And all along the rest of us thought you just talk out your ass morning, noon and night. But to expound on facilities too, wow. A savant.

Now that they will be in the same conference soon, I wonder how BYU’s facilities stack up against Cincinnati facilities. I’m sure others are also desperate to know. Can you tell us ?

This thread epitomizes the posts below on X. However, you guys do realize that yessir, shelby are not fans, and you are just feeding the trolls. brg90 is a fan, supposedly, but can't get out of the zone of negativity and have a positive thought once in a while. Sad way to live. Easier to ignore the loser mentality of these posters than continue to engage with them and argue.

I didn't realize Rutgers officially put you in charge of determining who is a fan and who is not. Wow, congratulations, by the way, how much does that job pay?

He’s paid to win
It’s year 4

He’s not getting smoked by Maryland bc we don’t have a field house or small NIL $

This isn’t the old big east - were in a league where results are expected

6-6 and bowling is the expectation

Win Wagner, NW, VT, Temple and 2 others

Don’t get completely embarrassed vs Nitts, bucks and Michigan

in a nutshell

A month ago you agreed with JayDog’s comment. Now in the go 6-6 or beat PSU poll you have strongly made the point that it’s better to beat PSU and go 5-7 than lose to PSU and go 6-6. Honest question since you seem to know your sports; What changed your mind?

My sone was friendly with a PSU DL who was from Wisconsin. One day he asked him why he went to PSU instead of Wisky, his answer was the facilities at PSU were much better. Opened my eyes to two things, facilities are a significant factor and we have issues because I assume our facilities are not even as good as Wisky. This was pre NIL so that is a new factor but as we get up to full share we need to invest it in facilities.
Our facilities are simply not competitive. Even our closest adversary, Maryland has brand new facilities.

“This was before NIL” is the only point that matters. Facilities are no longer a factor.

A month ago you agreed with JayDog’s comment. Now in the go 6-6 or beat PSU poll you have strongly made the point that it’s better to beat PSU and go 5-7 than lose to PSU and go 6-6. Honest question since you seem to know your sports; What changed your mind?
I never said 5-7. where did I even intimate a record?

Greg is supposed to win, he's not doing that really. This program needs to have a vision, a strategy for how we get to where we want and we simply don't have that. Beating psu and the Wisconsin regularly should be a priority. Set that goal and work towards it in recruiting, team make up etc etc and things will go where we want.

perception of the program is terrible both at home and in the media. That needs to change and beating up on temple and wagner won't change that. we need to beat psu, we need to beat wisconsin, we need to have competitive games against michigan and osu. We need to stop losing games we shoujld win against iowa and nebraska but psu is the mark, need that mark

lol, one example and it opened your eyes? You know there are a ton of examples that counter this so will you open them wider?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT