ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers football is closing in on a time when fans can ‘plan their holiday trips around our bowls’

Don’t forget that Penn State also has an all universe 5* recruit at QB that year (Hackenberg). Per our fans we would never get a recruit like Gavin without Greg and when you get a 4* QB or better that’s supposed to change everything right?….. right?

Want to talk about "unreasonable expectations"?
Look through the Wimsatt commitment/signing thread.
I think he's supposed to lead us to the Big Ten Championship game this season and again next season.

Funny how the people preaching "Need more time. Stop giving unreasonable expectations. It takes years" always conveniently forget they were the ones at the forefront of making unreasonable expectations when HC Schiano was hired or when Wimsatt was recruited.

With Schiano, the defense has significantly improved, and we will see that in the results this year. Offense probably needs two more recruiting classes, though we should see some improvement this year.
Has there ever been a defense that scores more than the offense ? We'll need that to happen.

Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Minny, and NW. Our so called conference peers. Following the Covid BS year (21-22) how many wins do any of these teams have on the road against teams that ended the season ranked (i.e. turned out to be ranked teams) or against OSU at home? Add peers in the ACC, SEC, B12 to this list. The count is still going to be very low.

The bottom line is every one of these teams would also be very likely to go 0-5 against the hardest portion of our upcoming schedule (unless some of the teams don’t live up to preseason expectation - that could happen too of course but right now you have to go with current projections for expectations). The reality is any team starting with Vegas odds strongly projecting 5 losses has a very difficult road to a 6 loss season or better. Do you disagree with this math? It means you can only lose one more game out 7 to get to a bowl.
There are 4-5 outright trainwrecks on the schedule, and I mean complete trainwrecks, at least up to last season: Wagner (127 at 1AA), Temple (118), Northwestern (114), Virginia Tech (104), and Indiana (81). Maryland is a toss up, an amazingly inconsistent, streaky team, impossible to predict from one week to the next, but certainly no powerhouse. Iowa and Wisconsin are unknown at this point; they were not great last year. The only 3 sure brick walls are Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

4 years in, 6 wins is very doable since 5 are almost gimmes, 7 is not a big stretch--if you have a great coach. It looks hard because Schiano to date has put a bad product on the field, not mediocre, bad. Last year the offense was 5th worst in yards per game, 8th worst in points per game. He's dead in the water and even 5 wins will be a struggle until he fixes his offense. Firing his OC is a sign that he didn't need more time to get talent: what he was doing just wasn't working. A great coach would've done better. Schiano was the safe choice, not a great one.

There are 4-5 outright trainwrecks on the schedule, and I mean complete trainwrecks, at least up to last season: Wagner (127 at 1AA), Temple (118), Northwestern (114), Virginia Tech (104), and Indiana (81). Maryland is a toss up, an amazingly inconsistent, streaky team, impossible to predict from one week to the next, but certainly no powerhouse. Iowa and Wisconsin are unknown at this point; they were not great last year. The only 3 sure brick walls are Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

4 years in, 6 wins is very doable since 5 are almost gimmes, 7 is not a big stretch--if you have a great coach. It looks hard because Schiano to date has put a bad product on the field, not mediocre, bad. Last year the offense was 5th worst in yards per game, 8th worst in points per game. He's dead in the water and even 5 wins will be a struggle until he fixes his offense. Firing his OC is a sign that he didn't need more time to get talent: what he was doing just wasn't working. A great coach would've done better. Schiano was the safe choice, not a great one.
worse than hiring him was the contract length. there was a chance he'd be successful. now that we see he's not, we're stuck with him for 4 more years...

back to the '5 unwinnable games excuse'. he's the reason so many are unwinnable. that's should definitely not be a defense of him.

Put me in an MLB lineup and I'd bat 0 for 100. Would the explanation be 'the pitchers are too good so it's not my fault'? Of course not....but that's the logic the Schiano defenders use. In reality, he's clearly not good enough to compete just like I'm not good enough to hit MLB pitching.

Want to talk about "unreasonable expectations"?
Look through the Wimsatt commitment/signing thread.
I think he's supposed to lead us to the Big Ten Championship game this season and again next season.

Funny how the people preaching "Need more time. Stop giving unreasonable expectations. It takes years" always conveniently forget they were the ones at the forefront of making unreasonable expectations when HC Schiano was hired or when Wimsatt was recruited.

What does a QB projections turning out to be wrong have to do with the assessment that it would be a tough road to 6 wins for any team with our schedule?

They are not gimmies. Do you think NC State thinks VTech would be an automatic win each time if they played them 3-4 times? They beat them by one last season playing at home. Wagner is the only true gimmie. Temple is a game we should win but on a given day we could lose it.

On the other hand, @ PSU, @ Michigan, OSU, @ Iowa and @ Wisconsin are near impossible games. We have to go 5-1 or better in all the other real games not against Wagner.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
worse than hiring him was the contract length. there was a chance he'd be successful. now that we see he's not, we're stuck with him for 4 more years...

back to the '5 unwinnable games excuse'. he's the reason so many are unwinnable. that's should definitely not be a defense of him.

Put me in an MLB lineup and I'd bat 0 for 100. Would the explanation be 'the pitchers are too good so it's not my fault'? Of course not....but that's the logic the Schiano defenders use. In reality, he's clearly not good enough to compete just like I'm not good enough to hit MLB pitching.
Last year's schedule was not excruciatingly hard. Northwestern was terrible and Nebraska fell apart and Michigan State struggled. Iowa disappointed. Minnesota cleaned up on an easy schedule. In a tough year our schedule can be nearly impossible but right now some of the programs that might make it super hard aren't doing well.

They are not gimmies. Do you think NC State thinks VTech would be an automatic win each time if they played them 3-4 times? They beat them by one last season playing at home. Wagner is the only true gimmie. Temple is a game we should win but on a given day we could lose it.

On the other hand, @ PSU, @ Michigan, OSU, @ Iowa and @ Wisconsin are near impossible games. We have to go 5-1 or better in all the other real games not against Wagner.
Teams ranked lower than 100 SHOULD be pretty easy for an allegedly great coach to win. I don't care if NC State struggled against a rival. Those teams were rock bottom bad last year.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Teams ranked lower than 100 SHOULD be pretty easy for an allegedly great coach to win. I don't care if NC State struggled against a rival. Those teams were rock bottom bad last year.
Sure - how’d that theory work out for Pike playing the bottom half of the conference? Only Wagner is the equivalent of playing Central CT types,

Last year's schedule was not excruciatingly hard. Northwestern was terrible and Nebraska fell apart and Michigan State struggled. Iowa disappointed. Minnesota cleaned up on an easy schedule. In a tough year our schedule can be nearly impossible but right now some of the programs that might make it super hard aren't doing well.
We didn’t play NW last year.

Sure - how’d that theory work out for Pike playing the bottom half of the conference? Only Wagner is the equivalent of playing Central CT types,
This is the excuses I'm talking about. You're already making excuses for not beating teams that are ranked 100 or worse. If you can't beat a bottom 5 or bottom 10 team 4 years in you should get out of the business. Kansas played top ranked teams tough 2 years in.

Reactions: Son of Red
No pressure, not with 4 years left on his contract.

Loser logic. ‘5 automatic losses’ is not an excuse. It’s the damning proof he’s failing.

There shouldn’t be any automatic losses. That may not always be realistic, but 5 is unacceptable.
Many thought the same thing about Ash's contract. Rutgers had far less revenue then.

It will probably be the mass of fans that make the decision. When ticket and donation revenue drops or threatens to drop such that a change is warranted by the numbers, Hobbs has shown he will make the change. If the stadium is empty in the second half of this yr or season Tix sales fall off a cliff, the hot seat will be next year.

I do have my doubts because of the QB and WR play and the apparently relatively low ceiling of each. The offensive philosophy also gives me pause because it seems to have a ceiling of 6-7 wins in good years and 4-5 in less good years.

The defense could be very solid though.

Might as well just let it play out for the next month and not worry. If they don't beat NW, Temple, and VT, the path to long term success for GS will be looking fairly narrow.

If they can get to averaging six wins per year for a bit that could put Rutgers in a good place whenever it comes time to make the next hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
This is the excuses I'm talking about. You're already making excuses for not beating teams that are ranked 100 or worse. If you can't beat a bottom 5 or bottom 10 team 4 years in you should get out of the business. Kansas played top ranked teams tough 2 years in.

Huh? Who said we’re not going to beat any of those teams? We could win 4 of 6 of them though and still come up short for bowl eligibility. I’m just saying that winning 5 of 6 games against real teams is never “easy”.

Many thought the same thing about Ash's contract. Rutgers had far less revenue then.

It will probably be the mass of fans that make the decision. When ticket and donation revenue drops or threatens to drop such that a change is warranted by the numbers, Hobbs has shown he will make the change. If the stadium is empty in the second half of this yr or season Tix sales fall off a cliff, the hot seat will be next year.

I do have my doubts because of the QB and WR play and the apparently relatively low ceiling of each. The offensive philosophy also gives me pause because it seems to have a ceiling of 6-7 wins in good years and 4-5 in less good years.

The defense could be very solid though.

Might as well just let it play out for the next month and not worry. If they don't beat NW, Temple, and VT, the path to long term success for GS will be looking fairly narrow.

If they can get to averaging six wins per year for a bit that could put Rutgers in a good place whenever it comes time to make the next hire.
I agree generally. RU has less revenue under Ash, but also had a lot less $ to eat. If this year goes as I expect (1 conf win), the downward slide will be irreversible. And I think it would just be too costly to fire him.

Hobbs went 'all-in' with the 8 year contract and we're stuck with the consequences for at least 4 more years.

We had the 95th ranked scoring defense in the country last year. Only RutgersAl who quite literally pleasures himself to images of Greg would find this acceptable

This isn't quite fair. Advanced stats, which are also schedule adjusted, have the 2022 Rutgers defense ranked about 50th. That seems like what would match what was seen on the field.

At the same time, the 2022 Rutgers offense was ranked 120th. That is horrible and inexcusable. I don't care how many injuries you have, you should never be worse than almost all G5 teams.

If the Defense improves to about 30th and the offense to 80th (still below average), the team should do better this year. I think these are reasonable expectations. The offense doesn't even have to be good, but below average is not too much to expect.

Rutgers was in the neighborhood of teams like Virginia, Stanford, and Georgia Tech last year. They were all complete disasters. It is time to be better now.

BTW, Virginia Tech was ranked worse than 100th on offense last year and 70th on defense. And the game is at home. It is completely reasonable to expect a win that game and to view a loss as a major disappointment.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I agree generally. RU has less revenue under Ash, but also had a lot less $ to eat. If this year goes as I expect (1 conf win), the downward slide will be irreversible. And I think it would just be too costly to fire him.

Hobbs went 'all-in' with the 8 year contract and we're stuck with the consequences for at least 4 more years.

Hobbs really didn't go all in with the contract. It was pretty well known at the time that he didn't want Schiano at the price that was available, but was more forced into it by donors and fans. This is not a situation where Hobbs staked his reputation on Schiano. In fact, it was more the opposite.

Most of the other names that were in contention last time would not have worked out. But not all. Bielema probably would have taken the job and he's done pretty well at Illinois.

Huh? Who said we’re not going to beat any of those teams? We could win 4 of 6 of them though and still come up short for bowl eligibility. I’m just saying that winning 5 of 6 games against real teams is never “easy”.

Rutgers should be no worse than about the 60th best team. 90th - 100th, as they were last year, was a step back. Had they been in that range last year, they would have won six or seven games.

Rutgers has enough resources where it should not be the bottom rung of P5 teams, and should be above most G5 teams. That is not unreasonable at all.

Hobbs really didn't go all in with the contract. It was pretty well known at the time that he didn't want Schiano at the price that was available, but was more forced into it by donors and fans. This is not a situation where Hobbs staked his reputation on Schiano. In fact, it was more the opposite.

Most of the other names that were in contention last time would not have worked out. But not all. Bielema probably would have taken the job and he's done pretty well at Illinois.
Nah, he wasn't forced into an 8 yr contract by donors and fans. You want to say public pressure forced him to hire Schiano, I can buy that. But he took a huge, unforced and unnecessary gamble with 3 extra years he had no real reason to do.

Rutgers should be no worse than about the 60th best team. 90th - 100th, as they were last year, was a step back. Had they been in that range last year, they would have won six or seven games.

Rutgers has enough resources where it should not be the bottom rung of P5 teams, and should be above most G5 teams. That is not unreasonable at all.
Okay - but whose to say Maryland, Michigan State, Indiana, VTech etc. will belong in that group? Maryland won 8 games last year. Michigan State won 5 games last season (more than us). Indiana won the same number of games as us last year. Again - we can only lose one out of those games plus NW, Temple and VTech to go bowling. We were a 4 win team. We’re hoping we improved but so are all these other teams.

Okay - but whose to say Maryland, Michigan State, Indiana, VTech etc. will belong in that group? Maryland won 8 games last year. Michigan State won 5 games last season (more than us). Indiana won the same number of games as us last year. Again - we can only lose one out of those games plus NW, Temple and VTech to go bowling. We were a 4 win team. We’re hoping we improved but so are all these other teams.

I'm just talking objectively. A reasonable goal on a year in year out basis is to be around top 40. That's about what they should be recruiting to, and in turn what they should be playing to. That will get to a bowl most years.

As for this year, moving to 60th would show a step in the right direction. While we don't know how the season will play out, VT, IN, NW, Tem are all expected to be significantly below that range. So yes, they should be beating all of them.

Reactions: MADHAT1
It’s been a ‘process’ for 8 years now, 3 of them with Greg… gimme a break. UConn loved Randy Edsall too! How all of you can’t see this is a lifeless coach just milking the remaining $16 million because he won’t get it if he resigns is beyond me. This isn’t hard to figure out, it’s not fun as a Rutgers fan, it sucks when you a realistic about it, but that’s the only way we’re going to be competitive in this conference. We have to have the hard conversations
Replace the batteries in your sarcasm meter.

This ignores the context of our situation. We swept the non conference last year. That’s as good as you can do. We have the least resources of any Big Ten School, so our Big Ten results make sense. Maryland spent upwards of $300M on a new Football Facility. Subsequently, they have left us in the dust as they have been able to recruit a top notch QB, something that we don’t have, which gives them a huge advantage.

This ignores the context of our situation. We swept the non conference last year. That’s as good as you can do. We have the least resources of any Big Ten School, so our Big Ten results make sense. Maryland spent upwards of $300M on a new Football Facility. Subsequently, they have left us in the dust as they have been able to recruit a top notch QB, something that we don’t have, which gives them a huge advantage.
Huge advantage eh? So I guess RutgersAL knows more that Mike Lockesly about Maryland football as he literally said the opposite 2 months ago claiming how now with NIL, kids ‘Will get dressed in a trash can for $25k’

Al, honestly, what’s it like always being wrong? It can’t be a good feeling

Huge advantage eh? So I guess RutgersAL knows more that Mike Lockesly about Maryland football as he literally said the opposite 2 months ago claiming how now with NIL, kids ‘Will get dressed in a trash can for $25k’

Al, honestly, what’s it like always being wrong? It can’t be a good feeling

So what? The majority of Mike Locksley kids aren’t getting 25K, or anything for that matter. As are our kids. A few of our kids are getting something, but it’s nothing more than nominal. Having little NIL support and lacking a top notch facility doesn’t give us much of a value proposition.

That’s why it is important for us to have a top notch facility. Because most of our conference peers already have one. The fact that we don’t, puts us at a significant recruiting disadvantage.

So what? The majority of Mike Locksley kids aren’t getting 25K, or anything for that matter. As are our kids. A few of our kids are getting something, but it’s nothing more than nominal. Having little NIL support and lacking a top notch facility doesn’t give us much of a value proposition.

That’s why it is important for us to have a top notch facility. Because most of our conference peers already have one. The fact that we don’t, puts us at a significant recruiting disadvantage.
The clown car offenses of the last several years are a bigger reason for the recruiting disadvantage.

Reactions: brgRC90

So what? are you serious right now so what? This is a college football coach in our own conference talking 2 months ago about the very real new facilities that Maryland just built that you will not shut up about how that's what's holding Greg back are obsolete in todays game! There's nothing more powerful than the line "Kids will get dressed in a trashcan for $25k".

Sit down, shut up, hold your L and hang your head in sorrow Al

Fieldhouse Al…please, please stop embarrassing yourself. Every day another pathetic excuse to move the goalposts. If it were up to you GS would have a lifetime contract for 3 wins and 20M a year. Go away.

We haven't been able to recruit a top notch QB?? We did but maybe he hasn't been coached properly or maybe the players around him haven't. If there is any position on the field where coaching and player development matters it's QB. Raw talent only takes you so far at that position.

So what? are you serious right now so what? This is a college football coach in our own conference talking 2 months ago about the very real new facilities that Maryland just built that you will not shut up about how that's what's holding Greg back are obsolete in todays game! There's nothing more powerful than the line "Kids will get dressed in a trashcan for $25k".

Sit down, shut up, hold your L and hang your head in sorrow Al
I’m so tired of responding to you and your Clown posts 🤡. If facilities aren’t important , why is USC spending $300M+ on new facilities? Why is Miami spending something similar? And these schools spend more on NIL than just about everyone!

Of course the Maryland coach can say that facilities are not important, now that he has them. People are wondering why he hasn’t been more successful, after they blew $300M in new facilities.

We need a brand new facility of our own, which is why it’s going to be built.

I’m so tired of responding to you and your Clown posts 🤡. If facilities aren’t important , why is USC spending $300M+ on new facilities? Why is Miami spending something similar? And these schools spend more on NIL than just about everyone!

Of course the Maryland coach can say that facilities are not important, now that he has them. People are wondering why he hasn’t been more successful, after they blew $300M in new facilities.

We need a brand new facility of our own, which is why it’s going to be built.

What else are they going to spend the money on?
Have to justify asking alumnI for the money.
If they get to spend it, then executives will spend it.
Of course they are going to want to spend other people's money on stuff. It's fun.

When does having HC Schiano and his superior coaching abilit factor in?

We have less resources, less talented players, less everything - hard not to agree despite what some say.

But shouldn't HC Schiano provide an advantage over peer schools to bridge that resource gap?
Not talking OSU/UM bridge but to Maryland and such schools?

Despite his salary as the lowest - do you believe he is the worst coach in the Big Ten?
If not, then shouldn't our coaching make up for some resource deficiency and not be one of the worst teams in the conference over and over?

When does having HC Schiano and his superior coaching abilit factor in?

We have less resources, less talented players, less everything - hard not to agree despite what some say.

But shouldn't HC Schiano provide an advantage over peer schools to bridge that resource gap?
Not talking OSU/UM bridge but to Maryland and such schools?

Despite his salary as the lowest - do you believe he is the worst coach in the Big Ten?
If not, then shouldn't our coaching make up for some resource deficiency and not be one of the worst teams in the conference over and over?
Coach Schiano is a football coach, not a magician. He doesn’t have the skillset to bridge the entire resource gap, and neither does anyone else. What he does excel at is talent identification on the defensive side of the ball, and that gap has shrunk considerably this year. Need more offensive talent.

Fieldhouse Al - are you still thinking 8-0 to start the season ? Am placing bets and want to confirm first.

Also, that means you’re putting Wagner on upset alert, right ?

Fieldhouse Al - are you still thinking 8-0 to start the season ? Am placing bets and want to confirm first.

Also, that means you’re putting Wagner on upset alert, right ?
It was 8-0 if we beat Michigan, which is a big if. Don’t think we’re quite there yet, though I’ll be rooting on the boys in the big house to give it the OL College try.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT