ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers football is closing in on a time when fans can ‘plan their holiday trips around our bowls’

no consideration of defense and special teams

If I remember correctly last year we didn't have a special teams coordinator after Adam Scheier left for Temple and a quick scan on the staff this year (correct me if I'm wrong) we still don't have one listed.
That's a head scratcher for me.

Kind of misleading. He didn't ask a professor to alter or change a grade. He asked if the kid could do anything to improve the grade - big difference.
No, not a big difference. It’s the same thing since what he was knowingly doing was pressuring the teacher. Doesn’t matter the specific ask, the purpose was to effect Barnwell’s grade change. The highest paid, highest profile person at a university (or in any organization) has a lot of power and influence, especially over a low-rung professor. He knew the power he had, and tried to use it. He was even advised he’s not allowed to contact players’ professors and did it anyway.

100% power play.

Reactions: Wolv RU
I have not seen one poster state that Schiano should be held accountable for not beating Michigan, OSU or Penn State. That is the cop out that Schiano supporters cling to when they have no way of justifying in year 3 of a rebuild in the transfer portal era a coach losing by a score of 68-0 to the likes of Minnesota and Maryland. And before anyone throws all the blame on the OC, just let's remember who hired the previous OC, and also who was ultimately responsible for recruiting the players that lost 68-0.

We are now in year four of a rebuild in the transfer portal era and have most likely the easiest OOC schedule we will ever have going forward. To expect 6 wins from this HC this year should not even be a discussion among the fan base, it should be accepted as a given, in fact, it should be demanded by them, and anything less should come with serious consequences. That is not being negative in any way towards the HC, it is simply what a realistic fanbase should expect.

So then your saying the expection is we should be routinely blowing out teams like Maryland or what? If your saying we should be playing those teams even well that still doesn’t put us as that likely to get to 6 wins. The reality is we play 5 pre-season ranked opponents and only one of them is a home game. If we’re absorbing 5 losses to those teams we can only take one loss in all the other ganes:

No, he’s saying it’s unacceptable to have job security with a 1-8 conference record in year 3. And a similar showing in yr 4 should absolutely get him canned for sure.

If not, we don’t belong in this conference. I hope Hobbs has the funds to fire him after this year else the 8 year contract will prove a catastrophe. Without the funds to fire Schiano if necessary, the contract was completely irresponsible.

No, he’s saying it’s unacceptable to have job security with a 1-8 conference record in year 3. And a similar showing in yr 4 should absolutely get him canned for sure.

If not, we don’t belong in this conference. I hope Hobbs has the funds to fire him after this year else the 8 year contract will prove a catastrophe. Without the funds to fire Schiano if necessary, the contract was completely irresponsible.
MSU, Indiana, and Northwestern are probably the only winnable conference games, so which are the conference games we should be winning that we’re not going to win? Conference record may only be marginally improved as we are still building the program and lack talent on offense.

So then your saying the expection is we should be routinely blowing out teams like Maryland or what? If your saying we should be playing those teams even well that still doesn’t put us as that likely to get to 6 wins. The reality is we play 5 pre-season ranked opponents and only one of them is a home game. If we’re absorbing 5 losses to those teams we can only take one loss in all the other ganes:
Really? I don't think I have ever posted that we should be "routinely blowing out teams like Maryland." I think you will find that my position has consistently been that Schiano in year 3 of a rebuild should not be losing to the likes of Minnesota and Maryland by a combined score of 68-0. And my position has always been that in year 4 of a rebuild in the transfer portal era the HC should be able to deliver a .500 team, especially since we have the easiest OOC schedule we likely will ever have going forward.

Reactions: brgRC90
MSU, Indiana, and Northwestern are probably the only winnable conference games, so which are the conference games we should be winning that we’re not going to win? Conference record may only be marginally improved as we are still building the program and lack talent on offense.
From the poster who started a thread that we could go 8-0 to start the season. Well, which is it, do we the talent to start 8-0, or has Greg failed to recruit enough talent to win 6 games total?

No, not a big difference. It’s the same thing since what he was knowingly doing was pressuring the teacher. Doesn’t matter the specific ask, the purpose was to effect Barnwell’s grade change. The highest paid, highest profile person at a university (or in any organization) has a lot of power and influence, especially over a low-rung professor. He knew the power he had, and tried to use it. He was even advised he’s not allowed to contact players’ professors and did it anyway.

100% power play.
Being able to read someone's mind and look into their heart must be an awesome power to possess. Here's hoping you use it only for good.

Without the funds to fire Schiano if necessary, the contract was completely irresponsible.
So one of the criteria for hiring a coach would be to make sure that you have enough money available to fire him if need be?? Isn't that like not getting married unless you're sure that you can afford the divorce?
A little bit of a defeatist outlook on life I believe.

Want Ash back, No.
Wish anyone else was hired instead, Yes.
Wish the 8 yr contract wasn’t absolutely absurd, preventing a 4 year reset, Yes.
4 year reset??

Not sure if serious.

If you can't see things are trending in the right direction I dont know what to tell you.
Compare where we are to where we were when Schiano got here.
Then consider what happened under the previous two coaches - where it was always trending worse instead of better. Complete opposites. And you want a reset this year?? Yeah, might as well start over with a totally new rebuild. That makes so much sense.

The funny thing is, I had these exact same interactions in year 4 of G.S. 1.0. People unable to see the big picture - just focused on the wins and losses. But it was obvious we were getting better - at least to most of us.

4 year reset??

Not sure if serious.

If you can't see things are trending in the right direction I dont know what to tell you.
Then consider what happened under the previous two coaches - where it was always trending worse instead of better. Complete opposites. And you want a reset this year?? Yeah, might as well start over with a totally new rebuild. That makes so much sense.

The funny thing is, I had these exact same interactions in year 4 of G.S. 1.0. People unable to see the big picture - just focused on the wins and losses. But it was obvious we were getting better - at least to most of us.
Plus this time around the conference situation is a lot tougher. Think back to GS 1.0. Playing a Purdue or Nebraska would have been THE marquee game on our schedule. Now they are some of the more winnable games we could play.
Remember our schedule this year includes 5 teams ranked in the pre season top 25.

Where did you get this idea???

What we is saying is we can’t be losing 37-0 to Maryland. Look it’s one thing the lose a game that was hard fought and competitive, it’s another discussion entirely when to close out the season we lose 37-0 never once crossing our own 40 to a team 0-3 their previous 3 weeks coming in…. This after Schiano’s excuse all year was ‘We’ll be better in September’.

Where Schiano fails is on offense. No offense means the defense is on the field longer. That is a big reason we lose big.

[You know who - No need to respond since the standard is that he is building the offense by getting better OL and RB's to slow the game down (and that it take a field house and NIL to get those types of players)].

What we is saying is we can’t be losing 37-0 to Maryland. Look it’s one thing the lose a game that was hard fought and competitive, it’s another discussion entirely when to close out the season we lose 37-0 never once crossing our own 40 to a team 0-3 their previous 3 weeks coming in…. This after Schiano’s excuse all year was ‘We’ll be better in September’.

I was responding specifically to the comments about expectations for 2023. Several folks are saying anything less than 6 wins is unacceptable (bare minimum).

We should not be losing to Wagner or Temple. But knocking off OSU or beating another ranked team at their place is a lot to ask for. If you assume those games are losses and Temple / Wagner wins (which is likely) - we still have to go 4-1 against Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana, NW and VT. Just because several of these teams weren’t that good last year doesn’t mean they won’t be better this year. We weren’t good last year either. 4-1 is a very small margin of error.

Plus this time around the conference situation is a lot tougher. Think back to GS 1.0. Playing a Purdue or Nebraska would have been THE marquee game on our schedule. Now they are some of the more winnable games we could play.
Remember our schedule this year includes 5 teams ranked in the pre season top 25.

Well beating Michigan St. fit that bill.

So one of the criteria for hiring a coach would be to make sure that you have enough money available to fire him if need be?? Isn't that like not getting married unless you're sure that you can afford the divorce?
A little bit of a defeatist outlook on life I believe.
Divorce isn't the same thing.

But absolutely yes. Not the coach, but the money. If you can't afford the loan payments on the stadium expansion, don't expand. And if you can't afford to hire another coach when it's clear the current coach should be canned, then you've paid your coach too much.

If we are 'house poor' from the extra years on Schiano's contract, it was an irresponsible contract.

People bring up Tucker's contract, or Jimbo Fisher's contract. If those schools are stuck with a coach because they can't afford to fire him too, that doesn't mean Schiano's contract was wise.

Last edited:
Being able to read someone's mind and look into their heart must be an awesome power to possess. Here's hoping you use it only for good.
Of course he knew. There's no grey area. That's exactly why there's a policy which forbids it. Every university has the same sort of policy. And even if he's too stupid to understand that, several academic advisors explained the policy and warned him not to do it.

Can't plead ignorance on this one.

Divorce isn't the same thing.

But absolutely yes. Not the coach, but the money. If you can't afford the loan payments on the stadium expansion, don't expand. And if you can't afford to hire another coach when it's clear the current coach should be canned, then you've paid your coach too much.

If we are 'house poor' from Schiano's contract, it was an irresponsible contract.

People bring up Tucker's contract, or Jimbo Fisher's contract. If those schools are stuck with a coach because they can't afford to fire him too, that doesn't mean Schiano's contract was wise.
The point about Schiano's contract was that nobody at the FBS level had any interest in him as a HC. He had zero leverage except for his cult following among some fans at Rutgers which he skillfully used to exploit a weak administration.

4 year reset??

Not sure if serious.

will you have the same rosy expectation if he goes 1-8 in conference again with mostly blowout losses ?

The point about Schiano's contract was that nobody at the FBS level had any interest in him as a HC. He had zero leverage except for his cult following among some fans at Rutgers which he skillfully used to exploit a weak administration.
He had leverage because most of the fanbase knew he was the only coach who could do the job, effectively,and in time we will be proven right. Highest attendance last year ever, and this year should be similarly strong. You could see it in the increased activity on this messageboard where many posters who previously disappeared, have now returned. Need a few more years to be where we want to be, but this year is an opportunity, not a guarantee.

Doesn't leave him with much wiggle room so I doubt it.
Yes I predict 1 conference win (NU), but the question was directed to Westcoast who thinks the program is on the rise. A rise from 1 win in 2022. big deal.

Predict Wins: NU, Temple, Wagner and VT. But losses to NU and/or VT wouldn't surprise me. I don't see a path to 5 wins.

Really? I don't think I have ever posted that we should be "routinely blowing out teams like Maryland." I think you will find that my position has consistently been that Schiano in year 3 of a rebuild should not be losing to the likes of Minnesota and Maryland by a combined score of 68-0. And my position has always been that in year 4 of a rebuild in the transfer portal era the HC should be able to deliver a .500 team, especially since we have the easiest OOC schedule we likely will ever have going forward.
At the very least, he should be delivering teams that aren't crippled on the field every single game. The team even struggled through every single win except Wagner. That doesn't inspire confidence.

Amateurs, look solely at W-L. People who are a bit smarter than 95 can measure progress in more subtle ways. Put it this way, if our schedule was Ohio State, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, Penn State, Wisconsin Michigan, Michigan State, Florida, Miami, and Georgia, would 1-10 be acceptable at Rutgers? rbgGC would cry, where is the progress? Shelby would say fire the coach with no means of funding a replacement. Hire anyone but it has to be below $1 million a year with zero guarantee. Dreamworld thinking.

Outstanding post stating exactly the truth. 95% of our fanbase understands it is a challenge but don’t look through a prism of Greg Schiano sucks.

Amateurs, look solely at W-L. People who are a bit smarter than 95 can measure progress in more subtle ways. Put it this way, if our schedule was Ohio State, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, Penn State, Wisconsin Michigan, Michigan State, Florida, Miami, and Georgia, would 1-10 be acceptable at Rutgers? rbgGC would cry, where is the progress? Shelby would say fire the coach with no means of funding a replacement. Hire anyone but it has to be below $1 million a year with zero guarantee. Dreamworld thinking.
No, I say if we’re too poor to fire a failing coach we obviously can’t do that. But I say that indicated an irresponsible, ill-conceived contract. It’s like having to take a loan to buy lottery tickets.

Again, Shelby, who do you hire in the same exact position if you are AD? The guy who did it once and knows the risks or the unknown? The one the rich alum support or someone who will have to learn trust? Pretty obvious. Even our AD didn't want to do it but was educated.

No, I say if we’re too poor to fire a failing coach we obviously can’t do that. But I say that indicated an irresponsible, ill-conceived contract. It’s like having to take a loan to buy lottery tickets.
This was an intelligent, well conceived contract because he is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten, and thanks to his presence, we had the best attendance last year, and this year, there is increased interest, judging by the increased messageboard activity, so his contract paid for itself.

Reactions: patk89
This was an intelligent, well conceived contract because he is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten, and thanks to his presence, we had the best attendance last year, and this year, there is increased interest, judging by the increased messageboard activity, so his contract paid for itself.
Go for it Al! Best RU fan ever. Still remember you predicting the 2006 season. Ahead of the game.

I call BS on 2022 season having the best attendance ever. I never was able to spread out in my seats as much as last year. Always big gaps of empty seats. 2014 was more real than 2022.

Reactions: EmptySeats
Yes I predict 1 conference win (NU), but the question was directed to Westcoast who thinks the program is on the rise. A rise from 1 win in 2022. big deal.

Predict Wins: NU, Temple, Wagner and VT. But losses to NU and/or VT wouldn't surprise me. I don't see a path to 5 wins.

Again - to level set - 5 wins means we either a) knocked off a ranked team on the road b) beat OSU or c) went 3-2 against the non-ranked major conference teams on our schedule (again every one of the ranked games are on the road except OSU). Any of the above would be substantial progress. It doesn’t matter what combination of 3-2 either.

Anyone saying a bare min of 6 wins just isn’t being realistic about where we are based on who we play next season. 6-6 would mean either a) 4-1 against non-ranked major conf opponents or b) winning record against non-ranked major conference teams (3-2) and an upset of a ranked team.

Last edited:
Reactions: patk89
Again - to level set - 5 wins means we either a) knocked off a ranked team on the road b) beat OSU or c) went 3-2 against the non-ranked major conference teams on our schedule (again every one of these games are on the road except OSU). Any of the above would be substantial progress. It doesn’t matter what combination of 3-2 either.

Anyone saying a bare min of 6 wins just isn’t being realistic about where we are based on who we play next season. 6-6 would mean either a) 4-1 against non-ranked conference opponents or b) winning record against non-ranked major conference teams (3-2) and an upset of a ranked team.
You do understand that Virginia Tech is an absolute mess under their second-year coach who might not last the year. To get to the three wins from last year will be a big accomplishment for them. Northwestern will beat Howard for their one win. Temple has a QB and not much more, but is probably the strongest out of the three, that should tell you something. Wagner is a given and so should be Indiana. That leaves 1 game out of 7 remaining in the 4th year of a rebuild in the transfer portal era that Schiano needs to win to get to a bowl game. Anything less is a failure.

Right on schedule Asinine Al chimes in…it doesn’t matter where he ranks in BiG10 salary. The value of a dollar to Rutgers is not the same as the value to Michigan. Since we can’t simply buy out a failing coach with an absurd 8 year contract like other programs can, no, it was not responsible.

We are not living within our means, regardless of the other programs.

Can we fire you, Shelby65? How much would that cost? You are a relentless boor where it comes to Schiano and have been from day.. well, I cannot confirm Day 1 sometime in 2008 because message history doesn't go that far back. But even in 2016 you were trashing Schiano when he was rumored to be headed to USF from OSU.

2020 was the same for everyone but certainly New Jersey covid lockdown was harsher than in many places. So, really, could Schiano have improved the team that much that year?

So I do not even couldn't 2020 as a Schiano year. So let us call that year 0.

But the 2021, 22 years count.. so this is year 3 of Schiano's rebuild and then you have the NIL monkeywrench and the loose portal rules and the extra CoVid year rules that change recruiting completely.

You may argue that those changes affect everyone.. but, ahh.. here's the thing. Things got EASIER for the power teams and, say, Big Ten teams getting a full revenue share for decades. They had more talent and got to keep more talent. They had better results and could attract transfers or pay them NIL money more easily. Things got more difficult for Rutgers with all the changes.

I think GS needs 3 more years but we need to see progress each year. Don't know what that means in wins and losses.. but being competitive in every aspect of the game is important.

We will know good football if we see it.. and we deserve it.

Last edited:
You do understand that Virginia Tech is an absolute mess under their second-year coach who might not last the year. To get to the three wins from last year will be a big accomplishment for them. Northwestern will beat Howard for their one win. Temple has a QB and not much more, but is probably the strongest out of the three, that should tell you something. Wagner is a given and so should be Indiana. That leaves 1 game out of 7 remaining in the 4th year of a rebuild in the transfer portal era that Schiano needs to win to get to a bowl game. Anything less is a failure.
We’ll see. NW and VTech are weird teams that seem to be awful one year and then suddenly they have bowl teams.

NW had a good defense last year. They held PSU to 17 points (10 point margin) and OSU to 21 (14 point MOV). They could easily turn out to be decent next season (Iowa style). I don’t know much about VTech but they lost to Nc State by 1, GT by 1, OD by 3, and Miami by 6. Those seem like games that could easily go the other way. If 3 out of 4 went the other way - VT would’ve been a 6 win team. I’m not seeing how it’s this given that these teams can’t be 6ish win teams.

This is the second time you are using Mary coming in 0-3. That was at Wisky, at PSU and home at OSU, a great majority of teams would have gone 0-3. They finished 8-5 with a bowl win over ranked NCState. Mary was pretty good last year. The issue is why are they so much better than us at this point in time.

I call BS on 2022 season having the best attendance ever. I never was able to spread out in my seats as much as last year. Always big gaps of empty seats. 2014 was more real than 2022.

By best attendance did they mean ticket sales or fannies in seats on game day?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT