ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers football is closing in on a time when fans can ‘plan their holiday trips around our bowls’

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
Greg Schiano believes that Rutgers football is closer to being a bowl team than not. The Rutgers head coach said this ahead of his team’s crucial fourth season of its rebuilding effort.

It took five seasons for Rutgers to make a bowl game in Schiano’s first tenure at Rutgers. Now as the Scarlet Knights are set to enter their fourth season under Schiano 2.0, the program is clearly in a better place than it was four years ago.
In a recent interview with NBC sports reporter Kathyrn Tappen, Schiano was asked what Rutgers football fans should be excited about heading into this season.

“We play in the best league and college football and we’re getting better and we’re just going to keep getting better and those wins will start to come,” Schiano told NBC Sports in the interview with Tappen. “And we’ll get back to the days when our fans could plan their holiday trips around our bowls. That’s where we need to get back to.”

Reactions: TM94goRU
He is not saying this year or even next year, but sometime in the future those wins will start to come. So, if we start out with some bad losses this year, don't worry, not a problem, you can start dreaming of that day sometime in the late 2020s when we will make it back to the Pinstripe Bowl. Anybody who doesn't think this guy is one of the smartest guys in the room is a fool, he knows exactly how to play this fan base, it is pure genius.

He is not saying this year or even next year, but sometime in the future those wins will start to come. So, if we start out with some bad losses this year, don't worry, not a problem, you can start dreaming of that day sometime in the late 2020s when we will make it back to the Pinstripe Bowl. Anybody who doesn't think this guy is one of the smartest guys in the room is a fool, he knows exactly how to play this fan base, it is pure genius.
He has definitely been more politician this time around.
It’s gonna go 1 of 3 ways for schiano next few years .
1. Team gets to be pretty good and he is hailed a hero again.
2. Ho hum . Team is mediocre . Makes a crappy bowl or 2 at 6-6 but program in the BIG still stinks (this is what I think happens).
3. Program still a disaster and schiano has pulled one of the greatest hei$ts of all time.

He knows he has at least 2 more free years.
I agree about 2 years but it’s not free. The team needs to show significant improvement. If he can’t get the team to .500 and above in 5 years, then it should be time for a change. However with the $$$ situation, it will probably be 6 years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I agree about 2 years but it’s not free. The team needs to show significant improvement. If he can’t get the team to .500 and above in 5 years, then it should be time for a change. However with the $$$ situation, it will probably be 6 years.
Money situation is improved. Each additional year is an increase in B10 revenue and the new tv deal also takes effect. Also the last 2 years of his contract are at 50% (this is incorrect) so it would be about as much as Ash was paid when he was fired if GS was let go after 5 years.

I've always said 5 years is the max any coach has to get to .500. I haven't found one example that went beyond that. I only found like around 4 examples that went beyond 4 years without a .500 record.

edit: GS would be owed 76.875% of the remaining contract. After year 5 would be 3 years left, so likely in the vicinity of 9-10M. We paid Ash about 8.5M when he was fired.

Last edited:
2. Ho hum . Team is mediocre . Makes a crappy bowl or 2 at 6-6 but program in the BIG still stinks (this is what I think happens).
3. Program still a disaster and schiano has pulled one of the greatest hei$ts of all time.
#3. Stealing salary since Day 1. Will fire the WR coach after the Indiana game in another stall/PR tactic. After the season he'll crank up the NIL excuse spiel and lament how just a handful of bad breaks derailed the season.

Reactions: jsol_05
Money situation is improved. Each additional year is an increase in B10 revenue and the new tv deal also takes effect. Also the last 2 years of his contract are at 50% so it would be about as much as Ash was paid when he was fired if GS was let go after 5 years.

I've always said 5 years is the max any coach has to get to .500. I haven't found one example that went beyond that. I only found like around 4 examples that went beyond 4 years without a .500 record.
Good analysis . I know cutliffe got to .500 in his 5th year at Duke.

Good analysis . I know cutliffe got to .500 in his 5th year at Duke.
Cutcliffe at Duke, Kevin Wilson at IU and Scott Frost at Nebraska were 3 who went past 4 years without a .500 record. There might be one more I cant remember. No one I could find that went past 5 years without a .500 record.

Cutcliffe at Duke, Kevin Wilson at IU and Scott Frost at Nebraska were 3 who went past 4 years without a .500 record. There might be one more I cant remember. No one I could find that went past 5 years without a .500 record.
There is a BIG example.
Northwestern coach Francis Peay had 6 losing seasons in his time there
Best record was 4-7 in year 1.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
This is actually a very fair assessment of what could happen. Any way you look at it, Schiano always comes out on top.

There is a BIG example.
Northwestern coach Francis Peay had 6 losing seasons in his time there
Best record was 4-7 in year 1.
Good find but had to go back 30+ years to find that one. I didn't go that far back and just looked in somewhat more modern times.

Gonna need to get a break in the BIG scheduling as well - hoping we don't get tOSU, UM, USC, UCLA, and PSU in the 2024 season...

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
You’re not a fan of Gleeson Ball?
-Run up the middle
-Behind the line of scrimmage screen to the sideline
-Fade out of bounds
-punt

Not sure if that is "Gleeson Ball" or "Schiano Ball".
Gleeson's introductary press conference spoke of a very different type of offense.

The proof will be in the pudding this year.
If OC KC runs the same offense as you described then wash and repeat the offensive struggles of the last many years.

Personally, I'm not optimistic about the change in offensive philosophy under OC KC but that's why they play the games. Hopefully, I'm proved wrong and we don't start the season with 3TEs on the field.

Not sure if that is "Gleeson Ball" or "Schiano Ball".
Gleeson's introductary press conference spoke of a very different type of offense.

The proof will be in the pudding this year.
If OC KC runs the same offense as you described then wash and repeat the offensive struggles of the last many years.

Personally, I'm not optimistic about the change in offensive philosophy under OC KC but that's why they play the games. Hopefully, I'm proved wrong and we don't start the season with 3TEs on the field.

Depends on what you mean by "start the season". If all the TEs are healthy there's some talent there, and including some 3 TE formations in the O makes sense. If you mean it's the base formation then I agree with you.

There was a lot of pomp surrounding his hire. And, that really was the best that he and all of his supporters could have asked for. But, after the first season came and went (and the one after that), I was left wondering "what's the plan to achieve the kind of success you're talking about (and which guaranteed you an 8-year deal)"?

There's a lot of talk about changing culture (and, of course, raising these kids to be great men .. can't forget that one). But, when are you going to start winning those recruiting battles for the best and brightest? Is that year 2 or 6? When do you start beating the good teams in the league? In year 3 or year 7? And, how are you going to get there? All of that has been a mystery to me -- and, a lot of the fans, I'm sure.

All I know is that we're here in Year 4 and .. like him .. like all of you .. I hope the team will be successful.

But, as someone much wiser than me said, "Hope is not a plan."

You’re not a fan of Gleeson Ball?
-Run up the middle
-Behind the line of scrimmage screen to the sideline
-Fade out of bounds
-punt
Hate to break it to you, but the OC runs the HC's system. HC doesn't micro-manage every play call, but the philosophy and 1950s game plan you mock is Schiano's philosophy. The Oklahoma State philosophy was more wide-open just like the rest of the B12, so recognize the problem wasn't Gleeson, it was and is Schiano. Firing Gleeson was a scapegoat/PR move. Ciarrocca's offense will be the same. A leopard doesn't change......

The AD needs to be talking to Mike Elko…current coach at Duke and DC at A&M and ND…he will be a hot commodity very soon.

Maybe GS turns into Saban all of a sudden but I doubt it. A good AD needs to have his options ready to go…hope Hobbs is that good!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
The AD needs to be talking to Mike Elko…current coach at Duke and DC at A&M and ND…he will be a hot commodity very soon.

Maybe GS turns into Saban all of a sudden but I doubt it. A good AD needs to have his options ready to go…hope Hobbs is that good!
Hey look, we the fans wanted Greg back minus a few. We clamored for him to come back and truthfully so far he has stabilized the program. Let’s see what he can do Rome wasn’t built i a day and neither will Rutgers football.

Though this is a different team, tougher conference exponentially it is eerily similar to Schiano 1. I remember his first term when he said on his weekly radio show , “ when we have 7-8-9 NFL types per class we will compete with the best . “ Not saying this year but hopefully by next year and those which follow.

Agreed. He is following the same pattern as last time. Each year they get better until they can compete with the big boys. It’s just harder this time as we are in the B1G not the Big East.
Exactly. It’s a longer pull this time. I’m one for stability as long as there is some improvement. Consistent 6-6 or 7-5 with bowls will be a step to 9-3 and better bowls. People dreaming we are in. NC anytime soon are just delirious .

Reactions: LOU-RU85

And to get him the salary would give the faculty and the Star Ledger a case of the vapors and make Schiano's salary seem inexpensive.

Exactly. It’s a longer pull this time. I’m one for stability as long as there is some improvement. Consistent 6-6 or 7-5 with bowls will be a step to 9-3 and better bowls. People dreaming we are in. NC anytime soon are just delirious .
Absolutely… most of those who bash Schiano have done that for many years going back to before 2004-05-06 etc. If he led the team to 2-3 -consecutive bowls the would bitch about it wasn’t the Rose, Fiesta , Orange … the best is Rutgers fans who criticize other alums and fans who root for the home team and those chosen to lead them. They’ ll be around soon to tell us we’re Schiano’s accolites.

Stabilized at 4 wins. Got it.
Shelby do you want Chris Ash back? I know enough of greg to know that he is making slow and steady progress. Recruiting is picking up and we just need a couple of competitive seasons to get Rutgers football back in high life ala 2006. I was there for that magical season and Greg is still a relatively young coach and has the right combination of being able to navigate not only Rutgers byzantine administration but also Trenton. So carp all you want but Greg is making progress, admittedly slower than i would like but compared to the two head coaches before him, I will take what he is doing a few years more.

I am just happy we have a head coach who 1) so far there have been very few negative player news. I.e. robberies, fights, DUI's, etc. Also I am happy we have a head coach who knows Rutgers Traditions because he built them! and lastly, I am happy we have a head coach who isn't dressing up in disguise and trying to alter players grades. It's fair to criticize greg but there are few coaches that are at the level of Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, Nick Saban and a few others. Greg is doing fine and I am confident we will get there under his tutelage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT