ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano: Rutgers football is closing in on a time when fans can ‘plan their holiday trips around our bowls’

The "Rutgers sucks" mentality did not come from this of any other Rutgers sports board. People arguing over whether a coach in the 4th year of a rebuild should be expected to win enough games to become bowl eligible has absolutely no connection to that mentality except for a few cultists who believe in blind allegiance to the current coach no matter what his record. Again, even thinking that this board has any connection to a recruit or his family's decision is simply delusional, this board has no affect whatsoever on Rutgers football at any level.
You keep sticking to this mantra but it’s flat out wrong. Is this board the primary factor in a recruits decision making! No! And this has already been explained to you. But is it a secondary factor? Absolutely.

Schiano had the benefit of following the two worst coaches in RU history. It reminds me of a former Director I knew who said he loved to take over dysfunctional units because it was so easy to look good making a few changes. We are slowly improving and I hope we can get back to bowling soon for the players and the fans but last year's results were scary if you look closely and margins of wins and losses. 5 wins is necessary for momentum and with a 4th year and 3rd year qb in year 4 of Schiano this should not be a big ask.
We have an opportunity to win this year, but it’s not a guarantee, due to a lack of talent on offense which the ‘24 Class will help rectify. So we’re on the right track, even if success isn’t coming as fast as we’d like. 5 wins should be doable, but of course we’re all hoping for more.

Reactions: pmvon
Let's hope the team is better than last year. Problem is so are Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc. They just reload, we rebuild.

Everyone is saying the defense will be good. I hope so. But Schiano needs to also work on the offense and "update" it.
We did update the offense …..transfer TE , couple of transfer WRs , new o coordinator , new OL coach , new WR coach and assistant coach, awesome recruits like Duff, Sam brown returns to an already strong RB room just no name a few.

That’s why Gleeson is gone , his offense was not ready or disciplined like we expect. It will be different under Kirk.
Doesn’t account for us being the 2nd most Penalized team in the B1G by the season’s end. And the lack of focus, preparation, and discipline lasted well past Gleeson’s departure.
I hope Kirk can be the answer and at least move the Offense to some sort of respectability. The continued 3 and outs have to end this. Games 1 and 2 will tell us a lot.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Waaaaay different in the sense that even if something is positive at Rutgers we have some who will literally crap on it in order to feel good.
I don’t think this is true . Lots of positivity around hoops , even when they choked away the season. Rutgers fans can see the big picture.
You can’t expect fans to be positive about the football program yet as they have been losers for years.

I don’t think this is true . Lots of positivity around hoops , even when they choked away the season. Rutgers fans can see the big picture.
You can’t expect fans to be positive about the football program yet as they have been losers for years.
Every successful program has gone through that growing period. Miami was close to canceling football. Florida State was nothing until Bowden.
We have some positive things going on. The unfortunate thing is, the last part of the winning formula is actually the winning!
Like him or not Schiano has his program going in the right direction.
Along with always getting bigger, stronger ,faster, across the board.
He added 3 tremendous coaches to his staff.
He continues to recruit better every year.
Also as I mentioned earlier in the thread. He is starting to put more players in the league.
All this adds up but again the last place fans will see it is in the win loss column.

Reactions: Scarlet83 and pmvon
We have an opportunity to win this year, but it’s not a guarantee, due to a lack of talent on offense which the ‘24 Class will help rectify. So we’re on the right track, even if success isn’t coming as fast as we’d like. 5 wins should be doable, but of course we’re all hoping for more.
Don’t forget to mention the lifelong ‘get out of jail free’ card Al: the Fieldhouse.

Schiano had the benefit of following the two worst coaches in RU history. It reminds me of a former Director I knew who said he loved to take over dysfunctional units because it was so easy to look good making a few changes. We are slowly improving and I hope we can get back to bowling soon for the players and the fans but last year's results were scary if you look closely and margins of wins and losses. 5 wins is necessary for momentum and with a 4th year and 3rd year qb in year 4 of Schiano this should not be a big ask.
Don't agree with placing Flood in the two worst coaches in RU History. Flood was the worst-supported coach in Rutgers history. Paid about $725K to start, was given crap budget for coordinators and assistant coaches, and had the diversity hire AD trying to subvert him and sell him out, running Athletics like a clown show.
Flood's record over 4 years was 27-24/12-19 including RU's best year in the B1G to date- this is when the idiots in charge opened the checkbook and hired Friedgen as OC. Flood was far from a great coach, and he let things slide, but he got little to no support from the AD or Rutgers. You reap what you sow.

Reactions: megadrone
This is the same discussion every August: Schiano is improving the team/it takes time vs so far we haven't seen much. So far we haven't seen much. Predictions mean nothing no matter how confident some are in making them. 4 years is plenty of time to see some real improvement and not just limping your way to 5 wins, only 1 or 2 of which are in-conference. He needs to produce already. No more excuses.

Reactions: Shelby65
You keep sticking to this mantra but it’s flat out wrong. Is this board the primary factor in a recruits decision making! No! And this has already been explained to you. But is it a secondary factor? Absolutely.
You and the rest of us on this board have absolutely no influence over Rutgers football as posters, your influence comes if you donate to the program in some manner, that is your influence, plain and simple.

Hoops used to be crapped upon only 4-5 years ago…” Pikiell ‘s not th guy”… you probably are having a brain fart. People moaned when Greg left. They literally were distraught. In his first tour 2001-2002-2003 there are current posters who hated Schiano . Guess you forgot. Contrary to some I respect anyone’s position here and thus believe that he will get it done . Year 1 and 2 are a wash and he deserves better from our fanbase . If he does fail then you can gloat.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
This is the same discussion every August: Schiano is improving the team/it takes time vs so far we haven't seen much. So far we haven't seen much. Predictions mean nothing no matter how confident some are in making them. 4 years is plenty of time to see some real improvement and not just limping your way to 5 wins, only 1 or 2 of which are in-conference. He needs to produce already. No more excuses.
Agreed. However, there are some posters on this site who are totally dedicated to Greg Schiano no matter what his record, he will always have next year and the year after. And if the administration does at some point say enough is enough and replace him, those same posters will not find fault with Greg Schiano, but blame the administration, fans, and alumni for not supporting him. Take it to the bank.

Doesn’t account for us being the 2nd most Penalized team in the B1G by the season’s end. And the lack of focus, preparation, and discipline lasted well past Gleeson’s departure.
I hope Kirk can be the answer and at least move the Offense to some sort of respectability. The continued 3 and outs have to end this. Games 1 and 2 will tell us a lot.
That was last year time to turn the page and look forward to 2023.

That was last year time to turn the page and look forward to 2023.
One of the takeaways from the Richie-Mike podcast resonated quite loudly was the number of injured players early in the season. Richie mentioned at one time we had only 66 active scholarship players available. So beside the obvious youth, lack of talent at key positions and install of new system it was not going to be a winning season. Elimination of excessive penalties , better depth and playmakers on O and the hope that Gavin can take the next step. If that occurs we can get 6 wins.

You and the rest of us on this board have absolutely no influence over Rutgers football as posters, your influence comes if you donate to the program in some manner, that is your influence, plain and simple.
Perception of the program is influenced by the board, which is what others have tried to explain to you, but you don’t seem to want to listen.

Reactions: TRU2RU and pmvon
Don't agree with placing Flood in the two worst coaches in RU History. Flood was the worst-supported coach in Rutgers history. Paid about $725K to start, was given crap budget for coordinators and assistant coaches, and had the diversity hire AD trying to subvert him and sell him out, running Athletics like a clown show.
Flood's record over 4 years was 27-24/12-19 including RU's best year in the B1G to date- this is when the idiots in charge opened the checkbook and hired Friedgen as OC. Flood was far from a great coach, and he let things slide, but he got little to no support from the AD or Rutgers. You reap what you sow.
Totally agree, maybe I wasn't clear. I meant the first time he followed Shea, who was the second worst, then the second time he follows Flood, our absolute standout worst. The bar was on the floor both times.

Agreed. However, there are some posters on this site who are totally dedicated to Greg Schiano no matter what his record, he will always have next year and the year after. And if the administration does at some point say enough is enough and replace him, those same posters will not find fault with Greg Schiano, but blame the administration, fans, and alumni for not supporting him. Take it to the bank.
This is his 4th year. He’s only had 3 and basically the 1st was to get his bearings. You make it seem like it 10 years with the year after year nonsense.

I sure hope we don’t get outscored 309-98 in the Big Ten games like we did last year. That was really embarrassing.

Perception of the program is influenced by the board, which is what others have tried to explain to you, but you don’t seem to want to listen.
Another Al absurdity. The perception of the program comes from sucking, a reflection on Schiano. As I said before, when I meet fans of other teams and say I’m a Rutgers fan, the polite ones grin and the others laugh. None of these people visit this forum I am sure.

In contrast, I’ll withhold external perception of you Al based on these boards because you are well aware of the constant mocking. I certainly don’t need to enlighten anyone on the this point.

Last edited:
Well if we do ( which we won’t) then our D is not as good as I believe we are. If we can get a reasonable and serviceable offense we can build upon that.

Nice try at silencing critics of the coach: "You can't criticize Schiano! It will drive recruits away!" Oddly enough, though, the people who make that argument like to tear down the fanbase and the administration, thinking that doing that won't have an effect on recruits. Do you think saying over and over "the AD doesn't support the coach (which isn't true) makes players want to commit to Rutgers?"

Reactions: yessir321
You are wrong . Perception of the program is influenced by the results on the field. Nothing less, nothing more.

Game. Set. Match.

Reactions: RU#1fan
One of the takeaways from the Richie-Mike podcast resonated quite loudly was the number of injured players early in the season. Richie mentioned at one time we had only 66 active scholarship players available. So beside the obvious youth, lack of talent at key positions and install of new system it was not going to be a winning season. Elimination of excessive penalties , better depth and playmakers on O and the hope that Gavin can take the next step. If that occurs we can get 6 wins.
Yes you are right. And these are not excuses , it’s circumstances that happened. Some won’t acknowledge them but they impacted outcomes. Like Vedral , Moses and of course Sam brown was a big hit. We don’t have the depth in year 3 to overcome that.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmvon
Another Al absurdity. The perception of the program comes from sucking, a reflection on Schiano. As I said before, when I meet fans of other teams and say I’m a Rutgers fan, the polite ones grin and the others laugh. None of these people visit this forum I am sure.

In contrast, I’ll withhold external perception of you Al based on these boards because you are well aware of the constant mocking. I certainly don’t need to enlighten anyone on the this point.
Al blaming Rutgers fans for the Team’s embarrassing play. What a crock of sh#t. Get a competent HC and we will see how the perception of the program will change.

Reactions: brgRC90
You are wrong . Perception of the program is influenced by the results on the field. Nothing less, nothing more.

Game. Set. Match.
Only simpleton’s believe this. What happens on the field is subject to interpretation, especially as we are a program in transition. More sophisticated fans understand that it takes time to build a program, and that the results on the field don’t matter for the first five years of this build.

• Haha
Reactions: brgRC90 and RUBOB72
Al blaming Rutgers fans for the Team’s embarrassing play. What a crock of sh#t. Get a competent HC and we will see how the perception of the program will change.
Ignorance at its finest. Embarrassing play is only happening due to a lack of talent. During Schiano I, we witnessed tons of embarrassing play, as the program was being built. Once the talent gap is erased, the embarrassing play will be minimized.

The best head coach in the world isn’t beating Penn State, Michigan, or Ohio State due to a lack of talent and resources. Let’s not even consider the fact that he is staying 500 miles clear of this job.

That’s what people like you don’t understand.

Why do you think you know what is important to every recruit and their family? I don't think message boards are a top decision criterion for recruits but it may play a role for some when schools seem equal and it may be important to some recruits. Because of this I try to limit calling out players directly for poor play and would never be derogatory, maybe just discuss stats and need for improvement.
No, absolutely not. Pure delusion…. No one currently or future on the team looks at this board or cares what it thinks, especially today in the NIL landscape

They do however look at twitter and instagram.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Ignorance at its finest. Embarrassing play is only happening due to a lack of talent. During Schiano I, we witnessed tons of embarrassing play, as the program was being built. Once the talent gap is erased, the embarrassing play will be minimized.

The best head coach in the world isn’t beating Penn State, Michigan, or Ohio State due to a lack of talent and resources. Let’s not even consider the fact that he is staying 500 miles clear of this job.

I have not seen one poster state that Schiano should be held accountable for not beating Michigan, OSU or Penn State. That is the cop out that Schiano supporters cling to when they have no way of justifying in year 3 of a rebuild in the transfer portal era a coach losing by a score of 68-0 to the likes of Minnesota and Maryland. And before anyone throws all the blame on the OC, just let's remember who hired the previous OC, and also who was ultimately responsible for recruiting the players that lost 68-0.

We are now in year four of a rebuild in the transfer portal era and have most likely the easiest OOC schedule we will ever have going forward. To expect 6 wins from this HC this year should not even be a discussion among the fan base, it should be accepted as a given, in fact, it should be demanded by them, and anything less should come with serious consequences. That is not being negative in any way towards the HC, it is simply what a realistic fanbase should expect.

Al,

You are spending entirely too much time on the internet…

If you think this board is the reason for the ‘Rutgers Sucks’ mantra, I have some beachfront property in Kansas for you…. DELUSIONAL, pure delusion.

You know what causes the ‘Rutgers Sucks’ mantra? Winning 1 conference home game in 5 years, going 1-8 in conference last year, ending our season getting b*tchslapped 37-0 to Maryland when Maryland was 0-3 in their previous 3 weeks coming in.

No one outside of like 20 Rutgers fans who frequent this board give a flying f*ck about what’s said here…. Heck you know this Al, if that were the case why would you start every thread with the goal of making ‘Message Board Geniuses’?

Stop the insanity

Reactions: RU#1fan

Al, you have gone on record stating you would take Greg Schiano over any other CFB coach including Nick Saban…. Sit down and shut the f*ck up. You’re an idiot when it comes to football.

It’s less about loyalty to Greg and more about a basic understanding that this is a hard build/rebuild and that it takes more time than 4 years. In 4 years your very first recruits are seniors. Also, Hard to recruit out the gate after such a disaster. Further the major programs have so much. Depth with years after years of high quality recruits. Many moving back a year because the other guys a 5 star etc.

One point on disagreement: The main (only?) argument for HC Schiano 2.0 was that it wouldn't be hard to recruit out the gate.

Specifically, the program didn't have the time to take 3-4 years to turn over the roster. ONLY Schiano could step in and upgrade the team immediately (unless we wanted to spend HC Saban money) and get the team competitive. We couldn’t take a chance on waste even more years of another coach finding his footing.

Well that’s exactly what is happening anyway.
I always thought that argument was false. As we are seeing - even if Schiano brought in the #1 class in 2021, those kids were playing for a couple years. The main argument in Schiano’s favor was ever accurate.

One question that would never get a truthful answer is:

“If we hired someone else and not HC Schiano in 2020 would people still be saying results don’t matter for 5 years? Unreasonable to expect to be competitive yet after HC Ash. Rutgers is different and requires more time. Have to wait until the HC has a fieldhouse then evaluate him.”

One question that would never get a truthful answer is:

“If we hired someone else and not HC Schiano in 2020 would people still be saying results don’t matter for 5 years? Unreasonable to expect to be competitive yet after HC Ash. Rutgers is different and requires more time. Have to wait until the HC has a fieldhouse then evaluate him.”

Does Greg get more rope than someone unproven? for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT